Mirai Sushi - Gold Coast
990 N Mies Van Der Rohe Way
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Mirai Sushi - Gold Coast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.miraisushi.com/
- Phone: 3122809100x
- Hours of Operation:
Starting Monday June 2nd open six days 5:00pm nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from Mirai Sushi - Gold Coast
Carry out is now available!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Mirai Sushi - Gold Coast - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Mirai Sushi - Gold Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (15)romantic (15)notable wine list (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great little sushi placeButlersDined on 9/19/2014Of all the sushi places in Chicago (and we've been to lots of them) this is the best. Service is impeccable and fast. Very knowledgeable servers, great menu, good variety, overall a charming place. Don't miss it!Special Features:
- Fresh sushi in confortable placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Liked the fresh sushi in a quiet and elegant place. Very good selection, although scallops are missing.
- Excellent SushiVandiggityVIPDined on 9/5/2014So fresh So good Kani Negri & Spicy Mono specialty roll continues to be the stapleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmed and annoyeddiscerningpalateDined on 8/21/2014Waiter came back too frequently and would interrupt our conversation to unnecessarily ask if we wanted to order more. A friend and I were sharing a small and not cheap bottle of sake. The waiters would refill our sake cups, which was annoying because I did not want him to pour me the rest of the bottle and then say, would you like to order another? He also knocked my friend's sake cup and spilled at least $5 of sake after overfilling it. The sushi was appropriately priced for high grade fish, but we were not impressed. It just wasn't worth the price and we were constantly made to feel like we weren't ordering enough.
- Sushi with CaredinealotVIPDined on 8/18/2014Our servers were very attentive to our every need and ensured that our food sensitivities were accommodated. The food was delicious. It is a small restaurant, but a gem.Special Features:
- very happy with experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014the place is super small. I went there with my sister and we were shocked at how tiny it was; however service and food were very good! Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third visit in a month!LilyTheValleyVIPDined on 8/2/2014We ordered Chef's Omakase course again, and I have to say during the three separate visits, the menu is creatively tweaked every time, and we fully enjoyed the hospitality; none the less to say about the tasty courses. It was a pleasant finding that there was another couple who ordered the omakase course who sat next to us. They seemed to enjoy the course as well. For the first time, we tried sake, Japanese rice wine. They have quite a good variety, but we were not lucky to order what we really liked among the three bottles we chose. Will try other ones next time! Highly, highly recommended to those who knows what authentic sushi is. This is the place to go in Chicago.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in TownChristine8VIPDined on 7/21/2014Mirai Sushi is the Best Sushi Restaurant in the Gold Coast! The Restaurant is beautiful! The Staff and waiters are excellent! They have signature sushi rolls like Spicy Mono, Unagi Trio, Special Salmon that are my favorites! The Sashimi was amazing! Melts in your mouth Sushi! So Fresh! My Husband loves their Beef Tenderloin and Fried Rice! Excellent! I highly recommend Mirai Sushi Gold Coast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit in a month. Love it!LilyTheValleyVIPDined on 7/19/2014This time, we requested special sushi course dinner again. To my surprise, how and what were served were very differently from the last time. Of course, the core items were no different, and it is a proof of how much the chef, Jun-san, put thought into how best served the ingredients of the day. I think they had better quality raw fish than the last time, which do not translate please that the last time was bad. This time was simply superior. He has flexibility to modify the course based on what fish you feel like having the day, so I would strongly suggest you to order whatever you feel like. At the end of the course, my daughter ordered o-toro (fattiest tuna) and salmon, and they looked delicious! Will come visit in two weeks!Special Features:
- MiraiLaurenVIPDined on 7/18/2014I'd never been to Mirai but was excited to try it since this new location is so close to me. The space is very small and it's slightly distracting the number of wait staff and employees hustling around. There's no separation between the service prep area and the dining room which can be loud. This could be fixed by hanging a simple curtain. The sushi list itself was shorter than we anticipated but the sharing portions were delicious, specifically the filet and fried rice. The rice was very unique. The Panko shrimp roll was awesome. The wine list was a little pricey. While the food was good, it wasn't quite as impressive as I'd hoped and due to the space size, it's best for 2-4 people per party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingStanVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had tired of eating sushi -- it had lost its flavor and newness. Mirai, however, brought back that sense of deliciousness and awe. A beautiful meal. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Fantastic sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014We've been fans of the original Mirai for years. Now we're delighted to have this little gem closer to home. Same great sushi with the addition of a wonderful hot menu to satisfy those who want steak, fish or chicken. The fried rice is delicious as welSpecial Features:
- Best authentic sushi course ever!LilyTheValleyVIPDined on 6/23/2014Special sushi course dinner was prepared for us, and I was simply so impressed with the delicate taste and beautiful presentation of the whole course. All the ingredients are carefully selected and prepared in the best way out of each condition. I have been in Chicagoland for over 10 years, and I would give them the credit the best authentic sushi ever here. (Believe me! I was born and grew up in Japan, so I know what I am talking about.) Highly, highly recommended. The ambience is sophisticated, but I saw some well behaved children there too. Cannot wait to visit there again. Jun-san is the best sushi chef in town.Special Features:
- Don't botherSboarderDined on 6/21/2014We are regular Mirai customers at the Division Street location. It has always been one of our favorite restaurants. As we were going to be closer to the Gold Coast location, we decided to try it. BIG MISTAKE! I am not sure what the deal is other than this location is not managed well. The menu is the same, but the quality is not. Maybe they can get away with it, being a location where they get a lot of non-local patronage, but anyone who has been to Mirai on Division is going to notice the difference. While our server was very good, there was an underlying attitude with the rest of the staff that emanated indifference. I would not recommend this location to anyone. There are a lot of other great sushi restaurants in the city.
- fast diningMeLslDined on 6/20/2014First the food is excellent--no worries there. I have dined at their original location and was expecting the same at the Gold Coast location. Nope. The restaurant is incredibly small and looks like the opening/decor was expensive. We had the feeling they were rushing people through the restaurant in order to turn over the table quickly to pay for the location/rent. Our waiter, Todd, asked us if we understood how the restaurant worked, that we would get the food "when it was ready". We had answered yes. Then we were off to the races. $200 meal in 50minutes. We had soup, endamame and 2 trays of sushi all on table at same time. Everything was rushed. We are not the type to take up a table for 3 hrs but this was ridiculous.Special Features:
- Somewhat Swishy sushi2HottieVIPDined on 6/19/2014Happy to have this sushi restaurant reopened with a more realistic price point. The food was very good, but service a bit rushed due to the small amount of tables available. The space is nice. We will go back for a "quick sushi fix". Also good to know that there is a carry out menu.Special Features:
- Nice Establishment; Hidden GemMarQDined on 6/14/2014Great food, very attentive service. Portion sizes can be a bit bigger, but all is wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKTChicagoVIPDined on 6/3/2014Unless I missed the secret back room or way to get to the real dining area, the place is uncomfortably & awkwardly small. The food was pretty good; but not the outstanding sushi/food that is so easy to find in Chicago. Served tapas style, we found ourselves ordering again and again and again, eventually racking up a very hefty bill. The service was often cold/indifferent; irritated by our presence. There was a moment when my in-law asked if they have rice paper instead of seaweed for her rolls and the guy just stood there. Eventually, he forced out a "no" but it was a very weird moment. He often disappeared and another server was beyond irritated that I asked for a refill on my iced tea. The bill was shoved down quickly. Message received.
- Wonderful gemHappyDinerDined on 5/30/2014I just moved back to Chicago after 10 years in Hawaiii with some of the best sushi outside of Japan. This restaurant did not disappoint. The sushi was very fresh. The menu has a little something for all diners particularly if your fellow diner has an aversion to raw seafood. My only complaint is the sake - the prices seem quite high for even the most basic sake but that is true of wine and alcohol prices throughout the Gold Coast and Michigan Avenue. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Streeterville MiraiNotlawVIPDined on 5/29/2014This was our first visit to Mirai Streeterville. For appetizers, we had the grilled octopus which was delightful. The main course was a sampling of tuna sashimi - fresh, light. We then had two orders of uni , one sashimi and one sushi. These were exquisite. A sushi house can always be judged by the quality of its uni - this uni was some the best I'd ever had. The biggest disappointment came with the spicy tuna roll - it was a squeezed roll of rice upon which slabs of tuna were laid across the top, when one attempted to pick up a piece, the whole thing fell apart. While tasty, it wasn't much fun trying to house clean your plate after every bite. Overall this was a great dining experience - a bit pricy but that uni....ahhh!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate SushilionelwarwickcopplesonDined on 5/28/2014Mirai on Division, famous for its sushi, has come downtown with this notable addition. Sheff Jun is producing superb sushi and other traditional Japanese foods. Flavourfull, authentic and delicious dishes were presented with caring and efficient service. A superb place to go for realy good food and ampience in a small but delightfulplace.Special Features:
- The following 4 reviews are from the Mirai Sushi - Gold Coast reviews archive.
- Not like wicker parkVinciVIPDined on 5/16/2014This restaurant was a huge disappointment. The service was in attentive, the food was mediocre, and the restaurant even charged for a sauce that always is served at other sushi restaurants for free. I would never go back and I recommend you never go .
- Very small...TandVCLTVIPDined on 5/3/2014We're from NC, and came for the weekend, and were told to come here for dinner. It's a cute spot, but if you're wanting a romantic spot, this isn't it. When we went, it had only been open for 5 days. The seating is very close together, and you'll feel like you're dining with everyone. The lady next to my girlfriend was very drunk and kept touching her every time she spoke to her. The menu could use more varieties. We felt that there were very little to choose from. We ended up just ordering sashimi, which you can't go wrong with...only when they run out of the lean tuna...All-in-all, I think it's an okay restaurant, but I don't think we will be going back.
- AwesomeSusanmchiVIPDined on 5/3/2014Fabulous addition to the Gold Coast!! Sushi perfection! Wish the restaurant was bigger to being a group!Special Features:
- Too newcityplaceVIPDined on 4/29/2014We went the first night it opened so some of the kinks weren't worked out. Service was very slow. We don't eat sushi and the non sushi items were very few and some had no option of being less spicy. Our beet salad was very good. The salmon was delicious. The rice came with bacon, which wasn't listed on the menu. They redid it and didn't charge us which was very nice. Since they were very nice, and we liked what we had, we probably will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.