2603 E Main St
Richmond, VA 23223Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.milliesdiner.com/
- Phone: 8046435512
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Friday: 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30-9:30pm
Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am-3:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Grayson Sponseller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Millie's can cater your next function or event with a customized and original menu. We offer casual, mid-range or full service options to fit your catering needs. Contact us and let us plan your next party!
- Entertainment: Millie's serves up vintage style all of the time with their original table and bar-top Seeburg jukeboxes full of amazing music...always a great selection of old, new and interesting to choose from!
- Cross Street: 26th Street
- Public Transit: Millie's is located on East Main Street in the Church Hill/Tobacco Row area, also just a few blocks from Shockoe Bottom. GRTC buses stop all along East Main Street for your transportation convenience. Exact location is the corner of East Main Street and 26th Street.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Millie's is on the corner of East Main Street and 26th Street in the Church Hill/Tobacco Row neighborhood. Street parking is available along East Main (except 4-6pm), on 26th street and also across East Main Street a small elevated parking area accommodates more parking. Most nearby hotels also offer complimentary shuttles to the restaurant.
A word from Millie's
Millie's....a Richmond landmark and locals' favorite eatery for 25 years. Millie's is where casual meets dressy, classic meets modern, comfort meets contemporary, and the menus are always changing with the seasons and chef's creative leanings. Housed in an old diner in the historic Tobacco Row/Church Hill neighborhood, Millie's has been setting the standard in Richmond since 1989 with a popular weekday lunch, modern American dinner service and great wine list and their world-famous weekend brunches. Talented chefs prepare your meal right in front of your eyes at the tiny front open kitchen. A cozy and comfortable ambiance pervades Millie's, where you can be assured of friendly and personalized service. The original diner counter serves as the restaurant's bar area, with a full ABC license and original cocktails. Millie's also boasts a 150+ bottle creative wine list with a full choice of varietal, country and price options from which to choose to complement your dinner. Join us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Millie's - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Millie's reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (35)great for brunch (19)special occasion (16)romantic (9)hot spot (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not for vegetariansDCKenDined on 9/6/2014I took a bunch of people to Millie's for dinner. The food was all pretty tasty. The only vegetarian option under the appetizers was a sort of insipid sounding house salad. The only vegetarian entree was the gnocchi with summer vegetables. It is not OK in this day and age to have as your one vegetarian option a dish with no protein. The server also suggested I could get the Thai shrimp without the shrimp. (Later, one of the party order the Thai shrimp, with the shrimp.) Vegetarian does not equal no meat. Vegetarian equals some non-flesh protein. That should not be that complicated. If there are no vegetarians in your party, or if no one wants to dine vegetarian, you will do just fine. If there are, you have lots of other options.Special Features:
- Excellent food!maggiecatDined on 8/28/2014Millie's never fails to please. The food is always excellent, with selections from a creative and changing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TessaDined on 8/22/2014Always exceptional, memorable. Appetizers, entrees and desserts were all talked about the next day. Took an out-of-town friend for dinner and he wants to return on his next visit. Thanks again, Millie's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Millies Keeps It GoingAl2eatDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I had a fabulous meal at Millies. Great food and great service. The bartender made us special cocktails. My wife had pork on succotash. Pork was tender and juicy. The succotash was so good that we ordered a plate of it to take home with us. Mine was a blackened trout that was excellent. So glad they are on OpenTable now.Special Features:
- Millie's is Millie'sDonaldDined on 8/21/2014What you've read and heard is true. Comfortable, relaxing, informal atmosphere. Always an interesting menu. Food preparation that keeps you coming back. Millie's style of putting flavors together. And friendly unrushed wait staff. Have thoroughly enjoyed both lunches and dinner. Safe neighborhood for anyone who thought otherwise. And parking is not a big deal except on Main Street between 5 and 6 p.m. Even then you can find parking across the road and on the side street if you're an early diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014For a place that is consistently highly rated, we were disappointed. When you are a place that looks like a dive, and has no real ambience, and is a bit on the pricey side, the food is all you've got and it better be exceptional. In our case it wasn't. We went on a week night about 6:30 with a reservation and were seated immediately. So far, so good. The menu had only a half dozen or so entrees. I chose the spicy Thai shrimp and my wife had the pork loin. Both were ok but not exceptional in any way...presentation, taste, etc. My spicy Thai shrimp was not overly spicy but it did start to get to me as a I cleaned my plate. We just didn't experience what all the fuss is about.Special Features:
- Still Fabulous!goingouttoeatVIPDined on 8/15/2014Reminded once again how incredibly good the food is at Millie's. We tend to think of it for lunch and brunch, but our dinner was fabulous. Trout on top of yummy "goo" as my husband puts it (really a mixture of asparagus, spaetzle and seasonings) and moist pork chops on top of succotash and grits. Every bite was delicious!Special Features:
- Consistently deliciousMissyDined on 8/14/2014I am never disappointed when dining at Millie's... the food is always great and so is the service. One of our favorite RVA restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A diamond in the roughMildredPierce25Dined on 8/12/2014I had the seasonal special-skate with summer vegetables. It was remarkable. One of the best meals I have had. Love the neighborhood feel, the atmosphere, and overall vibe of the place. We made a special point to dine there, our second time now, while overnighting in Richmond enroute to DC from Atlanta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Richmond favoriteFoodIsLoveDined on 8/7/2014A fave with locals and tourists alike. This restaurant is everything that is Richmond -- historic with a quirky style.Special Features:
- Old frienddacomanDined on 8/2/2014I have not been to Millie's for about 10 years. Still awesome neighborhood gem. Food was excellent and served piping hot. Super helpful server. Pretty energetic, and we sat up front near grill so could really smell the grilled food. We left smelling like the grill. Overall great experience. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and attentive staff. Unique and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lives up to its reputationMasullDined on 7/24/2014Millie's was recommended to me by an acquaintance who is from Richmond; I then looked up the reviews on Open Table and decided to try it. A picture of our group on Facebook prompted an unrelated friend to comment "I LOVE Millie's!" The food was excellent, the service great, the ambiance not over the top, not trying too hard, just right. I had the salmon that night and it was superb. We went again a few weeks later and had the rockfish which was also cooked superbly. My husband said he has driven by it many, many times and always wondered about it. The outside doesn't reflect the great dining within. I recommend it very highly!Special Features:
- A Richmond treasure4foodiesDined on 7/23/2014We finally got around to trying Millie's and soooo glad we did! The place was small and cozy. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Our waiter recommended the Thai Shrimp and it was definitely a winner! It was really great to see the food cooked right out front. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nite!DrsnaphookDined on 7/19/2014First time eating here. Food and wine list were both spectacular! Menu changes daily!Special Features:
- Great Find!BirdParkDined on 7/18/2014Visiting the area, found this gem. Got reservations which you will need. Standouts for us were the rockfish dish (excellent, every flavor on the plate complimenting) and the seasonal berry dessert ( beautiful, simple). Our waiter was knowledgeable and sharing. Only disappointment was the tequila drink El Mago (heavy on the bitters, masked the tequila) and the Gnocchi dish was just a jumbled concoction. Nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!EricDRVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had several fish and seafood dishes, all of them really well done.Special Features:
- PerfectionSincerelyLipstickDined on 7/12/2014Greatest food I ever put in my mouth. Grayson (the chef) should be listed with Marie Antoine Carême for what he can do with veggies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulAandMVIPDined on 7/6/2014We live in NYC but this was the 4th time we've eaten at Millie's. The food is always delicious and the staff is friendly, courteous and attentive. We don't visit Richmond often but we always make sure that we have time for a meal at Millie's.Special Features:
- Expensive but worth itMidloBritDined on 6/29/2014Normally we enjoy Millie's for brunch on a Sunday morning and have become fond of being recognized when we enter Paul's establishment, but I wanted to try their dinner fare. Our food was exquisitely prepared and our service was flawless. It was so nice to have our entire table cleared prior to desert being served. Although the music was a little loud for an intimate dinner setting, I will (and have) recommended Millie's to friends and co-workers. Keep up the good work and we look forward to returningSpecial Features:
- forgottenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Waited an hour with reservations. Waited an hour after ordering. totally forgotten by the waiter. Disappointing.
- Great spotcorkatVIPDined on 6/8/2014I had never been to Millie's before this visit and now I am wishing I had. The food was outstanding. I enjoyed the salmon as well as well as the strawberry crumble dessert with their homemade vanilla bean cream on top. I like the space as well, it was intimate but delightful.Special Features:
- ReviewBubbaDined on 5/31/2014Enjoyed dinner very much. I would like to see menu be a bit more extensive. Not a great number of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Millie's Still In Top 3LouLuvsGreatFoodDined on 5/31/2014Dinner with my wife and friends, I had the steak over the mash potatoes, best potatoes I can ever remember having, steak was broiled to perfection. My wife had the Cornish hen over mac and cheese and she raved about it. We shared the Espresso Gelato and it was great. For a Saturday evening it wasn't to crowded and noise level was moderate; only disappointment was the table and booth seats were slightly out of line which made the experience less than ideal. Regardless, I continue to say that Millie's remains in the Top 3 Richmond Restaurants. Recommend to any one that enjoys great food, service and good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Millie'sEdieDined on 5/28/2014Is on my list of notable restaurants in the Richmond area. Of all the ones I have tried so far, this is my only five-star!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Millie's for a birthdayFrqnt34t3rDined on 5/22/2014Great atmosphere and food. I would recommend Millie's to anyone that is looking for excellently crafted meals and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 13 reviews are from the Millie's reviews archive.
- MilliesfoodmanDined on 5/15/2014Wonderful food and service which impressed out of town business associate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealdpathdrDined on 5/13/2014Millie's always delivers. The food is quality, and served to you by relaxed yet spot-on service. The wine list is well-chosen. Why we don't come here more often I have no idea...Special Features:
- Fab Mother's DayCooksChoiceDined on 5/11/2014Four of us enjoyed great appetizers, drinks, dinners, and desserts at Millies. From the Asparagus Soup, to the veggie wraps and salads we were impressed. Our dinners of steak, Cornish Game Hen, and Lamb all hit it out of the park, too. Millies is a Richmond landmark and deserves all the accolades over the years. They aren't resting on their laurels with great meals, an extensive wine and beer list and homemade desserts. We'll be back. (Oh and our waiter was wonderful, too.)Special Features:
- Over rated and poor attentionDisappointedDined on 5/10/2014The waiter, Collin I believe, was not sensitive to the discussion at the table and went prattling on about the menu while half the party paid no attention. I had to ask him to come back to do a second shot at it when we could give him full attention. An order for the barbeque lettuce wraps was made but he thought we just wanted to discuss it and so it never came. The meals were very good but with no appetizer there was just not that much to eat. The Thai Spicy Shrimp was very good and an adequate portion. The Char and the Steak looked like they were child sized luncheon plates. I am no stranger to fine dining but Millie's is just over rated and too costly. Richmonders rate this place highly because they must not have traveled much!Special Features:
- Upscale casual dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/6/2014Don't let the name Diner fool you. This is quality upscale dining, in a very low-key atmosphere. Food was served beautifully, very delicious, but a bit pricey. The decor is very basic, like an old neighborhood restaurant from the 50s. Waiter was charming. Would come back again when in Richmond.Special Features:
- Hometown favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014I don't often write these reviews, but Millie's is a hometown favorite. We used to live in the city and went there often. Since we've moved about a half hour north, we don't get around and really miss it. We were there last week. The food was GREAT and the guy who waited on us...it was like he was reading my mind! And the drinks were drinks! None of this filling your bourbon and coke up with coke! We had to walk around a bit after. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Loudin4foodDined on 4/26/2014My girlfriend and I went to Millie's for a night out during restaurant week. The food was great. We were seated in a timely fashion. The place was loud though. We would definitely go back. It is not a place for a romantic dinner since you have to talk loudly to hear the other person at your table. There are no "nice quiet conversations" at this place. But, the food would get me back there.Special Features:
- Great meal during Restaurant WeekDurtleDined on 4/25/2014We visited during Richmond Restaurant Week and really enjoyed it. It was a great introduction to this restaurant. The Shrimp Hoecake appetizer was fantastic with the Cajun sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014We had an older server (long, gray hair) - he was awful. He was in a terrible mood the entire time we were there and was openly rude towards us each time he came to the table (which was ONLY to drop off food).Special Features:
- Crazy MixPGHRacersDined on 4/25/2014This was our 3rd visit, we had great service. The mix of food on the menu is always a new experience. We will be back in September.Special Features:
- DisappointedWinnerDined on 4/24/2014I have eaten at Millie's several times and was excited by their Restaurant Week menu; however, the food did not meet my expectations and I was a little surprised disappointed. The steak was prepared exactly as I asked (medium) but it was tough and the flavor was just ok. The sea bass was ok; however, all of the components in the dish did not come together. I took my fiance with me as he had never eaten at Millie's before; he did not think that the food was as good as Mosaic! I like Mosaic but I've always thought Millie's is in a higher league. When comparing the two during Restaurant Week, I am rethinking my opinion.Special Features:
- simply wonderfulColgateDined on 4/22/2014This was my first time at Millie's and I'm sorry I waited so long. The food was fantastic! The new reservation policy makes it easy to plan and they did a great job with it and the crowd.Special Features:
- As Always....DickmDined on 4/19/2014Dinner on a recent Saturday night was a combination of the usual great food and service.Special Features: