Mrs. K's Toll House
9201 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mrs. K's Toll House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mrsks.com/
- Phone: 3015893500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5;00pm - 8:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Maurisee Upshur
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mrs. K's Toll House caters indoor events for up to 180 guests & outdoor events for up to 250 guests. Please call (301) 589-3500 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Manager 3015893500
A word from Mrs. K's Toll House
Miss K's Toll House Restaurant is only blocks away from downtown Silver Spring. Its quaint country inn atmosphere & traditional 4 course meals make it a breath of fresh air in a bustling environment. Bring your loved ones for lunch, dinner or Sunday Brunch. When you plan your next special event, Miss K's Toll House can accommodate up to 180 guests. Ample parking available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Mrs. K's Toll House - Best Restaurants in Silver Spring ›
Mrs. K's Toll House reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (60)special occasion (60)neighborhood gem (50)romantic (43)good for groups (37)great for outdoor dining (37)great for lunch (33)scenic view (33)fit for foodies (26)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- food was just okayTesaDined on 10/19/2014Omelet station was a disappointment, the omelet didn't taste like real eggs, really watered down. Also, the only meat you could add was crab meet, not ham or bacon which I think is typical. I like bacon but they only had a pan of bacon bits, not strips of bacon and it was overcooked. The carafe of mimosa was very good, we ordered two but not sure it was worth $25 a carafe. I really don't like restaurants that add the tip in the bill ( Here it was in the bill added on just like the tax . I felt I had no choose but to pay the tip. It's debatable in mind for a buffet if server deserves an 18% tip. The server here said hello and brought two carafes of mimosas and for that she got a $35+ tip.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014Excellent crab cakes, cole slaw and yummy key lime pie. Ho hum french fries. Excellent service!Special Features:
- Great food! Romantic!FlyGirl829Dined on 8/29/2014Went for my birthday with my husband. It was great food! Super bummed the only dessert on the menu I wanted they were out of on a Friday night with a 5pm reservation! Obviously they weren't out of it as much as they just didn't have it that night...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful landscapingLuvflowersDined on 8/22/2014The setting of this restaurant is beautiful. While it is on a busy street you forget the traffic when you see the beautiful grounds beside and behind the restaurant. Colorful flowers were in abundance, the interior was that or a comfortable old home, the service was attentive, and the food was all delicious. Silver Springs is lucky to have this lovely restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday treatShivers101Dined on 8/22/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner. It was a great dinner and we had the back room ll to ourselves. We happened to come during restaurant week. Totally worth it. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemLouisaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Having driven past Mrs. K's for close to 20 years, we went in on a whim. We had no idea how beautiful the garden and outdoor area are! The service was on point and the food met expectations for a traditional fine dining menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodsnobDined on 8/20/2014My family and I are locals and frequented Mrs.K's for special events. I invited several friends to dine and was deeply disappointed with the service. The place was not busy but it took some time before someone took our orders and even missed giving bread to another guest. For the most part the food was good but the bread pudding which I usually order was very dry. The gin martini was not chilled enough but the key lime pie was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie But GoodieRememberenceDined on 8/17/2014If it's not broke don't fix it. Fabulous place that I grew up loving and I still love. Truly a gem.Special Features:
- Great brunchraggaza46Dined on 8/17/2014We were surprised that they only have brunch on Sunday afternoon. That being said the choices were quite varied and very good . The biggest draw back was the server assigned to our table. She only came by once after seating us. We had to rely on other wait staff to clear our used plates and get more drinks. She did show up to collect the bill. We were seated dowstairs in a room right off if the buffet area. We were there @ 1:30 on Sunday the 17thif August.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check it out if you haven't alreadyFoodieDined on 8/17/2014I have been to this place five times and it never disappoints. The food is good quality and delicious! I have been there for lunch, dinner, and very recently, brunch. It is very reputable for brunch and thus usually booked on Sundays. It is recommended to make a reservation for brunch ahead of time. The brunch is indescribable. You ought to try it out for yourself. The staff is very nice and they provide great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come with an empty stomach!ShallotsDined on 8/17/2014This place was packed for brunch with long lines for the buffet. I love the all-you-can-eat smoked salmon, oysters and crab legs as it's great to binge on what normally is expensive fare. The creamed spinach was delicious too. The traditional breakfast items were ok, the scrambled eggs looked overcooked but the sausages and corned beef hash tasted great albeit lukewarm in temperature. Their croissants had good flavor but were tiny with a normal bread texture, not flakey layers. The service was attentive with glasses refilled and drink orders taken and delivered. Champagne, mimosa and juice were available for an extra charge. Overall it is a great place for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Ms K is always a very reliable brunch place - I take my family for brunch on special occasions. I gave it 4 stars this time because we were seated in the basement level which was nice, but I prefer the first level floor. However, some of my family members actually liked it better than the first level. So there you go; a matter of personal preference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekMaryVIPDined on 8/15/2014Took my parents to Mrs. K's on the last night of restaurant week. We all enjoyed it. Duck, scallops and flank steak were the 3 entree items.Special Features:
- Once Again a Perfect ExperiencemickiDined on 8/13/2014Mrs.Kay's Toll House never disappoints. Paul was our waiter that evening and outdid himself taking care of one of the guest's quirky allergies. No seams in the service from receptionist to bus boy. The food was excellent; portions neither too large nor too small. The noise level got a little high as the restaurant filled but nothing one had to shout over. An enjoyable evening with out of town guests.Special Features:
- Mediocre food for the priceTestudoVIPDined on 8/12/2014The restaurant week menu was weak. No vegetarian option. Normal menu prices are very steep and food isn't any better than any other place you can go for cheaper. I probably won't return.
- not a late brunch spotFoodieCriticDined on 8/10/2014I dine at Mrs K Tollhouse about twice a year, however I this time was a miss. I arrived around two p.m., one hour before closing. The buffet was a mess. The food pans were empty. A bucket with water was nearly overflowing under the table and the food was really salty. Especially the Caribbean pork. There were some dishes that passed, like the salmon at the carving station. The buffet is too expensive to have bad food and service. I expected good food no matter what time I arrived. Food service 101 is the last diner should get the same service as the first. The staff seem haired. Perhaps they had an unusual busy brunch. Mrs K Tollhouse is a neighborhood gem, however I will have to pass on another brunch at this location.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch is tooooooooo Loud!!LadydollDined on 8/10/2014I love Mrs. K, and have been there for brunch in the past. The noise level is horrific. I brought a friend with me who had not been to Mrs K before. Whereas she enjoyed the food, neither of us enjoyed the loud noise from the table next to us. We could not hear each other talk for the loud volume of noise, talking and birthday singing next to us. I really did not appreciate the loud noise and felt it was disrespectful to others. Not sure if I will come back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbMaliDined on 8/10/2014This is the best brunch I've had. The food was delicious and fresh. The servers were very attentive and polite...a lost art. They were very well-trained. The decor was elegant and quaint at the same time. The ambiance was relaxing and romantic. Both the indoor and outdoor dining were desirable. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After 10 years, still a surpriseRoscoDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I have been coming here for our anniversary for almost 10 years, and have loved their Sunday brunch and beautiful gardens (we have friends that say they look forward to our annual pictures taken there). This year, as I went to wash my hands, I discovered that the men's room was out of order, so the staff suggested the rest room in the cellar. Well, I had never been down there, and was absolutely amazed by the very cool dining area and bar down there. We've always come here for brunch, now I might have to find a reason to go there for drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasantGentleBenVIPDined on 8/9/2014Hadnt been there in a long time. But really enjoyed being there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit to Mrs. K's Toll HousehappymomDined on 8/7/2014Our first visit was extraordinary. We had no idea what to expect. The building itself is an experience. It is beautiful and wonderfully decorated. Must visit the basement. It is like a wine cellar and just fascinating. The grounds are spectacular, flowers everywhere. The staff was as excited as we were to show us around. It was nice and quite. So many restaurants are so loud you cannot even talk. This was great. The food was amazing. We had the crab cakes, salmon and ribs. The fries are really good. It just wasn't dinner, it was truly an experience and we will definitely return again.Special Features:
- MerleDined on 8/5/2014We were celebrating a birthday. Enjoyed dining at Mrs. K's have come at least once or twice a year. We live in Annapolis so have to plan our time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCaUPDined on 8/3/2014The ambiance and the service were pleasing but the food was a big disappointment. Cold, flavorless, the presentation on the buffet was not appealing at all. I could only eat the waffles and I am guessing the omelette would have been ok too. The mimosa was not included in the brunch price and it was warm and unpleasantly acidic. Too bad because the spot and the crowd are very nice.Special Features:
- Go for the viewrooneeDined on 8/3/2014The garden is lovely, the service attentive, and the food good enough for a brunch buffet.Special Features:
- For a totally different experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014You can't go wrong here! If you want an upscale feel but moderately prices meal eat at Mrs Ks upstairs - for a more romantic experience go downstairs to the bar area.Special Features:
- Gr8ful on Open TablelatinprofVIPDined on 8/2/2014When we come from PA to MD to see son we are always happy to go to Mrs. K's thanks to Open Table. Servers are friendly and competent...Food is good esp the lunch French Dip...Crabcake not so crabby...alas. wonderful desserts... Best for Sunday brunch...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True Gembigsherm7277Dined on 8/1/2014We were married at this restaurant 11 years ago, and come back each year for brunch or dinner. You will not find better service anywhere, the food is outstanding, and the ambience is like no other. Truly a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Service was outstanding as was food. This kind of service is not usually found. Would go back in a NY second. My friend and I are still talking about what a delightful time we had. Kudos 2 all. CeejaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FernlunchmagnetFernlunchmagnetDined on 8/1/2014I have always enjoyed Mrs. K's Toll House restaurant. My Mother (RIP) and Aunts always enjoyed brunch as well as lunch at this restaurant. I have been recommending this restaurant to family, friends and colleagues for years. I will always come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelychimpatiVIPDined on 7/31/2014Who knew this restaurant had been purchased and transformed oh so many 10 plus years ago. NOt me till last year. Now it is on my regular list for dinners, lunches, and brunches. Service is excellent and the ambiance is delightfully old country with a garden to look out onto that is to die for. Always a pleasure to return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service SuckedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014Food was good, but service was not that good. But it was very good as far as the buffet was concerned. We never had anyone come to our table unless they were collecting plates. We had to get up to asked for water, a spoon, OJ, Salt & Pepper & hot sauce all separate occasions. So it was pretty annoying.Special Features:
- Decent Brunch ShowingAshleydDined on 7/27/2014Because of the closing of the 2nd buffet (usually one on each floor), many reservations were pushed back to accommodate people who weren't able to climb stairs. My res was one of those, but I was ok with it as my brunch buddy is recovering from a hospital stay & they worked with us. The staff was courteous & apologetic which helped keep my "hanger" at bay (we waited 30-40min after our res). The food is standard brunch fair; bacon, eggs, carving station, etc., but there are also oysters, crabs, shrimp, and other goodies. As a gal used to bottomless brunches I was surprised only iced tea and coffee were included. For the price I've certainly had better brunches throughout DC, but the picturesque setting & good energy do make it worth the try.Special Features:
- KidsCouldhavebeenheavenDined on 7/27/2014Our experience was NEARLY perfect, great food, great service and great ambiance. Our only complaint isn't something you can really fix unless you provide a special room for young children. We were seated next to a very energetic (read very loud) 2 year old and his equally loud mother. We should have requestd another table right away, but the restaurant was VERY crowded. The mother added to the commotion by loudly correcting her son. I am completely in favor of raising courteous kids, and don't believe in baby- talking them. However, this was neither the time nor the place for this lesson. Our experience was certainly affected by the noise. We will dine here again, but only with no kids in the room.Special Features:
- PleasantSapphireSkiesDined on 7/26/2014We came for a birthday lunch celebration on a quiet Saturday in July, our first visit. The service was courteous and the food quite good but not extraordinary. The highly recommended jumbo lump crab cake, while fresh and tasty, was small and overpriced at $20, accompanied only by a drizzle of remoulade, some fries, and coleslaw. (The rainbow trout listed in the online lunch menu, which I had hoped to try, wasn't on the actual menu at all.) The chilled soup of the day was cantaloupe, sweet and a bit too like nectar for my taste. Still, the lovely old rooms and the garden view made for a charming atmosphere, my dining companions enjoyed their meals (particularly the gazpacho), and I might be tempted to give this place another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food, marvelous waiterouttodinner2Dined on 7/25/2014The mussels were the most deliciously seasoned I have ever had, anywhere. My two dining companions and I came to Mrs. K's to celebrate the release of my colleague's book, and we could not have asked for a lovelier experience. Our waiter, Paul Joseph, was so gracious and helpful, and he even took the time to take photos of us down in the tea room by the Lutz glass exhibit so we'd have photos to commemorate the occasion.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!rachelizdDined on 7/24/2014Love this place. Have been twice so far and the food and drinks have been amazing. The ambience is great; outdoor seating is beautiful and fairly quiet even with the patio setting. Great for dinner with a group of friends or a romantic night out :-) Next thing to try is their brunch! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Experience Mrs. K'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014Went to Mrs. K's for an anniversary dinner and was sorely disappointed. The food was fair at best. Their signature crab cakes had no flavor, and the coleslaw tasted as if is was about to turn bad. Did not eat it. Also ordered a Rib-eye steak that was over cooked and looked like something you would be served at a Rustler's steakhouse.
- Excellent Staff ExperiencebrunchdelightDined on 7/20/2014We had one person in a wheelchair because of a broken ankle, and the staff at Mrs. K's went out of their way to accommodate our needs. Both at entry and exit, a staff member opened the door and assisted us in getting the wheelchair in and out. They are also very welcoming and friendly throughout our brunch experience. They obviously have had great training, and enjoy their jobs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014We were very disappointed with the quality of the food . We would always come especially for those melt in your mouth waffles. Something changed,the waffles were Cakey and thick and the cook made a lot of them at one time. Please go back to the way you used to do it.
- Reliably WonderfulDCDinerDined on 7/19/2014Whether it's a special occasion or a last-minute decision, I've never been disappointed. I prefer the wine cellar, but even when it is not available because of a party, I've gotten a lovely seat with a view of the garden or shown a table on the patio. The service, which is always good, was superb on this last visit. Paul, our waiter, was perfect. The crabcakes were delicious with barely any filler and the chef's special, crab stuffed shrimp on a bed of risotto, were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.