2603 E Main St
Richmond, VA 23223Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.milliesdiner.com/
- Phone: (804) 643-5512
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Friday: 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30-9:30pm
Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am-3:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Grayson Sponseller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Millie's can cater your next function or event with a customized and original menu. We offer casual, mid-range or full service options to fit your catering needs. Contact us and let us plan your next party!
- Entertainment: Millie's serves up vintage style all of the time with their original table and bar-top Seeburg jukeboxes full of amazing music...always a great selection of old, new and interesting to choose from!
- Cross Street: 26th Street
- Public Transit: Millie's is located on East Main Street in the Church Hill/Tobacco Row area, also just a few blocks from Shockoe Bottom. GRTC buses stop all along East Main Street for your transportation convenience. Exact location is the corner of East Main Street and 26th Street.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Millie's is on the corner of East Main Street and 26th Street in the Church Hill/Tobacco Row neighborhood. Street parking is available along East Main (except 4-6pm), on 26th street and also across East Main Street a small elevated parking area accommodates more parking. Most nearby hotels also offer complimentary shuttles to the restaurant.
A word from Millie's
Millie's....a Richmond landmark and locals' favorite eatery for 25 years. Millie's is where casual meets dressy, classic meets modern, comfort meets contemporary, and the menus are always changing with the seasons and chef's creative leanings. Housed in an old diner in the historic Tobacco Row/Church Hill neighborhood, Millie's has been setting the standard in Richmond since 1989 with a popular weekday lunch, modern American dinner service and great wine list and their world-famous weekend brunches. Talented chefs prepare your meal right in front of your eyes at the tiny front open kitchen. A cozy and comfortable ambiance pervades Millie's, where you can be assured of friendly and personalized service. The original diner counter serves as the restaurant's bar area, with a full ABC license and original cocktails. Millie's also boasts a 150+ bottle creative wine list with a full choice of varietal, country and price options from which to choose to complement your dinner. Join us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Millie's - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Millie's reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (53)great for brunch (28)special occasion (22)romantic (14)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (9)hot spot (9)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Millie's Never DisappointsMadJaneDined on 11/20/2014You will find some of the best food in Richmond at Millie's. I enjoyed the mushroom appetizer, followed by quail served over quinoa. The quail was cooked perfectly and the dish was very flavorful. Our server was attentive at aoll the right times. In short, I can always count on having a more than satisfying meal at Shockoe Bottom's best restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HenryFlaglerVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our first time at Millie's. You know, it was OK. Everything was well prepared and plated; the portions were large; and we enjoyed our food and drink; the service was good. I know the history and reputation, but at this point in Richmond, you can get what they do at Millie's at several other locations: Acacia, Lemaire, The Daily, Bacchus, etc. I'm not a fan of this part of Richmond or of the Millie's concept ("funky diner"). Parking is a challenge. I would say the reason to choose Millie's over some rivals is atmosphere. It wasn't bad-please don't take this as a negative review, we'll go back, but you have to be in the mood for, well, the mood of the place.
- Not our typical Millie's experienceSwissmissDined on 11/8/2014Waited almost 30 minutes for our reserved table. Medium tuna was served well done. Overall though, everyone else enjoyed their meals, thai shrimp, roast pork and gnocci.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discriminatingly Different!MacLDined on 11/8/2014Not the same old...same old food...great flavor combinations!Special Features:
- Not so Scary HalloweenKDWDOEDined on 10/31/2014We have been longtime fans of Millie's going back to the 80's, but mostly for their amazing breakfasts. We decided to try out the dinner menu on Halloween and were not disappointed. The three entrees: pork tenderloin, Thai spicy shirimp and green curry scallops were all equally flavorful and beautifully prepared and presented. Service was top notch and the chocolate mousse with peanut brittle an interesting and tasty coda. You really can't go wrong dining at Millie's.Special Features:
- Still Number OnerororeviewsDined on 10/25/2014Millie's is a restaurant that never disappoints-they are always at the top of their game. Our server was friendly & efficient & we like the casual atmosphere.To begin, my husband had the Pumpkin Bisque which had good flavor but wasn't as thick as he'd have liked. I fell in love with the Pan Seared Bay Scallops with Celery Root Puree & would like to see this as an entrée. We both chose Seared Flounder Filet with Baked Fennel Gratin & Lemon-Anise Cream which we deemed the most outstanding fish we had ever eaten to date-a perfect dish. Friends with us gave two thumbs up to the Pork Tenderloin. Millie's also hit the mark with the dark chocolate mousse and the pumpkin gelato-filled profiteroles with salted caramel sauce. Choose Millie's tonight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSusanDined on 10/24/2014The food was delicious and the presentation so appealing. I love the intimacy of the restaurant and the attentiveness of the wait staff and owner! Excellent dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner51Dined on 10/23/2014It was our first time, after hearing great things about it for years. Food was terrific, loved the smallness. Downside is parking.Special Features:
- just greateatingoutgreata10Dined on 10/22/2014this was our first visit to Miiie'a and we certainly will return.Special Features:
- Always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/21/2014Visited for Richmond Restaurant Week, Millie's is always great but their restaurant menu wasn't a cop-out. Still favorable and inventive as always. Don't skip dessert...the profiteroles are to die for!!!!Special Features:
- Charming!jeanetteDined on 10/21/2014Charming little place, SO nice ! Tables were close together, but it was not a problem. We actually started a nice conversation with the couple next to us, but we didn't feel like we were in each other's laps. The service was excellent, I did not feel rushed, and they were not quick to remove plates, I like when I get to finish a meal! The wait staff was knowledgeable, and could answer our questions, as well as recommend items. The food was hot, and looked very creative on the plates. My food was a bit too salty to for ME.. I want to taste my food, not salt, but I don't like a lot of salt anyways. My hubby and I are definitely going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014The food was fantastic from start to finish! Oysters were wonderful - duck confit Hash outstanding! Thai spicy shrimp - outstanding!Special Features:
- Great spot for anytimejjdornDined on 10/15/2014I've been to Millie's for brunch and loved it, and the dinner experience is not found lacking. The creative menu still has something for every taste and they're all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing!Roses1916VIPDined on 10/4/2014Millie's is one of the best restaurants I have ever had the pleasure of dining at. The food is always delicious, the service is great, the wine list is fantastic, all leading to an excellent experience. This was our second visit and there will be many more. We had the pumpkin soup, the parsnip apple salad, the hanger steak, the pork tenderloin, and the almond cake. Each was more delicious than the last. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- good fooddcdinerVIPDined on 10/3/2014I had a great meal here! The management, servers and Chef were very helpful and accommodating in taking care of my food allergies. Enjoyed the atmosphere and watching the chefs cook near the front entrance. Overall, we had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trout with Spaetzle and LeeksJTBrownDined on 9/30/2014My wife and I had trout with spaetzle and leeks. We hadn't tried this combination before and it was delicious. The chef had prepared a sauce for the spaetzle and leeks which was a wonderful compliment to the meal. The meal included fresh baked bread with a hearty crust that was outstanding as was the attentive service. Although the meal was eastern European, the chef added touches that gave our taste buds something new to ponder.Special Features:
- good food, but too loudDarinDined on 9/26/2014We had the pork loin,hanger steak and the cheese and meat app. Presentation and service were excellent, and the food was delicious. Didn't care so much for the greens on my steak, but I think that's a personal preference - the greens were fresh and flavorful. The roasted potatoes were good. Portions were perfect. No leftovers and I left satisfied. Only dowside was the noise level. Maybe I'm just getting old, but at times I had a hard time understanding my wife. Some would say that is typical for married men, but not for us. Haha. We were there at 8:30pm on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visit to Millie'sServiceiseverythingDined on 9/26/2014As a visitor to Richmond for the VNA Conference, I asked the advice of a table mate as to a good choice for dinner on a Fridat night. She recommended Millie's as a great establishment with local foods, unique menu and limited seating. Our hotel shuttle service at the Doubletree delivered us to the door and we were not disappointed. Despite a loud party in the room we were seated, our service was top knotch! Couldn't have been better. We appreciated the gluten free choices on the menu. The Hanger Steaka and Thai Shrimp were out of this world! Will definitely return. Thanks to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky with good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Spicy shrimp was great. Quail was reported to be dry. Old wooden booths and a very casual relaxed atmosphere. Very popularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Millie'sGatoDined on 9/13/2014We've enjoyed Millie's for 20 years--very good food and wine in a lively, unpretentious atmosphere.Special Features:
- Not for vegetariansDCKenDined on 9/6/2014I took a bunch of people to Millie's for dinner. The food was all pretty tasty. The only vegetarian option under the appetizers was a sort of insipid sounding house salad. The only vegetarian entree was the gnocchi with summer vegetables. It is not OK in this day and age to have as your one vegetarian option a dish with no protein. The server also suggested I could get the Thai shrimp without the shrimp. (Later, one of the party order the Thai shrimp, with the shrimp.) Vegetarian does not equal no meat. Vegetarian equals some non-flesh protein. That should not be that complicated. If there are no vegetarians in your party, or if no one wants to dine vegetarian, you will do just fine. If there are, you have lots of other options.Special Features:
- Excellent food!maggiecatDined on 8/28/2014Millie's never fails to please. The food is always excellent, with selections from a creative and changing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TessaDined on 8/22/2014Always exceptional, memorable. Appetizers, entrees and desserts were all talked about the next day. Took an out-of-town friend for dinner and he wants to return on his next visit. Thanks again, Millie's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Millies Keeps It GoingAl2eatDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I had a fabulous meal at Millies. Great food and great service. The bartender made us special cocktails. My wife had pork on succotash. Pork was tender and juicy. The succotash was so good that we ordered a plate of it to take home with us. Mine was a blackened trout that was excellent. So glad they are on OpenTable now.Special Features:
- Millie's is Millie'sDonaldDined on 8/21/2014What you've read and heard is true. Comfortable, relaxing, informal atmosphere. Always an interesting menu. Food preparation that keeps you coming back. Millie's style of putting flavors together. And friendly unrushed wait staff. Have thoroughly enjoyed both lunches and dinner. Safe neighborhood for anyone who thought otherwise. And parking is not a big deal except on Main Street between 5 and 6 p.m. Even then you can find parking across the road and on the side street if you're an early diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014For a place that is consistently highly rated, we were disappointed. When you are a place that looks like a dive, and has no real ambience, and is a bit on the pricey side, the food is all you've got and it better be exceptional. In our case it wasn't. We went on a week night about 6:30 with a reservation and were seated immediately. So far, so good. The menu had only a half dozen or so entrees. I chose the spicy Thai shrimp and my wife had the pork loin. Both were ok but not exceptional in any way...presentation, taste, etc. My spicy Thai shrimp was not overly spicy but it did start to get to me as a I cleaned my plate. We just didn't experience what all the fuss is about.Special Features:
- Still Fabulous!goingouttoeatVIPDined on 8/15/2014Reminded once again how incredibly good the food is at Millie's. We tend to think of it for lunch and brunch, but our dinner was fabulous. Trout on top of yummy "goo" as my husband puts it (really a mixture of asparagus, spaetzle and seasonings) and moist pork chops on top of succotash and grits. Every bite was delicious!Special Features:
- Consistently deliciousMissyDined on 8/14/2014I am never disappointed when dining at Millie's... the food is always great and so is the service. One of our favorite RVA restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A diamond in the roughMildredPierce25Dined on 8/12/2014I had the seasonal special-skate with summer vegetables. It was remarkable. One of the best meals I have had. Love the neighborhood feel, the atmosphere, and overall vibe of the place. We made a special point to dine there, our second time now, while overnighting in Richmond enroute to DC from Atlanta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Richmond favoriteFoodIsLoveDined on 8/7/2014A fave with locals and tourists alike. This restaurant is everything that is Richmond -- historic with a quirky style.Special Features:
- Old frienddacomanDined on 8/2/2014I have not been to Millie's for about 10 years. Still awesome neighborhood gem. Food was excellent and served piping hot. Super helpful server. Pretty energetic, and we sat up front near grill so could really smell the grilled food. We left smelling like the grill. Overall great experience. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- The following 28 reviews are from the Millie's reviews archive.
- BCTCETDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and attentive staff. Unique and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lives up to its reputationMasullDined on 7/24/2014Millie's was recommended to me by an acquaintance who is from Richmond; I then looked up the reviews on Open Table and decided to try it. A picture of our group on Facebook prompted an unrelated friend to comment "I LOVE Millie's!" The food was excellent, the service great, the ambiance not over the top, not trying too hard, just right. I had the salmon that night and it was superb. We went again a few weeks later and had the rockfish which was also cooked superbly. My husband said he has driven by it many, many times and always wondered about it. The outside doesn't reflect the great dining within. I recommend it very highly!Special Features:
- A Richmond treasure4foodiesDined on 7/23/2014We finally got around to trying Millie's and soooo glad we did! The place was small and cozy. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Our waiter recommended the Thai Shrimp and it was definitely a winner! It was really great to see the food cooked right out front. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nite!DrsnaphookDined on 7/19/2014First time eating here. Food and wine list were both spectacular! Menu changes daily!Special Features:
- Great Find!BirdParkDined on 7/18/2014Visiting the area, found this gem. Got reservations which you will need. Standouts for us were the rockfish dish (excellent, every flavor on the plate complimenting) and the seasonal berry dessert ( beautiful, simple). Our waiter was knowledgeable and sharing. Only disappointment was the tequila drink El Mago (heavy on the bitters, masked the tequila) and the Gnocchi dish was just a jumbled concoction. Nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!EricDRVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had several fish and seafood dishes, all of them really well done.Special Features:
- PerfectionSincerelyLipstickDined on 7/12/2014Greatest food I ever put in my mouth. Grayson (the chef) should be listed with Marie Antoine Carême for what he can do with veggies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulAandMVIPDined on 7/6/2014We live in NYC but this was the 4th time we've eaten at Millie's. The food is always delicious and the staff is friendly, courteous and attentive. We don't visit Richmond often but we always make sure that we have time for a meal at Millie's.Special Features:
- Expensive but worth itMidloBritDined on 6/29/2014Normally we enjoy Millie's for brunch on a Sunday morning and have become fond of being recognized when we enter Paul's establishment, but I wanted to try their dinner fare. Our food was exquisitely prepared and our service was flawless. It was so nice to have our entire table cleared prior to desert being served. Although the music was a little loud for an intimate dinner setting, I will (and have) recommended Millie's to friends and co-workers. Keep up the good work and we look forward to returningSpecial Features: