66 Witherspoon St.
Princeton, NJ 08542Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mistralprinceton.com/
- Phone: 6096888808
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Scott Anderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome
A word from Mistral
Mistral: The name evokes a sure Mediterranean wind bringing clear water and fresh weather to those sailing upon the sea. Now, Restaurant Mistral offers chef Scott Anderson the chance to create ever-changing, seasonal offerings that can be adjusted to the prevailing winds of his unsurpassed creativity and taste. Scott Anderson has evolved from the “chef to watch” to the “chef everyone is watching.” Following the critically acclaimed success of elements, co-owners Anderson and Steve Distler bring Princeton another showcase celebration of contemporary cuisine with Mistral. With its fast pace, small plates and focus on fresh, vibrant, local fare, Mistral offers a stunning mix of taste, style and atmosphere. The variety and inventiveness of the menu will truly bring a breath of fresh air to Princeton’s dining community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mistral - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Mistral reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (171)great for outdoor dining (117)neighborhood gem (101)special occasion (68)great for lunch (54)hot spot (44)good for groups (40)romantic (30)great for brunch (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not a Good ExperienceCrazyRaeVIPDined on 9/14/2014I have dined at Mistral several times in the past and have always thoroughly enjoyed the experience; however, last night I would have to say was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever encountered. Upon being seated our waiter went over the menu and advised us that numerous dishes we unavailable which we shrugged off until ordering. The service in general was slow and when we were ready to order we were informed that additional dishes were not available including the peach ice tea (seriously?). We ordered and the last dish didn't arrive until 50 minutes after ordering, well after all of the other dishes. I would say the the food was fair at best and the poor service just added to the horrendous experience. I won't be visiting soon.
- OutstandingwineanddineVIPDined on 9/14/2014Great ingredients prepared with creativity is what I always seem to find at Mistral. It is so easy to eat here a few times a month given the ever-changing combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Princeton's BestFamilyGuyDined on 9/13/2014Very creative and good value for the exceptional quality, especially since BYOB still permitted without charge. Dinner reminded of eating at a Chinese restaurant-once you order, the dishes come streaming out of the kitchen, and you share each dish for 2. Beautiful outside heated patio. Inside is noisier.Special Features:
- Pictures looked betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The interior decor and food presentation was great. Taste ....not so great and too salty. Our server wasn't good at all - gloomy, pushy, and couldn't even properly open a door for a lady .... We don't need too much attention, but smile is always nice.
- Excellent, must visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I have had the pleasure of dining at Mistral on several occasions and it never disappoints. They routinely change their menu to feature the best, freshest fare and ingredients depending on the current season. Their staff is exceptional; they are extremely attentive and provide excellent recommendations. Mistral has evolved significantly since opening last year, they have added a beautiful veranda for outdoor seating. Additionally, they now have a liquor license, but still allow guests to BYOB. This is a must visit dining experience!Special Features:
- Great mealSarahDined on 9/12/2014Had a great meal at Mistral. The best way to enjoy all it has to offer is to eat your way through each category. They now serve alcohol which was a great surprise but we brought our own wine which they still happily served. The highlights were the haricot salad and the halibut. The noise level is a little high but if you sit inside you can watch the open kitchen which is nice. Service was not overbearing and allowed us to enjoy our meal and recommended great dishes. We even let the server pick some for us as a surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just WonderfulWayzatanDined on 9/11/2014This is my second visit to Mistral. Menu seems to be changed a bit to integrate seasonal gradients. As great as my first dining in early July. We brought a bottle of Pinot from Sonoma CA, which was perfect match. All the seven plates we three ordered were wonderful, except fried shiso, which was a bit oily and killed the aroma of the shiso leaf. I wished the sheff learns the way that tempura sheff in Tokyo fries shiso. You can enjoy variety of foods at Mistral. I would say this one is close to a Michelin starred restaurant. Very reasonable price, compared to SF. Highly recommended. Can't wait for the fall menu.😄Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixedcriticalDined on 9/10/2014Some dishes excellent; one too greasy; one too bitter. Tables packed close, noisy couple next to us, swearing and nearly shouting. waiter recommended 3 or 4 dishes per person, which is a lot of food and makes the dinner very expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- emptynestersDined on 9/6/2014Once again, great evening at Mistral. Love that plates are always changing and excited to see what they will look and taste like. Fantastic service and can't wait to try sitting in new outside area.Special Features:
- Unexpected force of nature!ImpressedVIPDined on 9/5/2014If you are in the Princeton area and have a taste for high quality and high CREATIVITY cuisine, stop at Mistral. The psuedo-tapas style menu lets you pretty much design your own tasting menu for an insanely reasonable price, considering. The flavor combinations are new and impressive, while somehow maintaining a very friendly, casual dining experience. The staff is great and seem to share a passion for food. Worth a trip or three!Special Features:
- perfect experience as usual..julo49Dined on 9/5/2014the atmosphere is always perfect but the food experience when going to Mistral is always different each time. It is a wonderful restaurant that is our favorite in the area for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diversity of dishesisla88Dined on 9/4/2014Mistral has been our new favorite place in Princeton since we first tried back in Feb of this year. The plates are small but bigger than Tapas style so plenty enough for 2 people to share. The menu is divided in 3 sections for main dishes. From the field, the land and the sea. The ingredients are always very interesting and often exotic, like sweetbreads or ostrich to name a few. The combinations are really delicious and look like a work of art. The service is attentive and very pleasant. We were surprised to see that they now have a liquor license and offer wines and beers although BYO is still allowed with no corkage fee. Its a little pricey but this is Princeton and totally worth it for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Atmosphere and food to boot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Mistral was ext accommodating when we chgd our party from outdoor to indoor seating this past wknd. Even w/ a packed house (unexpected due to the holiday), they were able to relocate us. The food was fresh & the flavors were wonderful! We had quite a few items, incl but not limited to, sweetbreads, tuna crudo, tomatillos, Fluke sashimi. Every plate that we had was lovely. My only small complaint is that for a party of 5, especially when sharing (they inform you that the plates are meant for that), is that the portions could be larger or they should have warned us that 1 plate of each would be an awfully small "taste". If your party is larger than 4, you should order 1 more of each dish to provide an ample taste for all. Can't wait to go bk!Special Features:
- Wonderful surpriseGsquaredVIPDined on 8/31/2014I expected a good meal, but was pleasantly surprised about how outstanding the food was. Each dish was perfectly prepared and a wonderful mix of innovative tastes and fresh ingredients. The oyster fritter melted in our mouths, the apricot soup was creamy and smokey - not sweet. The rib was tender without being dry. The decor was inviting, stone and wood, open to ethe elements but protected on a covered patio. The service was helpful. The tapas style afforded multiple tastes of a variety of dishes, so that one could sample delicious entrees without filling up. Dessert, often a letdown, was also excellent. Care was evident in the excellence of the little details, such as the decaf coffee. BYOB. Not cheap but very worth it - a good value.Special Features:
- Unique TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/31/2014My kids loved it, especially how quickly the food comes out!!! Unique and amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome, but bring the bankEBdiningVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food was art on a plate. Creative and delicious. Issue is price. Too expensive for one person to get the full, and worthwhile, experience. Becomes better if there are two people as you try more dishes and split the cost. With a third person, it is more reasonable on the wallet, but you won't eat much given the small plate approach. I would go back, but not until I can save up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid tapasPickyNewYorkerDined on 8/27/2014A few friends and I went here while they were visiting us in the Princeton area. The tapas were solid, and about the size you'd expect for tapas—you'll want to order about three plates per person. The food itself was good (great for the Princeton area), and the menu was relatively inventive. The waitstaff was excellent—really helpful explaining dishes and ingredients (we had one person in our group with severe allergies). The restaurant is BYOB, so we brought some wine from Public (across the street), and that really keeps the price reasonable. One thing to note—we went on a hot evening (80s) and the aircon could barely keep up. Overall a pleasant experience, really excellent for Princeton, but unlikely to WOW anyone used to good food.Special Features:
- Fun eveningCindyellaDined on 8/27/2014Food is very thoughtfully prepared and served tappas style (small portions). It's fun to try different plates and share. We brought our own wine and the waiter was happy to cork it for us. We had 4 plates between 2 of us and it felt enough. Those with larger appetites could probably do more. I enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingRobynDined on 8/26/2014I've been to Mistral twice. The first time, every one of the 12 dishes we ordered were absolutely delicious. The second time, each of the 7 dishes we ordered left something to be desired. The entire menu changed in just a few weeks, which wasn't a bad thing by itself. Unfortunately, even the things that were similar to the previous menu were altered just enough to make them a completely different taste experience, but not for the better. I think the chef should leave a few of the more popular (and extremely delicious) items on the menu all the time. I'll go back a third time, but if things are sketchy again, I'll probably not return for a fourth time. There are too many other restaurants to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place!!Sophyc7Dined on 8/26/2014I love everything at Mistral!!! Food is delicious and beautiful! Service is great! Location is fine and the terrace is amazing!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Princeton Gemindy417Dined on 8/23/2014I was very pleased with Mistral. Not only was the food and service extraordinary, but it is a new concept in dining that Princeton really needed. It was truly unique because you can try small bites of some very creative and beautifully presented dishes. At first, when I saw the portions, I was not sure if I would leave satisfied. I recommend that one orders 3 plates per person. I was more than satisfied when I left. Try the bacon beignets, seared halibut, rye garganelli. Those were our favorites but everything we ate was magical. The kitchen is open so you can see the magic unfold. BYO is another plus and our server was able to suggest pairings with what we were drinking. Bravo, can't wait for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Dining in PrincetonwineanddineVIPDined on 8/23/2014I enjoyed two new changes to the menu as the summer progresses; the grilled squid with beans and the pork sausage were both outstanding. It's very easy to eat here once a week and never be bored by the same menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceStandards1Dined on 8/22/2014I've dined at Mistral numerous times and its become one of my favorite places in Princeton. Generally the food is quite good and the prices reasonable. The menu changes frequently so don't get accustomed to ordering your favorite dishes. But chances are you will like whatever you choose -- really fresh food, spiced and cooked to perfection. The portions are relatively small. That's fine for me since usually I don't finish a full dinner anyway. Those with larger appetites will need to order several dishes.Special Features:
- Marshy1njDined on 8/18/2014For those of you going through withdrawal symptoms because Elements is temporarily closed, Mistral has the fix you need. The food is not as complicated, but just as delicious. The small plates allow you to explore the menu and discover wonderful flavors. The bruschetta with heirloom tomatoes pulsates with flavor. Do yourself a favor and make a reservation.Special Features:
- Wowchefjosh825VIPDined on 8/15/2014Everything that we ate was awesome. Ben Nerenhausen and Scott Anderson's combination of flavors are magical. I have to try Elements. Loved the design of the place too, especially the kitchen. I might have to take the drive down to princeston more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastytastyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed each of the six tasting plates we ordered although the cold apricot soup suffered from too much heat. Because of this, we were unable to identify the soup's base as apricot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mistral twice this weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Enjoyed lunch there Thursday with a colleague. Cold apricot soup with vadouvan was so exceptional that I took my wife back today for Sunday brunch. We both had a bowl of that soup, which was a bit spicier than Thursday's, but excellent. Our main courses were also first rate -- scrambled eggs with arugula, roast tomato and English muffin were perfectly done and nicely presented. My wife enjoyed the seared haddock as well. Mistral is a great addition to the rich culinary offerings in Princeton. The formula of small plates at moderate prices is very good, and dishes we have tried are all creative and appealing. Outdoor seating is quieter (music inside is a bit too loud). There is a novel gas fire the length of one wall.Special Features:
- Hip in PrincetonIamepicuriousDined on 8/9/2014We had a surprise, last minute delicious meal at Mistral on a saturday night. It was the middle of summer and we went early, which is probably why we got in. The outdoor seating area is great looking and fun. The food really sets this place apart. We especially liked the small bites dishes, fava toast, goat cheese and shabazzi was truly out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great vibeFoodLionessVIPDined on 8/7/2014Lovely dining experience with excellent food. But how I wish there were dairy-free options for dessert! At our request, the waiter found some sorbet, much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCarrieVIPDined on 8/6/2014After hearing such great things about Mistral, I was very disappointed with my experience there. The food is good, but the service ruined the dinner for our party. I understand the restaurant's practice of delivering plates as they are ready, but this is no excuse for making us wait over thirty minutes for our final entre, and then having it served cold! Also, food that we did not order was delivered to our table and, when we inquired about our missing dish (pork loin), we were told that it was done and would be brought to our table immediately. That did not happen; in fact, we saw our waitress carrying the dish, but stopping to chat with other patrons for several minutes before delivering the dish to our table. Totally unacceptable.
- Great, but some missusMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 8/6/2014I'd come back again to this place as I loved the modern interior and some of the dishes, such as the black cod, were fantastic. But 2 major mistakes: (1) the short ribs plate was one of the biggest rip-offs I ever experienced in a restaurant (2 bite sized pieces - and I mean bite sized - for $22.. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!) and at one point between dishes, we waited SSSSOOOOOOOO long (25 mins?) for the next dish to arrive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ann and Ken SokoloffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014We loved the new outdoor room!!! It is so fun to order and share the small plates. We look forward to seeing the new addition! Ann and Ken SokoloffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in PrincetonBucksFoodieDined on 8/5/2014We went there to celebrate a birthday. We know Mistral is very good, but it exceeded the expectations. From sweet breads to brown butter bread pudding, the small plates distinguished themselves through excellent preparation and not repeating an ingredient or spice throughout. The chicken liver, short rib, squid, falafel dishes all wowed, as did the many other small plates that we sampled. The service was attentive and the ambience excellent. Two decades ago calling a place "the best restaurant in Princeton" didn't mean much; fast forward to today, and it says something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014This was a fun experience.. Great atmosphere and frankly.. the price was terrific relative to the qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small plate foodhazbinDined on 8/4/2014A don't miss - if you are a foodie; can deal with the tapas bar, small plate approach; and don't mind spending 30 bucks on lunch. Given that this is the offshoot of the very high-end Elements, you expect great food and you get it. Beautiful toast with goat cheese, tomatoes, and greens; fabulous sausage, and deeply flavorful chicken with delightful sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer DiningwineanddineVIPDined on 8/3/2014I certainly enjoyed trying the recent changes to the menu. in this case, it was the lamb tartare and the pork loin. Both plates were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Others had recommended Mistral so we were prepared to be impressed and we were: everything we had was terrific.Special Features:
- mollyDined on 8/1/2014Absolutely excellent! The food was amazing... best I've had anywhere in Princeton in 15 years.Special Features:
- Menu changes are spot on!EastEndEatsDined on 7/31/2014I have been a few times since opening and had mixed feelings about the dishes BuT the menu refinements are now perfect! My husband and I loved EVERY dish we tried and service was great too! Fabulous! Congratulations to the team!! We Look forward to the cocktail list when Elements comes over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- semifoodieDined on 7/31/2014Basic cooking skills are lacking; no flavor or bad mixture of flavors, either too greasy when it should be fresh or too soggy when it should be crispy.