1606 20th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.missiondupont.com/
- Phone: 2025252010x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 5 pm - midnight
Thursday - Friday: 5 pm - 3 am
Saturday: 11 am - 3 am
Sunday: 11 am - midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Rodrigo Albarran-Torres
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Mission is available for a variety of special events. The private upstairs loft can accommodate up to 60 people and features its own bar and restrooms. There is also a downstairs event room that an accommodate up to 40. In certain circumstances, the restaurant can be rented out. Contact our Director of Private events at Elizabeth@missiondupont.com.
A word from Mission
Executive Chef Rodrigo Albarran-Torres hails from Mexico City to create authentic Mexican cuisine right in the heart of DC. Sip a specialty cocktail at our lively bar or dine in one of our four dining rooms as you enjoy our fresh, bold flavors. Mission is perfect for events of all sizes--from happy hours and birthday celebrations to corporate parties and rehearsal dinners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mission - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
Mission reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (24)good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (10)fit for foodies (8)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)special occasion (4)romantic (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- DisappointingTom987VIPDined on 10/15/2014I had dinner with three friends on a Wednesday night at 8:45/9pm. However, the happy hour crowd was basically raging next to the tables, with frat boys screaming at the baseball game and bimbos yelling at each other despite a mere 5 inches of separation between them. There is a whole section of tables entirely too close to the bar. The food was not good. It was edible, but overly cheesy, with bland meat flavors and a lack of spices. One of our guests had to send his "Mission margarita" back because it was beyond sweet. It was basically a cup of high fructose corn syrup with melted lollipops and ice. The only thing worth getting was the smoked jalapeno pineapple margarita. The prices were also excessive. Overall, not a good choice.
- Good atmosphere, food averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Loved the atmosphere at Mission. We ate outside and the ambience was beautiful. From what I saw of inside, it was lovely as well. However, I found the food to be a bit more centered on presentation as opposed to the taste and quality of the food itself. I am a foodie. My quesadilla was mostly cheese, and I didn't find that it had quite enough taste to it. Otherwiese, a very good experience.Special Features:
- Pretty good for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014I really enjoy mexican/tex-mex food so I'll definitely be back. The food is pretty good, the prices aren't bad for the area and the margarita's aren't bad either. They have good happy hour and brunch specials as well. Cons: I've had slow service 3/4 times I've been there, the jalapeno seeds are everywhere, and the gauc had some unripe bits in it here and there. Overall the food is satisfying but not out of this world. Pros: really fun happy hours, as I mentioned not bad prices, great group outing. So it's more of a "have fun" meal than about the food. I'll definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Noisy hectic and not great foodKsjOmniComVIPDined on 9/27/2014Too much mayo on tacos, slow drinks, excessively sugary salsa. Not great!
- Surprise! Great Mexican food!MmmgoodVIPDined on 9/21/2014The guacamole is just right, not to many ingredients. The salsa is more of a saucy pico de gallo but great taste, golden chips were excellent. Chicken flautas were excellent with cotija cheese, crema and more. The sauces on the side were so good I wanted more, the best part is service was great and the place was not crowded! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent BrunchAnnieDined on 9/21/2014Mission brunch was mediocre. They had good options both savory and sweet- including some random french options (odd at a mexican restaurant). The service wasn't great but we were ok taking our time. It was very nice they let our dog sit by our table outside with us- they even brought him a bowl of water. The only real complaint was that our food came out cold, even though when we arrived we were the only ones there. It still tasted pretty good, but would have better better warm.Special Features:
- Good food, poor service.glutenfreefoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014The drinks were delicious and the food sufficient (make sure you order the guacamole and champarita)! Our poor server however was handling too much. In addition to our table of 6, he had a table of 25 across the restaurant. After waiting more than 15 minutes after being seated, he only come over to us a handful of times. When we got our food, we decided to ask for our check since we knew we would probably never see him again otherwise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceAbbeyVIPDined on 9/14/2014Great food, terrible service. We had a reservation for a party of 7. It was not setup by the time we got there and it was slow to get our table together. Once it was done, everything took twice as long. I understand with large parties, there is somewhat of a delay, but this was unacceptable. Food came in waves in which 3 people got their meals with a 10 min break before the next wave of meals came. In the end one of the meals took 20 min after the second wave and didn't even come off the bill. All food needs to come out together. We had to say something to get the last item removed. Gotta get it together Mission. Food is good, but you can do better service-wise.Special Features:
- Good food. Bad service. Overall, ehDevelopingFoodieDined on 9/12/2014We started with the guacamole and it did not disappoint. The entrees, however, lacked a vibrancy that made them stand out. In addition, the service was lacking. There were lag times in between times our server checked in on us. All in all, not my favorite Mexican place in the District, but good for lunch I would guess.Special Features:
- Leslie Dallas TXLeslieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great salsa and guacamole! Great fish tacos! Good HAPPY HOUR PRICES! Service a little sluggish!Special Features:
- Good, not greatdwhotzVIPDined on 9/8/2014Food was pretty good, but not great. Service was pretty good, but not great.Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperiencertesmerVIPDined on 9/1/2014Went on a very slow day, late afternoon, Monday holiday. Hot outside and muggy. Inside, cool and refreshing. They were running their brunch menu but we really wanted items off the dinner menu, our waiter made us comfortable and then served us from the dinner menu. Thoroughly enjoyed and recommend the jalapeno pineapple margarita thing, just hot enough, just cool enough to be perfection. We both thoroughly enjoyed our tacos and our taquitos. And the desert, we have NO room but just had to try it, the tres leches was the perfect closing item. Will be back many times if its always this good!Special Features:
- Great!DuPontFoodieDined on 8/22/2014My parents took my roommates and I out to dinner hear- our waitress was very attentive and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014We waited an hour for water and coffee but, if you're not in a hurry, brunch is pretty good here.Special Features:
- Late solo dinnerFormerFedVIPDined on 7/28/2014For some reason, I couldn't get at table for one at 8 PM and had to settle for an hour later. I thought the restaurant would be packed, but when I got there I found it less than half full. Was a bit disappointed when the black bean soup described on the online menu was no longer available and more so when the waiter misheard my appetizer order and brought the cheese & tortilla rather than the chorizo, cheese, & tortilla. The dish was good. The Cubana burger I got for my entree was very tasty and so large it had to be eaten with knife and fork. Had two Mission margaritas and ended my meal with a spicy jalapeno-pineapple one. I will certainly return to Mission.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ONE WORD: PERFECTIONRyanVIPDined on 7/26/2014From drinks, to apps, to dinner, to the service - perfection! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MadsVIPDined on 7/21/2014I went here for the first time on Sunday, July 20th and loved it so much that I had to come back on the 21st. The margaritas are great (especially during happy hour!). I loved my frozen strawberry one (I hadn't had a good one in years). I got the 3 tacos (pork, chicken, steak) and they were amazing - definitely the best tacos I've ever had. The service there is great, the atmosphere is great, and the music selection was great as well. I can't mention enough how amazing the food was - seriously to die for. Love this place and I can't wait to go back again in the future.Special Features:
- mdinDined on 7/18/2014The music at the downstairs bar and dining area is way too loud. It's hard to carry a conversation. Otherwise, it's a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, OK foodCJMMDined on 7/11/2014Mission looks gorgeous outside at night - beautiful lights, lots of outdoor seating, and a nice ambiance inside too. We had dinner on a Friday night (late). The salsa was delicious, the guacamole that we ordered spicy could have been spicier, and my shrimp tacos came out warm but not hot. I would go again but maybe ask for extra-spicy guacamole and something with melted cheese on top (which tends to keep things warmer!) I did like that this is one of the only places in DC where you can get decent food at a decent price - a full plate with tacos, main plate etc and rice and beans - for only $13-15 (as opposed to $25-45!)Special Features:
- Good service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Overall a great experience. The service was fast and accurate. The hostess was very flexible and understanding when some of our party was running late for our reservation. We had a large group of people and they put us in a room that was slightly separated from the main dinning floor. This was perfect room for conversation among a large group. Our server was great. He checked in on us frequently and the food came out of the kitchen very quickly, especially considering the size of our party. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- The following 1 reviews are from the Mission reviews archive.
- Service this bad in Dupont?!GlutenfreefoodieVIPDined on 6/18/2014This was my second time at Mission and I'm trying so hard to like the restaurant because it is such a cool scene. The service has been absolutely terrible both times though. Our table did not get acknowledged by a waiter for at least 15 minutes (the second time I had to go ask the hostess if anyone knew we had been seated - even though our table was smack dab in the middle of the dining room). After that it took an additional 10 minutes to get our water and chips. Our waitress seemed stressed and uninterested in serving us. The meal I ordered first came out incorrectly. In general the ambiance is great the bar seems like an awesome scene but the food is mediocre and certainly not worth suffering through the terrible service.Special Features: