77 West St.
Simsbury, CT 06070Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.millwrightsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 860-651-5500x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: open at 5:30 pm,
Saturday & Sunday: open at 5:00 pm
Tavern (No Reservations, Walk-ins only):
Tuesday - Sunday: open at 5:00 pm
Friday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tyler Anderson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Millwright"s offers separate locations for private gatherings. In various arrangements, we are happy to host parties from 15 - 120 for either small corporate gatherings or kitchen demos & full restaurant buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Mussman 8606515500x103
A word from Millwright's
With its unique setting perched atop a waterfall in Simsbury, Connecticut, Millwright's invites guests to dine in the 17th century mill with acclaimed Chef Tyler Anderson and his staff. Featuring daily-chosen farm ingredients, the freshest and most select product, proprietary cocktails, and exciting wine menu, Millwright's offers a new experience to the Farmington Valley dining scene. Our staff eagerly awaits your next visit...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Millwright's - Best Restaurants in Simsbury ›
Millwright's reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (100)special occasion (98)fit for foodies (93)romantic (78)notable wine list (43)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (23)great for brunch (20)great for outdoor dining (18)hot spot (9)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Romantic and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014The room was warm and inviting, lots of candles. We were seated and served immediately. Food diverse, delicious and fresh. Incredible mint farro risotto. We took a walk across the river and saw gorgeous view of restaurant with reflections in the water...imagine that a cool Fall evening on the terrace, accompanied by the sound of the trickling water, would be wonderful. Suggestions- silverware directly on the table feels unsanitary, and when the wine was poured, they should have showed me the bottle first. Otherwise, wonderful and prices within reason!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Class Dining in Simsbury!NanaPoppyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Millwrights is the total package: fabulous, creative cuisine using finest quality local ingredients in a most attractive venue with attentive service! Each course was superb! Stunning wine list .... variety at every price point. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Great dining experiencePatrickDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding dining experience. Great food and excellent service. We look forward to going back to enjoy another meal with our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014We tried the 7 course tasting and enjoyed each course. The waiters explained each dish when they brought it to our table. The mix of flavors was exceptional and the presentation was beautiful. Everything about each course was amazing! The waiters were exceptional and made us feel special as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- FantasticMicksterVIPDined on 9/20/2014We finally got to experience Tyler's cuisine. We know him from his time at Copper Beach in Ivoryton where he made the restaurant there once again a destination. We loved the tornados and salmon, fabulous cheese puffs there were gifted by our host, and his cornbread muffin was more flaky and a mind blow in both texture and and flavor.Special Features:
- Great dinning experienceJSK921Dined on 9/19/2014First time there for my wife and myself. The attention given by the staff was phenomenal. We did the 7 course tasting. Visually beautiful food gave the feeling that they really cared about presentation. Uniquely composed dishes (have the tapioca pearl NE clam chowder) kept each course very interesting. Not every plate was perfect (some were a little too rich for my liking), but overall, very good food. I will definitely be back and would recommend the dinning experience to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!MDSnowdropDined on 9/19/2014Once again we had the chef's tasting menu with beverage pairing and it was beyond phenomanol! Each course had an amazing mixture of flavors and texture. And then to follow with a beverage that enhanced all of that! Amazing! We look forward to our next night out at Millwright's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance!G8tMealDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful Dinner, special setting, unique flavors, outstanding service!Special Features:
- A Perfect EveningEdgarDined on 9/13/2014Millwright's just gets it right every single time. The food, the service and the overall look and feel of the restaurant is amazing.Special Features:
- A Gem in Simsbury CTCantabrigian10Dined on 9/12/2014I discovered this wonderful restaurant while visiting West Hartford, staying in Simsbury. The food is locally sourced, innovatively prepared, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. The service is excellent, hitting just the right notes. While the prices may seem high, they are appropriate for what you are getting. Millwrights deserves more attention from the locals. Really, West Hartford people, it is just over the hill in a relaxing, bucolic setting. You are lucky to be near this sophisticated, well staffed gem that is turning out top notch dishes.Special Features:
- Go to this hidden gem in Simsbury!happyeatingDined on 9/12/2014Millwright's made us feel completely at home for our 27th wedding anniversary. Our night started off very special with a surprise happy wedding anniversary card waiting for us at our table. The wait staff was incredible (I think there were a combined 5 people that waited on our table). We wanted for nothing because the wait staff anticipated all of our needs before we asked. The food was cooked to perfection and had combinations of flavors that were delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant for any special occasion or romantic night out. It was expensive, but well worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Dinner at Millwright's was a great experience. While confirming my reservation I was asked if this would be a special occasion. "It's our 25th Wedding anniversary", I replied, and she wished me well. Upon arriving and being seated we were greeted with a special card wishing us a Happy Anniversary and a enjoyable dinner. I was very impressed with the attentiveness and knowledge of the staff. Our food was wonderful and our dessert dish came on a slate plate with "Happy Anniversary" written on it in icing. I will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatTryggermDined on 9/7/2014Every time we go, the food is exquisite, the service is friendly and attentive without being intrusive, and, the atmosphere is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Its one one the restaurants we keep going back to for its great food and service. The little intricacies in the food are always a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Meal, Impeccable ServicehappyDined on 9/3/2014We had dinner at Millwrights to celebrate my girlfriends birthday. The service was way above and beyond what I expected! From the personally written welcome card on the table to the caramel handwritten “Happy Birthday” on her dessert plate, all was perfect. The hostess coordinated delivery of a surprise birthday gift I had arranged. All the staff was impeccably trained, charming and efficient. The food was second to none. Delicious, prepared and presented elegantly and a treat to enjoy. Thank you for such a special evening. Millwrights certainly sets itself apart from all others with their caring attention to every element of the experience.Special Features:
- Awesome service and awesome food!mclavaDined on 9/3/2014Went for our 26th anniversary. We told the hostess and before we knew it, all the staff knew and congratulated us. Our dessert plate was adorned with "Happy Anniversary" written out with dark chocolate syrup. The food was excellent! We sat by the window overlooking the waterfall. Overall, excellent!Special Features:
- Great restaurantCTVisitorDined on 9/2/2014Attentive service, doesn't rush you. Food is amazing - presentation, favors, delicious.Special Features:
- Millwrights gone wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Was really looking forward to this meal with all the high ratings but the six of us did not enjoy the food at all. Small portions of VERY average preparations, weak, tiny cocktails began the downward spiral. We all had different entrees so it wasn't a particular dish that disappointed . My beef tenderloin was a thin, undercooked unspectacular serving of meat on a puddle of Bernaise with small potatoes in a sweet coating I did not enjoy. My wife had sole that was small and had an herb 'mousse that did not enhance the dish. Our guests felt their salmon/lamb was just so so. The one friend who ordered chicken like the preparation but her portion was also very small. Don't know if we caught a bad night but none of us felt like we'd return.
- A memorable experienceKpw3Dined on 8/31/2014Beautifully restored historic mill, just right service, and incredible food! Our special anniversary was celebrated at Millwrights's - and Chef Tyler Anderson left a lovely note at our table. Highly recommend for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Awesome food and great servicemmmmdinnerDined on 8/30/2014This past weekend I surprised my wife with a dinner at Millwrights. The manager, Jeff, was extremely helpful in making the evening a night to remember. I had bought my wife flowers which he delivered to the table, then, at dessert, he brought her my gift on a plate with "happy anniversary" written in chocolate. The staff was excellent and the food was AMAZING. We almost got the tasting menu, but I wanted the lamb ever since I looked at the online menu (their site is amazing too), so we went with that while my wife had the cod. The cod was good too, but the lamb was...words cannot describe. Anyways, if you're planning something special, or if you just want some great food in a beautiful atmosphere—Millwrights all the way. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestoutstandingVIPDined on 8/30/2014Just about the best meal and dining experience I can recall. The food was exceptional as was the service. I can't think of anything about the evening that was not just perfect!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly excellentKnitmammaVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is our 2nd Aug. birthday dinner at Millwrights - and it far surpassed our expectations. We were seated next to the window (at my request), treated like honored guests, served utterly delicious food, and thrilled with our total dining experience. This chef can cook!! Each dish (my husband had the tasting menu) was surprisingly excellent. The choice of fresh ingredients and herbs made each bite a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in SimsburyTippyToesDined on 8/29/2014Beautiful venue - old converted mill on a river. Had an outstanding lunch last Friday. Small number oc items on the menu but everything was a winner. Service is great. Pricey but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerAcdegDined on 8/27/2014Third visit and wonderful as with our other dinnersSpecial Features:
- A TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I go to Millwright as often as possible with friends, or guests in town as a treat. Everyone remarks how special it is. The dishes are created with thoughts & care. The staff and setting are equally specialSpecial Features:
- Best food in CTCtdinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Crazy good-- creative recipes, vibrant sauces, beautiful presentation-- the sole and lamb were perfect, the chicken and dumplings light and flavorful. The desserts were very good. All three table starters were amazing-- the salmon rillette should be on every table.Special Features:
- Outstanding!JanaDined on 8/22/2014We came here for our anniversary dinner. Found a handwritten note on the table welcoming us and wishing us a happy anniversary! We had a table overlooking water and the falls. Our waitress was Marie who paid attention to every detail and explained each course. We ordered the 7 course sampler tasting and would highly recommend it. Amazing presentations and blend of delightful flavors and textures and sauces. I loved the foie GRAS 'snow', shaved frozen foie gras on top of sunflower granola. The tapioca clam chowder custard was served...Chef Tyler Anderson's recipe used on TV in the Bobby Flay challenge. When was the last time you have frozen strawberry foam as a palate cleanser? Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Inventive food, attentive serviceCarolynVIPDined on 8/17/2014Milwrights is superb. The dishes are innovative and delicious. It is quiet and romantic in the restaurant. The service is attentive and prompt. The wine list is very good and they have super specials on Sunday evening.Special Features:
- JASDDined on 8/16/2014Celebrated out anniversary and we couldn't have picked a better venue! A true night to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014The food was outstanding...from entrée to dessert. What was particularly impressive was the wait-staff...great personalities and very attentive without hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointing lunch...Out2lunchDined on 8/8/2014A tiny amount of food on a very large plate does not an entree make--even for lunch! The Fish taco "entree" was very disappointing-- small bites of too-salty cod, a small paper-thin scallion "pancake", a tablespoon of pickled cabbage, and a few ultra-thin slices of radish. It would have served as an appetizer--definitely not an entree.Special Features:
- Well worth the trip!ThanksDined on 8/3/2014I've been in the food business as a Cook, Chef, General Manager and Administrator for over 30 years. I've worked with and ate at the tables of some major talent from coast to coast, celebrities included. Never have I had this complete of a food/wine experience. I had eaten at Armani's Restaurant in Manhattan the week before and I struggle to remember the meal. This is the first review I've posted about anything, but I would be re missed if I didn't offer up my praise for the culinary talents and execution of service that I experienced this past Sunday. And half price wine to boot!?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Night Outssjspud51Dined on 8/3/2014Aside from the ambiance of the restaurant itself, Millwright's has an amazing food selection and an even better drink selection. The Tavern is a gem and it is seperated from the restaurant so there is still privacy. Whether its a special event, a date, seeing old friends, or big moments. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Wonderful food with added pizazz.SaucyRedheadDined on 8/2/2014A truly great place. However, nobody's perfect. Out of five dinners only one missed the mark with a Luke warm temperature. For the technique and quality of ingredients such as the salmon, quail and lamb it's reasonably price. The presentation is beautiful and the service very attentive. The cocktails and wine will cost you a little more than you might expect in this local but, their good. I've eaten here twice and I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Friendly staff, beautiful surroundings and view along with inventive and delicious food!Special Features:
- Food was great; service was OKnomdecenaVIPDined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent. Appetizer was green gazpacho served creatively in bowl with sliced peppers and frozen yogurt. Gazpacho was poured over at the table. Chicken also was superb. Wait staff was friendly, but only intermittently available until the end and the time between courses was long. The staff, however, did know the menu and how the food was prepared.Special Features:
- Most Excellent dinnerTrekman27Dined on 7/31/2014We had a gift card for Millwrights and decided to go there one night during the week. The food was great and the service beyond expectations. Everything was just about perfect, wine also was excellent. Can't say enough, will definitely return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The (positive) usual.MichaelDined on 7/27/2014Always inventive food and attentive service and a great atmosphere. And we were welcomed back, showing that we were recognized as somewhat "regulars." A nice touch.Special Features:
- OnlymyopinionDined on 7/27/2014Sunday brunch was very disappointing.very (very) small portions,extremely pricey ($10 for half of a warm grapefruit, tho yummy).the chicken hash was disappointingly tasteless,was only a 6 bite portion and was presented on a very small dish with no larger dish underneath.3 of us had poached eggs and all 3 were very undercooked.They do have really good bacon,sausage and seasoned potato wedges served family style and sweet breakfast breads as a starter. Hours are limited but the view,old structure,history and environment are delightful.Based on price/food we won't go back for Sunday brunch but may try the pub/dinner.Ample parking and amazingly beautiful flowers all over the restaurant, grounds and parking lot.of course the waterfall is a plus!Special Features:
- Special PlaceBenvolio36Dined on 7/23/2014The place is rather small of the the staff was very friendly and attentive. Food portions were moderate not too much not too small. I tried the Lamb it was very good. I noted in our reservation that it was our anniversary and they gave us a small card and a nice table and everyone congratulated us. A pleasant experience.Special Features: