79 5th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11217Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.miriamrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (718) 622-2250
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Thursday: 10am-4pm for Brunch, 4pm-10:00pm for Dinner
Friday and Saturday: 10am-4pm for Brunch, 4pm-11:00pm for Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Rafael Hasid
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Miriam
Miriam restaurant provides a popular, fast paced, and delicious brunch menu on the weekend in an atmosphere that is suitable for couples, groups, and kids alike. The dinner is more intimate and relaxed. Miriam offers a happy hour special at the bar on Monday - Sunday from 5:00 to 8:00pm, which provides 2 for 1 Mezes, Wine, and Beer. Miriam also has Early Bird Special, Monday - Thursday from 4:00 to 7:00pm, a 25% discount on your meal. At Miriam Restaurant the cuisine is uniquely, distinctly Israeli. Yet what exactly is Israeli Cuisine? To enter the subject is not unlike entering a sea by foot and feeling a sudden deepening. Unlike French food, Chinese food, Italian food, one does not unfold the menu at Miriam with a set of associations firm in the mind. There exist no single dish, no single style of preparation that one might call uniquely Israeli. And yet this lack of identity is its identity, its beauty.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Miriam reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (8)great for brunch (5)good for groups (5)romantic (5)great for lunch (4)special occasion (4)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- First TimeGillyDined on 5/28/2013This restaurant was recommended by the hosts at the place we were staying. Decided to try it out with friends, a group of 6 to see what it was like. Turned out an excellent experience. Hot was different, delicious, and good size serves. Prices were good and the service was excellent. Maybe the speed of the meals was a little quick, ie seemed no time between starters and entree but overall and excellent night. Would recommend to anyone who wants cuisine that is different from the ordinary but full of flavour.Special Features:
- YummysunnyhunnyDined on 5/25/2013Food was delicious, portions generous and service was excellent. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- MehsullenmoonDined on 4/23/2013We went to Miriam for a celebratory dinner. I did like the ambiance, wine list, and Middle Eastern decor....that's about as Middle Eastern as it gets. We ordered appetizers, which were served oh so sparingly, and different fish, which we all agreed was somewhat underflavored. At a Middle Eastern table, there is usually an abundance...maybe too much...of everything. I can't say the same at Miriam. Pita is brought out one at a time (we were a group of four), and when you order borekas, it is one boreka. The waitstaff was also kind of un-informed. Doubtful we will return.Special Features:
- The food was good but tooOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2013The food was good but too salty. Overall a nice, affordable, neighborhood restaurant. Great for vegetarians and nice wait staff.Special Features:
- The food and restaurant hadsambamVIPDined on 4/5/2013The food and restaurant had a very Moroccan vibe. Everything felt very cozy and neighborly. The management were very courteous and the food was delicious. Great location for before a Nets game or a concert at the Barclays centerSpecial Features:
- Always a hit with us. ThisOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/30/2013Always a hit with us. This time we brought family visiting from Chicago and they loved it too. Thanks for making us look good!Special Features:
- Good food at reasonable prices.kinder137Dined on 3/25/2013Good food at reasonable prices. The Meze (tapas style) selections, with the early bird is a steal. Friendly service and inexpensive wine.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood restaurantaussiedinerDined on 3/25/2013I liked this restaurant. The food was good, varied, and presented well. We were there on a very busy night - Passover - so it was somewhat noisy by virtue of there being a full restaurant, but I could imagine that normally if you sat up the back it would be quiet. I loved the fact that we could either order from the Passover menu or from the regular menu or could combine both. With a diverse crowd that made it a major plus. Service was prompt and no one hassled us to move out. Would recommend.Special Features:
- A standout among restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2013A standout among restaurant in Park Slope. Innovative and updated approach to Middle eastern food. Definitely going back for a second try.Special Features:
- All of our appetizers wereDanaVIPDined on 3/20/2013All of our appetizers were delicious... except the babaganoush didn't have much flavor. Also the chicken schwarma was very big and filling... but I wish they used chicken breast instead of chicken thigh. Either way, the food is delicious and I highly recommend.
- Miriam's is a neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 3/16/2013My friend and I who aren't big eaters were able to share the Dine Out Brooklyn $28 3 course meal. The staff was so accommodating. I told the manager I liked red wine but couldn't go to heavy because the tannin is to acidic for me -- makes my mouth feel weird. So he let me taste some wines. When I found one that was wonderful -- there wasn't a per glass price so he charged me $8 the lowest price per glass. The meal was delicious (I've eaten there before) but always got the 4 mez dishes for $14. Never had the entrees. We shared the grilled Bronzino with white beans and kale. It was very, very good. The fish was grilled perfectly and the white beans and kale were fabulous accompaniments. Panna Cotta was great too.Special Features:
- Good food - close seating quarters.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013We enjoyed the food but our table was seated right in the middle of what felt like a busy foot traffic highway (in the middle of the restaurant in the back near the stairs). It wouldn't have been so bad except that some of the servers were, literally, running(!) and when the servers & foodrunners stepped down the stairs they were often leaping--so a heavy thud would come down next to us every few seconds. A rug on the floor would have made a big difference. I would recommend requesting that you don't get sat at this table-or the one in front of the entrance and also maybe not the community table (if you are a couple). The staff did try to re-accomodate us at the community table but we passed. Good food/service-but loud & close quaSpecial Features:
- Unfortunately, Miriam hasOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/13/2013Unfortunately, Miriam has gone down hill. We went during a Prix Fixe week and though the value was great ($28/three courses) the quality of the food was lackluster. My short rib dish was bland and plated terribly, and my friend's cod was flabby and overcooked. Not sure I'd go back.
- Delicious food, delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Delicious food, delightful atmosphere. Lovely staff. Fish dishes are superb. Make sure to get the mezze appetizersSpecial Features:
- We visited this location forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/2/2013We visited this location for the first time and while its hard to find parking in that area, it was a great food experience. The only word of advice during the chilly months is not to take the seat by the rear entrance. We sat there in a 4 seater and felt chilly the whole night in spite of the heat being on. They did move us when another 4 seater became available and also gave us comp dessert which was very nice. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. WeDonnaVIPDined on 2/28/2013The food was delicious. We finished every morsel. The consensus was that everyone wanted to return soon. The staff is very friendly and helpful. And the restaurant has a warm, welcoming ambiance.Special Features:
- Great Experience for a Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013We had a great experience at Miriam for Valentine's Day. Everything was perfect, the chef even visited the dining room to see how everyone was doing. We thought it was an excellent value, and calming and romantic in ambience. Each course was just very special in preparation, presentation and taste. The bar drinks were creative and fun. Definitely this restaurant was much more special than we expected. They even decorated the entrance with rose petals, which were fragrant and surprising. One thing to note: the portions are European sized, not super-sized, which was perfect for us, but large persons seeking to remain that way will probably want to order additional dishes.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal at MiriamRKinNYCDined on 2/12/2013Another great meal at Miriam: The food and service are always consistent.Special Features:
- mediocreJuanitaDined on 1/25/2013Place was nice, staff was professional, BUT food was bland. We ordered Grilled chicken on top of cous cous and lamb shank. Food was prepared tenderly with right texture but had NO FLAVOR. Didn't think it was great for the price. Flavor comes from seasoning. The food tasted as if it was grilled in oil and put on a plate. Not salt, or any other ingredients. The only thing that was good was the kaidan shrimp appetizer (2 shrimp for $4) Not sure if the chef that not wasn't the restaurant's normal chef...but again flood was tasteless.
- We were originally a partyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/5/2013We were originally a party of 8, but 12 showed up. The restaurant graciously sat the extra 4 people, and we enjoyed excellent service and terrific food.Special Features:
- Perhaps it was because ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012Perhaps it was because of the New Years Eve menu, but Miriam did not impress me. Waiters were confused (despite a very limited menu and only a small crowd at best), courses were served at irregular intervals, water was not refilled, and out of 6 courses between the two of us, 1 was good (a salad) and the rest were just very very normal. Dishes were overly rich without flavor/seasoning. In New York, if food is just normal, I don't think it is worth eating out.
- Excellent middle eastern foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012Excellent middle eastern food at a good price for NY. The wine list is limited but well selected
- Dinner was excellent. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2012Dinner was excellent. We had a party of 4 and we all enjoyed our meals. Servers recommendations of appetizers were spot on. Great prices too.Special Features:
- Excellent experience. HadarloDined on 12/20/2012Excellent experience. Had tickets for Barclay. This was 3 blocks away. Very accomodating and we loved food.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/20/2012Great choice for pre-show dining at Barclays Center. My friend had the scallops and I had couscous with merguez sausage--both were wonderful. Comfortable ambience and warm service--will be back.Special Features:
- Very accommodating serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/15/2012Very accommodating service with a great happy hour special. Will happily return.
- Our first time here. PleasantVeggieHeavenVIPDined on 12/7/2012Our first time here. Pleasant food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- had dinner there before aFoodie2Dined on 12/5/2012had dinner there before a concert at the Barclay Center.. It was crowded but we were seated immediately and had a delicious dinner... we would love to return there for another dinnerSpecial Features:
- was going to barclays forbstsingsDined on 11/21/2012was going to barclays for dylan concert....wanted something close by arena....was not dissapointed.....had 5.15 reservatiob...table was ready.....hostess nice...ordered a glass of wine for 9.00....glass was ine quarter fulll..that was not good.......ordered 3 appetivers.....two were good....standard humus with pita bread......main dish of couscous was wattery and sausages greasy........i expected more from the ratings in zagat and yelp...and i did not get it...so one time and so long and good luck....fyi...way too expenxive......will try somewhere else next time in area....can t wait for sheepshead bay to reopenSpecial Features:
- Great food really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2012Great food really enjoyed it but the service wasn't great had to ask the servers for drink refills quiet a few times.
- The hummus with the pita breadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012The hummus with the pita bread was fantastic. The appetizer portions are really small however, the pomegranite meatballs were okay as an appetizer. The shnitzel with mashed potatoes was relitively good, not the best but not the worst either. The chicken schwarma did not really come with a side and was a tad dry to eat. The restaurant is very busy however and seems to be a very popular neighborhood hangout on a Saturday night.
- Excellent meze array! CucumberOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2012Excellent meze array! Cucumber ole drink refreshing and almost too easy to drink!Special Features:
- If you're going to the Barclay'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2012If you're going to the Barclay's Center this is a great place to eat before or after. The food was delicious, the service was friendly and the atmosphere comfortable. This is the kind of neighborhood restaurant that we would frequent often if we lived in Park Slope. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Very nice place went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2012Very nice place went there since its very convenient To new Barclay center. Had the striped bass other party had seafood paella. Food was great & thev price was rreasonable. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Had a nice meal before thetomfromwoVIPDined on 10/13/2012Had a nice meal before the Steisand concert. Food was very good as so was the service.If you are coming here before an event at barklays make sure you make reservations. We wil definitely returnSpecial Features:
- A gem of a restaurant!BobbyjiVIPDined on 10/11/2012The food, the ambiance, the service were all excellent. This is truly a gem of a restaurant. I'll be back!Special Features:
- There were some hits and misses.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/5/2012There were some hits and misses. The zucchini cakes, shrimp, quinoa, labne and beets were exceptionally memorable. The "sparkling" rose wasn't so sparkling, and the babaganoush was not tasty at all. The baklava was also over cinnamony and hard not tender and flaky. Still, I'd go back to try other dishes and I'd recommend it to others too. Overall an excellent ladies night out!Special Features:
- We 14 people had our familyfit4foodDined on 9/7/2012We 14 people had our family reunion here and the service could not have been better. Miriam took excellent care of us, which helped make it a wonderful, memorable time for us all.Special Features:
- Meze platter was better thanMaestrabg1Dined on 7/20/2012Meze platter was better than couscous entree. Chef/owner explained that the couscous is on the bland side because that's the traditional way of serving it. We suggested spicing it up a bit. He said we should ask for special sauce next time. Drinks were fab!! Dessert was amazing--shredded FILO dough topped with honey, marscapone, and some berry juice flavoring. Yum.
- We have previously had a deliciousCulturedInNYCVIPDined on 7/5/2012We have previously had a delicious brunch here and wanted to try it for dinner. We were not disappointed. We tried 5 different meze to start and all were delicious (beets, shrimp, calamari, mushrooms, falafel). I got the branzino and my husband got the chicken schwarma. We both really enjoyed ours. The menu isn't huge but it is well selected which I prefer anyway. We'll definitely be back!Special Features: