Mise en Place
442 W. Kennedy Blvd. Suite 110
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Mise en Place
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.miseonline.com/
- Phone: 8132545373x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30PM - 10PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marty Blitz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mise en Place
Since 1986, Mise en Place has developed into Tampa’s premier restaurant for modern American cuisine with an exciting and dynamic menu and flavors reflecting award-winning Chef-Owner Marty Blitz's insatiable love of food. His cooking style incorporates the regional flavors of our global community on the West Coast of Florida with his European training in the classics. The passion of independent proprietor Maryann Ferenc reflects in the spirit of the staff and the level of personal care in your dining experience. Mise En Place features an extensive and ever-changing wine list, and Wine Director Dave Madera has an extraordinary capability to pair your meal with a sensational glass of wine, elevating the dining experience. Chef Marty Blitz's passion goes beyond the regular menu items, for he has created a "Get Blitzed Tasting Menu" that incorporates a five course menu paired with wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Mise en Place - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Mise en Place reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (88)romantic (84)notable wine list (68)neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (27)great for lunch (24)hot spot (10)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- My Best Tampa ExperienceRobbDined on 10/21/2014I knew Mise en Place was a gem from my friends' reviews; but, going made all the difference. Tasting is believing. The best experience came as a result of some controversy, though. The organic arugula & confit fig salad has a VERY tart vinaigrette. So tart that it "burnt" my taste buds. I couldn't taste my wine as a result. I mentioned this to my server and he came right back with a bit of sorbet that cleansed my palette and let my taste buds "reset" just in time for the entrée. The flavors were just incredible all around. If I could give just one piece of negative criticism, the arugula salad is supposed to have goat cheese, but it was one tiny crouton with a bit of goat cheese on scraped top. More please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went back after lunch the day B 4FoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014The only thing that was better than lunch the day before was dinner. It was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We got Blitzed.EmilyDined on 10/10/2014We I found out we were heading to Tampa for a long weekend, I immeditately began searching for where we would eat and I was totally sold on Mise en Place when I saw the tasting menu. I adore tasting menus and I find any and every excuse to eat multiple courses paired with wine. The one thing that disappointed me was the lack of excitement from the waiters. I wanted them to describe the food and wine that I was enjoying but instead I had to rely on the menu to guide me through the courses. The braised short rib risotto was one of the best bites I had in Tampa. Would love to dine here again (but with service that has more personality).Special Features:
- Wonderful place for small platesLovetoshareDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I were visiting Tampa from Washington, DC. I selected Mise en Place for dinner based on a recommendation from my husband's son, who lives in the area and who joined us for dinner. The restaurant has a wonderful wine list at a variety of price points and an extensive list of small plates (plus a more modest selection of large plates) on the menu. As there were 3 of us, we selected and shared 8 items for dinner and 2 for desert. All of our selections were delicious and attractively plated. Although the food at Mise en Place is relatively pricey, I consider it a good value if you are looking for an out of the ordinary dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular food Ruined by guestsCPawlakDined on 10/4/2014I went to Mise en Place the other night my best friend,we had reservations and sat down immediately.The wait staff was friendly and was very helpful and recommended dishes.I started my meal off with the oysters and the oxtail poutine,and found both to be spectacular, the sauce on the oysters made them probably one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten.At this time that a family was seated next to my table, and thought this was the place to bring a small child, who proceeded to scream for 30 minutes.I do not know if the wait staff talked to the parents of the child at all but I will say the screaming child did Lessen the experience.To summarize the food is great and the atmosphere would've been perfect if not for the screaming childSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014We typically LOVE Mise and have gone for special occasions and holidays (New Years) but we did the tasting menu paired with wines which we really a joy normally and it just wasn't worth the price this time. We were disappointed with the server as well... Worst service we have ever had there. He even brought out some drinks which he then came and retrieved and said it was the wrong drink -not bringing the "right" drink for like 15 more minutes. They didn't acknowledge our anniversary at all either which I thought was lame since they said they put it in the notes when I made reservations.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceEnjoyedItDined on 10/2/2014I normally do not fill out these surveys but felt obligated after such a wonderful dining experience. I took a friend for his birthday and was pleasantly surprised by the restaurant's attention to detail. The service was excellence and the food was great. After dinner, they presented by guest with a nice birthday dessert and two glasses of champagne. Very nice ending to the dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost greatCJCbostonVIPDined on 10/1/2014Creative preparations - with complex flavors on several dishes. They didn't always come together for us on a few dishes, though some did very well, like the parsnip puree and the foie. The portion sizes - some were as expected - but omg the risotto "second" comes in about the largest bowl one can imagine for something other than a main course! The wine list is extensive with substantial options for all preferences. Caution - at least one is listed incorrectly but exchanged once we noted the error. The room is comfortable - not much the restaurant can do however about some "loud talkers" during their business dinners...Special Features:
- Nice experienceBear107Dined on 10/1/2014I understand why Mise En Place has been around for 28 years. The food was very good and the service matched the food. I would have provided 5 stars but I had very high expectations and rarely give a 5 unless i am completely blown away and I felt the food was a little pricey. However, I will be back and that says a lot.Special Features:
- What a great restaurant !scooter99Dined on 10/1/2014We had three courses and each were spotted on ! Each was exactly as described and were beautifully prepared. They have an extensive wine list and wonderful desserts. We were in on business and will return next time in Tampa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerRizzDined on 9/30/2014Very disappointing especially on our Anniversary. But the large tables around us were getting plenty of attention. It was not busy. I'm not quite sure why this was the case. I could clearly see good service around us. Obviously it being a very special anniversary we were trying to concentrate on that fact but when both of my courses needed adjustment it was hard to not meantion it to each other. I can't express how much I'm NOT a PIA in restaurants but this whole experience was really, as I said, disappointing.Special Features:
- Food For ThoughtncMCODined on 9/30/2014The menu was an interesting mix of what you'd expect and the unexpected. The favorite of everyone in our dining party? The mac 'n cheese that accompanied the Kobe steak entree.Special Features:
- AmazingGretchenVIPDined on 9/27/2014Brought my parents in for a nice night out and the food and service were amazing. Definitely a fit for foodies. Great wine list. Get the oxtail and the beef carpaccio for appetizers and the lamb for main course!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBilleatsVIPDined on 9/18/2014A great find in Tampa when staying downtown and worth a trip. Incredibly creative small plate appetizers and small plates. Best small scallop dish in memory-perfectly cooked rich balanced sauce - wow. The calamari were a little overdone but the best sauce - Yusu, butter, touch of cream, some fresh Thai herbs and just enough Thai green chili to get your attention. Fried quail and corn waffles Oh My. Got to do this again. And all in for less than $100 for with 4 glasses of nice wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner and NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner, the food was amazing and the service was outstanding. Highly recommended and will be back soon!Special Features:
- Tampa GemDscrivDined on 9/13/2014Creative menu . Great service that is knowledgable and attentive without being intrusive . Perfect for that special occasion .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!bluefreckle21Dined on 9/9/2014I took my wife and some of our close friends for dinner the other night. Our service was pretty good. We had two servers, I found this odd because we were introduced to only one of them. After our main plates were served the other server paid more attention to us. The food was great minus the fried quail and Kobe. The quail was dry. The beef was seared when it was ordered med rare and it had no seasoning. I would've let someone know, but our server didn't come over until 9 minutes after we were eating. On a positive note all of the other food, including dessert were fantastic! The risotto was the best! Overall this was a great dining experience minus the few hiccups with the food and confusion about who our server was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal.MichelleDined on 9/9/2014We are already planning our next visit there. Food was excellent, place was neat and clean, and service was very good. We were especially impressed with the hostess who greeted us so nicely.Special Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Amazing menu! Everything we tried was excellent and perfectly prepared and presented. Staff is very attentive but not obnoxious. A must for that special occasion -- anniversary, birthday etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBethDined on 9/5/2014My fiancé and I love to go out to local restaurants that experiment with food. I am a vegetarian and they were more then happy to show me the vegetarian options and even offered to replace the meat/fish options with tofu. We went at 5:00 pm for an early dinner. Most of the people were at the bar so we had the dining area to ourselves (besides two other couples). The staff is attentive and friendly. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- The best ever!PinkyOVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food is simply amazing. My husband and I were practically licking the plates off it was so good. We started with the Pork Belly dish with the edamame salad and loved it. For our second course, we had the Oxtail Poutine. I could eat that dish every day of my life! For our main courses, my husband had the Korean beef filet which was really good. But my rack of lamb dish was the best ever!! We had the chocolate mouse for dessert and wish we ordered two!! Our only regret was not coming here sooner. This is officially our new favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & atmosphereVeryPleasedDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed the food and will definitely return. The service was wonderful up until we finished our entrees. It took an hour for us to order dessert and cash out, and our server didn’t even take care of any of those things, nor say goodbye/thank you. So we finished on a bit of a bum-note and our backs were hurting after sitting there for three hours, but the food was super delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceCraftfoodieDined on 8/28/2014Ordered a little too much but everything was amazing. Service was great and ambiance was perfect for our special occasion. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usualWEJ33760Dined on 8/23/2014As usual Mise en Place was excellent. A little pricey but worth it. Had the Veal and it was excellent. Tough call between here and Cafe Ponte but this is much quieter, but no piano player. Overall a great evening with great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As rock solid as everVerySatisfiedDinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014After all these years, Mise en Place continues to amaze. Friday night dinner for 2, an intimate birthday dinner after a busy week. The classic Mise ambience level: busy & vibrant, but in a subdued way. A great mixed-age crowd! And the always-welcoming atmosphere and mood (except more lighting or better pinpoint lighting on tables would be terrific and would make the menu readable!) Impeccable service. But the real star? Uncompromising food. Excellent fried oysters; an exceptional fresh grilled squash salad that screamed 'local, earthy and beautiful.' An amazing horseradish/truffle-crusted salmon and equally delicious scaloppini. A lovely amuse, a bright lemon sorbet intermezzo, and a perfect dessert. It's always perfection!Special Features:
- A foodie's paradiseRachelDined on 8/22/2014An absolute delight. We shared a first course Charcuterie board and two second course dishes: Aleppo peppered scallops and Kobe oxtail. I'm a very experienced foodie and even had to look up a few words on the menu. A truly fantastic experience.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceStu542VIPDined on 8/16/2014I like the way the seating is set up in here. We had a private corner booth that was just lovely. The waiter had recommendations which were based on taste not on the most expensive item. Drinks were always filled, atmosphere was very pleasant. The lamb was outstanding and I am willing to go so far as to say it is my new reference lamp chop beating out the Blue Lion in Jackson Hole WY, but only by a tad....Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014We couldn't have chosen a more delightful venue for our 46th wedding anniversary. We were treated very specially, with attention or distance at the appropriate time. Our server was charming and friendly and the food was divine!Special Features:
- Ladies night outLjmfDined on 8/16/2014The food was outstanding, our server was pleasant and acccommodating and the atmosphere was lovely. Makes for an enjoyable evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice nightFargDined on 8/15/2014We sat in the lounge at a nice corner booth and enjoyed the taster menu which pairs a set menu with wines. It was awesome. Your not going to leave here stuffed hug that's okay as the good and wine was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moved to #1 on our listFoodieDeeDined on 8/9/2014We have dined here many times. The food and dining experience are consistently excellent. Took friends visiting from North Carolina on Saturday. They are foodies and were very impressed. We have put Mise En Place at the top of our favorite-restaurant-in-area list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic and Unique but FlatlovegoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014This is a unique restaurant whose rave reviews lead to anticipation of ultra-fine dining but left us with mixed feelings and ultimately flat. After being directed to our table we first observed how loud the bar was. Our two servers routinely reached across the table to fill glasses, gather plates etc. The wine list is fantastic and our servers recommendations were well received. The presentation of all dishes was spectacular. Son ordered lobster mac-n-cheese appetizer which was "to die for" but the adult salads were just "ok." The table bread was nothing special. Panera is better. Risotto incredible. Main course tuna terrific but potatoes yucky. Kobe beef incredible. Desert was the best offering. 5 star mon-thurs maybe?Special Features:
- Everybody must get. "Blitzed"TPAFoodEDined on 8/8/2014Amazing menu! 5 courses of palate pleasing pleasure, paired with amazing wines from across the globe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance and staffJagloverDined on 8/8/2014This is definitely a must try when in Tampa. The cheese grits are unsurpassed!Special Features:
- mjEatsDined on 8/7/2014Second time I've taken a large group here and very pleased with everything. The food is great, the presentation unique, the waiters attentive but not intrusive, and while the restaurant was full, we had no trouble having great conversation all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsCBValdovinoVIPDined on 8/6/2014Once again it was a most remarkable meal. The menu has many inventive selections to choose from and it is always difficult to make a decision. We wanted a quiet evening eating well and drinking a fine wine without having to shout to hear each over the ambient noise, and we got both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nighttearzofglassDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I went her for our date night. The food was great and so was the service. We were there for about 2.5 - 3 hours and sat in the lounge area on the couch seating. We were not rushed at all and got to enjoy many of the appetizers at our leisure and then shared and entrée dish. We ordered a cheese plate for dessert and our server also gave us a complimentary port to go along with it. Great date night for sure and would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLarryDined on 8/5/2014My wife had the tasting menus with wine. She loved it all, calling the wine pairings perfect. The oxtail was remarkable. I tasted great scallops. I found the arugula salad and free range chicken excellent. It was our anniversary and we got some wonderful Spanish sparkling wine. Had a very Carmel and chocolate dessert that is best if a fan of Carmel. The service was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do Not Understand the hypeFoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went on a Saturday evening with my wife. Place was about 3/4 full at prime time. It's quiet and very dark, good ambience. The dishes that we had were just average to slightly above average, certainly not worth the high price tag. Our server, who also doubled as the water guy and had far too many tables to attend to, was poor. I hate to say it, but we get better service at chain restaurants than we did on our first, and last - visit to Mise en Place. The positives were the wine and the "chocolate mousse" desert. The biggest negative, other than our poor service, was the first dish served had the top of a wine wrapper on the plate (really?). The server said, "oh that's not supposed to be there" with no other apology or comp given.
- Classy Birthday DinnerfatsDined on 8/2/2014We had my husbands birthday dinner here with a group of friends. The service was impeccable and the food was even better. They had out table set up and ready to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.