Mise en Place
442 W. Kennedy Blvd. Suite 110
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Mise en Place
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.miseonline.com/
- Phone: 8132545373x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30PM - 10PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marty Blitz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mise en Place
Since 1986, Mise en Place has developed into Tampa’s premier restaurant for modern American cuisine with an exciting and dynamic menu and flavors reflecting award-winning Chef-Owner Marty Blitz's insatiable love of food. His cooking style incorporates the regional flavors of our global community on the West Coast of Florida with his European training in the classics. The passion of independent proprietor Maryann Ferenc reflects in the spirit of the staff and the level of personal care in your dining experience. Mise En Place features an extensive and ever-changing wine list, and Wine Director Dave Madera has an extraordinary capability to pair your meal with a sensational glass of wine, elevating the dining experience. Chef Marty Blitz's passion goes beyond the regular menu items, for he has created a "Get Blitzed Tasting Menu" that incorporates a five course menu paired with wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Mise en Place - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Mise en Place reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (80)romantic (68)notable wine list (59)neighborhood gem (36)great for lunch (24)good for groups (21)hot spot (8)scenic view (8)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- As rock solid as everVerySatisfiedDinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014After all these years, Mise en Place continues to amaze. Friday night dinner for 2, an intimate birthday dinner after a busy week. The classic Mise ambience level: busy & vibrant, but in a subdued way. A great mixed-age crowd! And the always-welcoming atmosphere and mood (except more lighting or better pinpoint lighting on tables would be terrific and would make the menu readable!) Impeccable service. But the real star? Uncompromising food. Excellent fried oysters; an exceptional fresh grilled squash salad that screamed 'local, earthy and beautiful.' An amazing horseradish/truffle-crusted salmon and equally delicious scaloppini. A lovely amuse, a bright lemon sorbet intermezzo, and a perfect dessert. It's always perfection!Special Features:
- A foodie's paradiseRachelDined on 8/22/2014An absolute delight. We shared a first course Charcuterie board and two second course dishes: Aleppo peppered scallops and Kobe oxtail. I'm a very experienced foodie and even had to look up a few words on the menu. A truly fantastic experience.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceStu542VIPDined on 8/16/2014I like the way the seating is set up in here. We had a private corner booth that was just lovely. The waiter had recommendations which were based on taste not on the most expensive item. Drinks were always filled, atmosphere was very pleasant. The lamb was outstanding and I am willing to go so far as to say it is my new reference lamp chop beating out the Blue Lion in Jackson Hole WY, but only by a tad....Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014We couldn't have chosen a more delightful venue for our 46th wedding anniversary. We were treated very specially, with attention or distance at the appropriate time. Our server was charming and friendly and the food was divine!Special Features:
- Ladies night outLjmfDined on 8/16/2014The food was outstanding, our server was pleasant and acccommodating and the atmosphere was lovely. Makes for an enjoyable evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice nightFargDined on 8/15/2014We sat in the lounge at a nice corner booth and enjoyed the taster menu which pairs a set menu with wines. It was awesome. Your not going to leave here stuffed hug that's okay as the good and wine was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moved to #1 on our listFoodieDeeDined on 8/9/2014We have dined here many times. The food and dining experience are consistently excellent. Took friends visiting from North Carolina on Saturday. They are foodies and were very impressed. We have put Mise En Place at the top of our favorite-restaurant-in-area list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic and Unique but FlatlovegoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014This is a unique restaurant whose rave reviews lead to anticipation of ultra-fine dining but left us with mixed feelings and ultimately flat. After being directed to our table we first observed how loud the bar was. Our two servers routinely reached across the table to fill glasses, gather plates etc. The wine list is fantastic and our servers recommendations were well received. The presentation of all dishes was spectacular. Son ordered lobster mac-n-cheese appetizer which was "to die for" but the adult salads were just "ok." The table bread was nothing special. Panera is better. Risotto incredible. Main course tuna terrific but potatoes yucky. Kobe beef incredible. Desert was the best offering. 5 star mon-thurs maybe?Special Features:
- Everybody must get. "Blitzed"TPAFoodEDined on 8/8/2014Amazing menu! 5 courses of palate pleasing pleasure, paired with amazing wines from across the globe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance and staffJagloverDined on 8/8/2014This is definitely a must try when in Tampa. The cheese grits are unsurpassed!Special Features:
- mjEatsDined on 8/7/2014Second time I've taken a large group here and very pleased with everything. The food is great, the presentation unique, the waiters attentive but not intrusive, and while the restaurant was full, we had no trouble having great conversation all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsCBValdovinoVIPDined on 8/6/2014Once again it was a most remarkable meal. The menu has many inventive selections to choose from and it is always difficult to make a decision. We wanted a quiet evening eating well and drinking a fine wine without having to shout to hear each over the ambient noise, and we got both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nighttearzofglassDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I went her for our date night. The food was great and so was the service. We were there for about 2.5 - 3 hours and sat in the lounge area on the couch seating. We were not rushed at all and got to enjoy many of the appetizers at our leisure and then shared and entrée dish. We ordered a cheese plate for dessert and our server also gave us a complimentary port to go along with it. Great date night for sure and would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLarryDined on 8/5/2014My wife had the tasting menus with wine. She loved it all, calling the wine pairings perfect. The oxtail was remarkable. I tasted great scallops. I found the arugula salad and free range chicken excellent. It was our anniversary and we got some wonderful Spanish sparkling wine. Had a very Carmel and chocolate dessert that is best if a fan of Carmel. The service was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do Not Understand the hypeFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Went on a Saturday evening with my wife. Place was about 3/4 full at prime time. It's quiet and very dark, good ambience. The dishes that we had were just average to slightly above average, certainly not worth the high price tag. Our server, who also doubled as the water guy and had far too many tables to attend to, was poor. I hate to say it, but we get better service at chain restaurants than we did on our first, and last - visit to Mise en Place. The positives were the wine and the "chocolate mousse" desert. The biggest negative, other than our poor service, was the first dish served had the top of a wine wrapper on the plate (really?). The server said, "oh that's not supposed to be there" with no other apology or comp given.
- Classy Birthday DinnerfatsDined on 8/2/2014We had my husbands birthday dinner here with a group of friends. The service was impeccable and the food was even better. They had out table set up and ready to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful birthday celebrationfoodiefamilyDined on 7/26/2014High class, beautiful atmosphere. Attentive, professional service. extensive wine list. Food selection was delightfully creative, and the execution beautiful on each plate. From small plates, to first courses, then on to main courses and dessert, we found our choices to be wonderful! Even the cocktails were unique and delicious! We will definitely be back! Standouts were the soft shell crab, flash fried quail, and carpaccio appetizers, and the lamb, venison, duck, and tuna main courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell Very ShortFooDeeDined on 7/26/2014Overall, this was not a great dining experience. I went there expecting to pay more for fine dining and when I left was underwhelmed. The atmosphere was not what I expected but I was still anticipating a great meal. To cut to the point, the descriptions of the food far exceeded the quality of the food and even included elements that were not even present. Over sauced, inconsistent meat textures, and plating seemed like an after thought. It felt more like food from a bad wedding reception and I was very disappointed in the whole evening. Unfortunately, I will not be back. I have NEVER complained on line but feel compelled to since I was taking my girlfriend out for her birthday and did not want to ruin her night. I wanted to love it.Special Features:
- A delicious taste of creativity.luv2eatmDined on 7/26/2014Mise en Place has one of the most creative menus in the Tampa Bay area. At our table we had lamb, veal, red snapper, and beef. Each plate was beautifully served and tasted fantastic. The chocolate pecan toffee mouse is a must try for dessert. Everything about our evening was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in TampaLove2EatGreatFoodDined on 7/26/2014This is a great local find! The service was friendly, professional and thorough. The food was out of this world! Chef creates menu items that you'd never think would work, but they do, oh so well! We will make it a point to visit this gem every time we visit Tampa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting inconsistentwendykpDined on 7/25/2014Mise en Place has been our go to restaurant for years. The interesting menu and quality ingredients have always impressed. Lately though, both service and quality have been inconsistent when compared to previous visits. On 7/31/2014 our table for 3 was left for 30+ minutes after placing our order without a visit from our server. Both tables next to use received an amuse, and we did not, for the first time ever. It was not packed for a friday night. The charcuterie plate was excellent, as were both poutines and the pork belly, once finally delivered. The kobe strips were perfect, but the duck, always a favorite here, was quite fatty and not seared off to crisp the top. Hopefully our last 2 trips were just off nights, we will try again.Special Features:
- Fantastic Find for Foodies!MissSharpeDined on 7/23/2014The décor is modern and cozy, with warm lighting and several dining niches. At first our dining alcove was a bit loud thanks to a diner at a nearby table who didn't understand the concept of "using your indoor voice." Still, it was a pleasant and romantic atmosphere. The service is absolutely stellar and the food is amazing. We started with the Seared Foie Gras, it was buttery and delicious. The three sauces it was served with were lovely, but in my opinion the heirloom tomato golden raisin agro dolce was divine. Our main courses, the Togarashi Seared Duck Breast and the Sous Vide Venison were delicious. For dessert, I highly recommend the Bananas Foster bread pudding. It was surprisingly light and delicate. The perfect end to our meal.Special Features:
- Tampa's best restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014I'm embarrassed to say that it has taken so long for me to visit Mise en Place. This is a gem and clearly the finest restaurant in Tampa, as evidenced by the recent USA Today rating. Luigi and Dave were excellent servers, both knowlegable and friendly. Dave Madera, the GM, spent some time with us discussing wine and food. From teh pork belly appetizer through to the creme brulee, everything was amazing. If you have nevern had it you must try the rack of lamb entree. It's been on the menu since they opened 28 years ago for a good reason.Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Much more than good is necessary to prompt a comment from me. The description in Fodor's of meticulous preparation was right on point. The food was superb and the presentation exceptional. This restaurant compares favorably with respected restaurants in New York and Chicago that we have enjoyed this summer. The menu is not simple, but the waiters are knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningpestomomDined on 7/18/2014Our lovely server Monica gave fantastic suggestions and with Rick by her side they were just the right amount of attentive. Highlights were the pork belly appetizer, scallops, lamb chops, venison, and lobster. All around delicious menu and we will return. Great cocktails and expansive wine list. While it is expensive, it is without a doubt worth it and one of the best ways to spend your money on food in Tampa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure to dine herephermented1Dined on 7/15/2014Menu changes frequently and is very creative. Service is professional, knowledgable, and attentive. Wine list is on point and has something for everyone from cult producers to esoteric selections, all with very good pricing. This is one of the oldest, established restaurants in the area and they consistently keep it new, fresh, and intriguing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious in Every WayHodgesVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was a case of for once a restaurant living up to its reputation. Everything I had was fantastic, beautifully prepared and presented. Impressive wine list. My table mates also seemed to enjoy all their choices. The lobster sous vide is a great choice. The interior is far lovelier than the photos on website convey. A little expensive but worth it My table mates found the service a bit slow but I enjoyed the unhurried pace between courses and while enjoying the wine--just know that in your planning of your evening.Special Features:
- Excellent business lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2014The food was perfect and our waiter Dave made just the right recommendations. I can't wait to come back at night for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterDined on 7/3/2014Good food, good wine, quiet atmosphere.great serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014Excellent experience. I was our first time there and the price was worth it for a special occasion. Definitely a unique Tampa Experience.Special Features:
- A Special NightLeslieVIPDined on 6/28/2014When our 6 year old(going on 16) granddaughter requested lamb chops in a restaurant, I remembered how delicious they were at Mise en Place. We made a 5:30 reservation and were seated promptly. Julia, our server, was fabulous with our granddaughter, making her feel totally special. They even brought her crudites while we ate our salad. The lamb chops arrived and they were delicious. She ate two of the four, letting me (her grandmother) have the other two. Creme brulee was her dessert of choice and it was absolutely scrumptious. So, although we don't usually think of Mise en Place when we plan to take our grandchildren, it was a fantastic choice for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used o beOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/26/2014I had not been to Mise in about 10 years. Had followed the Blitz' from th old days of RG's North. Will not go back. Duck was horrid and everything else not worth the price. Mise has been passed by and they will not last much longer at this rate. Thursday evening and empty - for good reason.
- Simply Spectacularajh6422Dined on 6/21/2014Classic American cuisine prepared with the care and styling of a French trained master. I knew we were in for a treat when my wife's eyes opened like saucers after a bite of the foccacia cracker in the bread basket. The melon vichyssoise amuse had us practically licking our bowls. Charcuterie of smoked duck, Korean sausage, and salmon rillette were flavorful and complex. The fried green tomato salad was refreshing and a classic that has been on the menu for years. I had the rack of lamb and she a crusted ahi tuna; both came out cooked perfectly. The entire staff made our anniversary dinner delightful with their wit and recommendations. You must get dessert, there's a reason the pecan toffee mousse has been on the menu for 28 years!Special Features:
- Not worth the priceRGJRVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food was pretty good not great. The service was ok but the waitress screwed up the order. Ordered the charcuterie as an appetizer. Had to put on our reading glasses to see what was on plate it was so small. We went because it was included in restaurant week. Only one choice for that menu and no one in our party of 4 liked it. Was very annoying when told the bottle of wine we chose was out of stock, but they had a similar tasting wine which was $20 more. Of course it was. Not very good form. I always tip 20% unless service is terrible, so dinner for 4 bottle of wine and tip over $300. To be worth that, dinner must be outstanding. It was far from that and will not go back.
- Great experienceFoodieAmyTpaDined on 6/17/2014The service was top notch, from the hostess to the server. My only criticism was that our food took a long time. We waited almost an hour for our entree. The server was very gracious about the wait and gave us complimentary wine. The food was delicious and inventive. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Mise en Place always get it right!! Never falls to impressSpecial Features:
- Love it.QuentinDined on 6/10/2014This restaurant was wonderful. It is not often I taste something new and exacting. But, The Forbidden rice was Ana amazing surprise. My steak was cooked perfectly. Our servers were excellent. The wine was extraordinary.Special Features:
- Very romantic...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014Spent a wonderful evening, the food and service were outstanding! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall very pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Had visited previously and experience was very good - this time was a carbon copy, with high quality food, notable service (attentive, but not overbearing), decent timing during the course transitions, and a comfortable look and feel. The signature lamb dish had excellent flavors, but was a little tough. The cornmeal oysters w/green tomato relish was outstanding. The beef was also very rich in taste (and tender). Brioche bread pudding was perfect. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great Food and Romantic SettingMaroonTigerDined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed the food, it was excellent, the wine list was good, and the service was wonderful. Definitely will return.Special Features: