727 Elm Street
Winnetka, IL 60013Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.miranisrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8474415590
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - late
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Kaveh Mirani
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Madeleine Mirani 8474415590
A word from Mirani's
At Mirani’s, we focus on the root of French gastronomy, Brasserie cooking. Our kitchen prepares meals with only the best ingredients of the season. But surely our focus on food has not deterred us from creating an elegant and stylish restaurant. Antique tapestries and paintings, Renaissance-style frescos, etc, reflect a classical yet contemporary French ambiance. And while the elegance of the space and the exclusivity of the customers dining at Mirani’s matches its upscale North Shore location, there is also a comforting feel you only get from a family-owned business. The atmosphere is so French that you will feel as if you were whisked away to a candlelit bistro in the heart of Paris.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Mirani's - Best Restaurants in Winnetka ›
Mirani's reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (6)romantic (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We have been to Mirani's twice in the past couple of weeks and love it. Can't believe we haven't gone there more often since it is right in the neighborhood. It is a gem. The food id delicious and the service so good. We will be back again soon.Special Features:
- French rudenessNickyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Probably the worst service we have had in ages. No offer of dessert or drinks. No clearing of tables. It felt like eat and get out.
- Wonderful Comfort FoodJennyDined on 9/12/2014I always feel like I am back in France. Was here on a rainy and cold day. The split pea soup and salad with crab and shrimp were delicious. Fortunately my friend had their delicious fries and shared some. I love dinner here as well. Wonderful fish and steak. And the desserts are made by the owner...delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaayaVIPDined on 9/5/2014Horrible service !!! I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. The service was horrible and I can not say anything good about the food
- One of the Best Bistros AroundmazbpsDined on 8/23/2014Discover one of most under appreciated restaurants on the North Shore. If you like French Bistros, this one is top notch. A Caesar salad starter was delicious, but the winner in my opinion was crab and shrimp served in with avocado and a luscious tangy tomato sauce. Steak frites was done to perfection. Juicy. Tender. Wonderful. Salmon and halibut dishes for those who foreswear meat were equally good. Table at the window was quiet and we enjoyed a leisurely 87th birthday celebrationSpecial Features:
- another great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014We have been here many times and have never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Going, going, soon gone?JimgoTADined on 7/5/2014Close to home and told by son in law "worth trying". Is he in trouble!. Empty when we arrived for"quiet reservation" at six. Very quiet place to eat this Saturday night with so few patrons. One would think service would be better: table was un set, bread basket, four dishes and butter dropped unceremoniously, and water after request. During meal, selected from shortest menu almost ever., dishes arrived long waits apart, wait staff yakking, with calls needed for water, the four item desert list and coffee-tea order. she salmon on mustard sauce/lentils and chicken dishes got tepid oks. The Spaghetti Bolognese was declared "edible maybe and outdid a soggy Napoleon.
- The following 170 reviews are from the Mirani's reviews archive.
- Foodie2enjoyVIPDined on 6/28/2014I have had many lunches at Mirani's but this was my first time for dinner. The food was quite good and the service was acceptable. I asked for a pepper mill for my salad and when the server brought it, she gave some to me and never offered any to the other three people at our table. We were all surprised and thought someone should suggest to her that she should have asked others too.Special Features:
- Bistro in WinnetkaDFMFDined on 6/18/2014We were expecting a menu a bit more extensive but we were very pleased with the Grilled Salmon, Sirloin Steak with Frites with Peppercorn Pan Sauce as well as the Special Appetizer of Scallops with two different sauces and the Beet Salad. For dessert we split a Apple Tart which was an extremely small portion but yet very tasty. The price point was a bit high but the quality of the food could justify part of the higher than normal tab.Special Features:
- MirianiDined on 6/14/2014Just happened to see Mirani's on line looking for a restaurant in the North Shore, something interesting, not the usual. Was very pleasantly surprised. Food was wonderful, ambiance was fabulous and service outstanding. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful mealmazbpsDined on 6/14/2014Enjoyed a wonderful halibut in mustard sauce, with polenta and mixed veggies. Accompanied by a wonderful Bordeaux. (Sorry, wine aficionados - I like red with either meat or fish).Special Features:
- Horrible service. Poor presentationNextDined on 6/7/2014Food was good. Service terrible. Wait staff young inexperienced girls. For nice restaurant, not helpful. Breadbasket served with stacked plates we had to unstack, waited for our food for 3o minutes, coffee was brewed one cup at a time, and never a water refill. Chairs uncomfortable. Restaurant was empty for a Saturday night and I understand why.
- Very disappointedAjeeVIPDined on 5/8/2014We just read the review in Sheridan Road magazine and was excited to go.We were disappointed from the minute we walked in. We were greeted with surprise from one of the 2 servers even though we had a reservation and there was only 1 table of 4 in the place. The server was very unfriendly,took our drink order and disappeared for about 10 minutes even though we only ordered 2 glasses of wine. Nothing elaborate to make. I ordered the endive salad which was bitter and my friend ordered the onion soup which was good. I had the lentils and salmon which was just ok. The lentils had a strange spice in them,which did not go with the salmon. My mother had the sirloin and frites and the meat was tough an flavorless. mousse cake was dry and tasteless.
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/3/2014We have eaten here many times and always find it enjoyable. It's menu has a French base with delicious meats.Special Features:
- Food and Occasion to RemembermomomnivoireDined on 5/1/2014Time and geographically challenged, where can you go as a group during the week to a place that will be memorable? Mirani's. I liken it to cobalt -- a beautiful substance, rare and elite, with most not knowing its value and potential. Mirani's doesn't disappoint in its creative bar area - painted vaulted ceiling, doorways shrouded with vibrant fabric, and acoustics valued for conversational peace. Starting with delectable REAL bread with creamy butter service to its seasonal appetizers to fresh specialized salads (beet salad is a must!) through to the French style steak or perfecto seafood, it's all an epicurean delight. For dessert, we chose to share a lemon tart - unbelievably perfect by measure of crust and curd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie2enjoyVIPDined on 5/1/2014Lunch was great. Salad was excellent as was the lentil soup. I have never had a bad bowl of soup at Mriani's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerJillVIPDined on 4/26/2014We had heard this restaurant was delicious so we decided to give it a try for my husband's birthday. It was supposed to remind you of Paris but that was not the case. There was some artwork on the wall but that was about it. The chairs were very uncomfortable which is a big pet peeve of mine. The waitress came over, blurted out the specials and asked if we were ready to order. She didn't ask if we wanted anything to drink. The food was spectacular. I ordered a price fixed dinner which included dessert. I whispered that it was my husband's birthday and she put a candle in my dessert and didn't bring him anything. Not sure if we will go back.Special Features:
- Second posiitive reviewHungryinWilmetteDined on 4/16/2014I wrote a positive review the first time I was here and would just like to second that. Very nice place, great ambiance. Warning: the club sandwich was huge. I am a hearty eater but I could only get through half of it. The spicy lentil soup was as good the second time as it was the first.Special Features:
- DisappointingRKMussDined on 4/11/2014We went there on the recommendation from a friend. My wife had several questions about some of the appetizers and entrees however the waitress was unable to answer. I ordered a pepper steak and onion soup and unfortunately they were not authentically French cuisine now was my wife's chicken selection. The wine selection by the glass was very limited. The food was good however it was not what I expected from a “French” restaurant having spent 4 years in France with my French wife. The service was fair. The ambience was a cross between Spanish and French. We eat early (6:30PM) so there were only a few tables occupied so it was nice not to have a lot of background noise while eating.
- This is a lovely little restaurantJudyLVIPDined on 4/5/2014This is a lovely little restaurant of the kind not usually found in the suburbs. The decor, food and overall ambience has a definite European feel to it. White tablecloths, bistro style food, servers with a bit more formal attitude than most local places. Since many people we know have never gone here, we have taken others here to celebrate a special occasion and they have always been delighted and we have never been disappointed. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dinner in WInnetkaBob1VIPDined on 3/28/2014We had a very nice evening at Mirani's, with terrific service and quite good food. It is a lovely place for a meal with friends, and I particularly enjoyed the steak frites. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Really greatStewVIPDined on 3/22/2014Wonderful food, service, and lovely ambience. . So much better then expected- first time there. We all enjoyed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedpoopolakaDined on 2/28/2014We had dinner at Mirani's with another couple who we are just getting to know. The noise level was very pleasant for having conversation, and the other couple commented that they enjoyed the ambience. The service was a little bit slow, but overall, quite responsive, and we did not wait long for our entrees. We all really enjoyed our dinners. My husband and I both had the Steak au Poivre, and the other couple both had the salmon, and we all said they were great! This was a perfect spot for a low-key evening with friends.Special Features:
- Great food a little hurried servicedavid328VIPDined on 2/22/2014Had a wonderful meal. Was over too fast seemed like food came out right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried Mirani's becauseGarlicVIPDined on 2/15/2014We tried Mirani's because of Open Table. I don't think that the reviews do it justice. The food was great, grilled salmon and steak frites, along with tasty appetizers. The service was friendly and not over bearing, and the kitchen timed the food well. We actually went because we wanted a quiet place after a "Noisy" week. The restaurant can be quiet, but on Saturday night it had moderate noise level. The prices are fair, but not inexpensive. So, if you want a really excellent dinner on the North Shore, this is a great option. we look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mirani's AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2014Mirani's is a your typical European restaurant ! The ambience is classic with a spacious bar and dining areas, paintings and furnishings exquisitely charming ! Terrific bistro menu ! Good service that NEVER rushes you is the biggest plus for us and our fellow diners. So French ! Wonderful for a private party, too ! We love it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visittruthtellerVIPDined on 2/13/2014Everything was good. Not busy at the time of my visit, server was inexperienced and rushed things unnecessarily. WIne good, steak classique and fries very good. Definetely would return if in the areaSpecial Features:
- Mirani is a lovely, simpleNeighborDined on 2/8/2014Mirani is a lovely, simple French restaurant. I know I can count on a nice piece of fish and a good glass of wine. We have been with our children, who are 9 and 11, and they enjoyed it too (who doesn't like steak frites?!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunching in styleFoodieDined on 2/5/2014We drove here to celebrate a friends birthday. While the atmosphere was cute- and food yummy are server had little interest in working. She didnt refill sodas or clean up dirty dishes. She was in the back chatting and didn't seem interested in her job. Sadly it was enough to discourage us about the place. (6 women) I may try again in the evening hopeful she is only the day shift. I will say their grilled shrimp salad was wonderful as was the seafood salad!! The pear tart was melt in your mouth great. They need a new way to serve their tea as the pots are so tarnished I worried about using it- and the wrapped a paper towel around the handle to serve you- a teapot or cozy may be nice.Special Features:
- A bit of FrancetravelDined on 1/18/2014A lovely restaurant in the neighborhood. Elegant setting for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic FrenchFooddocVIPDined on 1/18/2014Our recent visit to Mirani's reassured us that this classic French bistro is better than ever. The hostess is one of most charming women we have ever met; the service was very polite and prompt; the limited menu and wine list make up for quantity by their high quality. The wild mushroom soup was very tasty, but the French onion soup was as good as I've ever had! My wife loved her roast chicken and my steak frites was incredible, including the thin crunchy frites! It was a memorable meal. We plan to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New North Shore go-to placeHungryinWilmetteDined on 1/14/2014I had a wonderful lunch here with a friend. Granted, it was populated with North Shore Lunch Women when we were there (volume increased with wine consumption) but the reception, ambiance, environment, wait staff and food were all exactly as they should be at a small French restaurant. It was great food and service in an environment that had the easy-going comfort of home. I look forward to trying it for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just shy of really greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014My family and I had a wonderful time at Mirani's. The food was delicious, though perhaps a tad under-seasoned. The wait staff were pleasant and moderately attentive. Our water glasses stayed empty throughout the second half of our meal, however. And the waitress who served our cheese plate for dessert was not able to identify the cheeses. I find the menu somewhat limited, but my family were all able to find something they wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2013The food and service were very good, the steak and frites, the mustard salmon , and the trout special were all cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- New tryDebbVIPDined on 11/23/2013All 4 people in our group loved our evening out at Mirani's. We enjoyed the mushroom soup and beet salad. I loved the mustard crusted salmon and the others at the table had steaks. The cleaned their plates! Our server was helpful and professional. We will return for sure.Special Features:
- Outstanding soups, usuallyFoodie2enjoyVIPDined on 11/21/2013Outstanding soups, usually in a variety of choices,. Salads are fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous place that is cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/8/2013fabulous place that is cozy and a find!! THe food is fresh and you feel like you are in europe for the evening. Wouldn't not make this a stop once a week!!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedQuakerDined on 10/26/2013I was a bit concerned with the many negative comments that I read on line, but they turned out to be unjustified. This place is very nice, and quiet. My wife had the mustard crusted salmon, while I had steak and frites. As always, we altered our order with sides that we prefer...this was not a problem for Mirani's. The wait staff was pleasant, present, and not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This used to be one of ourSophieVIPDined on 10/26/2013This used to be one of our favorite local restaurants. My favorite was the beet salad & salmon w/lentils. The salad was downsized & didn't seem as special. The salmon was downsized as well & seemed to have a heavy type of breading on it which I don't remember. My husband's steak was very tough.
- Cute Neighborhood SpotHmmBugDined on 10/12/2013This was our first visit to Mirani's. We loved the French feel and polite, attentive service. It wasn't crowded and it was easy for our party of four to relax, enjoy our meal and hear each other talk. We enjoyed a nice Beaujolais wine special for only $32. My friend and I were excited about the six different varieties of steak on the menu - four steak frites and two filets! Our au poivre and their au beurre were both good. My big disappointment was the frites. They tasted good but were done like limp curly fries. Mirani's seems like a good neighborhood spot but if you're driving, Evanston's Bistro Bordeaux has steak frites to die for. Go early if you want a long meal. It was empty by 9:00 - we felt bad chatting til 9:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.