79 5th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11217Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.miriamrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (718) 622-2250
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Thursday: 10am-4pm for Brunch, 4pm-10:00pm for Dinner
Friday and Saturday: 10am-4pm for Brunch, 4pm-11:00pm for Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Rafael Hasid
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Miriam
Miriam restaurant provides a popular, fast paced, and delicious brunch menu on the weekend in an atmosphere that is suitable for couples, groups, and kids alike. The dinner is more intimate and relaxed. Miriam offers a happy hour special at the bar on Monday - Sunday from 5:00 to 8:00pm, which provides 2 for 1 Mezes, Wine, and Beer. Miriam also has Early Bird Special, Monday - Thursday from 4:00 to 7:00pm, a 25% discount on your meal. At Miriam Restaurant the cuisine is uniquely, distinctly Israeli. Yet what exactly is Israeli Cuisine? To enter the subject is not unlike entering a sea by foot and feeling a sudden deepening. Unlike French food, Chinese food, Italian food, one does not unfold the menu at Miriam with a set of associations firm in the mind. There exist no single dish, no single style of preparation that one might call uniquely Israeli. And yet this lack of identity is its identity, its beauty.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Miriam reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (8)romantic (5)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A bit slower service then usualDeanMarlonDined on 11/22/2014Went out for a dinner at our near by restaurant as we always do after shabbos. We know the restaurant since 2006 (unfortunately menu got shrunk after the renovation), some of the staff working there even a cocktail lounge across the street owed by the same owner where we always stop before visiting Miriam or just for a drink occasionally. This time, the food was great as always, hummus and Marquez to die for, chicken schnitzel and chopped israeli salad good as always but few things bothered us a lot this time. Service was awfully slow, 25 minutes for starters to come, without servers even checking on us or apologizing, another 30 min for the main course (we had to ask twice did chef get run over by train) and almost 30 min for desert. At this point Daniel, one of the servers, got a bit embarrassed and asked about deserts,meni to the kitchen and brought some complimentary baklavas while we were waiting. Desert came as well as the owner, Rafael, very nice and friendly israeli fella who apologized once again and took deserts off the bill. Nice and kind. Rafael even escorted us out of the restaurant, apologized once again and shook our hands. We will come to Miriam again, for sure, but we hope next time will be a bit quicker.a bitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surprise!DavidVIPDined on 11/14/2014Delicious, authentic food with a gregarious owner who wants to make you feel at home. We found this place randomly on OpenTable, but will now come back on purpose. Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodilikefoodDined on 10/24/2014We didn't know what to expect but we were really pleased that we decided to go to Miriams. The food was excellent. We were four and all enjoyed their meals. The portions were generous and the prices were reasonable given the quality and quantity of the food. The chicken schnitzel was outstanding but everything was good.Special Features:
- F000000DDined on 10/20/2014Excellent service, accommodating questions . Delicious food and great ambiance . Took guests from overseas here and they loved the various dishes during restaurant week and were very pleased with the cozy decor of lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't feel like cooking? Try MiriamMustangDined on 10/14/2014Miriam is a wonderful little place with great food, nice wine list all at a very reasonable price. Has delicious "meze" appetizers served tapas style with a variety of meat and veggie choices. Relaxing atmosphere, great for a quiet dinner out with a good friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with ethnic flairHortusDined on 10/12/2014The wine list is quite extensive. The wine we ordered turned out to be very good. The food was very good as well. Had a great evening.Special Features:
- great!Rosie28Dined on 10/2/2014My first time here and I really loved it. From the service to the food to the vibe. All good. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank You MiriaminaschnitzelDined on 9/26/2014We had our first date at Miriam and since then, 6 years ago now, we always come on or around anniversary. The food was amazing this year again and we just love being there and thinking about all the great things that have happened in the past few years. We now live in LA, and we still come back around our anniversary and come for our dinner. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Holiday MenuKarenVIPDined on 9/24/2014We went for the Rosh Hashanah. The menu had good options and the food was really good. The noise level made it hard to talk and have a family meal together. If you want to quiet meal go early in the evening to beat the crowds. The food is well worth eating at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful CoffeeoltimerDined on 9/20/2014You can read elsewhere about the good service and food, but others may neglect the coffee, especially the Turkish coffee, which is unmatched in my experience. We were a group of 7 celebrating a birthday, and had a wonderful time, fully supported by a wonderful staff. Bravo!Special Features:
- DisappointingEVNJDined on 9/12/2014We dined before a show looking for a tasty Mediterranean meal full of flavor but that's not what we received. The food was bland and very poorly seasoned. We ordered a few of the mezze along with entrees and salt was obviously missing from EVERYTHING! Even once we added salt the flavors were still underwhelming. Even though The server was lovely and the ambiance nice, I certainly wouldn't eat there again.
- Great timeScorpianaDined on 8/24/2014I actually chose Miriam because it is near Barclay's and I felt like having an adult meal before a concert. The decor is lovely...lots of Bohemian lamps and our waitress was very sweet and helpful. My wine was lovely (a French varietal that I had never heard of), the burekas were delicious and the chicken schwarma was very unique. Great place. I would recommend.Special Features:
- The following 97 reviews are from the Miriam reviews archive.
- AlmostOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014The flavors in the several dishes that we tried were good, but not quite as amazing as they could have been. For example, the haloumi salad with walnuts and arugula was a great mixture of flavors, but needed a dressing.
- problems - portions, accomodationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014tiniest portion of hummus imagineable (and it came with a single tiny piece of pita), majorly skimping; bland moussaka eggplant; even in an empty restaurant they wouldn't let the two of us sit at one of the multiple empty tables for four, or even split one of the four-person tables (they were composed of two two-person tables side-by-side); we ended up sitting in a spot with weird lighting in the back middle of the restaurant, not ideal.Special Features:
- great food, greatest waiter!LesleyDined on 6/20/2014We came here with a group of my daughters' friends for a celebratory dinner. The food was excellent. The waiter was amazing, so lovely and and patient with our group who came in at different times and everyone ordering randomly. He even ran outside after one of the girls who had forgotten her leftovers. He really was a highlight of the dinner! Thank you to him for all of his hard work and hospitality, I am sorry I can't remember his name. We will definitely go back so I will be able to thank him in person. Loved the couscous and fried cauliflower!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Awkward SeatingMoniPeroniDined on 6/6/2014We are at Miriam on a Friday night with a party of 10 People. The food was beyond excellent, great for sharing. The only thing that could have been more pleasant was our table placement. We were seated in the back corner, making it tight for a party of our size. Service was excellent, we will be back to try their brunch soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteavbklynDined on 5/13/2014Our friends and family love Miriam. The food is usually excellent and the service friendly. Was a bit disappointed that a couple of the meze had changed and that the waitress didn't comply with a request to switch the rice on an entree for a vegetable. Otherwise I would have given 5 stars.Special Features:
- Great food!DebbieMDined on 5/11/2014I've eaten at Miriam many times and the food is consistently excellent. Friendly service, pretty room. Always a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Mother's day dinnerShiraDined on 5/11/2014We usually love this restaurant great food and ambiance, and would love to recommend it,but not this time. service was very slow and not attentive, we were a family hoping for nice early dinner, we arrive at 6:30 and didnt leave before 9:15, almost 3 hours..unsustainable for family with small kids.
- Israeli DinnershooozDined on 5/5/2014Excellent food and excellent prices. Love coming here, especially for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid-FriendlyerischwaVIPDined on 4/26/2014My sister was in town with her three children (including a 1 year old - who was a bit upset/in discomfort). The wait staff brought us some watermelon for the baby to suck on to keep her calm and couldn't have been more overall attentive and pleasant - which is not easy with a screaming child. BRAVO for being family friendly and so accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic middle eastern cuisineJooooDined on 3/27/2014A winner! We had an amazingly delicious experience at Miriam! Many vegetarian options. The Mediterranean Salad and Bronzino were outstanding!Special Features:
- Went for a first dateShShDined on 3/10/2014if you're dining in mixed meat/vegan company you'll find a menu here that can support both persons desires.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So tasty!caytDined on 3/4/2014Our group of 8 went here, and had a wonderful evening. We only had the mezze, but we had a LOT of them, probably most of them on the menu, and dessert of course. The service was attentive and friendly but not overbearing. The food was delicious and fresh. I highly recommend Miriam!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Park Slope RestaurantDaiweishiDined on 2/21/2014Miriam's is a wonderful restaurant on the North Slope. Its Israel/Mid-eastern cuisine is very very good and the wait service is special. My only compliant is the nose, but of course that is a Problem in many many restaurants...Special Features:
- Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014I got the seafood medley special they had that night and it was AMAZING! I wish they would add it to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's DelightkabritDined on 12/31/2013My boyfriend and I enjoyed a wonderful evening at Miriam's on New Year's evening. The service was timely, warm, friendly and the food was very good and a great selection of wines. My filet mignon was cooked to a perfection. We will definitely go back again. I have heard brunch is very good as well. The menu was also very reasonably priced given the quality in presentation and ingredients. Hats off to the cook:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid NYE OptionBrunchpartayDined on 12/31/2013A very reasonably priced NYE dinner. The soup they had was fabulous, but the appetizers to follow weren't what we were hoping for. The main dishes tasted fine, but nothing to write home about. The duck would be your best option out of the main plates.Special Features:
- NYE DinnerthodmbDined on 12/31/2013I have been to Miriam before for brunch, but this was my 1st dinner there. It was pre-fixe for NYE. The crab cake was delightful as was the risotto and duck my gf and I had as entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miriams reviewnoralynnDined on 12/31/2013This was our second time for dinner at Miriams. Both times we were seated without having to wait You should make a reservation as this is a small restaurant and it fills up very quickly. They do not have liquor, just beer and wine. The food portions are just the right size and they are priced accordingly. . The owner is very attentive and friendly. While I have a young child is pretty adventurous when it comes to his food this might not be the right place to take a child who just eats pizza and burgers. It is a small, charming restaurant with a very pleasant atmosphere. The food is delicious and presented very nicely. It is within walking distance of the Atlantic Terminal and the Barclay Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were looking for a placeWorldTravelerDined on 12/11/2013We were looking for a place close to Barclays Arena to eat. A friend recommended Miriam. We were not disappointed. The Chicken Schnitzel was delicious! My friend ordered the meatballs in pomegranate sauce, quinoa salad, Za'atar Bread and butternut squash from the Meze section of the menu. She loved each dish. We will return to this restaurant the next time we attend a performance at Barclays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get out with friends2regularsDined on 11/30/2013We usually get there once a month and always enjoy food and atmosphere as well as wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had heard of Miriam butrunner115Dined on 10/25/2013I had heard of Miriam but never been; it was well worth it. We had a group of 7 and were seated right away. The food was excellent! And the place is very pretty...Special Features:
- Food not worth the priceLaneyBDined on 10/19/2013Beautiful space but food not all that, especially not for the price . Service was good, and there were no complaints but after going to so many middle eastern restaurants I was hoping for tastier foodSpecial Features:
- Great little find in Park SlopesbnycVIPDined on 9/28/2013Wish they had a few more vegetarian options but overall the food was delicious and incredibly filling. We had excellent food and the ambiance was lively but not too loud that you could still have a conversation and hear the other person at the table. My only complaint is that it took a bit longer than expected to receive our meal, but the staff was friendly. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miriam was very accommodatingVeeJayVIPDined on 9/13/2013Miriam was very accommodating for our large group of 8. The meatballs with pomegranate sauce appetizer was particularly delicious. Service was attentive but a little uneven. Overall nice experience and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placepeteDined on 9/6/2013Went to Miriam's prior to concert at Barclays , 3 blocks away on 5th ave , very good food, good selection of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet late nite dinner for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2013Great food as well as atmosphere, server Sacha was extremely friendly and polite, food was tasty, portions good size, waiting time for food little bit above average but not a biggie. Great reason to come to Brooklyn. Good job Raphael, will see you again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent satisfactionOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2013This is my second visit to Miriam, the food and wine selection are good both times. The service is tentative and relaxing.Special Features:
- very good, cod was exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2013Brought my family here on a Friday when they came to visit. Love mezedes but we went with entrees since we had heard good reviews and were not disappointed - the pistachio encrusted cod with currant sauce was amazing! We did get a few meze to share as apps - beets were surprisingly good. Calamari was a bit greasy, but baklava was just the right amount of sweet. A little bit loud to hear everyone across our 6 person table, but will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.