2020 Westlake Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mistral-kitchen.com/
- Phone: (206) 623-1922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Belickis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mistral Kitchen is available for catering. Please contact our private dining coordinator for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Mistral Kitchen is available for private events. Please contact our private dining coordinator, for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Johannson 206-623-1922
- Cross Street: Lenora
- Public Transit: We are on the Seattle Streetcar route, with streetcar stops located conveniently one block in each direction on Westlake Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several independently operated pay lots in the neighborhood, we also offer valet parking in the evening. Street parking is available as well.
A word from Mistral Kitchen
Mistral Kitchen is Chef William Belickis' interpretation of a casual restaurant. Offering a la carte menus, with a mix of rustic and state of the art cooking techniques. The cuisine is fresh, with Mediterranean and Japanese influences and the menu changes daily. The wine selection features a range from rare, world-renowned estates to undiscovered and accessible bottles. Whether it's a snack at happy hour or a luxurious dinner, enjoy gracious hospitality and inspired cuisine like no other.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mistral Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)special occasion (16)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (12)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding everythingNataDined on 11/15/2014From the person taking coats at the door to the waitress to the bartender and pastry chefs (who both visited our table) - everyone we had contact with at Mistral was exceptionally professional and warm. They run a tight ship which only adds to the already incredible food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dinner at MistralLynnNelsonDined on 11/7/2014We took an out of town business guest to Mistral Kitchen for a last minute reservation. The host was accommodating and our server was fantastic. We had two amazing bottles of wine and a charcuterie plate with ample quantities of perfectly shaved cured meats - enough to satisfy 4 hungry diners. Three of us ordered the duck and another the steak - everything was perfectly cooked and plate licking tasty! Keep up the great work - we will continue to rely on Mistral Kitchen when we want to impress.Special Features:
- Awesome food but pricey!ChrisZVIPDined on 11/4/2014Great food with imaginative creations. Amazing deserts so make sure you save some room for it. Expensive overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!celeonDined on 10/30/2014restaurant week was good. Portions could've been a bit bigger for what we were paying thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekyumyumDined on 10/28/2014I'd been waiting to eat here for about a year. The atmosphere and service were great. Maybe restaurant week portions are smaller, or I just need to imagine I'm back in Paris and spending a lot more money than this for a similar sized portion. I would have given for stars for the food but under my meluza fish that was not so flavorful the lucianto kale leaves were raw and cold...it just wasn't what I wanted under my fish. The roasted cauliflower was small but tasty with currants and the key lime pie was strong and one of the best I've ever had. Is ordered an albarinio white but got a Tempranillo red...not what my taste buds were expecting. I know the names should alike but it was loud do I pointed to what I wantedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Restaurant Week LunchSeattliteDined on 10/23/2014Three courses for $15. Can't go wrong. All of the selections were enjoyable.Special Features:
- Surprised!tslusk0501Dined on 10/22/2014I can't say much more than that. We were very impressed with the pre-fix menu for Seattle Restaurant Week. The pumpkin cheesecake is not to be missed. We did enjoy the foie gras off the happy hour menu to try. 2 quarter-inch thick round disks adorned with finishing salt... amazing. We will return for one of our weekly Wednesday happy hour adventures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for work lunch I guess....SpaceJunkDined on 10/22/2014If its close to work, then this may be an OK spot for lunch. We went for the October Restaurant week, and found the food very average. Next time I will spend my hard earned money at a restaurant that serves flavorful food. Do not expect this place to stay open much longer with the bland, poorly cooked menu.
- Small portions, poor service, OK FdJohnDined on 10/21/2014We went during Seattle Restaurant Week 2014, when participating restaurants are supposed to offer full lunches @$15 and dinners @30. Mistral handled that by offering tiny portions. The salad, main course (chirozo) and deserts were actually B+, maybe A- in a less foodie town, but it was hard to get noticed, and it took a long time for the food to come. We won't be back. One waitress was brusk at best; another was warm and accommodating, but neither could make the kitchen go any faster. And the restaurant was not full-- maybe 80%.
- Did not meet expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014We went to Mistral Kitchen for dinner during Seattle Restaurant Week as we had heard good things about the restaurant. Unfortunately, it was an underwhelming experience. The food was fair to good, but not memorable. The service was poor--our server did not seem knowledgeable about the food and drink menus, and did not seem particularly happy to be at work. I don't think we'll be going back in the future as there are too many great restaurants in Seattle to settle for something mediocre. Had the food been amazing, the poor level of service would make me hesitate returning again. Overall, I wouldn't recommend Mistral Kitchen to family and friends.
- Seattle Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/19/2014Overall the menu for Seattle restaurant week was quite good but the Entree vegetarian option was disappointing due to the fact that the portion was very small and my partner needed to order something else out of that menu. We provided feedback to one of the waiters and he reassured us that it'll be take it into account.Special Features:
- South Lake Union has a Place To GoKaseyDined on 10/19/2014Mistral is a place the South Lake Union habitués should be grateful for, it has a well stocked bar, interesting ambience, and good food. It would provide fun and relaxation at the end of the day. Our server was perhaps a bit too friendly, but we were there Sunday night, and the restaurant was not full. The bar was impressively stocked, but the drinks were on the weak side and still summery, there should be more standard drink options and fall specials. The food was very good, and the menu had been changed for the seasonSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Brunch!ErikaVIPDined on 10/19/2014Some friends and I had brunch here the other day and everything was spot-on! We started with the cheese plate which was fantastic! Then took advantage of Seattle Restaurant Week- which featured brunch items, which was very cool. Between us I think we tried almost everything and our food was just fantastic and beautifully prepared. I've come to expect that from Mistral now! :)Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchsirilinneaVIPDined on 10/3/2014Perfect place to celebrate a work success or a fancy lunch with co workers. The three course lunch is delicious and you'll find nothing like it or as good in SLU.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sit at counter...ChuzifoodVIPDined on 9/26/2014The noisy space and only so-so service were made significantly better by sitting at the counter, in front of the cook's station. The cooks are friendly, entertaining, and put out some really nicely prepared food. The experience, overall, was not a homerun, but we enjoyed ourselves, none the less.Special Features:
- NW's best at its peak flavorsBillymcVIPDined on 8/30/2014Heirloom tomatoes with wilted mustard greens and a melt in your mouth barrata started our meal to enchant our taste buds. The tomatoes had to be from in neighbor's garden -truly home-grown variety. Deciding between the lamb loin and duck breast was impossible, so we each shared bites. Both were prepared delicately, no fat in sight with the delicate bouquet of seasonings on the plate, and sliced thinly to bring out the natural juices. The finish was a coconut semifredda which tasted like a Dreamsicle (on a stick) that melted in your mouth, surrounded with coconut shavings.The Longshadow's wine was a good accompaniment, reasonably priced to enjoy with the meal. Mistral never ceases to delight those who truly enjoy NW finest foods!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2travelDined on 8/25/2014Great fresh ingredients. Aims to please. Very helpful with menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpigaSommDined on 8/20/2014Consistent and excellent cuisine. William is a gentleman and a phenomenal chef. The staff is graceful and accommodating. Mistral always makes our visit special. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and disappointingBoatfoodieDined on 8/10/2014Under seasoned, bland, uninventive,overpriced,poor service and knowledge of menu items....actually one of my worst meals ever -luckily the friends I came with were good company and forgiving of the restaurant I chose!
- The following 405 reviews are from the Mistral Kitchen reviews archive.
- Really fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Overall this was a great restaurant with great craft cocktails. The restaurant has a great open feel, with great attention to detail. The owner/chef came out to meet us and was just a really nice guy. Overall the food was very, very good. We had a lot of great small plates, including a delicious rapini dish, and a great presentation of oysters. we also had the tuna crudo, which was a little bland. The chicken as a main course, which is prepared sous-vide. We normally wouldn't order chicken when dining out, but our waitress told us it was the best chicken she had ever had, and I have to agree! Perfectly tender, but they also take it out and fire it in a wood burning oven to get a perfect crisp. Overall we really enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!charlottesvillefoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Some of the best food I have had in Seattle - interesting, beautifully presented and every bite a delight. The chef/owner is welcoming and sitting at the counter looking into the kitchen was fascinating. I didn't lick the plate but was tempted! The Hamachi crudo fabulous and the Manilla clams, especially the broth, were incredible. Eat here!Special Features:
- Not perfect, but closeBzzzDined on 6/28/2014So my wife did not like her artic char. She doesn't like so much. I do and thought my tastes were great! My steak was initially way beyond MR. THEY re-did and gave us dessert. The peppers and kale, etc really made special. Salads and clams hit the spot. Seemed they were sparing salt though. Our server was great. Once all the construction is done around, it will be a great urban stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpretentious excellenceParticularDined on 6/19/2014A unique melding of food artistry and comforting accessible flavor and mouth appeal. Not fussy, but elegant and sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thisVIPDined on 6/17/2014very cool ambiance; had a big group, they handled us well poor service - didn't explain any of the cheese or charcuterie, breads weren't "great" with the cheeses / meats out of the featured drink at 7pm??? was also out of wines we chose? pretty disappointed based on what i read prior to my arrival food was good, not great chorizo was a slam dunk, would order again
- Overrated, overpriced, underwhelmedimustbefamousVIPDined on 6/11/2014The food is definitely very good; fresh ingredients prepared with skill. But there's nothing we encountered that was truly exceptional, and exceptional is the game I think Mistral is trying to win. Ambiance is fair; the main room is noisy but the back room (where we were sat) feels like the spare room. Service is very uneven. Our waiter took forever to bring drinks - which she got wrong. She was of little help with the menu and pretty much left us on our own for the whole evening. Her support staff (runners, etc) were all very attentive though. For a $100+ per-person ticket Mistral falls far short of their competitors.
- Good food, slow serviceMarjorieDined on 6/9/2014There was a relaxed vibe, but the restaurant was fairly empty on a Monday at noon, so we expected less lag time between courses. Twice we looked around wondering what the hold up was. The food was good - each of our meals was quite tasty (we ordered the braised shortribs, the margherita pizza, the chorizo on lentils, and the half-chicken). All solid, well prepared and on the "foody" side with bright sauses painted on the plates, and non-standard grains like quinoa accompanying the main dish. The desserts were stand out: caramel banana creme and jalapeno strawberry shortcake.Special Features:
- Mistral Kitchen 5 June 2014 ReviewCruisersDined on 6/5/2014The food was outstanding. The staff was exceptional in their knowledge and ability to discuss the food. Our order was taken, then the staff kind of disappeared for quite a while. Until the food was prepared, and served, they were not very attentive. Once the food was delivered, the staff were far more attentive. The meals at our table, the duck, the Arctic char, chicken, and pork loin were outstanding. The accompanying vegetables were excellent. The decor reminds me of early garage/welding shop. A fairly high noise level once the place filled up. It was a bit warm also. I understand this is probably by design, and appeals to a younger, trendier crowd. However, the food and presentation were fabulous. Outstanding chef.Special Features:
- We just couldn't stop eatingBillymcVIPDined on 5/17/2014The menu is usually enticing, but the four of us were all over the menu with favorites to share (and hoard), so the food and wine just kept coming! The arugula salad had fluffy barata, the clams were devoured as well as the fresh oysters. With the red wine, three of us had red meat. The local ranch lamb, was done to a rich flavor, I had the literal, "fall off the bone" veal shank, and bites of the artic char melted in the mouth. The veggies on plates were local and flavorful additions. All was followed with desserts and cheese and then we realized it had been several hours of an eat-a-thon, so we bid farewell to the incredible team of servers, and can't wait for the next time.Special Features:
- Bummed outstusmoo412Dined on 5/10/2014I made reservations for the jewelry box for my mom and I. No one notified me that it wasn't open for lunch. This was for a special occasion, which ended up not being as special. The hostess wasn't very empathetic but our waiter was nice.Special Features:
- foodtourdeforceDined on 5/4/2014Varied and diverse, though not as hyper-local as I would have expected from a restaurant with a daily menu (Hudson Valley foie gras?). Excellent flavors in both the appetizers and entrees, it's hard not to be pleased with the chef here. I felt like the food could have come faster, but it didn't affect the meal in any way. Entrees should have been more substantial; I didn't feel cheated, but at their price point and given the comparable options in Seattle, a larger portion would be in order. I would come back and I would recommend it to others, but with the recommendation that they not come a) in a hurry or b) starving.Special Features:
- Great spotJackNDined on 4/20/2014Great spot for brunch, service was exceptional and food was also goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2014Went there for lunch and ordered a short rib and it was pure fat. I politely asked if I could trade it for something else and she said no I don't think so rudely. I said ok well I can't eat this and she came back and said she could. The overall experience was horrible. She made me feel so uncomfortable. I was so polite to her and couldn't figure why she was treating me this way. I had been here in the past for dinner and had a excellent time. I was so excited to come back, I brought 5 guest. It was a huge bummer. My soup and dessert was very good I think they have a wonderful chef but I can never go back after the way I was treated.Special Features:
- Thank YoujamesVIPDined on 4/14/2014First time here for restaurant week. A very enjoyable experience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar food and serviceVissidarteVIPDined on 4/9/2014in a fabulously designed eatery. What is so wonderful, is a chef and his staff who truly care and put so much joy and love into their offerings! It's just as good, as it was in Belltown but expanded!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TLCpotstickerVIPDined on 4/7/2014I had special requests. The server and the kitchen went overboard to make my lunch fabulous. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!HaveForkWillTravelDined on 4/6/2014Great food! Interesting and delicious combinations. Artistic presentations. Perfect sized portions. Really terrific service. Everyone was genuinely friendly. Must return to try more menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsMissyFromWoodinvilleVIPDined on 3/13/2014There were four of us who went for dinner and drinks. None of us enjoyed the drinks from the drink menu, they were all a little odd/off but perhaps we just weren't in the mood for the herbal/floral notes. They had a good wine list so we moved to that and were pleased. The small plates and oysters were very, very good. Large plates were enjoyable too - however we found it odd that each of ordered a different dish and they all looked very much the same. Same shape and cut. We had the lamb, duck, short ribs and pork tenderloin. The lamb was the stand out dish - really wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday lunchPamelaZVIPDined on 3/11/2014My girlfriends and I met at Mistral for lunch to celebrate March birthdays. We ordered from the three-course fixed price menu and had outstanding food, served in perfectly proportioned sizes for lunch. The service was excellent and the chef even sent over an extra dessert since one of the members of our party had opted for two starters off the menu rather than a starter and main. It was a welcome gesture representative of the great level of service at Mistral. We all agreed that it was one if the best birthday lunches our group has ever shared together--and we've been meeting three times a year for 15 years in Seattle!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sure ThingsirilinneaVIPDined on 3/7/2014We've been dining at Mistral for years and have always had wonderful and memorable experiences. The menu is creative, short and absolutely delicious. Service is attentive and knowledgeable, but not all over you so you have a chance to enjoy your friend's company. Our server recommended a beautiful bottle of French wine. Stopping by for a cocktail, happy hour or dessert are also fun. Especially if you sit up at the bar so you can see the cooks/chefs at work in their beautiful kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/1/2014I have enjoyed the more formal version of Mistral many times, but this was my first time to have dinner in the more casual area. I took a special friend and expected a special evening. The service was less than attentive. I had to ask 3 times for the glass of wine that we had ordered to have with our appetizers. It also took close to 15 minutes to find someone to bring our check. The short rib that I ordered was good, but not exceptional like the other things that I have had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.