101 North Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://millstavernrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4012723331
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mill's Tavern
Taverns have had a constant important presence in American life since the late 1600's. Many of them, which were attached to inns, were opened as resting places for travelers needing a place to stop, relax and fortify themselves. Of course the local residents frequented the taverns too, purchasing drinks and meals as well as participating in lively conversations. Taverns were the focal point for neighbors to come together, exchange news, talk of politics, and share in the general feeling of conviviality. Taverns were firmly established as gathering places for the light hearted socializing, serious talk, and of course, a hearty meal accompanied by a tasty libation or two. In this American tradition, we at Mill’s Tavern welcome you with genuine enthusiasm. Our staff is warm, friendly, caring, and knowledgeable. So please come, relax, visit with friends and family. You will leave refreshed and nourished, body and soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Mill's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Mill's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)special occasion (92)romantic (56)neighborhood gem (41)notable wine list (40)good for groups (34)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- roundtableDined on 10/19/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants. We use it for special occasions and have always been happy with the choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, a great date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday. The food was excellent. The wine was excellent. The desert was excellent. It's expensive, but totally worth it. Our waitress was friendly and helpful. Great job, everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Meal was fair. Entre was braised black angus and it was quite fatty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winkyDined on 10/16/2014Food is always great here-and it was again-the service is normally great but it was a a bit lacking this last time. We seemed to be the forgotten table-all night long.Special Features:
- Unmanaged ExpectationsPVSBVIPDined on 10/15/2014Our second visit to Mill's Tavern. On the positive side, the food at Mill's Tavern is delicious. We have no problem whatsoever with the quality coming out of the kitchen. This time, the problem lay squarely on the service. The evening we showed up for dinner, there were at least 3 other large groups (10+) people dining in the restaurant. From the minute we ordered dinner until our entrees arrived at the table, it was 55 minutes. Dessert took another hour to arrive. OK, I understand that the kitchen was slammed on a Wednesday night but after taking our order, the waiter did everything he could to completely ignore/avoid us for the evening instead of speaking to us and managing expectations.Special Features:
- Just gets better with ageMaitremaxDined on 10/14/2014Have not been here in a long time. Food and service was even better than I remembered. A really special RI gemSpecial Features:
- Coming back for dessertsvisitingscholarDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I dined here on a Saturday night. The ambiance is nice, with a noise level that never reached more than a moderate level; we never had any difficulties conversing in a normal, low tone. Our waiter was great and was happy to talk about the menu, wine list etc. The food - scallops and salmon from the "autumn menu" - was terrific; the spaetzle accompanying the salmon was perhaps a bit bland. The only real downside to the evening was that we were to full to try the (very inviting!) dessert menu. We had skipped apps, several of which I would like to try, to hopefully have room for dessert. Needless to say, we're coming back to try some more entrees and give that dessert menu a good. All in all, a really nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, mediocre food.HappilyWellFedVIPDined on 10/11/2014Over the years we've had variable food. This last time the food was very mediocre.
- outstanding foodDontgetoutmuchDined on 10/11/2014There is an award in the window of this restaurant stating it was the "best restaurant in the world." Well, maybe yes or maybe no but it is one of the very best I have ever enjoyed. The friendly, knowledgeable staff, the generous portions, the lovely presentation, all of it,, we all enjoyed ourselves immensely. Very very nice place to eat!Special Features:
- Simply great stuffAchooDined on 10/6/2014Great service and great food makes for an outstanding experience. Very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must eat here!russandsarahDined on 10/5/2014My girlfriend and I visited Mill's Tavern for the first time to celebrate her birthday. We loved every course of our meal: the drinks were excellent; the appetizer -- beef brisket risotto -- was like nothing we'd had before, in the most amazing way; the main courses were perfectly portioned and incredibly well-prepared. We will absolutely be back! If you haven't been before, please, treat yourself. Go to Mill's Tavern. If you want to show your taste buds that you love them, order the duck.Special Features:
- I bet chef frustratedRickDined on 10/4/2014The food is really great there. So the underwhelming service is just a shame. It just doesn't have the level of service that the menu is at. Noisy like a Friday's, open kitchen so not a couples spot. But aside from that I take they are way understaffed. Slow food, slow taking away dishes, very hurried frZled staff. At least it seemed that way.Special Features:
- MILLS TAVERN IS A MUSTJulesDined on 10/3/2014We had an outstanding evening at Mills. I ate off the "regular" menu and my husband chose the prix fixe. Both were outstanding. We had rack of lamb and a gorgeous brined pork dish with wonderful pumpkin and spinach side dish. Everything was delicious and cooked to perfection. The wines were delicious and so reasonably priced. Our server, James, really made the evening b/c he was informative and friendly, but not in any way pushy or disdainful (like some waiters who look down on less sophisticated customers). He was great, great, great. Everything about this place is wonderful - fabulous bread and desserts. I cannot speak too highly of this restaurant.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in ProvidenceNew2ProvVIPDined on 10/1/2014Mill's Tavern is consistently outstanding. The wait staff are professional, personable and have an excellent working knowledge of the menu and wine list. The menu is varied with many choices from game, beef, fish or vegetarian but not too many choices to be overwhelming. Interesting cocktails and exceptional deserts round out the experience. I have been to Mill's Tavern many times and one meal has been better than the next. Compared to other "top restaurants" in the area, Mill's Tavern is head and shoulders above the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014My boyfriend and I had a great time at Mills Tavern. The only complaint is that we wished we had been attended to more. The waiter seemed a little rushed and it was hard to get more than 2 rounds of drinks. If he had been more attentive the bill would have been higherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday visit from out ofstateluv2eatDined on 9/27/2014The place was busy when we arrived. Our table was view was not the pick of the tables but instead the least desired our view was a post wall. But the food and svc made up for the poor seating. A bit pricey but on a special occasion its worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A re-discovered gem!MorningstarDined on 9/26/2014We had not had occasion to eat at Mills Tavern for a few years, but a gift certificate brought us back with another couple. We thought we would try it before we headed to a 7:30 theater performance. THe price fixe menu transfixed us...it offered three wonderful choices in 3 categories for $29.95. We all leapt in...and were delighted with all of our choices: pork risotto, salads, calimari, roasted pork with faro, three sorbets or heavenly warm chocolate cake. Dinner was absolutely delicious, our waitress, Marisa, was a doll, and at that price, we will definitely return...highly recommended!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerGGeeDined on 9/25/2014Our experience was good not great. We have been previously and enjoyed the food and service much more on our other visits. It wasn't a bad time, but the overall result was below our expectations. Recommend: Lump crap app.Special Features:
- Mill's Tavern for DinnerKBDKVIPDined on 9/20/2014Mill's Tavern in Providence is a class act and worth the trip...Special Features:
- Was hoping for betterProvRIVIPDined on 9/20/2014Having been to Mills a half dozen times in the past year, we had grown accustomed to great food and extraordinary service. The service remainded awesome but the food was disappointing during our last visit given the price point of Mills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters to die for!Opentable23VIPDined on 9/15/2014But everything on the menu is excellent. Have eaten here 4 times and love returning. Warm, comfortable attractive restaurant near downtown Providence. Dependable food and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for a special occasionalmjppDined on 9/15/2014Service and food were amazing. Started with the cheese plate which had four offerings: a bleu, a Spanish, a goat's milk, and a local cheese. All were very good, especially with their paired condiments. The ginger honey comb was particularly delicious. We both had entrees from the wood grill; my wife had the filet mignon with lobster salad, and I had the swordfish. Both were perfectly cooked and sized. We shared a side of mashed sweet potatoes and carrots, also very tasty. For dessert we sampled the chocolate cake which was a homemade lava cake style dessert, and the three flavors of sorbet. The cake and the coconut sorbet were particularly noteworthy. Service was extremely polite and friendly. The entire experience was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding and AttentiveLV410VIPDined on 9/13/2014I can't say whether the staff was more accommodating due to my indicating this was a special occasion, but I do know they met all expectations. Window seat, pace of service, unexpected little 'extras' all made for a perfect meal. Jason was superb. We split a half order of the lobster risotto which was both delicious and just right in amount given the very generous entree portions. My (double) soy brined pork chops were cooked to perfection (yes, medium/pink, not dry). My date's lime brined chicken with wild rice, too, was superb. We simply finished it off with coffee, satisfied and sated. We'll be back.Special Features:
- We'll be back for the Fall Menu!JulieParmDined on 9/13/2014Everything was great. We sat by the window, as requested. Our server, Jason, was great, taking our queue to make recommendations. We were sharing among four of us so he made good recommendations across the board and by the time it came dessert, had already rightly assumed what we would like. The flights of wine, both the Mediterranean Reds and Whites, were perfect with the appetizers and meal. One minor recommendation - the stools at the bar are heavy and hard to move causing disruption any time anyone wanted to get in or out. Simply putting felt bottoms or plastic sliders on the feet would be an improvement for both those trying to move the stools and those near the bar who are trying to enjoy their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceNotworthitDined on 9/13/2014The wine has a high markup price. You can get a bottle for what you pay for a glass. I had Ahi tuna. I asked that it be pink and it came out raw and cold after waiting a very long time for the meal. I would categorize the meal as good but nothing was extraordinary except the prices.
- Missed a bitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014We have been to Mill's TAvern may times. This night the service was a bit off. Waiter seemed rushed and not on point. Food was good but wasn't cooked to the temperature we requested.Special Features:
- Great menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The menu is seasonally changed so you'll always have something new to try and its always cooked to perfectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mills Tavern was outstanding!1luckyladyDined on 9/11/2014From the atmosphere, the food and the service. Everything was just perfect. We were celebrating our anniversary and the evening could not have been more romantic. The food was delish! It was beautifully prepared and just melted in your mouth! Our waiter made the night! He took great care of us by anticipating our needs and wants. He was also very entertaining and pleasant. It was our first time to Mill's Tavern and it certainly wont be our last! Thank you Mill's Tavern for making our Anniversary a night to remember. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New BartenderOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/5/2014The bartender told us it was his first night. He forgot a few things. Other times, we've had better service. Hope he adjusts soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evenings are made heregourm8Dined on 8/30/2014Our first time here at the Tavern, but definitely not our last. The food was a treat to eat, simply scrumptious! The portions were just right, the food cooked to perfection and the dessert menu was a sweet tooth heaven. Definitely a place for a great night out with friends, or with a loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KheYoDined on 8/29/2014The service was good, but the place was a bit noisy. I also wasn't impressed about the food. I ordered the lamb shank which came with mashed potato. Both were a bit citrusy for my taste. We tried Mill's Tavern based on recommendations but I do not it there will be a repeat visit.Special Features:
- Our second time here was better.MarksreviewDined on 8/23/2014This was our second time here on our our Wedding anniversary. I booked though open table this time around and specified a window seat seeing it was number eighteen. We arrived fifteen minutes early to catch a drink when they mention your table is ready and right next to the window. Our waiter Jason was there shorty after mentioning happy 18 th wedding anniversary. We had a great time and the dinner was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!ElizabethDined on 8/23/2014We had a special occasion and went to Mills Tavern to celebrate. We sat on the main isle, against a post. Not very romantic and very noisy, however, the food and waiter more than made up for the lack of intimacy. Exceptional service and great meals!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!IBChowinVIPDined on 8/23/2014I didn't know anything about Mill's Tavern until I checked it out on Open Table. It looked good so I made the reservation. I was expecting good and got outstanding! Free valet parking made it easy (but I tip the valets anyway) We were greeted and seated right away. Nice older building, great ambience. The service was very good, drinks were excellent. We were never rushed, the menu had so many great offerings it was hard to choose. My wife had the tuna, said it was the best she ever had. I had the short rib and it was the best I ever had. Bottles of wine seemed a little pricey but they offer flights of wine that were very good with a reasonale price and flights make it fun! It's not cheap here but worth every cent. I'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, even better waiterksniderVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were visiting from NYC and had a great pre-Waterfire meal on Saturday night. Our waiter, Phil, was amazing- very friendly and very knowledgeable. We all agreed that the calamari and halibut were two of the best seafood dishes we had ever had. The raw bar selection was great. The only downside: Unfortunately, my mother in law's meal came out room temp after a fairly long wait (timing may have been tough on a busy Waterfire night) and the cheeses on the cheese platter were not all that interesting. That said, we had a great meal in a fantastic location. I have already recommended the restaurant to family in the area.Special Features:
- ExcellentmamaQDined on 8/21/2014The short ribs were amazing!!! Honestly, possibly the best I've had. Also enjoyed our server…pleasant, knowledgable and lots of energy…Look forward to visiting again next time we're in Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Awesome restaurant!! It was my first time there and I will surely be going back.Special Features:
- Quality diningroundtableDined on 8/16/2014Everything was excellent from the tasty cocktails and appetizers to the outstanding desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceValentine14Dined on 8/15/2014I drove from Boston and visited for the first time. From the selection of wine to the food preparation and dessert all was great! The waiter Phil was knowledgeable about all the dishes. Braised ribs melted in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Mill's Tavern has always been one of my favorite restaurants for romantic dinners, special occasions, dinner with friends. Always excellent food, wine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.