101 North Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://millstavernrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4012723331
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mill's Tavern
Taverns have had a constant important presence in American life since the late 1600's. Many of them, which were attached to inns, were opened as resting places for travelers needing a place to stop, relax and fortify themselves. Of course the local residents frequented the taverns too, purchasing drinks and meals as well as participating in lively conversations. Taverns were the focal point for neighbors to come together, exchange news, talk of politics, and share in the general feeling of conviviality. Taverns were firmly established as gathering places for the light hearted socializing, serious talk, and of course, a hearty meal accompanied by a tasty libation or two. In this American tradition, we at Mill’s Tavern welcome you with genuine enthusiasm. Our staff is warm, friendly, caring, and knowledgeable. So please come, relax, visit with friends and family. You will leave refreshed and nourished, body and soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Mill's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Mill's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (80)fit for foodies (68)romantic (49)neighborhood gem (34)notable wine list (28)good for groups (27)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Outstanding and AttentiveLV410VIPDined on 9/13/2014I can't say whether the staff was more accommodating due to my indicating this was a special occasion, but I do know they met all expectations. Window seat, pace of service, unexpected little 'extras' all made for a perfect meal. Jason was superb. We split a half order of the lobster risotto which was both delicious and just right in amount given the very generous entree portions. My (double) soy brined pork chops were cooked to perfection (yes, medium/pink, not dry). My date's lime brined chicken with wild rice, too, was superb. We simply finished it off with coffee, satisfied and sated. We'll be back.Special Features:
- We'll be back for the Fall Menu!JulieParmDined on 9/13/2014Everything was great. We sat by the window, as requested. Our server, Jason, was great, taking our queue to make recommendations. We were sharing among four of us so he made good recommendations across the board and by the time it came dessert, had already rightly assumed what we would like. The flights of wine, both the Mediterranean Reds and Whites, were perfect with the appetizers and meal. One minor recommendation - the stools at the bar are heavy and hard to move causing disruption any time anyone wanted to get in or out. Simply putting felt bottoms or plastic sliders on the feet would be an improvement for both those trying to move the stools and those near the bar who are trying to enjoy their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The wine has a high markup price. You can get a bottle for what you pay for a glass. I had Ahi tuna. I asked that it be pink and it came out raw and cold after waiting a very long time for the meal. I would categorize the meal as good but nothing was extraordinary except the prices.
- Missed a bitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014We have been to Mill's TAvern may times. This night the service was a bit off. Waiter seemed rushed and not on point. Food was good but wasn't cooked to the temperature we requested.Special Features:
- Great menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The menu is seasonally changed so you'll always have something new to try and its always cooked to perfectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New BartenderOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/5/2014The bartender told us it was his first night. He forgot a few things. Other times, we've had better service. Hope he adjusts soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evenings are made heregourm8Dined on 8/30/2014Our first time here at the Tavern, but definitely not our last. The food was a treat to eat, simply scrumptious! The portions were just right, the food cooked to perfection and the dessert menu was a sweet tooth heaven. Definitely a place for a great night out with friends, or with a loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KheYoDined on 8/29/2014The service was good, but the place was a bit noisy. I also wasn't impressed about the food. I ordered the lamb shank which came with mashed potato. Both were a bit citrusy for my taste. We tried Mill's Tavern based on recommendations but I do not it there will be a repeat visit.Special Features:
- Our second time here was better.MarksreviewDined on 8/23/2014This was our second time here on our our Wedding anniversary. I booked though open table this time around and specified a window seat seeing it was number eighteen. We arrived fifteen minutes early to catch a drink when they mention your table is ready and right next to the window. Our waiter Jason was there shorty after mentioning happy 18 th wedding anniversary. We had a great time and the dinner was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!ElizabethDined on 8/23/2014We had a special occasion and went to Mills Tavern to celebrate. We sat on the main isle, against a post. Not very romantic and very noisy, however, the food and waiter more than made up for the lack of intimacy. Exceptional service and great meals!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!IBChowinVIPDined on 8/23/2014I didn't know anything about Mill's Tavern until I checked it out on Open Table. It looked good so I made the reservation. I was expecting good and got outstanding! Free valet parking made it easy (but I tip the valets anyway) We were greeted and seated right away. Nice older building, great ambience. The service was very good, drinks were excellent. We were never rushed, the menu had so many great offerings it was hard to choose. My wife had the tuna, said it was the best she ever had. I had the short rib and it was the best I ever had. Bottles of wine seemed a little pricey but they offer flights of wine that were very good with a reasonale price and flights make it fun! It's not cheap here but worth every cent. I'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, even better waiterksniderVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were visiting from NYC and had a great pre-Waterfire meal on Saturday night. Our waiter, Phil, was amazing- very friendly and very knowledgeable. We all agreed that the calamari and halibut were two of the best seafood dishes we had ever had. The raw bar selection was great. The only downside: Unfortunately, my mother in law's meal came out room temp after a fairly long wait (timing may have been tough on a busy Waterfire night) and the cheeses on the cheese platter were not all that interesting. That said, we had a great meal in a fantastic location. I have already recommended the restaurant to family in the area.Special Features:
- ExcellentmamaQDined on 8/21/2014The short ribs were amazing!!! Honestly, possibly the best I've had. Also enjoyed our server…pleasant, knowledgable and lots of energy…Look forward to visiting again next time we're in Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Awesome restaurant!! It was my first time there and I will surely be going back.Special Features:
- Quality diningroundtableDined on 8/16/2014Everything was excellent from the tasty cocktails and appetizers to the outstanding desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceValentine14Dined on 8/15/2014I drove from Boston and visited for the first time. From the selection of wine to the food preparation and dessert all was great! The waiter Phil was knowledgeable about all the dishes. Braised ribs melted in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Mill's Tavern has always been one of my favorite restaurants for romantic dinners, special occasions, dinner with friends. Always excellent food, wine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the Tavern MenuCallmeIshmaelDined on 8/12/2014This place used to offer a great albeit limited three course menu for $30. We didn't always go this route, but it was a good-- and acclaimed-- option. We dined there last evening and it seems to be no longer available, or if it is, it's a secret you must ask about. It certainly was not mentioned to us. Otherwise food and service were good. Wish they'd bring back the tavern menu option.Special Features:
- excellent experience!martyandjoeDined on 8/9/2014great food , excellent service easy valet - menu is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid placetsankDined on 8/9/2014We were lucky enough to get a "day of" OpenTable reservation, especially considering that it was a Waterfire night in Providence. Great location, Super friendly staff, and very nice decor. Our waitress, I think it was Kate, was super accommodating and patient. The menu is very diverse and offers some great options. We ordered 6 littlenecks (came with 7 - one of which was an empty shell - huh?), the duck pizza - a solid app but a tad bland (nothing some fresh pepper didn't fix). For entrees we got the lobster risotto (half size - which was plenty) and the short ribs. For dessert the bread pudding. All and all, a solid place, not an A+, but a definite return is in order.Special Features:
- Another amazing mealgymgirlDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant is hands one of the best you will find in the area. And Providence is LOADED with choices. Food is exceptional and service is even better.Special Features:
- Another great dining experienceDavidDined on 8/4/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday recently at Mills Tavern with our favorite server, Lynne. This is one of the finest restaurant experiences anywhere. I cannot recommend Mills Tavern highly enough for any occasion, personal or corporate (I have been there for both). Ask to be seated at one of Lynne's tables and you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014Excellent service, food was delicious especially the tuna entree!!!! Love the $1.00 oyster happy hour at the bar. Drink specials are delicious as well. Highly recommend this restaurant. Very rustic inside more for a rainy, chilly night.Special Features:
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014truly impressed both with the food, the wine list and the service. will return again soon.Special Features:
- Food is amazing!Hungry101Dined on 7/28/2014My husband and I went to Mill's Tavern last year for our anniversary and loved it. We decided to bring our in-laws this year for their anniversary and were not disappointed. The food was amazing!! The meals are unique and delicious. Some of the best food I have ever had. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Providence's Best RestaurantBobthebuilderVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great food and service. By far the best restaurant in Providence. Steaks are the best quality anywhere. Asparagus with lemon & Parmesan is fabulous. Calamari was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not run of the millruscDined on 7/26/2014We have dined at Mill's Tavern four times now, and on each occasion, the dishes were inventive and delicious (don't miss their seasonal heirloom tomato appetizer or the shortrib) and the service is outstanding. Desserts are spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014I blindly selected Mills Tavern for our post-5k/beer fest dinner -- my husband thought a tavern wouldn't be as nice as this place turned out to be. Great food, awesome service from Kate, not rushed on courses/very well spaced out, and just a nice night. We plan to go back again when we're not so worn out! Love all the fresh ingredients that they grow onsite. And they provide comp. taxi service back to local hotels.Special Features:
- A Perfect mealIrwinpeartreeDined on 7/17/2014Our party of 6 was thoroughly satisified with our dining experience at Mills Tavern. All of the varied appetizers and entrees were prepared perfectly. I had the breast of duck; it was delicious, and prepared just as I had ordered it. Others had the halibut special, the short ribs special, and a steajk filet. They all raved at their dishes. The service was terrific-Our waitress was friendly and professional, and very helpful. It was a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a treatterryhDined on 7/15/2014the food was creative and well executed-eg-cayenne dusted fried calamari with okra. There is alot of variety on the menu although it did not seem plain enough for the table next to me (looking for lobster). Unfortunately for me the prices reflect the steps involved in making the dishes so interesting, so it remains a restaurant week treat for me. Enjoyed every bite.Special Features:
- RonaldoDined on 7/14/2014Once again, a very pleasnat experience as part of Providence Restaurant Week. Menu choices were great, food was delicious and the service was very good. Looking forward to another visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/14/2014Appears their normally excellent cuisine has slipped. Perhaps an off night. One in the party had salmon and was excellent. The others in group were not pleased either. Ambivalent servie. Sadly, won't be rushing back.
- Excellent!sekhmetgoddessDined on 7/12/2014We haven't been to Mill's Tavern in a few years, and I don't understand why! The food and drinks are amazing. If you go, you MUST get the foie gras. It's a different presentation then usual, and melts in your mouth. My wife had the lobster and saffron risotto, which she loved. I had the rack of lamb which was very tasty. For drinks, the basil gimlet was outstanding as well. We brought out of town guests with us and they were impressed. We will definately be back. Don't forget to sign up for the rewards program!Special Features:
- Delicious dining experienceWalthamRickDined on 7/12/2014We were on an overnight visit to Providence and had an early reservation so we could be back outside for WaterFire. We were greeted by a friendly host, seated promptly, and the excellent service continued through the meal. Our server Lynn was perfect - attentive, very friendly, helpful and knowledgable, and she offered some great recommendations along the way. The food was amazing - we started with oysters and shrimp, had the halibut and the salmon with the asparagus side, and finished with panna cotta; drinks, wine, port. Everything was beautifully prepared and presented and cooked perfectly - a thoroughly enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!GabbyDined on 7/11/2014Wow, what a meal I had this past weekend at Mill's Tavern. My boyfriend and I opted to go with the restaurant week menu, and it highly exceeded our expectations. One of the best meals I've ever had, and the service was top notch as well. Will certainly be visiting Mill's the next time I find myself in Providence!Special Features:
- Here for Restaurant WeekbtpocketsDined on 7/11/2014We came for restaurant week. The options looked very delicious. My date and I ordered the spring salad, the pork dish, and the cobbler. My only issue was there were onions in the pork dish which it did not say on the menu. I'll never understand why menus do not list onions as part of the dish. They'll list every other thing on the plate but onions. Obviously I am not a fan. Otherwise, everything was good. The drinks were great. I would probably go again for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Great foodNeighborhoodfanDined on 7/11/2014The basic ingredients in my meal were not all that unusual, but their preparation was colorful, flavorful and unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!loismustdieVIPDined on 7/8/2014I noticed this place was participating in Restaurant Week and had an awesome menu so I decided to come here for dinner. It was absolutely amazing. The food was tasty and the drinks were creative and delicious. If there was a negative it was that the drinks menu online wasn't the same as in the restaurant. Even still I found cocktails that were just as enticing. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Great potential - weak executionLaxmanDined on 7/4/2014They seem to be so close to being good; as we've eaten here a number of times, food quality is always great, food preparation is hit or miss as is the service. We love the location and the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of thr best!HankVIPDined on 7/2/2014The food was delicious! it has a creative slant that gave it a special edge above its competition. Our wait person, Lyn, was outstanding. Ask for her.Special Features: