Mrs. K's Toll House
9201 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mrs. K's Toll House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mrsks.com/
- Phone: (301) 589-3500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5;00pm - 8:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Maurisee Upshur
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mrs. K's Toll House caters indoor events for up to 180 guests & outdoor events for up to 250 guests. Please call (301) 589-3500 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Manager 3015893500
A word from Mrs. K's Toll House
Miss K's Toll House Restaurant is only blocks away from downtown Silver Spring. Its quaint country inn atmosphere & traditional 4 course meals make it a breath of fresh air in a bustling environment. Bring your loved ones for lunch, dinner or Sunday Brunch. When you plan your next special event, Miss K's Toll House can accommodate up to 180 guests. Ample parking available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Mrs. K's Toll House - Best Restaurants in Silver Spring ›
Mrs. K's Toll House reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)great for brunch (51)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (39)romantic (37)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (25)scenic view (22)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- A Worthy Place to Celebrate a 60thOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014Mrs. K's Toll House has always been my special occasion place although I had never been to the Wine Bar downstairs. The atmosphere is relaxed, warm, and welcoming. I have been a pescatarian for over 15 years and was elated to see the number of options I had to choose from. I had the crab cakes - which were filled with lump crab meat and wonderfully seasoned. The tuna tartar tacos were light and flavorful and the salmon was a generous portion. I am not a great fan of heavy cream sauces on fish but the salmon held up against the burre blanc. The service was very good - once our waiter turns 21 and can begin to learn more about wine he's going to be a great server. All-in-all Mrs. K's Toll House was the perfect beginning to my birthday season of celebrating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchDissapointmentDined on 11/16/2014Price per person higher than the quality of food! Second visit, no better! Gone there, done that, no more!Special Features:
- Always a Lovely Experience!LovesRestaurantsDined on 11/15/2014I have been to Mrs. K's several times. Our most recent experience was exceptional. My husband and I were meeting a friend and we had thought we'd want to sit down in the basement, due to its coziness. The waitress, upon hearing we had a friend joining us, suggested we might want to sit upstairs instead as it would get a bit noisier than usual due to their "Prohibition Night" event. It is this kind of thinking ahead that is truly appreciated. We moved upstairs and had a wonderful meal. The delicious food and outstanding service made for a first-class evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely quiet spotMPMSVIPDined on 11/14/2014Great for intimate dining, no fighting acoustics and loud music. Relaxing atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an amazing find--location, service & food.HoolaDined on 11/13/2014It's been a long time since I've been to a restaurant where everything was on point. We were greeted when we arrived, our waitress was pleasant and informative, the menu has enough variety for everyone, ALL of the food was delicious, and they had a special piece of birthday cake for the celebrant. We all thoroughly enjoyed everything, from the mixed drink and warm bread to the last morsel of our meal. We all said that this is a place we could come back to. How many times have you put something in your mouth and went, 'Hmmmmm!' because it was pleasantly flavorful? My hats off to the staff and to the chef who is working their magic in the kitchen. We were only sorry that we couldn't get dessert because we had another stop already planned for that. But the next time we come, it's on. Thanks for making the birthday memorable and for being a restaurant that gets added to (and not crossed off of) our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to Mrs K'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/11/2014I decided to take my godmother here for her birthday since she was born in the Metro area but had never experienced Mrs K's. It was always a personal favorite of my family so I could not wait to see how she liked it. Our waiter was a young charming gentleman who always arrived with a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face. The food was delicious and my godmother left contented and pleasantly satiated. It is satisfying to know that some things never change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch in TownNeisy38Dined on 11/9/2014The quality of everything is very high. Delicious selection of seafood and breakfast items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Unfortunately our waitess was very responsive to our table. We had to constantly look for her. I'm a long long time patron.....20+ yrs.Special Features:
- Outstanding brunchBrunchLoverDined on 11/9/2014Wide selection of well-prepared food -- seafood, made to order Belgian waffles and omelets, meats, salads, fresh ham and salmon, the list goes on. Charming older house, complete with antiques and plenty of history. A bit pricey, but good choice for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 11/7/2014ambiance was quiet, decor was nostalgic. our waiter mike was very attentive
- Mrs. K's Tollhouse:Still TastyBearlingDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I recently revisited Mrs. K's for an early Friday evening dinner after a hiatus of several years. We cannot wait to dream up another excuse to drive 50 miles (from Fairfax Station to Silver Spring) to this cozy restaurant on Rte. 29. The service was polite, unobtrusive, and helpful. The setting remains eternally romantic; our table was next to a huge window with a panoramic view of the garden. The food, of course, was as scrumptious as always. We both ordered meats, which arrived at the table on quaint wooden cutting boards armed with serrated edge steak knives, hardly necessary since my wife's filet mignon and my rack of lamb were juicy and tender enough to cut with forks. The flavor was delicious.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014Mrs. K's is a must. The setting and decor make late evening dining and entertainment very special. Dining in the wine cellar is a truly unique experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was just okayTesaDined on 10/19/2014Omelet station was a disappointment, the omelet didn't taste like real eggs, really watered down. Also, the only meat you could add was crab meet, not ham or bacon which I think is typical. I like bacon but they only had a pan of bacon bits, not strips of bacon and it was overcooked. The carafe of mimosa was very good, we ordered two but not sure it was worth $25 a carafe. I really don't like restaurants that add the tip in the bill ( Here it was in the bill added on just like the tax . I felt I had no choose but to pay the tip. It's debatable in mind for a buffet if server deserves an 18% tip. The server here said hello and brought two carafes of mimosas and for that she got a $35+ tip.Special Features:
- Hidden GemGoodeatsDined on 10/19/2014I came to Mrs. K's for Sunday brunch and was not disappointed. After looking at different venues to host my sisters bridal shower I decided to try out Mrs. K's. I met here Sunday with my husband, sister, and her fiancé. We had a great experience, and enjoyed delicious food at Mrs. K's. I have decided this will def be the venue for her bridal shower, and excited to return with a group of 10 in ealy January 2015!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014Excellent crab cakes, cole slaw and yummy key lime pie. Ho hum french fries. Excellent service!Special Features:
- Great food! Romantic!FlyGirl829Dined on 8/29/2014Went for my birthday with my husband. It was great food! Super bummed the only dessert on the menu I wanted they were out of on a Friday night with a 5pm reservation! Obviously they weren't out of it as much as they just didn't have it that night...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful landscapingLuvflowersDined on 8/22/2014The setting of this restaurant is beautiful. While it is on a busy street you forget the traffic when you see the beautiful grounds beside and behind the restaurant. Colorful flowers were in abundance, the interior was that or a comfortable old home, the service was attentive, and the food was all delicious. Silver Springs is lucky to have this lovely restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday treatShivers101Dined on 8/22/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner. It was a great dinner and we had the back room ll to ourselves. We happened to come during restaurant week. Totally worth it. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemLouisaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Having driven past Mrs. K's for close to 20 years, we went in on a whim. We had no idea how beautiful the garden and outdoor area are! The service was on point and the food met expectations for a traditional fine dining menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodsnobDined on 8/20/2014My family and I are locals and frequented Mrs.K's for special events. I invited several friends to dine and was deeply disappointed with the service. The place was not busy but it took some time before someone took our orders and even missed giving bread to another guest. For the most part the food was good but the bread pudding which I usually order was very dry. The gin martini was not chilled enough but the key lime pie was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie But GoodieRememberenceDined on 8/17/2014If it's not broke don't fix it. Fabulous place that I grew up loving and I still love. Truly a gem.Special Features:
- Great brunchraggaza46Dined on 8/17/2014We were surprised that they only have brunch on Sunday afternoon. That being said the choices were quite varied and very good . The biggest draw back was the server assigned to our table. She only came by once after seating us. We had to rely on other wait staff to clear our used plates and get more drinks. She did show up to collect the bill. We were seated dowstairs in a room right off if the buffet area. We were there @ 1:30 on Sunday the 17thif August.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check it out if you haven't alreadyFoodieDined on 8/17/2014I have been to this place five times and it never disappoints. The food is good quality and delicious! I have been there for lunch, dinner, and very recently, brunch. It is very reputable for brunch and thus usually booked on Sundays. It is recommended to make a reservation for brunch ahead of time. The brunch is indescribable. You ought to try it out for yourself. The staff is very nice and they provide great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come with an empty stomach!ShallotsDined on 8/17/2014This place was packed for brunch with long lines for the buffet. I love the all-you-can-eat smoked salmon, oysters and crab legs as it's great to binge on what normally is expensive fare. The creamed spinach was delicious too. The traditional breakfast items were ok, the scrambled eggs looked overcooked but the sausages and corned beef hash tasted great albeit lukewarm in temperature. Their croissants had good flavor but were tiny with a normal bread texture, not flakey layers. The service was attentive with glasses refilled and drink orders taken and delivered. Champagne, mimosa and juice were available for an extra charge. Overall it is a great place for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Ms K is always a very reliable brunch place - I take my family for brunch on special occasions. I gave it 4 stars this time because we were seated in the basement level which was nice, but I prefer the first level floor. However, some of my family members actually liked it better than the first level. So there you go; a matter of personal preference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekMaryVIPDined on 8/15/2014Took my parents to Mrs. K's on the last night of restaurant week. We all enjoyed it. Duck, scallops and flank steak were the 3 entree items.Special Features:
- Once Again a Perfect ExperiencemickiDined on 8/13/2014Mrs.Kay's Toll House never disappoints. Paul was our waiter that evening and outdid himself taking care of one of the guest's quirky allergies. No seams in the service from receptionist to bus boy. The food was excellent; portions neither too large nor too small. The noise level got a little high as the restaurant filled but nothing one had to shout over. An enjoyable evening with out of town guests.Special Features:
- Mediocre food for the priceTestudoVIPDined on 8/12/2014The restaurant week menu was weak. No vegetarian option. Normal menu prices are very steep and food isn't any better than any other place you can go for cheaper. I probably won't return.
- not a late brunch spotFoodieCriticDined on 8/10/2014I dine at Mrs K Tollhouse about twice a year, however I this time was a miss. I arrived around two p.m., one hour before closing. The buffet was a mess. The food pans were empty. A bucket with water was nearly overflowing under the table and the food was really salty. Especially the Caribbean pork. There were some dishes that passed, like the salmon at the carving station. The buffet is too expensive to have bad food and service. I expected good food no matter what time I arrived. Food service 101 is the last diner should get the same service as the first. The staff seem haired. Perhaps they had an unusual busy brunch. Mrs K Tollhouse is a neighborhood gem, however I will have to pass on another brunch at this location.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch is tooooooooo Loud!!LadydollDined on 8/10/2014I love Mrs. K, and have been there for brunch in the past. The noise level is horrific. I brought a friend with me who had not been to Mrs K before. Whereas she enjoyed the food, neither of us enjoyed the loud noise from the table next to us. We could not hear each other talk for the loud volume of noise, talking and birthday singing next to us. I really did not appreciate the loud noise and felt it was disrespectful to others. Not sure if I will come back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbMaliDined on 8/10/2014This is the best brunch I've had. The food was delicious and fresh. The servers were very attentive and polite...a lost art. They were very well-trained. The decor was elegant and quaint at the same time. The ambiance was relaxing and romantic. Both the indoor and outdoor dining were desirable. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After 10 years, still a surpriseRoscoDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I have been coming here for our anniversary for almost 10 years, and have loved their Sunday brunch and beautiful gardens (we have friends that say they look forward to our annual pictures taken there). This year, as I went to wash my hands, I discovered that the men's room was out of order, so the staff suggested the rest room in the cellar. Well, I had never been down there, and was absolutely amazed by the very cool dining area and bar down there. We've always come here for brunch, now I might have to find a reason to go there for drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasantGentleBenVIPDined on 8/9/2014Hadnt been there in a long time. But really enjoyed being there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit to Mrs. K's Toll HousehappymomDined on 8/7/2014Our first visit was extraordinary. We had no idea what to expect. The building itself is an experience. It is beautiful and wonderfully decorated. Must visit the basement. It is like a wine cellar and just fascinating. The grounds are spectacular, flowers everywhere. The staff was as excited as we were to show us around. It was nice and quite. So many restaurants are so loud you cannot even talk. This was great. The food was amazing. We had the crab cakes, salmon and ribs. The fries are really good. It just wasn't dinner, it was truly an experience and we will definitely return again.Special Features:
- MerleDined on 8/5/2014We were celebrating a birthday. Enjoyed dining at Mrs. K's have come at least once or twice a year. We live in Annapolis so have to plan our time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCaUPDined on 8/3/2014The ambiance and the service were pleasing but the food was a big disappointment. Cold, flavorless, the presentation on the buffet was not appealing at all. I could only eat the waffles and I am guessing the omelette would have been ok too. The mimosa was not included in the brunch price and it was warm and unpleasantly acidic. Too bad because the spot and the crowd are very nice.Special Features:
- Go for the viewrooneeDined on 8/3/2014The garden is lovely, the service attentive, and the food good enough for a brunch buffet.Special Features:
- For a totally different experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014You can't go wrong here! If you want an upscale feel but moderately prices meal eat at Mrs Ks upstairs - for a more romantic experience go downstairs to the bar area.Special Features:
- Gr8ful on Open TablelatinprofVIPDined on 8/2/2014When we come from PA to MD to see son we are always happy to go to Mrs. K's thanks to Open Table. Servers are friendly and competent...Food is good esp the lunch French Dip...Crabcake not so crabby...alas. wonderful desserts... Best for Sunday brunch...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True Gembigsherm7277Dined on 8/1/2014We were married at this restaurant 11 years ago, and come back each year for brunch or dinner. You will not find better service anywhere, the food is outstanding, and the ambience is like no other. Truly a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.