101 North Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://millstavernrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4012723331
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mill's Tavern
Taverns have had a constant important presence in American life since the late 1600's. Many of them, which were attached to inns, were opened as resting places for travelers needing a place to stop, relax and fortify themselves. Of course the local residents frequented the taverns too, purchasing drinks and meals as well as participating in lively conversations. Taverns were the focal point for neighbors to come together, exchange news, talk of politics, and share in the general feeling of conviviality. Taverns were firmly established as gathering places for the light hearted socializing, serious talk, and of course, a hearty meal accompanied by a tasty libation or two. In this American tradition, we at Mill’s Tavern welcome you with genuine enthusiasm. Our staff is warm, friendly, caring, and knowledgeable. So please come, relax, visit with friends and family. You will leave refreshed and nourished, body and soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Mill's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Mill's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)fit for foodies (65)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (29)notable wine list (23)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Quality diningroundtableDined on 8/16/2014Everything was excellent from the tasty cocktails and appetizers to the outstanding desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceValentine14Dined on 8/15/2014I drove from Boston and visited for the first time. From the selection of wine to the food preparation and dessert all was great! The waiter Phil was knowledgeable about all the dishes. Braised ribs melted in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Mill's Tavern has always been one of my favorite restaurants for romantic dinners, special occasions, dinner with friends. Always excellent food, wine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the Tavern MenuCallmeIshmaelDined on 8/12/2014This place used to offer a great albeit limited three course menu for $30. We didn't always go this route, but it was a good-- and acclaimed-- option. We dined there last evening and it seems to be no longer available, or if it is, it's a secret you must ask about. It certainly was not mentioned to us. Otherwise food and service were good. Wish they'd bring back the tavern menu option.Special Features:
- excellent experience!martyandjoeDined on 8/9/2014great food , excellent service easy valet - menu is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid placetsankDined on 8/9/2014We were lucky enough to get a "day of" OpenTable reservation, especially considering that it was a Waterfire night in Providence. Great location, Super friendly staff, and very nice decor. Our waitress, I think it was Kate, was super accommodating and patient. The menu is very diverse and offers some great options. We ordered 6 littlenecks (came with 7 - one of which was an empty shell - huh?), the duck pizza - a solid app but a tad bland (nothing some fresh pepper didn't fix). For entrees we got the lobster risotto (half size - which was plenty) and the short ribs. For dessert the bread pudding. All and all, a solid place, not an A+, but a definite return is in order.Special Features:
- Another amazing mealgymgirlDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant is hands one of the best you will find in the area. And Providence is LOADED with choices. Food is exceptional and service is even better.Special Features:
- Another great dining experienceDavidDined on 8/4/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday recently at Mills Tavern with our favorite server, Lynne. This is one of the finest restaurant experiences anywhere. I cannot recommend Mills Tavern highly enough for any occasion, personal or corporate (I have been there for both). Ask to be seated at one of Lynne's tables and you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent service, food was delicious especially the tuna entree!!!! Love the $1.00 oyster happy hour at the bar. Drink specials are delicious as well. Highly recommend this restaurant. Very rustic inside more for a rainy, chilly night.Special Features:
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014truly impressed both with the food, the wine list and the service. will return again soon.Special Features:
- Food is amazing!Hungry101Dined on 7/28/2014My husband and I went to Mill's Tavern last year for our anniversary and loved it. We decided to bring our in-laws this year for their anniversary and were not disappointed. The food was amazing!! The meals are unique and delicious. Some of the best food I have ever had. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Providence's Best RestaurantBobthebuilderVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great food and service. By far the best restaurant in Providence. Steaks are the best quality anywhere. Asparagus with lemon & Parmesan is fabulous. Calamari was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not run of the millruscDined on 7/26/2014We have dined at Mill's Tavern four times now, and on each occasion, the dishes were inventive and delicious (don't miss their seasonal heirloom tomato appetizer or the shortrib) and the service is outstanding. Desserts are spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014I blindly selected Mills Tavern for our post-5k/beer fest dinner -- my husband thought a tavern wouldn't be as nice as this place turned out to be. Great food, awesome service from Kate, not rushed on courses/very well spaced out, and just a nice night. We plan to go back again when we're not so worn out! Love all the fresh ingredients that they grow onsite. And they provide comp. taxi service back to local hotels.Special Features:
- A Perfect mealIrwinpeartreeDined on 7/17/2014Our party of 6 was thoroughly satisified with our dining experience at Mills Tavern. All of the varied appetizers and entrees were prepared perfectly. I had the breast of duck; it was delicious, and prepared just as I had ordered it. Others had the halibut special, the short ribs special, and a steajk filet. They all raved at their dishes. The service was terrific-Our waitress was friendly and professional, and very helpful. It was a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a treatterryhDined on 7/15/2014the food was creative and well executed-eg-cayenne dusted fried calamari with okra. There is alot of variety on the menu although it did not seem plain enough for the table next to me (looking for lobster). Unfortunately for me the prices reflect the steps involved in making the dishes so interesting, so it remains a restaurant week treat for me. Enjoyed every bite.Special Features:
- RonaldoDined on 7/14/2014Once again, a very pleasnat experience as part of Providence Restaurant Week. Menu choices were great, food was delicious and the service was very good. Looking forward to another visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/14/2014Appears their normally excellent cuisine has slipped. Perhaps an off night. One in the party had salmon and was excellent. The others in group were not pleased either. Ambivalent servie. Sadly, won't be rushing back.
- Excellent!sekhmetgoddessDined on 7/12/2014We haven't been to Mill's Tavern in a few years, and I don't understand why! The food and drinks are amazing. If you go, you MUST get the foie gras. It's a different presentation then usual, and melts in your mouth. My wife had the lobster and saffron risotto, which she loved. I had the rack of lamb which was very tasty. For drinks, the basil gimlet was outstanding as well. We brought out of town guests with us and they were impressed. We will definately be back. Don't forget to sign up for the rewards program!Special Features:
- Delicious dining experienceWalthamRickDined on 7/12/2014We were on an overnight visit to Providence and had an early reservation so we could be back outside for WaterFire. We were greeted by a friendly host, seated promptly, and the excellent service continued through the meal. Our server Lynn was perfect - attentive, very friendly, helpful and knowledgable, and she offered some great recommendations along the way. The food was amazing - we started with oysters and shrimp, had the halibut and the salmon with the asparagus side, and finished with panna cotta; drinks, wine, port. Everything was beautifully prepared and presented and cooked perfectly - a thoroughly enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!GabbyDined on 7/11/2014Wow, what a meal I had this past weekend at Mill's Tavern. My boyfriend and I opted to go with the restaurant week menu, and it highly exceeded our expectations. One of the best meals I've ever had, and the service was top notch as well. Will certainly be visiting Mill's the next time I find myself in Providence!Special Features:
- Here for Restaurant WeekbtpocketsDined on 7/11/2014We came for restaurant week. The options looked very delicious. My date and I ordered the spring salad, the pork dish, and the cobbler. My only issue was there were onions in the pork dish which it did not say on the menu. I'll never understand why menus do not list onions as part of the dish. They'll list every other thing on the plate but onions. Obviously I am not a fan. Otherwise, everything was good. The drinks were great. I would probably go again for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Great foodNeighborhoodfanDined on 7/11/2014The basic ingredients in my meal were not all that unusual, but their preparation was colorful, flavorful and unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!loismustdieVIPDined on 7/8/2014I noticed this place was participating in Restaurant Week and had an awesome menu so I decided to come here for dinner. It was absolutely amazing. The food was tasty and the drinks were creative and delicious. If there was a negative it was that the drinks menu online wasn't the same as in the restaurant. Even still I found cocktails that were just as enticing. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Great potential - weak executionLaxmanDined on 7/4/2014They seem to be so close to being good; as we've eaten here a number of times, food quality is always great, food preparation is hit or miss as is the service. We love the location and the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of thr best!HankVIPDined on 7/2/2014The food was delicious! it has a creative slant that gave it a special edge above its competition. Our wait person, Lyn, was outstanding. Ask for her.Special Features:
- delicious and priceyoccasionaldinerDined on 6/28/2014The food is innovative American and fantastic and the service impeccable. We love that you are never made to feel rushed at all. The prices are quite high so best to know that going in.Special Features:
- fabulouslca1Dined on 6/21/2014We have never had anything but a fabulous experience when dining at Mill's. This time was even more special because we had our children with us. The chef prepared a special pasta dish for my son because the menu is a bit unique for kids. We really appreciated this. We love it here and will return again and again.Special Features:
- chickieDined on 6/17/2014We all ordered the Prix Fix. 3 out of the group ordered the Ox tail which had a lot of sliced garlic. A little much for some people. The swordfish was great. All the appetizers were wonderful. The deserts were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpiritoDined on 6/14/2014Food and Service were both excellent. Thought it was a little pricey but would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatsSkipDined on 6/11/2014Ordered from the reasonably priced prix fixe menu (chicken and pappardelle) and very pleased with our early dinner. Found the wine list to be ambitious (expensive) and limited ourselves to a single glass. Regular menu rather ambitious as well but thought the prix fixe menu comfortably priced and the servings an excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaiterMillsDined on 6/7/2014Was really taken advantage of by the waiter...He pushed the special of Tomahawk Steak never telling us that the steak was $109. Ridiculous. Told us he brings a couple home to throw on the grill all time. Very misleading. If you are offering a special like that you should disclose the patron the the price. Some of his comments were rude....it was my birthday...."left a bad taste in our mouth" too bad. The waiter should be trained to make sure the price is disclosed it's not normal to have a steak that cost $109.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencelindabDined on 6/6/2014I took my daughter and two friend last week and we had a great. Nice cocktail and wine list. Loved the Valley of the Moon Pinot Blanc.My daughter had the cocktail with celery juice and gin and it was amazing. Oysters terrific, we had the calamari app and we all loved the addition of the artichokes. We split twp entrees, the halibut and the gnocchi. The broth and the spring peas were phenomenal for the halibut, the gnocchi was light and flavorful. Just a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Providence OptionKBDKVIPDined on 6/6/2014Skip typical and go with a unique alternative where Mills Tavern offers food creations and variety you can't find on Atwells AveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal we've had in ages!LollipopDined on 5/17/2014This was our first visit to Mill's Tavern and we loved it! Everything was excellent. Our server was very knowledgeable and friendly. The main course was delayed due to some larger parties in the restaurant. But this did not detract from the experience. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014never a bad meal...waitstaff so professional, they make great recommendations if you are having a hard time ordering or if you are not sure about which wine. The Lamb...perfect...and I love they change their menu each season !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DelightDragonflyDined on 5/11/2014We had a lovely luncheon at Mill's Tavern on Mother's Day. The food was presented quite nicely and tasted delicious.Special Features:
- JPAULDined on 5/11/2014Excellent food & Service The waiter was very infomative & nothing was rushed the main course was done to perfection which many resturants cannot acheive the table was perfect & very quiet Would recommend Mills Tavern to all my Freinds & familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first choice for diningLynneDined on 5/10/2014Mills tavern is never a disappointment. We've been there as a small group of 8 and also as a couple and the service and food have been excellent every time. Beverage and menu choices are exceptional and we ordered a variety of food from lamb to steaks to fish. A lively scene on a Saturday night but our first choice for dining and we travel the 40 minute drive from Newport for many special occasions.Special Features:
- Farewell DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014We had a private farewell dinner for a long time partner leaving for a new position. We had the small private dining room for 8 people. Service was excellent, allowing us plenty of time to socialize both before and after the meal and linger over after dinner drinks. Our waitress was very attentive and unobtrusive as well.Food was excellent as always, especially the Filet mignon, the duck and the HAlibut. We have use this venue for small business dinners before. It has always been excellent and this nuite was no exception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.