2020 Westlake Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mistral-kitchen.com/
- Phone: 2066231922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Belickis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mistral Kitchen is available for catering. Please contact our private dining coordinator for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Mistral Kitchen is available for private events. Please contact our private dining coordinator, for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Johannson 206-623-1922
- Cross Street: Lenora
- Public Transit: We are on the Seattle Streetcar route, with streetcar stops located conveniently one block in each direction on Westlake Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several independently operated pay lots in the neighborhood, we also offer valet parking in the evening. Street parking is available as well.
A word from Mistral Kitchen
Mistral Kitchen is Chef William Belickis' interpretation of a casual restaurant. Offering a la carte menus, with a mix of rustic and state of the art cooking techniques. The cuisine is fresh, with Mediterranean and Japanese influences and the menu changes daily. The wine selection features a range from rare, world-renowned estates to undiscovered and accessible bottles. Whether it's a snack at happy hour or a luxurious dinner, enjoy gracious hospitality and inspired cuisine like no other.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mistral Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (9)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (7)good for groups (7)notable wine list (6)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Great fresh ingredients. Aims to please. Very helpful with menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpigaSommDined on 8/20/2014Consistent and excellent cuisine. William is a gentleman and a phenomenal chef. The staff is graceful and accommodating. Mistral always makes our visit special. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and disappointingBoatfoodieDined on 8/10/2014Under seasoned, bland, uninventive,overpriced,poor service and knowledge of menu items....actually one of my worst meals ever -luckily the friends I came with were good company and forgiving of the restaurant I chose!
- Really fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Overall this was a great restaurant with great craft cocktails. The restaurant has a great open feel, with great attention to detail. The owner/chef came out to meet us and was just a really nice guy. Overall the food was very, very good. We had a lot of great small plates, including a delicious rapini dish, and a great presentation of oysters. we also had the tuna crudo, which was a little bland. The chicken as a main course, which is prepared sous-vide. We normally wouldn't order chicken when dining out, but our waitress told us it was the best chicken she had ever had, and I have to agree! Perfectly tender, but they also take it out and fire it in a wood burning oven to get a perfect crisp. Overall we really enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!charlottesvillefoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Some of the best food I have had in Seattle - interesting, beautifully presented and every bite a delight. The chef/owner is welcoming and sitting at the counter looking into the kitchen was fascinating. I didn't lick the plate but was tempted! The Hamachi crudo fabulous and the Manilla clams, especially the broth, were incredible. Eat here!Special Features:
- Not perfect, but closeBzzzDined on 6/28/2014So my wife did not like her artic char. She doesn't like so much. I do and thought my tastes were great! My steak was initially way beyond MR. THEY re-did and gave us dessert. The peppers and kale, etc really made special. Salads and clams hit the spot. Seemed they were sparing salt though. Our server was great. Once all the construction is done around, it will be a great urban stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpretentious excellenceParticularDined on 6/19/2014A unique melding of food artistry and comforting accessible flavor and mouth appeal. Not fussy, but elegant and sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thisVIPDined on 6/17/2014very cool ambiance; had a big group, they handled us well poor service - didn't explain any of the cheese or charcuterie, breads weren't "great" with the cheeses / meats out of the featured drink at 7pm??? was also out of wines we chose? pretty disappointed based on what i read prior to my arrival food was good, not great chorizo was a slam dunk, would order again
- Overrated, overpriced, underwhelmedimustbefamousVIPDined on 6/11/2014The food is definitely very good; fresh ingredients prepared with skill. But there's nothing we encountered that was truly exceptional, and exceptional is the game I think Mistral is trying to win. Ambiance is fair; the main room is noisy but the back room (where we were sat) feels like the spare room. Service is very uneven. Our waiter took forever to bring drinks - which she got wrong. She was of little help with the menu and pretty much left us on our own for the whole evening. Her support staff (runners, etc) were all very attentive though. For a $100+ per-person ticket Mistral falls far short of their competitors.
- Good food, slow serviceMarjorieDined on 6/9/2014There was a relaxed vibe, but the restaurant was fairly empty on a Monday at noon, so we expected less lag time between courses. Twice we looked around wondering what the hold up was. The food was good - each of our meals was quite tasty (we ordered the braised shortribs, the margherita pizza, the chorizo on lentils, and the half-chicken). All solid, well prepared and on the "foody" side with bright sauses painted on the plates, and non-standard grains like quinoa accompanying the main dish. The desserts were stand out: caramel banana creme and jalapeno strawberry shortcake.Special Features:
- Mistral Kitchen 5 June 2014 ReviewCruisersDined on 6/5/2014The food was outstanding. The staff was exceptional in their knowledge and ability to discuss the food. Our order was taken, then the staff kind of disappeared for quite a while. Until the food was prepared, and served, they were not very attentive. Once the food was delivered, the staff were far more attentive. The meals at our table, the duck, the Arctic char, chicken, and pork loin were outstanding. The accompanying vegetables were excellent. The decor reminds me of early garage/welding shop. A fairly high noise level once the place filled up. It was a bit warm also. I understand this is probably by design, and appeals to a younger, trendier crowd. However, the food and presentation were fabulous. Outstanding chef.Special Features:
- We just couldn't stop eatingBillymcVIPDined on 5/17/2014The menu is usually enticing, but the four of us were all over the menu with favorites to share (and hoard), so the food and wine just kept coming! The arugula salad had fluffy barata, the clams were devoured as well as the fresh oysters. With the red wine, three of us had red meat. The local ranch lamb, was done to a rich flavor, I had the literal, "fall off the bone" veal shank, and bites of the artic char melted in the mouth. The veggies on plates were local and flavorful additions. All was followed with desserts and cheese and then we realized it had been several hours of an eat-a-thon, so we bid farewell to the incredible team of servers, and can't wait for the next time.Special Features:
- Bummed outstusmoo412Dined on 5/10/2014I made reservations for the jewelry box for my mom and I. No one notified me that it wasn't open for lunch. This was for a special occasion, which ended up not being as special. The hostess wasn't very empathetic but our waiter was nice.Special Features:
- foodtourdeforceDined on 5/4/2014Varied and diverse, though not as hyper-local as I would have expected from a restaurant with a daily menu (Hudson Valley foie gras?). Excellent flavors in both the appetizers and entrees, it's hard not to be pleased with the chef here. I felt like the food could have come faster, but it didn't affect the meal in any way. Entrees should have been more substantial; I didn't feel cheated, but at their price point and given the comparable options in Seattle, a larger portion would be in order. I would come back and I would recommend it to others, but with the recommendation that they not come a) in a hurry or b) starving.Special Features:
- The following 393 reviews are from the Mistral Kitchen reviews archive.
- Great spotJackNDined on 4/20/2014Great spot for brunch, service was exceptional and food was also goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2014Went there for lunch and ordered a short rib and it was pure fat. I politely asked if I could trade it for something else and she said no I don't think so rudely. I said ok well I can't eat this and she came back and said she could. The overall experience was horrible. She made me feel so uncomfortable. I was so polite to her and couldn't figure why she was treating me this way. I had been here in the past for dinner and had a excellent time. I was so excited to come back, I brought 5 guest. It was a huge bummer. My soup and dessert was very good I think they have a wonderful chef but I can never go back after the way I was treated.Special Features:
- Thank YoujamesVIPDined on 4/14/2014First time here for restaurant week. A very enjoyable experience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar food and serviceVissidarteVIPDined on 4/9/2014in a fabulously designed eatery. What is so wonderful, is a chef and his staff who truly care and put so much joy and love into their offerings! It's just as good, as it was in Belltown but expanded!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TLCpotstickerVIPDined on 4/7/2014I had special requests. The server and the kitchen went overboard to make my lunch fabulous. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!HaveForkWillTravelDined on 4/6/2014Great food! Interesting and delicious combinations. Artistic presentations. Perfect sized portions. Really terrific service. Everyone was genuinely friendly. Must return to try more menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsMissyFromWoodinvilleDined on 3/13/2014There were four of us who went for dinner and drinks. None of us enjoyed the drinks from the drink menu, they were all a little odd/off but perhaps we just weren't in the mood for the herbal/floral notes. They had a good wine list so we moved to that and were pleased. The small plates and oysters were very, very good. Large plates were enjoyable too - however we found it odd that each of ordered a different dish and they all looked very much the same. Same shape and cut. We had the lamb, duck, short ribs and pork tenderloin. The lamb was the stand out dish - really wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday lunchPamelaZVIPDined on 3/11/2014My girlfriends and I met at Mistral for lunch to celebrate March birthdays. We ordered from the three-course fixed price menu and had outstanding food, served in perfectly proportioned sizes for lunch. The service was excellent and the chef even sent over an extra dessert since one of the members of our party had opted for two starters off the menu rather than a starter and main. It was a welcome gesture representative of the great level of service at Mistral. We all agreed that it was one if the best birthday lunches our group has ever shared together--and we've been meeting three times a year for 15 years in Seattle!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sure ThingsirilinneaVIPDined on 3/7/2014We've been dining at Mistral for years and have always had wonderful and memorable experiences. The menu is creative, short and absolutely delicious. Service is attentive and knowledgeable, but not all over you so you have a chance to enjoy your friend's company. Our server recommended a beautiful bottle of French wine. Stopping by for a cocktail, happy hour or dessert are also fun. Especially if you sit up at the bar so you can see the cooks/chefs at work in their beautiful kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/1/2014I have enjoyed the more formal version of Mistral many times, but this was my first time to have dinner in the more casual area. I took a special friend and expected a special evening. The service was less than attentive. I had to ask 3 times for the glass of wine that we had ordered to have with our appetizers. It also took close to 15 minutes to find someone to bring our check. The short rib that I ordered was good, but not exceptional like the other things that I have had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but too expensiveSamHDined on 2/20/2014I've been here a number of times and it's always good food and service. The problem is it's not stellar... but the prices are in the super-premium range. So I don't go there unless I MUST dine in that neighborhood and Farestart, Barolo, and everything from Tom Douglas is closed... or someone else is paying. :)Special Features:
- Perfect contemporary NW restaurantParkerVIPDined on 2/17/2014Love love love the menu. Amazing food with high quality fresh seasonal ingredients; creative menu and especially enjoy the chef's counter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cramped and mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Food wasn't impressive for the price and if you're wanting a nice intimate restaurant, this isn't the place. The tables were crammed close together and I could basically hear people at the table next to me chew their food. I won't be coming back.
- amazingDarrenDined on 2/14/2014This was a last minute Valentine's day selection. I originally intended to go someplace else but could get a reservation. Mistral Kitchen did not disappoint. Finding street parking wasn't hard. Hostess and servers were friendly and attentive. The food was out of this world. I got the lamb loin which was cooked perfectly. It came with a beet risotto that was a taste bud orgasm. My date got the duck breast which was also fantastic. The drinks were a little too strong for our taste. They smelled great and were creative, but tasted like medicine. Dessert was also amazing. The dark chocolate cake with poached pears and creme fraiche ice cream was amazing and so was the walnut cake with chai ice cream and poached apples. Would go back in a secondSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meal was very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/12/2014The meal was very enjoyable both with the level of service and the customizing of our needs. My wife requires a low salt diet and her entree was cured in salt. After serving and realizing that this was not suitable, the kitchen promptly replaced with asubstitute choice. All the service staff were pleasant and accommodating. Although that evening the menu seems slightly limited in choices, the food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect last meal in SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2014Artistic genius from the vibe of the interior to the crescendo from wine to apps to entree. Best Risotto dish ever. Foie gras was devastatingly incredible. So good you have to arrest all eating to sit back and just think about it. Oysters on half shell missed the mark. Pre seasoned with a few different juices including pomegranate seeds but tasted bland--we all agreed up front not to add anything to them but the 4 of us conceded that tapatillo was at least needed to make them better. Moscow mules in beautiful copper cups were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expecting bettertabaheeDined on 12/31/2013it was nye, and i thot that the food and service would be great. actually both were subpar. it was a great location and ambience for the night--but for the $$ the food really could have been much better and the service definately should have been better.
- True to local,organic and fabulousBillymcVIPDined on 12/28/2013The daily locally sourced and very inspired preparation of every dish makes Mistral exciting every time we go. The professional wait staff is very tuned in to various needs. Tables by front door are still tough with wind gusts, and overhead blowers make it hard to feel cozy. All in all -always glad we have had a fabulous dinner there, and rave about the interesting food preparations!Special Features:
- We ate everythingBSeattleVIPDined on 12/14/2013From cocktails and appetizers to dessert at the end. Two lamb, one fish, one duck entrée - all fabulous. Split the seared foi gras which will delight you (but too rich for one person to eat).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu was FabulousFoodieVIPDined on 12/13/2013The dinner was just amazing and the chef was very accomodating to a challenging vegetarian. By far the best meal I had on my trip to Seattle. Every aspect from service, to quality of the food and the wine pairing was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/27/2013Food was very good but didn't live up to reputation. Charcuterie appetizer and pork loin entree were excellent. Steak, lamb and chorizo entrees were nothing special. Selection of wines by the glass was quite limited. Biggest issue was ambiance / noise level. It was not a busy night but we were seated at a table in the lounge area and told the quieter tables in back were not available. ( it was empty all night so I have to assume they wanted to concentrate the patrons in one area to make coverage easier for the servers.). We were one of only 4 occupied tables but one party was very boisterous and the music was turned up too loud. We were eager to leave by the time we finished our entrees.
- Spot on foodnakedtonueVIPDined on 11/24/2013Great asonal; menu and use of ingredients. Current and delightful cocktails. Cozy and welcome atmosphere with very helpful, attnetive, and polite service. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- This is was our first visit.OdfgwtfVIPDined on 11/24/2013This is was our first visit. We went early on a Sunday night. We outnumnbered the staff. The food is truly great. The service I found slow and off considering the few people. The staff spent most of its time in a wine tasting at the end of the bar. My wife and I were dry several times and had to ask to get refills. The server put in the wrong salad and delivered it. My wife did not send it back because she said it was one of the best salads she has ever had. The server, to his great credit, admitted he put in the wrong salad and did not charge us. We will give it another try another day.I would recommend this to a friend.
- More low points than high pointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/23/2013Overall, I would give our experience a C+. Seared foie gras, arugula/burata salad, and chorizo appetizer were above average. However, it took twice as long as it should have to receive this food. We sat at the bar and were served by an aloof bartender. Not to mention the time it took to get our entrees, short ribs and lamb loin, which both fell flat on flavor. Wines by the glass list is hugely lacking, and the bottle list is top heavy with mostly expensive options. Big disappointment. Won't go back. Wouldn't recommend Mistral.
- excellent in every wayVickiDined on 11/10/2013The food was perfect, the waitstaff attentive, the space is interesting, perhaps a bit on the cold side with hard surfaces and concrete floors but nice. We were there on a sunday night and there weren't many other diners to no way to test the true noise level of the place, could be loud. It's in a bit of a strange location and we drove by it a couple of times. Will definitely go again. Loved it.Special Features:
- Food Great, Service Not So MuchAmeliaPDined on 11/8/2013Enjoyed the well prepared, top notch food, the service was fair. Our server was committed to selling food and getting us to say we were pleased. When asked if the charcuterie plate was enough to share, the answer was a big smile and "Whatever you'd like to be." Huh? By chance, my husband caught the ear of another server, who took the initiative to suggest changing our appetizer order to 2 half orders so we could sample both the cheese and charcuterie plates. This customer oriented act absolutely saved the evening. My duck main course was excellent. Our server steered my husband to the steak (the most expensive dinner) which he found oddly flavored and prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.