Mission Beach Cafe
198 Guerrero St.
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Mission Beach Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.missionbeachcafesf.com/
- Phone: 4158610198
- Hours of Operation:
PASTRY, DESSERT, & BLUE BOTTLE COFFEE: Monday - Thursday: 7:00am - 10:00pm Friday: 7:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 9:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 4:30pm LUNCH/BRUNCH Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 2:30pm BRUNCH: Saturday 9:00am - 2:30pm, Sunday 9:00am - 3:30pm DINNER: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm SUNDAY DINNER: Closed
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Mission Beach offers catering for private events from cocktail parties to small, full course dinners, luncheons, etc.
- Private Party Facilities: -
- Private Party Contact: Bill Clark 4158610198
A word from Mission Beach Cafe
Mission Beach Cafe is a true San Francisco neighborhood cafe. Offering Blue Bottle Coffee, Alan Carter's amazing morning pastries and desserts, Thomas Martinez's "Seasonal Progressive" cuisine at lunch, brunch, and dinner, or a glass of wine from our California-only wine list, Mission Beach is open throughout the day and evening to serve you. Come relax in our beautifully appointed, modernist environment designed to revive and replenish whether it be for a casual latte and piece of pie or full course, candlelit dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mission Beach Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (25)great for brunch (17)special occasion (13)romantic (11)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (5)hot spot (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good Wine Complimented Lovely FoodcwilsonDined on 8/8/2014I was delighted and surprised by a good, inexpensive, selection of wines. The food was quite fresh and seasonal specials, I had the squash, were delicious. What a treat to see cream pies on the dessert menu. The butterscotch banana did not disappoint. We will return for an affordable, high quality meal.Special Features:
- Neighborhood dinner spotgoodfoodwinsDined on 8/4/2014I have always been a fan of MBC - brunch is too crazy, but dinner was always a guarantee - friendly service and yummy food in a warm cozy dining room. I hadn't been here in a awhile and was disappointed by my visit earlier this week. The server and host seemed distracted and not happy about us requesting a table move from the spot they tried to sit us in - right next to the swinging kitchen door where you can see the trash in the back and hot air blowing out. Overall, the place needs some sprucing up - bathroom was full of left over chairs and was more of a disorganized storage space, the chairs are extremely uncomfortable and starting to look grungy. Food was 'okay'. I will give the lavender cheesecake 5 stars though!
- Consistently wonderfulinhousemarkDined on 7/21/2014It was our second visit to Mission Beach Cafe. We were very impressed the first time with the food and the intimacy of the restaurant. This time we brought friends who were equally taken with the place. Our friend had recently broken a bone in her foot and had a knee scooter. The waiter could not have been more accommodating letting us try out several tables to see which one could best accommodate her. All in all another pleasant evening and we will return.Special Features:
- Not just a brunch spotVHung08Dined on 7/18/2014I came here for dinner although I usually come for brunch, which is amazing. I had the chicken, which was surprisingly good. Not too dry, which is the case with a lot of places. Great wine selection as well. Glad I finally got to try the dinner menu. Now I know why the place fills up so quickly!
- Always an amazing meal!MelNemDined on 7/7/2014Time and time again we are always blown away by how wonderful Mission Beach Café is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past Sell By DateAvoiditDined on 6/23/2014Mission Beach is a restaurant that used to have great food and great deserts. Today, the food is almost unchanged in 5 years. The paper menus are emblematic of this restaurant. They are dirty and have been used so many times they even have drip marks on them. Putting out new menus is not difficult, it is about having the will or the interest to do so. The same goes with the deserts. They used to have 10-15. Now they have 5 and no sorbets. The white walls have smudge marks (look at the light switches). A once great restaurant whose chef has lost the energy and enthusiasm that once made this a great restaurant. They don't even appear to care enough to wipe the dirt off the walls.
- Mission Beach CafeFromoutsideDined on 6/21/2014I had dinner with my son on Saturday, June 21st at Mission Beach Cafe. The staff is warm, friendly, responsive, timely, in short excellent. I had a brace on my leg due to an accident, and our waitress did everything to make me comfortable. Much appreciated. The food was wonderful without exception. The ambience friendly, convivial. I don't particularly like the art work on the walls; a subjective opinion. I appreciated that the music was muted so that conversation, the main ingredient next to food, was possible, encouraged and enjoyed!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and but very loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Had dinner there on a Friday night. Very lively, but easy to get a table on opentable. Beautiful room. Great food, but the room was very loud and the way the table was set up I was physically closer to the people on each side at neighboring tables than my husband across on my table. So I learned more about what the neighboring tables were talking and laughing about than being able to hear my husband. We caught up nicely on the walk home and agreed that the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flatbread very soggyGamsNEggsDined on 6/3/2014I ate one bite of my flatbread because it was so soggy. It was really a tortilla and it was limp. I left the rest. The waiter knew, but I still paid for it, so I won't be back. The last time I was here the food was great. This time was disappointing. I call this the SF Bait-and-switch. Happens a lot. A man and a woman get better service than two women. A Friday night is generally better than a Tuesday. It's not like this in San Diego or Suzhou, China. What makes SF so special?
- Disappointed this timeEricDined on 5/31/2014I really like Mission Beach Cafe, however, they had an off night the evening we went. Food was very good, but unfortunately, the kitchen didn't have their act together. The servers did their best, but couldn't make up for it. Many tables around us got served way before we did and they got there way after we did. They did try to save it by giving us a free sampler of dessert at the end. I will give them another shot because it is a very quaint place and more often than not, it is really good.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic!Hbros16Dined on 5/30/2014My boyfriend and I try to go on a date night every weekend to a new restaurant. I've been seeing a buzz for this place online but mainly for brunch. It was impossible for me to get a brunch reservation so we opted for dinner. We were not disappointed! The food was fantastic! Wine was great. And the dessert was out of this world (banana butterscotch pie). Can't wait to go back; hopefully for brunch next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJoeindamissionDined on 5/23/2014I'm relatively new to the neighborhood, and walk by daily. Decided to give it a shot for dinner and it was outstanding. The hamachi crudo appetizer was great, the chicken was lovely, and overall had a great time.Special Features:
- Wonderful surpriseinhousemarkDined on 5/13/2014We decided to try Mission Beach Cafe after seeing the wonderful reviews on Open Table. We were cautiously optimistic. What a wonderful evening. The restaurant was rather empty so it was not too noisy. The food was exceptional (one of us had salmon, the other filet mignon) as was the service. We had the banana butterscotch cream pie for dessert and it was memorable....all in all a great evening. Prices were also reasonable for what you got. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014the food was awesome!! we sat down at 6:30 and didn't leave until 9:30 because we enjoyed so more wine after dinner. however, the waiter set down our entrees and literally never came back. another man had to clear our table and pour our second glass of wine. our actual waiter never even asked us how our main meal was... was nice enough when he was waiting on us, but i guess he kind of just got busy with other tables.
- Consistently excellent!AdisaDined on 5/8/2014My default special occasion restaurant for me and my out of town guests. Love. Never disappoints. The noise level was uncharacteristically loud last Thursday, but there was a party of 20. That's not typical. You won't be disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 549 reviews are from the Mission Beach Cafe reviews archive.
- Always satisfyinglblicherDined on 4/1/2014We have been many times to Mission Beach for brunch and always found it very satisfying. Everything is delicious, the menu choices are varied and interesting, the setting is pleasant but not overdone. This was our first dinner experience and we loved it. It was my son's 25th birthday and we wanted great food but not too much of a scene as I was not feeling very well. This was the perfect place. Great food options for all four of us (even for me with a limited palate that night), the best crab cakes ever, good help from the staff on drink choices and a really nice experience. And reasonable prices as well! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid dining experiencekrissalDined on 3/22/2014I've been to MBC for their fantastic brunch before, but this was my first dinner visit. Overall the food was quite good, as was the service. It wasn't a mind-blowing culinary experience, but everything was tasty (especially my pork chop)! Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch, Very Good DinnerElliottDined on 3/21/2014Came to Mission Beach for dinner for the first time. It was quite good, but didn't quite hit the same (albeit astronomical) highs as they do for brunch. Rabbit gumbo was the highlight. Other diners had the tagliatelle, halibut, pork chop, and roasted chicken. Every plate was scraped clean, so they couldn't have been doing too much wrong, but the gumbo was the only truly memorable entree. Started with Brussels sprouts to share and split chocolate pecan pie, banana butterscotch cream pie, and Brooklyn blackout cake for dessert. Desserts were good, though all were quite rich and it seemed a chore to polish off all three between the five of us. Perhaps we should've ordered better. I'll be glad to return but not waiting with bated breath.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but better in the past...JLeoDined on 3/18/2014Just wasn't outstanding like the few times we had eaten here before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!icybetaDined on 3/18/2014Totally recommend the restaurant for dinner for anyone who loves their brunch. The restaurant has great food, pleasant service on a quiet mid-week evening. I would come to this restaurant each visit to SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Burger!!DanielleDined on 3/15/2014These burgers will take you to another place. I keep coming back for more. The ingredients in all the food is fresh and interesting. I particularly liked the fried capers in the hamachi appetizer for a salty crunch. As well as the parsnip chip topped Brussel sprouts. YUMMM YUMMMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing BetterMeshmanDined on 3/13/2014One of the best SF finds. Welcoming environment. Superb chef. Fantastic service. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food.... Slow serviceBrunchMunchDined on 3/6/2014I came here for dinner with friends on a weeknight. The restaurant was half empty when we got there (guess I didn't need a reservation!) and didn't get that much busier. (I think they're mostly known for brunch.) The food was amazing -- my burger was the best I've ever had, and the truffle fries were delish. Friends got filet mignon and halibut, which they raved about. Only really problem was the service. Our food took over an hour to come after we ordered. (And it came after other parties who had arrived later.) Nothing we ordered was especially complex, and the restaurant was half full. Food, though, was amazing... So I'll still be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than delicious pies….OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014I have always loved Mission Bay Cafe, but had not been in a while. So when were looking last minute for Friday night in the neighborhood it popped up as available, and I am so happy it did. My friends and I very much enjoyed our meal and wines, and the service was warm and attentive. The pies were as delicious as I remembered and the perfect finish to a hearty dinner.Special Features:
- A Recent DiscoveryMattegrayDined on 2/17/2014I've just discovered Company and keep coming back in since it's everything I want in a restaurant: fine food, good service, and a pleasant ambiance. I especially recommend the Kale Chips and Chicken Wing Confit appetizers, and the lamb shank entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!!YvonneDined on 2/15/2014Best restaurant we have tried in a long time. Can't say enough about food and service. Wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vday dinner reviewAD1982Dined on 2/14/2014Have been to MBC for brunch and on a regular night - the V-day Prix Fixe was not as great as either, but was still good. Not my ideal menu but food was great. However service wasn't so good - waitress was only interested in selling us more booze, I was brought the wrong dessert, long wait between courses (and to get the right dessert, which was sorbet - should have taken 2 seconds). Also it took awhile to get the check, and as we walked out we realized we'd missed out on an extra sweet at the end. Bummer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealout2eatinSFDined on 1/18/2014Once again, Mission Beach Cafe offered the perfect food, drink, and atmosphere for hosting out of town guests. The food selection is always expertly prepared. I love the relaxed local atmosphere of the restaurant. The wine and beer list is always local and current. Their innovative dishes are seasonal and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealRobertMDined on 12/20/2013This place is known for brunch and is really hard to get into for that meal. It comes up all the time on Opentable for me for dinner, and I finally tried it. Really a pleasant surprise. Everything was delicious. We had the brussels sprouts appetizer, the beet salad, mushroom ravioli and filet mignon. Not a bad dish in the bunch. Don't miss the pies for dessert, really top notch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a gemSimplesusanDined on 12/4/2013Best burger in town - best brunch in town - best pies in town. What more does a person need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgerDavidDined on 11/26/2013We came here for the Pot Pie Tuesday advertised on their website but they don't do it anymore. Disappointed that I could not get a pot pie so we had a burger which was very good. However they need to update their website. The waitress said they have not been doing Pot Pie Tuesday for a year!!! I felt like it was a bit of false advertising.Special Features:
- Really lousy serviceLK32Dined on 11/21/2013We went for an 8:30 reservation on a Thursday night. By 9:15 we were the only ones left in the restaurant and the waitress started clearing the silverware and napkins off all the other tables, which always makes me feel rushed. Then she and the other waitress sat down and started eating their meal right near us, making it clear they were ready for us to leave. When we were done with our entrees, she never even offered us coffee, tea, or a dessert menu. Instead she dropped the check and a to go box w free dessert in it. For ~$25/plate the service should be way better than that. Plus it was our anniversary and I had planned on getting a candle on our dessert. I'm never going back. It's the only time in my life I didn't leave a tip.
- Is MBC becoming a BEERHALL?PresocraticDined on 11/20/2013First, my wife and I have eaten at MBC many times for dinner over the years. Last time was somewhat unpleasant. When you set up tables for more than 10-12 people your restaurant becomes a beer hall from a noise point of view--people yelling from one end of the table to the other. Party time!!!! Do you want to emulate TGIF? I guess that's where the $s are. This is not appropriate for MBC--your food deserves better treatment. BUCK THE TREND to ever increasing decibel levels in SF restaurants! Also your seating plan for lunch makes sitting anywhere but the banquettes essentially the same as sitting at a single family style table hearing the next person's conversation and hoping their elbows don't end up in your soup. $s are not everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had never been here before,timothyo22Dined on 11/16/2013Had never been here before, food was amazing. Comments about wait time are, however, sadly true. Still worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerMattegrayDined on 11/15/2013We had a great dinner. The Rabbit Gumbo was breathtakingly good, the best gumbo i've eaten outside Louisiana, and better than some there. The truffle fries were superb. The tomato soup was wonderful, as was the salmon starter. The Chocolate cream pie was very good. The staff were nice. Hadn't eaten here in a couple of years but will be back much sooner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top-notch food as usualMarkDined on 11/7/2013MBC is awesome. Every time I go I'm pleased with their high standards. It's a basic menu at reasonable prices with amazing flavor. Don't miss it.Special Features:
- I discovered Mission BeachHerbDined on 10/22/2013I discovered Mission Beach the year it opened and have put it on my dining itinerary during every San Francisco visit. It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger Mmm....MichaelSharonDined on 10/17/2013The burger here is a,ways good, but this time it was exceptional. The fries were so perfect and so many of them. We also shared the peach salad...it was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!JeffDined on 10/12/2013We had the rabbit gumbo and the pasta, in addition to the salad with the grilled peach. Everything was AWESOME. Against our better judgment, we got talked into the key lime pie for dessert. I always enjoy me some Mission Beach Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyMartinaDined on 10/11/2013Was looking for a place at the last minute, and we landed a 9pm reservation here...so pleased with the outcome! Delicious food, wine, and dessert :) Thank you for making an otherise regular evening feel so special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.