77 West St.
Simsbury, CT 06070Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.millwrightsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (860) 651-5500
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: open at 5:30 pm,
Saturday & Sunday: open at 5:00 pm
Tavern (No Reservations, Walk-ins only):
Tuesday - Sunday: open at 5:00 pm
Friday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tyler Anderson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Millwright"s offers separate locations for private gatherings. In various arrangements, we are happy to host parties from 15 - 120 for either small corporate gatherings or kitchen demos & full restaurant buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Mussman 8606515500x103
A word from Millwright's
With its unique setting perched atop a waterfall in Simsbury, Connecticut, Millwright's invites guests to dine in the 17th century mill with acclaimed Chef Tyler Anderson and his staff. Featuring daily-chosen farm ingredients, the freshest and most select product, proprietary cocktails, and exciting wine menu, Millwright's offers a new experience to the Farmington Valley dining scene. Our staff eagerly awaits your next visit...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Millwright's - Best Restaurants in Simsbury ›
Millwright's reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)scenic view (103)special occasion (99)romantic (89)neighborhood gem (46)notable wine list (44)good for groups (33)great for outdoor dining (15)hot spot (15)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- millwrongOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2014received gift card for restaurant. Traveled 50 min to attend brunch. First thought restaurant was closed as there was little sign of the fall season outside or for that matter inside the restaurant. Tables were barren of decor-- only dishtowel type napkins. Food was very tasty, however soup starter portion did not even cover the bottom of the bowl--use smaller bowls. Entre of prime rib hash looked like leftovers from the previous evening. Family style bowl of bacon, sausage and home fries was quite adequate. Dessert was just enough in portion, but lacked imagination-- only choice of two. Had to ask for coffee and tea at meals end. Back to the gift card. The brunch left a balance on the card of $19.00 which we were going to use as a generous 20% Gratuity. Notified by server that we could not do that. Since we are not returning, the management will receive an extra $19.00 The server was shortchanged with only $15.00. We felt the restaurant had the feeling that it was closing-- Just a strange air about it. On the way home we checked out another local brunch location to make sure it wasn't us---- IT WASN'T!
- Cannot understand the popularity of this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Menu was lacking. Table setting was bare (no center piece, nothing). Tiny corn muffin individually served on oversized plates. Oysters served with no lemon or cocktail sauce, because 'that's how we serve it'. No clean separate plate provided for the oyster consumption. Entree of skate was skimpy deep fried, vegetables were charred, burnt. Entree of beef was a few cuts off a steak, not even a good quality meat. Bottled water appeared to be something mass filtered yet charged $4 each. Just fail to understand the appeal. Perhaps there are just limited choices in Simsbury.
- OutstandingMIKEYG1Dined on 11/14/2014We had an excellent first experience . The food ,drinks ,desert and service were outstanding!! The view ,interior and walk outside were outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience all around!F00dieDined on 11/8/2014The location is great, beautiful scenery. I appreciated their accommodating my request to sit by the window next to the water. The noise level in the restaurant was pretty low, makes conversation easy. I also liked that there is a good amount of space between the tables, the place doesn't feel cramped or over-crowded even when nearly full. Most importantly, the food is outstanding. We enjoyed a four course-dinner and everything was prepared very well. The duck and the venison we had were cooked perfectly, just the way we ordered. The beef tartare appetizer is a must try. Our server was excellent too, very knowledgeable and friendly. Millwright's is a perfect place for birthdays, anniversaries or any other special night out.Special Features:
- Great experiencetakinstockDined on 11/8/2014We were able to get reservations for this very nice restaurant on Open Table without any problem (for a Saturday 6:00 PM time). The food was extraordinary. The portions were a bit small, but if you are indulging with a dessert, the entrees were filling enough. I ordered the "Beef" entrée. It was cooked to perfection. The only issue I had was that there was a little too much fat left on the end of the strip steak for my liking. The overall experience was great. The wait staff was very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Very pleasant atmosphere. Food was excellent. Presentation was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner eveningtravelingeaterDined on 11/1/2014I don't know what I like better: the setting/ambiance or the food! Excellent!Special Features:
- Colleen LovelessColleenDined on 11/1/2014Nice surprise! We loved the unique mill setting with exposed wood and brownstone walls as well as the floor to ceiling glass overlooking the falls. Food and presentation were local and excellent!Special Features:
- IMPRESSIVE RESTAURANTgreatdinneroutDined on 10/31/2014We loved the Restaurant - the food, the seating, the atmosphere which was viewing a Waterfall, the service - all was excellent - and we are looking forward in going back.Special Features:
- Little disappointedSteveDined on 10/26/2014The service was outstanding as usual and the food very good, but not quite as good as we've experienced in the past. The biggest issue was the group at the large table near the kitchen as they were extremely loud oblivious to others trying to enjoy a special night out. We'll be back as we've had many fine nights there, but this was not one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pretty , very welcoming!TripletmomDined on 10/26/2014Interesting menu with inventive food and drinks in a very pretty setting overlooking a waterfall!Special Features:
- ExcellentOutofTownerDined on 10/25/2014We drove an hour to get there and was well worth it. Creative recipes and chef obviously takes pride in this restaurant. Superb!!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTablefanVIPDined on 10/24/2014Everything here- the food, the service, the atmosphere, the view -- all amazing. There are only a handful of restaurants of this quality in the area. Be sure to check this one out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Millwright's continues to dazzle!jasonctDined on 10/19/2014Millwright's, oh how I love thee! You continue to dazzle and entertain the senses and the palate! Chef Tyler Anderson, you are truly gifted and I'm ever grateful that you are able to maintain such an astonishing level of quality and consistency. It's always a pleasure to return with previous diners and new alike because I know that I will be exposing them to a perfect night out!Special Features:
- A treatJoePVIPDined on 10/18/2014A special restaurant for people who enjoy interesting food combinations but with a staff that is also willing to satisfy even the most simplest of tastes. Our server was Timothy who wss helpful and attentive without being overbearing. We have come here several times and never disappointed.Special Features:
- Finally...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/16/2014I have been dying to make it out to Millwright's and I must say, the experience did not disappoint. We had a great table overlooking the waterfall, the service was top notch, and the food was prepared and presented perfectly. It was worth the 30 minute trip to get there, and I will be back with my husband, as long as I can plan ahead for those much coveted Saturday reservation spots. Millwright's has earned a spot on my list of top restaurants!Special Features:
- Culinary FindTopcrostataVIPDined on 10/12/2014Everything you want in a New England experience. The building is stunningly rustic with modern touches including a waterfall directly outside the wall of windows. Incredible food. Tyler combines contemporary technique with a nod to the region's culinary roots. Jesse at the helm the night of our visit, was absolutely wonderful. Order anything, it's of that caliber. Our server Tim, also fantastic and spoke to Taylor another server who confirmed our reservation, is delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABSOLUTELY FABULUOUSkitkatVIPDined on 10/12/2014I have to say our experience at this restaurant was top notch and probably one of the best dinners I've ever had in my life. I dine in NYC and this tasting menu was definitely on par with anything you would find there. The service was excellent! Would come back here all the time if we lived in the area.Special Features:
- First disappointing visit!SanibelVIPDined on 10/12/2014This is our fifth trip to Millwrights. After four great dinners with excellent service, we looked forward to brunch. We had a terrible waitress. Service was slow and off-hand, portions were tiny and the food was barely warm. Of course, the fact that our Inattentive waitress brought us the wrong meals first could have had something to do with it. My husband has a nut allergy, and she told us there were no desserts suitable for him until we asked her to check and she acknowledged that he could have sorbet. (Ironically, my chocolate torte was not made with nuts). Will return for dinner and hope that this server works only brunch.Special Features:
- PicklesDined on 10/12/2014From hostess to wait staff the service was less than acceptable. Hosts took care of business with manager rather than seat us. I had a friend with me of 83 that needed to be seated and can not stand long...which she did and then approached the hostess. Other tables were seated after us and served before us. The wait staff gave us the impression that we were a bother to them rather than them working for us. We had to remind her of the breads with the starters. When food arrived it felt like it was thrown at us and not gently placed. Our 2nd glass of wine was forgotten / had to remind her. No apology was stated. We wnet for brunch and each course took forever to get there. Too slow and not pleasant.
- Great food!RuinedeffigyDined on 10/12/2014Great food - would recommend. We were celebrating a special occasion and found the ambiance to be appropriate. The staff was attentive, but towards the end we have three different people serving us, which was a little confusing. There was a particularly loud party seated near us about half-way through our meal, which kind of made it a little less romantic. In the end, the restaurant can not be faulted for rowdy patrons. Everything was great otherwise. The steak and eggs were fantastic, the bearnaise sauce was truly exceptional.Special Features:
- Charming on All FrontsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014A wonderful, local-ingredient menu complements the rustic atmosphere of this charming place between Simsbury and Avon. In particular, the duck entree and carrot appetizer really stuck out as delicious, as did the must-order tapioca custard — not sure how I can go back to eating traditional clam chowder after that incredible dish! We had 3 different servers on the night, but each was friendly, knowledgeable and took care to make sure we were comfortable and well-equipped for dinner (from new silverware to water refills, they were so attentive). Clearly one of the best places in the area to enjoy a lovely meal with family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalaasteapotsDined on 10/11/2014The best food I have ever had. The service was excellent. The food was exemplary. Their pastry chef deserves the highest of praise. The desserts were by far the best blend of flavors I have ever had. So much thought put into her work. Kudos!Special Features:
- Great bar experiencetable42Dined on 10/10/2014Had a wonderful meal here Friday night. Decided to have an after dinner drink at the, by 9:00, quiet bar. The lack of crowd after dinner offered some one on one time with the bartender. I noticed some interesting bottles I was not familiar with. He offered a great back story on several Italian liquors, poured me a glass and then offered a taste of several more. A learning experience, good time and worth the price.Special Features:
- Terrific meal and serviceJanaDined on 10/7/2014We are never disappointed at Millwright's. Personable and professional servers who describe each dish that are set before you. The food presentation is amazing. My husband had the Portugese fishermen's stew and loved it. I had the pork which was tender and tasty. We shared the plum upside down tart for dessert- yum. Ask for a seat by the window overlooking the waterfall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal exceptional serviceOpenTablefanVIPDined on 10/4/2014Would highly recommend Millwrights. The fiid is exceptional and the service is to notch. You won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting betterAllTheFoodThatsFitToEatDined on 10/4/2014When Millwrights first opened we dined there and the food was over the top good but the overall feeling was a bit stuffy. It's mellowed nicely and you'll get some of the best food found anywhere near or far.Special Features:
- A very speical eveningBobfromBranfordDined on 10/4/2014My fiance and I experienced a very special evening and a dinner to remember. So restaurants have very good ambiance but disappoint with the food. Others might have excellent food but not the right atmosphere but Millwright's got it right. From the moment we got there we felt like we were treated special. The waitstaff was well informed, helpful but not overbearing. I had the beef and she the fish. It was prepared to perfection. Cooked just right with the right amount of flavor and the perfect compliments. My fiance did say she wished there was a little potatoes or rice to go with the fish. Desert was excellent. We shared the chocolate cake. It was our first time there but we will definitely return and have already told others.Special Features:
- Great first time experienceStarWineDined on 10/4/2014We decided to try Millwrights's for our anniversary dinner. We really liked everything about it, and the food was delicious. Although the menu selections are limited, the quality in preparation and presentation exceeded our expectations. Would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/30/2014We had a great experience here. Food wonderful, service as well.Special Features:
- Romantic and DeliciouscristinaDined on 9/27/2014The room was warm and inviting, lots of candles. We were seated and served immediately. Food diverse, delicious and fresh. Incredible mint farro risotto. We took a walk across the river and saw gorgeous view of restaurant with reflections in the water...imagine that a cool Fall evening on the terrace, accompanied by the sound of the trickling water, would be wonderful. Suggestions- silverware directly on the table feels unsanitary, and when the wine was poured, they should have showed me the bottle first. Otherwise, wonderful and prices within reason!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Class Dining in Simsbury!NanaPoppyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Millwrights is the total package: fabulous, creative cuisine using finest quality local ingredients in a most attractive venue with attentive service! Each course was superb! Stunning wine list .... variety at every price point. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Great dining experiencePatrickDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding dining experience. Great food and excellent service. We look forward to going back to enjoy another meal with our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014We tried the 7 course tasting and enjoyed each course. The waiters explained each dish when they brought it to our table. The mix of flavors was exceptional and the presentation was beautiful. Everything about each course was amazing! The waiters were exceptional and made us feel special as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- FantasticMicksterVIPDined on 9/20/2014We finally got to experience Tyler's cuisine. We know him from his time at Copper Beach in Ivoryton where he made the restaurant there once again a destination. We loved the tornados and salmon, fabulous cheese puffs there were gifted by our host, and his cornbread muffin was more flaky and a mind blow in both texture and and flavor.Special Features:
- Great dinning experienceJSK921Dined on 9/19/2014First time there for my wife and myself. The attention given by the staff was phenomenal. We did the 7 course tasting. Visually beautiful food gave the feeling that they really cared about presentation. Uniquely composed dishes (have the tapioca pearl NE clam chowder) kept each course very interesting. Not every plate was perfect (some were a little too rich for my liking), but overall, very good food. I will definitely be back and would recommend the dinning experience to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!MDSnowdropDined on 9/19/2014Once again we had the chef's tasting menu with beverage pairing and it was beyond phenomanol! Each course had an amazing mixture of flavors and texture. And then to follow with a beverage that enhanced all of that! Amazing! We look forward to our next night out at Millwright's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance!G8tMealDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful Dinner, special setting, unique flavors, outstanding service!Special Features:
- A Perfect EveningEdgarDined on 9/13/2014Millwright's just gets it right every single time. The food, the service and the overall look and feel of the restaurant is amazing.Special Features:
- A Gem in Simsbury CTCantabrigian10Dined on 9/12/2014I discovered this wonderful restaurant while visiting West Hartford, staying in Simsbury. The food is locally sourced, innovatively prepared, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. The service is excellent, hitting just the right notes. While the prices may seem high, they are appropriate for what you are getting. Millwrights deserves more attention from the locals. Really, West Hartford people, it is just over the hill in a relaxing, bucolic setting. You are lucky to be near this sophisticated, well staffed gem that is turning out top notch dishes.Special Features: