101 North Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://millstavernrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (401) 272-3331
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mill's Tavern
Taverns have had a constant important presence in American life since the late 1600's. Many of them, which were attached to inns, were opened as resting places for travelers needing a place to stop, relax and fortify themselves. Of course the local residents frequented the taverns too, purchasing drinks and meals as well as participating in lively conversations. Taverns were the focal point for neighbors to come together, exchange news, talk of politics, and share in the general feeling of conviviality. Taverns were firmly established as gathering places for the light hearted socializing, serious talk, and of course, a hearty meal accompanied by a tasty libation or two. In this American tradition, we at Mill’s Tavern welcome you with genuine enthusiasm. Our staff is warm, friendly, caring, and knowledgeable. So please come, relax, visit with friends and family. You will leave refreshed and nourished, body and soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Mill's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Mill's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)special occasion (91)romantic (57)notable wine list (55)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (34)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- PhenomenolOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014This visit was for an anniversary celebration. It was probably one of the best meals we have ever had, and I personally feel this is the best restaurant in Providence. The staff is really at the top of their game and should be gratified to know that they are doing a fantastic job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LONG Service Times, Wrong Temp FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/24/2014We went here for a business dinner and had high expectations based off of previous experiences. What we received was huge lags between each part of the meal, half of our meats cooked to the wrong temperature (and not by a picky small amount, but by completely different temperatures: rare when well was requested, well when rare was requested). The to go dessert was barely more than a bite and rather embarrassing - considering it cost $9. I wrote an email to the restaurant to provide this feedback and never heard back. Overall, this was an extremely disappointing experience and I may not return.
- PrincetonianFoodieDined on 11/15/2014Wonderful evening in Providence. The food was excellent ---- seasonal, cooked to perfection. Ambiance was nice, young, energetic....clearly a destination restaurant and for good reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has ups and downs.CurlsrawkDined on 11/15/2014The overall place was classy and nice. The service was really good. The food was just ok. The grilled sirloin steak was not a good cut of beef. It was loaded with nerves and very tough. For the price it should have been much much better then that. The swordfish was good but wasn't into the smoked grill taste. The drinks were very watered down. The waitress was very great! Right on top of everything! We would never eat here again due to the lack go quality in the food.
- Jen88Dined on 11/15/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at Mill's Tavern on Saturday night. The veal porterhouse and the duck confit were absolutely delicious. It was a pleasure to have Jason as our server. He recommended a perfect bottle of wine to complement our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagGusDined on 11/15/2014great atmosphere, a little noisy. 3 out of 4 enjoyed their entrees, mine was cold, definitely undercooked. Drinks and appetizers were good. Service was great-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014One of the best restaurants in Providence. Superb food and service. A bit pricy but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh for the money...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014I have come here many times and enjoyed it, but this last visit (11/8/14) was terrible. Getting attention from the waitress was an exercise in frustration. We could not even get menus.... It seemed she was preiccupied with another party at the big rpund table, and we were anafterthought.The food was just okay. I had the Branzino (fish) and it came to the table thin and dried out. The cylindrical cobb salad and Caesar salad were tasty but sparse. My friends say the meat was well prepared.We were seated at 7:30 and did not receive entrees until 10:20. We would have enjoyed dessert but skipped it because we did not want to wait another two hours.Special Features:
- lindaDined on 11/8/2014Everyone loved their meal and the service was very informative. They have a creative menu and feature wine flights that were great.Special Features:
- Great!!Foodie27Dined on 11/3/2014Every time I come here it's always great. This time around didn't disappoint. Will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceEclecticDinerDined on 11/2/2014We had an outstanding dinner at Mill's Tavern. We had requested special seating (tucked out of the way due to a hearing impairment of one of our diners) and the restaurant called to confirm that our request could be met and did a nice job seating us where everyone in our party could hear and participate in the dinner conversation. The food was great and the excellent service was memorable - attentive and highly professional without lurking.Special Features:
- Simply Amazing!MikeDined on 10/27/2014Every time we come to Mill's we always have an incredible meal. This time was even greater than the last. Exceptionally accomodating, superior service, fantastic wine, and our menu choices were perfect. Next time we will know not to share the foie gras. Not because it was small, but because it was so delicious we both wanted more for ourselves. My short rib was the best I've ever had, and her duck couldn't have been cooked better. It's obvious to us why we keep coming back to Mill's in a city that is so full of great food. This place goes above and beyond. PS - Save room for the bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LCDinerDined on 10/25/2014the restaurant was recommended by a friend who is familiar with Providence. We first went to Waterfire and then to Mills Tavern where we had a drink at the bar before our table was ready and then were seated right on time. Waitress and overall service was very attentive and knowledgeable and all recommendations were great. Honestly would say that this was definitely one of the best dinners we have had in a while along with a perfect table in a quieter area. Overall great menu and food quality top shelf....also very good wine list at reasonable prices. Valet parking a plus as well. I give Mills Tavern a must try to anyone that is going to be visiting Providence.Special Features:
- Dining in ProvidenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Mill's Tavern does not disappoint for food or service; I have never been disappointed. It is a bit on the pricey side when compared to other restaurants in Providence, but you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/24/2014Lynn, our server, was terrific. Food was great, energetic crowd this night. Another great night at Mills for another special occasion!!Special Features:
- Wonderful!HappyStomachDined on 10/24/2014We picked Mill's Tavern for my son's birthday dinner and I'm happy we did. We went on a Friday night and the place was packed. The service was exceptional, though. I was worried that it could be slow after reading some reviews, but the waiter kept a close eye on our table without making us feel rushed and without making us wait more than a minute or two for service. About the menu. You will find dishes on this menu that are creative and well thought out. I love that! My son had the duck breast, I had the Black Angus short ribs and my wife had the butternut squash spaghetti. For desert it was creme brûlée, Portugese bread pudding, and Vahlrono chocolate cake which is baked when you place the order! I plan to go back as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super serviceHealthyFoodLuvrDined on 10/23/2014It was our anniversary. So a special night for us. Our server, Kyle, was absolutely awesome. Very pleasant and polite. Very knowledgeable of menu and made good suggestions. Was at our table the appropriate amount of times, not constantly, but enough to make sure we were taken care ofSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ChoiceA1Chef125Dined on 10/22/2014I lived in Providence 5 years ago when I returned Mills Tavern was my first choice food/atmosphere was excellent as alwaysSpecial Features:
- roundtableDined on 10/19/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants. We use it for special occasions and have always been happy with the choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, a great date spottimbDined on 10/18/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday. The food was excellent. The wine was excellent. The desert was excellent. It's expensive, but totally worth it. Our waitress was friendly and helpful. Great job, everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Meal was fair. Entre was braised black angus and it was quite fatty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winkyDined on 10/16/2014Food is always great here-and it was again-the service is normally great but it was a a bit lacking this last time. We seemed to be the forgotten table-all night long.Special Features:
- Unmanaged ExpectationsPVSBVIPDined on 10/15/2014Our second visit to Mill's Tavern. On the positive side, the food at Mill's Tavern is delicious. We have no problem whatsoever with the quality coming out of the kitchen. This time, the problem lay squarely on the service. The evening we showed up for dinner, there were at least 3 other large groups (10+) people dining in the restaurant. From the minute we ordered dinner until our entrees arrived at the table, it was 55 minutes. Dessert took another hour to arrive. OK, I understand that the kitchen was slammed on a Wednesday night but after taking our order, the waiter did everything he could to completely ignore/avoid us for the evening instead of speaking to us and managing expectations.Special Features:
- Just gets better with ageMaitremaxDined on 10/14/2014Have not been here in a long time. Food and service was even better than I remembered. A really special RI gemSpecial Features:
- Coming back for dessertsvisitingscholarDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I dined here on a Saturday night. The ambiance is nice, with a noise level that never reached more than a moderate level; we never had any difficulties conversing in a normal, low tone. Our waiter was great and was happy to talk about the menu, wine list etc. The food - scallops and salmon from the "autumn menu" - was terrific; the spaetzle accompanying the salmon was perhaps a bit bland. The only real downside to the evening was that we were to full to try the (very inviting!) dessert menu. We had skipped apps, several of which I would like to try, to hopefully have room for dessert. Needless to say, we're coming back to try some more entrees and give that dessert menu a good. All in all, a really nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, mediocre food.HappilyWellFedVIPDined on 10/11/2014Over the years we've had variable food. This last time the food was very mediocre.
- outstanding foodDontgetoutmuchDined on 10/11/2014There is an award in the window of this restaurant stating it was the "best restaurant in the world." Well, maybe yes or maybe no but it is one of the very best I have ever enjoyed. The friendly, knowledgeable staff, the generous portions, the lovely presentation, all of it,, we all enjoyed ourselves immensely. Very very nice place to eat!Special Features:
- Simply great stuffAchooDined on 10/6/2014Great service and great food makes for an outstanding experience. Very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must eat here!russandsarahDined on 10/5/2014My girlfriend and I visited Mill's Tavern for the first time to celebrate her birthday. We loved every course of our meal: the drinks were excellent; the appetizer -- beef brisket risotto -- was like nothing we'd had before, in the most amazing way; the main courses were perfectly portioned and incredibly well-prepared. We will absolutely be back! If you haven't been before, please, treat yourself. Go to Mill's Tavern. If you want to show your taste buds that you love them, order the duck.Special Features:
- I bet chef frustratedRickDined on 10/4/2014The food is really great there. So the underwhelming service is just a shame. It just doesn't have the level of service that the menu is at. Noisy like a Friday's, open kitchen so not a couples spot. But aside from that I take they are way understaffed. Slow food, slow taking away dishes, very hurried frZled staff. At least it seemed that way.Special Features:
- MILLS TAVERN IS A MUSTJulesDined on 10/3/2014We had an outstanding evening at Mills. I ate off the "regular" menu and my husband chose the prix fixe. Both were outstanding. We had rack of lamb and a gorgeous brined pork dish with wonderful pumpkin and spinach side dish. Everything was delicious and cooked to perfection. The wines were delicious and so reasonably priced. Our server, James, really made the evening b/c he was informative and friendly, but not in any way pushy or disdainful (like some waiters who look down on less sophisticated customers). He was great, great, great. Everything about this place is wonderful - fabulous bread and desserts. I cannot speak too highly of this restaurant.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in ProvidenceNew2ProvVIPDined on 10/1/2014Mill's Tavern is consistently outstanding. The wait staff are professional, personable and have an excellent working knowledge of the menu and wine list. The menu is varied with many choices from game, beef, fish or vegetarian but not too many choices to be overwhelming. Interesting cocktails and exceptional deserts round out the experience. I have been to Mill's Tavern many times and one meal has been better than the next. Compared to other "top restaurants" in the area, Mill's Tavern is head and shoulders above the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014My boyfriend and I had a great time at Mills Tavern. The only complaint is that we wished we had been attended to more. The waiter seemed a little rushed and it was hard to get more than 2 rounds of drinks. If he had been more attentive the bill would have been higherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday visit from out ofstateluv2eatDined on 9/27/2014The place was busy when we arrived. Our table was view was not the pick of the tables but instead the least desired our view was a post wall. But the food and svc made up for the poor seating. A bit pricey but on a special occasion its worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A re-discovered gem!MorningstarDined on 9/26/2014We had not had occasion to eat at Mills Tavern for a few years, but a gift certificate brought us back with another couple. We thought we would try it before we headed to a 7:30 theater performance. THe price fixe menu transfixed us...it offered three wonderful choices in 3 categories for $29.95. We all leapt in...and were delighted with all of our choices: pork risotto, salads, calimari, roasted pork with faro, three sorbets or heavenly warm chocolate cake. Dinner was absolutely delicious, our waitress, Marisa, was a doll, and at that price, we will definitely return...highly recommended!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerGGeeDined on 9/25/2014Our experience was good not great. We have been previously and enjoyed the food and service much more on our other visits. It wasn't a bad time, but the overall result was below our expectations. Recommend: Lump crap app.Special Features:
- Mill's Tavern for DinnerKBDKVIPDined on 9/20/2014Mill's Tavern in Providence is a class act and worth the trip...Special Features:
- Was hoping for betterProvRIVIPDined on 9/20/2014Having been to Mills a half dozen times in the past year, we had grown accustomed to great food and extraordinary service. The service remainded awesome but the food was disappointing during our last visit given the price point of Mills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters to die for!Opentable23VIPDined on 9/15/2014But everything on the menu is excellent. Have eaten here 4 times and love returning. Warm, comfortable attractive restaurant near downtown Providence. Dependable food and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for a special occasionalmjppDined on 9/15/2014Service and food were amazing. Started with the cheese plate which had four offerings: a bleu, a Spanish, a goat's milk, and a local cheese. All were very good, especially with their paired condiments. The ginger honey comb was particularly delicious. We both had entrees from the wood grill; my wife had the filet mignon with lobster salad, and I had the swordfish. Both were perfectly cooked and sized. We shared a side of mashed sweet potatoes and carrots, also very tasty. For dessert we sampled the chocolate cake which was a homemade lava cake style dessert, and the three flavors of sorbet. The cake and the coconut sorbet were particularly noteworthy. Service was extremely polite and friendly. The entire experience was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.