150 E. 50th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mintny.com/
- Phone: 2126448888
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:45 AM - 11:30 PM Saturday - Friday 11:45 AM - 12:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Gary Sikka
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Catering Available. Please Call for Call
- Private Party Facilities: Buy Out Available. For Details call Chef Gary
- Private Party Contact: Gary Sikka 9172084027
- Special Events: Private Events Available. Please Call
A word from MINT
The only Indian restaurant to be awarded by Time Out New York. The 110 seat restaurant is located within the newly renovated San Carlos Hotel with a street and lobby entrance. The exotic atmosphere whisks you to Southeast Asia as soon as you open the door and spot the stone waterfall cascading down the wall. Orange, red, and fuscia drum lights are snuggled together throughout the long dining room, and painted panels of mint, yellow, and green hang over striped banquettes. There is a semi-private room complete with audio video equipment that seats 12. Mint is a labor of love for Gary Sikka, and he is taking great pride in bringing an exemplary dining experience in an atmosphere that is both tranquil and exhilarating. The definition of mint is "an aromatic refreshing herb that serves as a central ingredient in accompaniment sauces in Indian cuisine." That can also be said of the new restaurant that is its namesake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MINT reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (9)romantic (7)great for lunch (6)special occasion (4)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Overpriced food, poor serviceMetFanVIPDined on 9/18/2014With so many great Indian restaurants in the City, I would never go back to Mint.
- subtle, consistent, delishdehillerinVIPDined on 9/3/2014We came for the ever juicy chicken malai kebab appetizer and tried the saffron shrimp, which was also wonderful: aromatic, slightly sweet. This restauarant serves the most pleasing Indian food in town, but it doesn't get enough praise. Go!Special Features:
- OK, but better optionsRickardDined on 8/30/2014With all the great Indian restaurants in NYC, this one is OK but could be much better. The facility is fine and the food is good but not top notch. The problem is the service. Don't get me wrong, the service people are quite friendly and pleasant; but they are quite disorganized. They seem to be trying to figure out the bill (billed extra for items not purchased but recommended by the waiter-Groupon not credited even when presented at time of service). We had to get the waiter's attention a number of times.
- Excellent Indian FoodWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 8/21/2014A serious cut above the norm, with lots of dishes I haven't seen elsewhere. Great for a date who'd like to try quality Indian food, without worrying about an upset stomach later.Special Features:
- StephenHVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was my first time at Mint. I must admit after reading some reviews I was concerned about the service. But the service was friendly and very good. The food was gerat, and I will be back.
- Don't go here!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014This is my one and only bad experience throughout my many years with Open Table. We had to wait 20 minutes to be seated, because the floor was wet (?) and the food wasn't ready. Once we finally got to eat there were lots of waiters going back and forth, except that they never stopped at any table including ours. Makes you wonder what else is going on there. The food was without flavor. It not only lacked any spiciness, it didn't have any of the lovely complex flavors Indian cuisine has to offer. Don't go there!!!
- Looks are deceivingJan28Dined on 8/5/2014Beautiful place but they need to get their act together. Took forever to be seated and they did not care that we had a reservation (didn't ask our name) because it was not crowded. But still we had to wait a long time to be seated. We were in the restaurant an hour before we had food. You think they would have brought the papadun at least that we ordered (which was excellent). Tandoori chicken tasted mushy. Cauliflower was good though heavy handed tomato sauce (maybe from a jar?). Okra was good, as was the lamb. The naan and rosti (whole wheat naan) were great. Don't bother with the chocolate moltan lava desert.
- Not a good experienceFoodieDined on 8/3/2014I went for a dinner with my friends. The food was "OK", but the service was lousy. Didn't enjoy / Not worth the time and money you spend going there.
- 2 thumbs upLinicDined on 8/2/2014Me and my boyfriend loves the food and also the service was great and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrdacityDined on 8/1/2014When we arrived it was pretty empty. We realized because they close around 1130/12. The waiters were a little difficult to understand but was able to order everything perfectly from the restaurant week prefix menu. The bottle of Riesling we ordered was great. Not dry with a little hint of sweetness. Towards the end we felt a bit rushed because they were trying to close up. So we hurried our dessert and the rest of our drink and headed out. Overall the food was great. Service was good but could do with some improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentPaulDined on 8/1/2014Nice appearance. Went for lunch buffet...convenient location. Decent Indian food...there is better in the duty..but go there because of location.Special Features:
- A great NYC experience.FoodLoverDined on 7/31/2014I went to Mint while here in NYC with my friend. We made reservations but we ran a little late because the restaurant was full so the waiter told us to have some drinks at the bar. We had a delicious lychee martini & the bartender friendly. When we got a table it was pretty small but we had no choice. Our waiter Dhinesh came to the table and we asked what are some popular dishes. He explained about the prefix menu which includes an appetizer, entree and dessert. The food was excellent. We ordered the malabar shrimp which came with basmati rice and naan. It was delicious and finally the dessert was kheer. This is a great place to eat. The waiter was quick and the atmosphere was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best indian foodGtfromnycDined on 7/31/2014The food was bland. Service not great, not even a host when we got there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014The food was traditional Indian cuisine, with a good choice for restaurant week. The chef made sure our dishes were the requested level of spice.Special Features:
- Very good food. Mediocre servicerileydogDined on 7/29/2014We really enjoyed the food but the service left quite a bit to be desired. Our reservation was a 7pm. First, nobody was at the door to greet us at the front door (where there is a computer/phone, etc) so after waiting 5 minutes we wandered back and the bartender pointed us to a waiter who sat us. Another 5-10 min later we were finally greeted by the waiter who barely took any time to help us overall. We had a couple questions when order (which is the best lamb dish, etc) and he answered too quickly and hard to understand so we just nodded at the suggestion hoping for the best. The food was excellent, I have to say. But our 3 main courses came w/o rice and no prompting by the waiting that we should consider ordering rice.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC IN EVERY WAYOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014What an amazing night for my daughter's birthday!!! Food was amazing, drinks were amazing, service was SUPERB!!!!!! Can't wait to try againSpecial Features:
- Buffet seemed better thanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014The choices for restaurant week menu. First they did not include certain items that their website said their RW menu. 2nd their site quoted $17, not $25. Nothing to write home about
- Food very good, service not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014My friend and I went here on a Thursday night. The place was relatively empty - about 8-9 tables were being served. The food was very good and nicely prepared. However, the service needs work. I did not see any of the service staff interested in keeping the guests satisfied or providing timely service. We had to wait at least 15 minutes to get the check and then had to go to the cashier to expedite our request. It was very strange as they had a significant number of service staff working that night. My recommendation to the owner would be retrain the service staff so that have a better idea of service. It is a shame because the restaurant ambiance is great - lots of potential.
- Great Indian foodHiddenSpotDined on 6/28/2014The atmosphere of the place had a real cool vibe. The service was great too. The drinks were a little too strong and the prices were too high. My overall experience was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way Too Expensive!!!`Manish276Dined on 6/28/2014The food is pretty average. There is nothing extraordinary about it except for the price! A la Carte is way too expensive!!! I paid $75 for the lunch for just 2 ppl without having any kind of alcohol. There is no way the food can justify the prices they charge!
- Good FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014Good food and service. I was staying at the Marriott Lexington Ave in NYC and this is just around the corner. Happy hour available. Dinner was delicious and service was great. Very helpful if you are not familiar with Indian Food. I would return again.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!MerryDinerDined on 6/8/2014Gourmet. Had the Saffron Shrimp which were the size of small lobsters and sooooo delicious! Can't wait to dine at Mint again.Special Features:
- awesome!villamiramarDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant was great. The food was very tasty, great flavors. The service was great as was the ambiance. I would definitely return and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 365 reviews are from the MINT reviews archive.
- be carefulservicechargeissueVIPDined on 5/30/2014They stick in service charges into your bill which can add 30 % to the billI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodGUJUSHAHDined on 5/22/2014Good taste and variety of food items. We enjoyed this place.Special Features:
- sad that this wasn't greatfoodiefindsDined on 5/22/2014Lukewarm food, erratic Indian dishes with too much cardomon, hated being charged 18% gratuity fee when there was two - not six of us - but nice waiter...sad...;(
- No rice?DobbsDinerVIPDined on 5/20/2014The food we ordered was good: tandoor lamb chops, saag paneer, chana masala and a couple of naans and I did enjoy the Lychee martini. But even with a Groupon, this was expensive. I dont mind paying for quality and usually withGroupons I always walk away feeling like I got a great deal. But to order 3 entress and not have them come with any rice is ridiculous and petty. I had a nice time and we had good service and if I worked in the area I would give the lunch buffet a try or the dinner take out. I also noticed a prix fix dinner which looked like a better deal but you could not use the Groupon for that. I live in Westchester and would rather go to Chutney Masala in Irvington for high quality Indian food with good service and nice ambiance
- Delightful findpickyeaterDined on 4/4/2014We had an early dinner when the restaurant was very quiet. The service was attentive and appropriate, not intrusive to our conversation. We ordered two appetizers, a lamb kabob and crab cakes, and for dinner I had saag chana and a mixed vegetable dish in a creamy cashew sauce, while my companion had the sea bass. All were delicious. I look forward to another visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLive2eatDined on 3/26/2014I should have followed the reviews "don't go". It was like paying for a bad movie we should have walked out on. It was like they wanted to be a hip club/ dining experience when in fact it failed in both. Every other Indian restaurant I've been to asks the degree of spicyness I'd like. So the spice rating was too high for my taste. To their credit they did make us another dish. The garlic naan had too much garlic and salt, the flavor of the bread was lost. There wine list was lacking at best and then after ordering two different bottles ( on the menu, not in stock) we settled for a more expensive poor quality cab. Should have stuck with water. I won't be putting this on my list of restaurants to go to again.
- Fell Short Of ExpectationsSugaDined on 3/7/2014I wanted to have an open mind after reading the reviews before I went (because they weren't so good). I went to the location in Queens before and It was very good. I had service at the bar first & then moved on to dinner. The bartender was really nice. The problem was, the service was so slow. I sat down with my guest, and I saw that my neighboring table had been sitting down prior to me for quite some time as well, and they still didn't have orders in front of them. I turned over to these strangers to ask if they have even had the chance to place their order yet. They said no in calm, yet still frustration. I got up from my table and went to find my waiter and my neighbors waiter. I finally got the waiters. Slow Service But Loved Ambiance.Special Features:
- i would not recommend thisnycfoodieVIPDined on 3/3/2014i would not recommend this restaurant to others because there are too many great restaurants in nyc to go to an OK on
- Lunch BuffetSeanSDined on 2/26/2014Loved the lunch. Great mix of taste, price, and atmosphere. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- The Dal Makhani was not theMorrelliGirlVIPDined on 2/24/2014The Dal Makhani was not the rich dark brown like in India and the chicken korma could have been a little zestier, but the Bhindi and nan were delicious. The place is well appointed and pleasing to the senses, but there are no Indian accents. Service was attentive. I would go again.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014I had a wonderful experience at mint and the food was absolutely delicious and the service was impeccable. However I had a groupon for $160 and they only let me use $80. I tried talking to the guy and explaining my situation but he just didn't seem to care, so if you have a groupon, make sure you show them it before you order. Other than that, this is a fine and vibrant lounge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian food in MidtownCharlestonGirlVIPDined on 2/21/2014This is a great lunch spot. The food/service is great. The staff doesn't rush you. We were there for 2 hours. If you are looking for a good Indian restaurant in Midtown, this is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should Be BetterRadioPeriVIPDined on 2/7/2014It was fine, don't get me wrong ... just not fine enough. Especially not for the price, and especially not when there are so many Indian food restaurants around with better food and fairer prices. $5 for an order of naan, $6 for a side of plain white rice, $19 for an order of chicken tikka masala, and $22 for a plate of underseasoned tandoori chicken all combine to make this place eminently skip-able. That said, Happy Hour at the pretty bar could make it a worthwhile stop *before* dinner someplace else.
- lunch menu does not existOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/7/2014They don't have lunch menu you can see in Opentable. One of the reason I went there was that when I checked the lunch menu of Mint in Opentable, it showed some lunch menu with reasonable price. When I went there, I requested lunch menu, and I was given only regular dinner menu. I requested lunch menu one more time and I was told that they don't have lunch menu, but they have buffet which is $15.
- Great food, service a bit offOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/30/2014The food was great, no complaints about that. The service had some problems; maybe it was an off day, but the guys seemed to mean well. They brought parts of our order to another table, they brought the bill to the wrong table. When we went to pay our bill, the bill wasn't quite correct, and when we paid, they said they didn't have enough cash in the register to make change, and we had to wait for another table to pay their bill to make our change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayISPROUDVIPDined on 1/26/2014Enjoyed dinner without feeling rushed. No discretion though re candles....gave us the box to place on dessert ourselves which was quite funny. Everyone liked their food. Wine bottle ordered was served from the bar which seemed strange. We got our glasses filled having never been shown the bottle.Special Features:
- Delicious Indian FareUniversitymomVIPDined on 1/16/2014Subtle layered flavors, wonderful buffet at lunch with variety. Solicitous waitstaff and reasonable prices. A wonderful meal!Special Features: