Mister Tiki Mai Tai Lounge
801 Fifth Ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
HawaiianPrice: $31 to $50
Mister Tiki Mai Tai Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 6192331183
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Jason Gethin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mister Tiki Mai Tai Lounge
MISTER TIKI MAI TAI LOUNGE is a fun, hip spot for dining and sharing. Featuring Pacific Island Cuisine with a Poke & Sushi Bar, exotic cocktails and a fun lounge atmosphere, MISTER TIKI is your late night dining spot. The creative, one-of-a-kind design at Mister Tiki Mai Tai Lounge is a collaboration between the Cohn’s and noted San Diego designer JLorene Gage. JLorene was the designer for Kemo Sabe, Indigo Grill and Blue Point. All of our designs have incorporated the work of local artists and MISTER TIKI is no exception. San Diego is a hot bed of Tiki culture and Tiki artisans. MISTER TIKI features more than a dozen custom Tiki Gods and masks carved by San Diego County's own Bosko HrnjakContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mister Tiki Mai Tai Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
- We had the prix fixe menu.dcornthwaiteVIPDined on 2/18/2010We had the prix fixe menu. The California Rolls were unimpressive...not much taste. The Mahi Mahi Fish & Chips was ok....again not a lot of flavor. Dessert was spectacular. Very flavorful.
- Came here a little beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/15/2010Came here a little before 7pm and the server mentioned the $5 specials for drinks and apps which saved us money. Great Mai Tais and great food.Special Features:
- Took my wife to Mr. Tiki'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2010Took my wife to Mr. Tiki's for Valentines Day. Had the fixed price menu in which we selected the spicy tuna rolls, coconut shrimp cocktail, filet mignon medallions, lobster mashed potatoes, spinach, and desert. The steaks were the best I've ever had. Just melted in our mouths! And I've been to fancy chop houses like Mortons and Ruth Chris. They did a great job at Mr. Tiki's. The surf videos shown on the TV screens should have been better screened for offensive materials such as topless native Hawaiian women from the 1960's, bloody coral-gashed wounds on surfers, native foods like iguana being butchered for a meal, and so forth, but other than those video issues, the experience was great!Special Features:
- We were told to wait at theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2010We were told to wait at the bar...three people asked about our drink order we never received our drink during our 15 minute wait. Hostess then came to seat us at a table that had been vacant from the minute we arrived at our tables. We were charged an 18% gratuity tax (we were a party of 2). Our server seemed friendly enough but didn't really seem to care (as he was assured his tip I understand why). Food was fine.
- We went for Valentines dayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2010We went for Valentines day and unfortunately there was no mention anywhere that we would be limited to the "valentines" menu which had nothing for my vegetarian girlfriendSpecial Features:
- Kalua Pork Quesadilla wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/13/2010Kalua Pork Quesadilla was great; generous portion I had as a meal for around $10. Mai Tai was flavorable and big enough for sharing. The crusted macademia mahi mahi was fair - tasted better at Roy's. The ambiance is beautiful and lighting is romantic - perfect for a romantic evening or with a group of people. Can be a bit pricey but for the downtown gaslamp area - a definite good choice for appetizers, drinks and ambiance.Special Features:
- Check out the white and blackCarolaVIPDined on 2/13/2010Check out the white and black sesame crusted salmon and the Canteloupe Island drink. Awesome.Special Features:
- Our Dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2010Our Dining experience was great! Great service (Waiters name was Derek)& the food was Excellent. For an Appetizer we had Aloha Stickers which were the best pot stickers I have ever had. They were filled with a lot of Shrimp and Crab and were amazing. We also got the Lobster Bisque which was good but a little too sweet & way too much. For Dinner I had filet midellions - the meat was so tender and I loved the spinach. My husband got the Ribeye and he also enjoyed his steak, delicious mashed potatoes & asparagus. Although we both were completely full we still ordered desert:) The Voodoo Tiki Cake was delicious... I wish the scoop of ice cream was a little bigger but still worth it. Definitely will go back!
- I went for my anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2010I went for my anniversary on a Friday evening.(Presidential 3 day weekend) First time there. No crowds or waiting to be seated. What I really liked was the menu. I'm a vegetarian and was able to find something from every course selection. The menu was simple to read as well. The service by our waiter, "Tristan or Tyce," was nimble and professional! We got a private horseshoe booth in the North side dinning area. The lightning and ambiance were epic. The miso soup was tasty, the Lava Stack exceeded expectations with freshness, plating decor and appearance. I'd highly recommend this dining eatery.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/4/2010We really enjoyed our dinner at Mister Tiki. The only problem was my dinner. I ordered Spicey Kong POW Chicken although the flavor and vegetables were really good the chicken was dry, chewy and over cooked. My husband ordered the Fish and Chips and it was delicious. The servers were very nice and the service was fast. The Manager came and asked us how we liked our dinner. We told him about my chicken and he offered to send it back but I am too impatient to wait for it to be recooked. We also ordered the calamari and wontons and they were very good. I would recommend this restuarant just don't order the Kong POW Chicken.Special Features:
- I am not a big fan of theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/2/2010I am not a big fan of the downtown parking hassle and cost. With that said my dining experience was nice, and the service was very good.
- I was disappointed in thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/29/2010I was disappointed in this experience all around. We had to wait over 30 minutes for our table, and then waited another 25 minutes for our server to greet our table. The food was mediocre. I am hoping they were having an off night, will give them another chance sometime.
- Ate there for Restaurant WeekSplinterVIPDined on 1/28/2010Ate there for Restaurant Week before seeing Lily Tomlin at the Balboa Theater, which is right around the corner. Succulent nicely sauced pork ribs, coconut shrimp "cocktail", and sour cream won tons were all a hit. The mahi mahi was well cooked but overly salty. Interesting side dishes included Thai black rice. Service was slow, and we had to rush to get our desserts take-out to avoid missing the show.Special Features:
- Every aspect of the Tiki wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2010Every aspect of the Tiki was wonderful. Cohn does an excellent job both if food and personel.Special Features:
- Particular server helpingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/23/2010Particular server helping us that night seemed inattentive and almost burdened as he hinted it was busier during Restaurant Week. Food was OK. Mai Tai, however, was pretty tasty.
- Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai LoungeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/23/2010Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge was a great experience. We were greeted with a smile by the gracious hostess and seated upon arrival. Our waiter, Alec, greeted us as soon as we sat down, presented us with the special offerings and took our drink order. Our drinks were promptly delivered as was our dinner orders. The food was delicious. The manager, Chris, stopped by our table twice to greet us and ensure that everything was to our liking. We will be sure to return soon.Special Features:
- Fun ambiance. Good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/23/2010Fun ambiance. Good service. Flavorful food. A real winner!
- Wondeful in every way..keepOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/23/2010Wondeful in every way..keep up those 20 dollar specials.Special Features:
- Great decor, great food, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/22/2010Great decor, great food, great liquor selection! They were very busy so we had to wait for your table and then the food was a little slow to come out. I didn't mind much because the food was great and the drinks were strong and really good.Special Features:
- You can't go wrong with aLynnDined on 1/22/2010You can't go wrong with a restaurant owned by the Cohn Restaurant Group! Food is always fantastic as well as the service!Special Features:
- We had reservations for 745OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/21/2010We had reservations for 745 but arrived @8pm due to the rain, however we had to wait 15 minutes because the 730 reservation hadn't been seated yet. So the only complaint I had was the wait(there were plenty of empty tables). Which was made worse because we had to stand because there was no dedicated waiting area, so we were in the doorway(with more people behind us hanging out the door) when it was cold and rainy. Also, we were seated by the open door during a tropical storm(COLD!). So, we were able to see that everyone had a long wait. My food was okay but the BF loved his ribs and shrimp! The flourless cake was amazing!! Nice environment. Server was great but overall service was not. Hosts did not listen to our servers req. to close doorSpecial Features:
- We went for Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2010We went for Restaurant Week and found this to be an excellent restaurant and great service. I was very impressed by the service we received, the food was delicious and the drinks were very good. Overall great experience and I would definitely recommend this restaurant and go back again and again.Special Features:
- I'm always a little learywiseguiseDined on 1/21/2010I'm always a little leary about the "polynesian" theme restaurants, but my fears were completely allayed when I realized this was a Cohn endeavor. The restaurant week menu was a HUGE bargain at $20 for three generous and delicious courses. Service was outstanding (thanks, Alex) and the happy hours prices on wine from the bar was honored in the restaurant. I don't usually order dessert, but the banana bread pudding with caramel rum sauce was amazing. I'll happily be back for future meals.Special Features:
- This is quite possibly theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/21/2010This is quite possibly the Best Restaurant here in San Diego. Excellent Food, Excellent Service, Excellent Ambience. We tried Mister Tiki Mai Tai for the 1st time during San Diego Restaurant week with the price of $20.00. This was also the Very Best deal of all of the Restaurant week restaurants. It could have easily been priced higher, but in these times, $20.00 was more than a fair price for the Excellent Food & Service we received by Alec, our waiter. We even received a visit from the Manager Chris who spend a good deal of time with us chatting. He gave us valuable insight into the history and other restaurants in the Cohn Restaurant Group. We were treated as if we were long lost friends, which is extremely Rare in these days & times. A+Special Features:
- My sister and I went for RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/20/2010My sister and I went for Restaurant Week, and it was a GREAT deal for the money. Come hungry! The spicy tuna roll was good, and i saved half for the next day (obviously not as good leftover!). I selected the mahi mahi as the main course. THey recommended it served medium rare, but that scared me b/c I've never eaten Mahi that way. I should have heeded their rec but instead got it cooked more so it was a bit dry. Rice was very interesting though. I loved the banana bread pudding during Taste of Downtown. not as fluffy when you order a slice, but still delish. It should come with more ice cream though :) All in all pretty tasty.Special Features:
- The food was excellent asOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2010The food was excellent as were the specialty drinks. The service was fabulous as well; our server recommended good ideas and was very attentive. This was one of our favorite restaurants in San Diego and easily surpassed others that were much more expensive. The decor was unique, yet simple. We were seated by the kitchen (which I was disappointed about at first), but even the kitchen area was quiet and did not disturb the ambiance of our meal.Special Features:
- My husband and I were lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2010My husband and I were looking for a fun night out so we tried Mister Tiki. The weather in San Diego was cold and wet and we wanted to escape to the tropics. Plus it was Restaurant Week and there was a good deal on offer there. It was a wet Monday so the place wasn't very crowded and we really enjoyed the ambiance -- surf shows on tvs, longboards, cool art. The drinks were maybe the best part of the evening -- amusing drink menu and the cocktails were delicious. The shrimp cocktail was a surprise for my husband, he wasn't expecting breaded cooked shrimp (guess we didn't read the fine print on the menu) but I loved the spicy hoisin sauce it came with. My mahi-mahi was fantastic, perfectly cooked. The flourless chocolate cake was stellar.
- great drinks, tasty food!In2FoodDined on 1/17/2010great drinks, tasty food! The ribs on the restaurant week menu were melt in your mouth deliciousSpecial Features:
- I have been going to the thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/8/2010I have been going to the this bar/restaurant for over 8 years, and even though the menu keeps changing (I remember the Lemon Grass Soup) the food has always been delicious. I love the "share with your friends" atmosphere and dining style. The decor is unique and great fun. Who doesn't love a giant Tiki head with a glow in the dark earring?!Special Features:
- It was a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/8/2010It was a great experience. The food was excellent so was the service. This was our first time there and we loved it. We will go there again.Special Features:
- Great food in abundance. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/8/2010Great food in abundance. Excellent mai tais and specials during happy hour. Good appetizers and fairly priced. Service friendly and responsive. Parking difficult.Special Features:
- Food is good. Service hasKevinCVIPDined on 1/8/2010Food is good. Service has always been a little less than expected, more equivalent to a diner than a higher end restaurant. Reservation system was a little messy. Reserved through OpenTable online, but when we got there, they couldn't find the reservation. An hour later after we had already dined and paid, we got an e-mail from OpenTable stating the the restaurant just cancelled our reservation and that we would not get any dining points. After working with OpenTable and showing proof that we did indeed dine and paid for our meal, we were given our credit. A lot of hassle and not sure whose fault it was, but left with a bad experience.
- Food was excellent,serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2010Food was excellent,service was good, but it took 1 hour to get our entree after our first course. We had a good time there and will be back.Special Features:
- I like the place! I went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2010I like the place! I went there for my anniversary and the sishi was terrific the service was good and the beverages were excelent. I enjoy the time we expend there the time pass by quick and it was a good place to be at. The place is not expensive is actually rasonable of the location and service plus the food. I will totally go back and will recommend.Special Features:
- My son's burger was so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2010My son's burger was so good that he has requested a return visit for another one! My dinner was just as tasty. We will definitely go back to eat at Mister Tiki!Special Features:
- Good, food and good specials.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/3/2010Good, food and good specials. We went for the anniversary special but also ended up ordering food and drinks from the happy hour menu. Great food portions as well. Had a great time.
- We got there for a 7:30 reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2009We got there for a 7:30 reservation and left at 9:15pm. It was New Years Eve and no hats or noise makers were being handed out. Bummer. My drink was free because it took so long to get it. It didnt taste good either. For a 4 course meal the price was good but the food not so. The salad needed more dressing and my husbands meat was to rare so when they took it back to cook it some more and brought it back it was now burnt. You could smell how overcooked it was. Even the coffee was bad it was terribly weak. Sorry to say but we will not got back
- Disapointed in set-menu choices.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2009Disapointed in set-menu choices. Only four main choices. We each ordered something different and neither one of us like what we got! Will not return.Special Features:
- It was Christmas Eve and weOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2009It was Christmas Eve and we had an unbelievable deal..it was basically a typical Christmas dinner with a tropical flair...The food was good and a lot of it; but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary or spectacular...Just good traditional food...Service is very good; especially on a might when the servers would much rather be at home with their families...Special Features:
- Had to wait which has neverOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/24/2009Had to wait which has never happened to me when I had reservations. Servers were nice but food came out really, really slow.Special Features: