Mission Beach Cafe
198 Guerrero St.
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Mission Beach Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.missionbeachcafesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 861-0198
- Hours of Operation:
PASTRY, DESSERT, & BLUE BOTTLE COFFEE: Monday - Thursday: 7:00am - 10:00pm Friday: 7:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 9:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 4:30pm LUNCH/BRUNCH Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 2:30pm BRUNCH: Saturday 9:00am - 2:30pm, Sunday 9:00am - 3:30pm DINNER: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm SUNDAY DINNER: Closed
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Mission Beach offers catering for private events from cocktail parties to small, full course dinners, luncheons, etc.
- Private Party Facilities: -
- Private Party Contact: Bill Clark 4158610198
A word from Mission Beach Cafe
Mission Beach Cafe is a true San Francisco neighborhood cafe. Offering Blue Bottle Coffee, Alan Carter's amazing morning pastries and desserts, Thomas Martinez's "Seasonal Progressive" cuisine at lunch, brunch, and dinner, or a glass of wine from our California-only wine list, Mission Beach is open throughout the day and evening to serve you. Come relax in our beautifully appointed, modernist environment designed to revive and replenish whether it be for a casual latte and piece of pie or full course, candlelit dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mission Beach Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (14)romantic (12)special occasion (9)good for groups (9)notable wine list (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Neighborhood standardEatoutalotVIPDined on 11/14/2014Food is always fantastic and ambience is warm and energetic. Service is spotty however and I'm hoping it gets back to what it used to be.
- Food better than expectedNameVIPDined on 11/5/2014Wasn't expecting much here, but the food was good. The beet salad was good; my brother raved about his pear salad, the hamburger was cooked as ordered (med rare) and it came hot; and my brother liked his chicken and went as far to say it was the best restaurant chicken he's had in a long time(!) The Brussels sprouts were a miss for me (not enough char and I believe undercooked) and I've come to the conclusion I don't like the taste of truffle anything. That's a taste preference and had nothing to do with the preparation of the truffle fries, which were fine. Service was accommodating without being overbearing. It's a small place (which is OK with me), but the tables are too close together.
- good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/20/2014but 1 waiter for entire restaurant made service suffer.
- Excellent Find!Briggs13Dined on 10/8/2014I had only ever been to mission beach for brunch. I realized that I have been missing out!!! Dinner was excellent. Cozy, great service, great food. I had a beet salad and delicious mushroom pot pie. Others at my table had braised lamb, sole, rabbit stew and their standby...a hamburger. Beer and wine list was perfect as well. I highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very innovative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014waitress was a little brittle, less than welcomingSpecial Features:
- terrificlauraVIPDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic experience. Service was excellent - attentive when needed and patient since we were waiting for our friends, who arrived quite late, took a while to order and lingered afterward. Food was delicious - tuna crudo, melon salad and pot pie appetizers, burgers, sole and cannelloni entrees, and chocolate pecan pie for dessert. Only complaint is that it gets quite loud when the restaurant fills up. In sum, we eat out a ton and have extremely high standards for restaurants - this was a winner!
- Great food, expensive wines!RobertVIPDined on 9/26/2014The food was terrific, but the wine list is out of sight. Cheapest Pinot was $58. Spent more on wine than food. Be warned.Special Features:
- New favorite placecabgoesleftVIPDined on 9/22/2014it starts with really nice people that make you feel at home in what seems like an unlikely place for a comfortable culinary gem. you feel sincerely welcome. the menu is california fresh with a dash of comfort. lots of good options for starters and mains. wine list is also very good with a focus on california. Having "found" MBC only recenty, I've been only a couple of times, but I plan to become a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeNewbieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Often weekend brunch wait long so I head here for dinner frequently. A favorite consistently great place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Place Ever!vbrownDined on 9/12/2014MBC was my fav brunch spot, and now it's one of my fav dinner places as well. Delicious food, speedy service, amazing chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Perfect size, not too big and noisy, but big enough for 4-6 people to dine together. Love it!Special Features:
- Not just breakfast. Go for dinnercabgoesleftVIPDined on 9/9/2014I always thought of MBC as a breakfast/brunch place, which isn't my thing. So, I'd never been. On a friend's recommendation, I tried it for dinner. It was excellent! The food was great. The people were super nice and gave good advice. It's a really nice space. And again, the food is excellent. I will definitely go back. I might even go for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mission restaurantlarkinDined on 9/5/2014We went here for dinner even though it's best known for brunch, and the dinner was great. I got the vegetarian option, which was sauteed vegetables and a grain, seemingly fairly straightforward, and they managed to make it unique and very good. We were a bit surprised by some of the smaller portion sizes (like the ribs) and a fairly short menu, but each item we tried was very good.Special Features:
- Nice amibiancemsjrenaeDined on 9/4/2014My friends and I came here for dinner. It was a nice, relaxed spot. Food is good. Standard SF style.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014I had really been looking forward to eating at this restaurant for a while after all the rave reviews I've read about it. They're obviously using quality ingredients and there were some elements that were very good but overall, the food was WAY too salty. I limit my salt intake for health reasons and never add salt to my food so I am most likely over sensitive to it but my husband found it too salty as well. I prefer pepper, personally, but no fresh ground pepper was offered or on the table. We also found the desserts to be generic and too sweet, no complex flavors at all, kind of like grocery store bakery desserts. Given the price, the meal just didn't measure up to the hype. We won't be going back.
- Good Wine Complimented Lovely FoodcwilsonVIPDined on 8/8/2014I was delighted and surprised by a good, inexpensive, selection of wines. The food was quite fresh and seasonal specials, I had the squash, were delicious. What a treat to see cream pies on the dessert menu. The butterscotch banana did not disappoint. We will return for an affordable, high quality meal.Special Features:
- Neighborhood dinner spotgoodfoodwinsVIPDined on 8/4/2014I have always been a fan of MBC - brunch is too crazy, but dinner was always a guarantee - friendly service and yummy food in a warm cozy dining room. I hadn't been here in a awhile and was disappointed by my visit earlier this week. The server and host seemed distracted and not happy about us requesting a table move from the spot they tried to sit us in - right next to the swinging kitchen door where you can see the trash in the back and hot air blowing out. Overall, the place needs some sprucing up - bathroom was full of left over chairs and was more of a disorganized storage space, the chairs are extremely uncomfortable and starting to look grungy. Food was 'okay'. I will give the lavender cheesecake 5 stars though!
- The following 564 reviews are from the Mission Beach Cafe reviews archive.
- Consistently wonderfulinhousemarkVIPDined on 7/21/2014It was our second visit to Mission Beach Cafe. We were very impressed the first time with the food and the intimacy of the restaurant. This time we brought friends who were equally taken with the place. Our friend had recently broken a bone in her foot and had a knee scooter. The waiter could not have been more accommodating letting us try out several tables to see which one could best accommodate her. All in all another pleasant evening and we will return.Special Features:
- Not just a brunch spotVHung08VIPDined on 7/18/2014I came here for dinner although I usually come for brunch, which is amazing. I had the chicken, which was surprisingly good. Not too dry, which is the case with a lot of places. Great wine selection as well. Glad I finally got to try the dinner menu. Now I know why the place fills up so quickly!
- Always an amazing meal!MelNemVIPDined on 7/7/2014Time and time again we are always blown away by how wonderful Mission Beach Café is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past Sell By DateAvoiditVIPDined on 6/23/2014Mission Beach is a restaurant that used to have great food and great deserts. Today, the food is almost unchanged in 5 years. The paper menus are emblematic of this restaurant. They are dirty and have been used so many times they even have drip marks on them. Putting out new menus is not difficult, it is about having the will or the interest to do so. The same goes with the deserts. They used to have 10-15. Now they have 5 and no sorbets. The white walls have smudge marks (look at the light switches). A once great restaurant whose chef has lost the energy and enthusiasm that once made this a great restaurant. They don't even appear to care enough to wipe the dirt off the walls.
- Mission Beach CafeFromoutsideDined on 6/21/2014I had dinner with my son on Saturday, June 21st at Mission Beach Cafe. The staff is warm, friendly, responsive, timely, in short excellent. I had a brace on my leg due to an accident, and our waitress did everything to make me comfortable. Much appreciated. The food was wonderful without exception. The ambience friendly, convivial. I don't particularly like the art work on the walls; a subjective opinion. I appreciated that the music was muted so that conversation, the main ingredient next to food, was possible, encouraged and enjoyed!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and but very loudOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2014Had dinner there on a Friday night. Very lively, but easy to get a table on opentable. Beautiful room. Great food, but the room was very loud and the way the table was set up I was physically closer to the people on each side at neighboring tables than my husband across on my table. So I learned more about what the neighboring tables were talking and laughing about than being able to hear my husband. We caught up nicely on the walk home and agreed that the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flatbread very soggyGamsNEggsVIPDined on 6/3/2014I ate one bite of my flatbread because it was so soggy. It was really a tortilla and it was limp. I left the rest. The waiter knew, but I still paid for it, so I won't be back. The last time I was here the food was great. This time was disappointing. I call this the SF Bait-and-switch. Happens a lot. A man and a woman get better service than two women. A Friday night is generally better than a Tuesday. It's not like this in San Diego or Suzhou, China. What makes SF so special?
- Disappointed this timeEricVIPDined on 5/31/2014I really like Mission Beach Cafe, however, they had an off night the evening we went. Food was very good, but unfortunately, the kitchen didn't have their act together. The servers did their best, but couldn't make up for it. Many tables around us got served way before we did and they got there way after we did. They did try to save it by giving us a free sampler of dessert at the end. I will give them another shot because it is a very quaint place and more often than not, it is really good.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic!Hbros16Dined on 5/30/2014My boyfriend and I try to go on a date night every weekend to a new restaurant. I've been seeing a buzz for this place online but mainly for brunch. It was impossible for me to get a brunch reservation so we opted for dinner. We were not disappointed! The food was fantastic! Wine was great. And the dessert was out of this world (banana butterscotch pie). Can't wait to go back; hopefully for brunch next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJoeindamissionVIPDined on 5/23/2014I'm relatively new to the neighborhood, and walk by daily. Decided to give it a shot for dinner and it was outstanding. The hamachi crudo appetizer was great, the chicken was lovely, and overall had a great time.Special Features:
- Wonderful surpriseinhousemarkVIPDined on 5/13/2014We decided to try Mission Beach Cafe after seeing the wonderful reviews on Open Table. We were cautiously optimistic. What a wonderful evening. The restaurant was rather empty so it was not too noisy. The food was exceptional (one of us had salmon, the other filet mignon) as was the service. We had the banana butterscotch cream pie for dessert and it was memorable....all in all a great evening. Prices were also reasonable for what you got. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014the food was awesome!! we sat down at 6:30 and didn't leave until 9:30 because we enjoyed so more wine after dinner. however, the waiter set down our entrees and literally never came back. another man had to clear our table and pour our second glass of wine. our actual waiter never even asked us how our main meal was... was nice enough when he was waiting on us, but i guess he kind of just got busy with other tables.
- Consistently excellent!AdisaVIPDined on 5/8/2014My default special occasion restaurant for me and my out of town guests. Love. Never disappoints. The noise level was uncharacteristically loud last Thursday, but there was a party of 20. That's not typical. You won't be disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always satisfyinglblicherDined on 4/1/2014We have been many times to Mission Beach for brunch and always found it very satisfying. Everything is delicious, the menu choices are varied and interesting, the setting is pleasant but not overdone. This was our first dinner experience and we loved it. It was my son's 25th birthday and we wanted great food but not too much of a scene as I was not feeling very well. This was the perfect place. Great food options for all four of us (even for me with a limited palate that night), the best crab cakes ever, good help from the staff on drink choices and a really nice experience. And reasonable prices as well! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid dining experiencekrissalDined on 3/22/2014I've been to MBC for their fantastic brunch before, but this was my first dinner visit. Overall the food was quite good, as was the service. It wasn't a mind-blowing culinary experience, but everything was tasty (especially my pork chop)! Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch, Very Good DinnerElliottDined on 3/21/2014Came to Mission Beach for dinner for the first time. It was quite good, but didn't quite hit the same (albeit astronomical) highs as they do for brunch. Rabbit gumbo was the highlight. Other diners had the tagliatelle, halibut, pork chop, and roasted chicken. Every plate was scraped clean, so they couldn't have been doing too much wrong, but the gumbo was the only truly memorable entree. Started with Brussels sprouts to share and split chocolate pecan pie, banana butterscotch cream pie, and Brooklyn blackout cake for dessert. Desserts were good, though all were quite rich and it seemed a chore to polish off all three between the five of us. Perhaps we should've ordered better. I'll be glad to return but not waiting with bated breath.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but better in the past...JLeoDined on 3/18/2014Just wasn't outstanding like the few times we had eaten here before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!icybetaDined on 3/18/2014Totally recommend the restaurant for dinner for anyone who loves their brunch. The restaurant has great food, pleasant service on a quiet mid-week evening. I would come to this restaurant each visit to SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Burger!!DanielleDined on 3/15/2014These burgers will take you to another place. I keep coming back for more. The ingredients in all the food is fresh and interesting. I particularly liked the fried capers in the hamachi appetizer for a salty crunch. As well as the parsnip chip topped Brussel sprouts. YUMMM YUMMMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing BetterMeshmanVIPDined on 3/13/2014One of the best SF finds. Welcoming environment. Superb chef. Fantastic service. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food.... Slow serviceBrunchMunchDined on 3/6/2014I came here for dinner with friends on a weeknight. The restaurant was half empty when we got there (guess I didn't need a reservation!) and didn't get that much busier. (I think they're mostly known for brunch.) The food was amazing -- my burger was the best I've ever had, and the truffle fries were delish. Friends got filet mignon and halibut, which they raved about. Only really problem was the service. Our food took over an hour to come after we ordered. (And it came after other parties who had arrived later.) Nothing we ordered was especially complex, and the restaurant was half full. Food, though, was amazing... So I'll still be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than delicious pies….OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/21/2014I have always loved Mission Bay Cafe, but had not been in a while. So when were looking last minute for Friday night in the neighborhood it popped up as available, and I am so happy it did. My friends and I very much enjoyed our meal and wines, and the service was warm and attentive. The pies were as delicious as I remembered and the perfect finish to a hearty dinner.Special Features:
- A Recent DiscoveryMattegrayDined on 2/17/2014I've just discovered Company and keep coming back in since it's everything I want in a restaurant: fine food, good service, and a pleasant ambiance. I especially recommend the Kale Chips and Chicken Wing Confit appetizers, and the lamb shank entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!!YvonneDined on 2/15/2014Best restaurant we have tried in a long time. Can't say enough about food and service. Wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.