960 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11238Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.milkriverbrooklyn.com/
- Phone: 718-636-8600x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00AM - 11:00 AM
Friday- Saturday: 5:00 AM - 1:00 AM
Extended Hours With Special Events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Asian
- Executive Chef: La-Niece
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Milk River
Milk River is a Brooklyn Neighborhood Restaurant featuring a Caribbean/Asian inspired cuisine incorporating Chef/Owner La-Niece's Jamaican and Chinese background. The first floor is a 150 seat dining room with plush booths and intimate tables. Reclaimed wood makes up the communal bar tables for a casual dining experience with friends and the 16 seat bar is pouring local draft wine and beer. The second floor is Milk River's Sport Lounge which features comfortable couches, bar height banquettes and a 20 seat bar where you can sample Chef La-Niece's Caribbean/Asian Fare while cheering on your favorite NYC sports club.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Milk River - Best Restaurants in Prospect Heights ›
Milk River reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (18)special occasion (16)late-night find (14)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (12)romantic (10)fit for foodies (6)great for brunch (5)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Nice concept, needs some tweakingBKTrinDined on 9/26/2014For the price the food was just okay, at the price point I was expecting the food to be excellent. My jerk wings were a little under cooked and not as spicy as the waiter said they would be. Also, the drinks are pricey! I was excepting a lot more of a kick at a $14 price point, they were a little watered down in my opinion. The live band aspect of the spot was cool, it's hard to find that now-a-days. My waiter (a male) was really nice and helpful.Special Features:
- bad servicebgood food and clubOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We dined here. Took an hour to get water. Got our food before water. Maybe cause it was busy. But the cod fritters, mac n cheese and parmesan fries was so dam good!. After wards we went upstairs to the lounge 50% off the admission with your dining receipt . So we paid $10 and had a ball the dj mixed it up with hip hop , reggae, and some Spanish music. We danced all night!. Saturday night at milk riverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incompetent StaffNickyDined on 9/5/2014At the onset our treatment at this place was horrible, I explained that the third member of our party will be held up at a meeting until 9:15pm, they were non-accommodating and said they would put us at a two seater then, move us to a three seater when the third person arrived. I said no, and that I was ready to be seated, they had us wait, sat a couple at the comfortable 4-5 seater who came after us, and it was not until I went back and asked to speak to a Manager he said they could seat us at a two seater then add a table, only then did the receptionist say, "oh, I was just going to say that." The Manager went on to state rather unprofessionally if my guest ever stood me up before.
- Disappointed at dining serviceNeeceD77VIPDined on 8/31/2014I've been here a few times and I must say I was very disappointed at the service initially this past weekend. They had a brunch menu out but only had three items from that menu. They brought out my friends meal over cooked and she ended up taking it back. The saving grace was one of the manager saw how inpleased we were with the service and sent us over a bottle of wine to make up for all the disappointments and very slow service. Overall my other experiences were average or above average this was just a bad day I hope. I will try to patronize them again as I do like the place overall and the ambience they create with love music/DJ, good bartenders etc the food is actually really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be BetterNyFoodieDined on 8/30/2014My expectations were a little high for my first time at this new trendy spot. Though pleased at the ambience I was not pleased that I had to practically yell to talk to my dinner guest. The music was too loud and I couldn't really enjoy the set. The food was excellent and they gave me healthy portions of what I ordered so I was pleased with that. Not the kind of space you take a date but definitely a good hang out spot if you're looking for something to do in BK on the late night tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be the next best in brooklynmeknowgoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014Atmosphere and setting is gorgeous. Menu options need to be expanded. This was my first visit and we were very pleased. Dined with a relative from overseas,who was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemBKDINE830Dined on 8/16/2014My Bff and I was looking for a restaurant in our neighborhood that provided live music and great food and Milk River had both. Our server was attentive and had a great personality. My Bff and I both agreed it's really good that Brooklyn has a restaurant like Milk River that provides a great ambience, music and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To an evening well spent...TahStep3Dined on 8/15/2014Milk River wasn't your typical spot in BedStuy Brooklyn to go to for a classy evening or a night out on the town. It was very classy and everything you look for in a perfect evening on a special occasion, girls night out whatever it may be. If your looking for a place to express the pizazz that was it. The environment was very loud they do have live music so that at times prevents the servers from being able to answer questions or hear the properly without having them to repeat it several times. The service was very good though and the food was PHENOMENOL! Very tasty and the presentation was everything! They get 1000% with the food. The prices are definitely steep but whatever you're celebrating and taste it worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a new chefNounciaDined on 8/15/2014Food was horrible!!!! Ordered Curry Prawns, what they served was baby shrimp that barely taste like curry & uncooked rice. Rum punch wasn't too bad but had better. Won't be going back not even if food was for free.
- Loved Milk River!AlwaysHonestDined on 8/9/2014This was not my first time here and every experience has been different, in a positive way. However the food and drinks always meet my expectation. Wouldn't necessarily recommend Milk River on a Saturday night to have a dinner conversation, the energy of the live band can be over-powering. But if out to have a great time on a Saturday night, this place is priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be your own judge!MegzDined on 8/2/2014If I had believed the reviews I read before going, I would not have been able to eat some really great calamari, baked Mac and Cheese, chicken and waffles, indulge with great drinks, enjoy a live band and more great music in the lounge. My girls and I went Saturday night around 8pm for a girls night out. Our server was great. She was attentive, friendly and helpful. Our food did not take long to come like many others have said and it was crowded. Honestly, the only thing I would say negative is that the menu is way too small. More variety and options would make me a regular. Also, it is pricy so it is a treat but you pay for what you get. You WILL enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great entertainment/servicelovelynycDined on 8/1/2014The hostess and waiter were top notch. However, a couple of items on the menu were not available. Overall, I had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a birthdaybirthdayDined on 8/1/2014This place is great lovely atmosphere great live band good food and a very nice staff Overall a great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could be betterTazmanianDined on 7/26/2014The atmosphere was great and nice place to hang out but the food service was very slow.wanted a glass of water and the waiter said all the glass was dirty do they were washing them. Smh. What they only had 24 glasses. Other than that I had a great time. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hanging out in BKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The ambiance was really cool and updated furnishings. A live band kept us entertained with great music American/Jamaican music. The vibe really gets started about 10:30pm and you can dine and then go upstairs to the club that is also a part of Milk River. The manager gave us a free drink b/c my friend made a suggestion to keep people coming back. The appetizers were delicious, I am not sure of the entrees as I never had a chance to try them b/c I wasn't hungry after eating my apps. I had catfish fritters, French Fries, Calamari, Twice all delicious. I also had the Rum punch to drink. Really good felt like I was in Jamaica again. I would definitely recommend you visit. I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 77 reviews are from the Milk River reviews archive.
- Great Food, but.......GoodeatsDined on 6/13/2014My brother and I brought my dad on a Friday night to celebrate Father's Day. Love the atmosphere and the food was great! I like the idea of the live entertainment, however the band was entirely too loud. It was impossible to have any kind of conversation. If you like to converse during dinner this place is not for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been Better!!Denaluv2dineDined on 5/31/2014Went to Milk River with 3 of my girlfriends to celebrate my birthday. I've heard mixed reviews about this restaurant, however I wanted to formulate my own opinion. I must say all the negative reviews about poor service were spot on. Throughout our dinner, our waiter kept disappearing, he checked in on us about two times. He made numerous mistakes with our food order, then had the nerve to add his tip to the total bill at a generous 22%. How ridiculous is that. If this establishment hope to survive with all the competition out there, they need to work on their customer service.Special Features:
- Milk River, Saturday, May 31, 2014LadySavvyDined on 5/31/2014So I had raving reviews on my prior visit to Milk River. However, on this recent visit, I can't say the same. I suppose because it was on a busy night, the food quality would falter a bit. I brought my sister there for her birthday. Her jerk lamb chops was probably the best food item out of all that we've ordered. My fried rice could have been cooked a little more, and the crab cakes were cold and it was a bit fishier than last time. I had an issue with the coat check, as if you are trying to enforce a rule, then it needs to apply to everyone. The hostesses were unprofessional. The manager approached me about another issue regarding the tip in the midst of my sister and I taking pics for a birthday collage. It was unprofessional.
- Awesome TimeLexilexDined on 5/28/2014My time in Milk river was awesome, I would definitely tell people about this place. I truly enjoyed my time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Milk What???RifaDined on 5/16/2014A nice restaurant but the cover band that was there was so loud my friends and I couldn't hear ourselves. The food was very tasty but a little too pricey for the amount you get. The drinks were ok. The overall experience was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014The wait staff could be a more attentive. The food and live band were enjoyable, but our waiter was sub par.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The hostess was not a people person, very rude and not acccomadating. The waitress was fabulous! The band was very good however, the volume was too loud that's why I don't recommend it for a date because you couldn't really talk except during the intermission. The nightlife upstairs was ok, nice decorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itLuv2eat419Dined on 4/27/2014Beautiful restaurant. My only complain was the dinner. The appetizers were AMAZING!! Crab cakes ...DELICIOUS!! Jerk Pineapple wings.....DELICIOUS!! Then we had Braised beef ........it was just okay. My daughter had Chicken and waffels. The chicken was not that great, however the waffles and the homemade syrup.....SLAMMIN!!! Thats the only reason I gave 4 stars not 5 but other than that everything was GREAT!Special Features:
- Amazing food but...ToyaDined on 4/26/2014This was my second visit to Milk River. The food was delicious and amazing. However, on both occasions the service was horrific. On my most recent visit, we were celebrating a birthday and waited at least 20 minutes for a server to come. We flagged a server down to ask if he knew who our waiter was and all he did was give a nasty look and then angrily brought us some water. When our waiter finally did show up, he had an annoyed look on his face and didn't even introduce himself - all he asked was "are you ready". I had to ask him his name. In fact, the only time he smiled was when he brought the check with the 22% gratitude already added in. I would recommend this place with a harsh warning of the great food but horrible service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aweful ExperiencePetrenaHDined on 4/26/2014Milk River is way overrated and extremely overpriced, if they plan on staying in business I would strongly suggest a clean sweep of the entire staff or extensive re-training, The customer service provided by the staff members I would say is lacking in everything. I found them to be rude & deceptive of what they tell you'll get versus what you actually get. The valet service even stole the change from my friends car.. If you have any thoughts on going here I would strongly suggest you taking your money elsewhere.. The food wasn't anything to write home about either..
- Good buttttOverthehypeDined on 4/26/2014I love the ambience of milk river. The set up is great. But my problem is that the food is expensive n the portion sizes are RIDICULOUS. And I'm not exaggerating. I paid 27 for a fillet snapper. N two tablespoons of rice. I took my dad out n he had salmon n spinach. N no lie it was like 5 leaves of STEAMED spinach. n the side of rice is $8 for mayb a 1/2 cup. Ridiculous. I'm sorry but I won't b returning to milk river. I don't mind expensive food. But I need to at least be full when I'm leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotFoodFoodFoodDined on 4/26/2014Food is Pricey but worth it! Great for dinner before the lounge part (upstairs) opens up. If you like conversation during dinner it is kind of hard to hear eachother over the music. Although the food was fantastic it took a while to come to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud DinnerTrueBrooklyniteDined on 4/26/2014I have been hearing about Milk river for a while and finally took my cousin there on Saturday. Both he and I could not hear each other at all. I felt like I was yelling while trying to have a conversation with him. the music was blasting to point where everyone there sounded as if they were shouting at the same time. I am not sure what was going on, but it was very uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best time ever!JuiceyDined on 4/19/2014I had a great time at Milk River. It was my sisters birthday and she enjoyed herself to the fullest! The band was exquisite and the interaction with the audience was great! An overall fabulous time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!DiamondGirlDined on 4/12/2014We dined on Saturday night at 8pm. It wasn't crowded at that time. There was music playing, which added to the ambiance. However, when the live band started to play, it was a bit too loud. It didn't match the dining experience. I usually like live bands but when you're sitting with friends and trying to eat and chat, that does not work. Maybe the band could play later in the night. Also, the band was louder than the singer. That's the only complaint. The food was great and so was the service. We left a bit after 9pm and by that time it started to get crowded. We had the chicken, salmon and snapper. All tasted delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place,no complaintsShanaDined on 4/11/2014The Ambiance is wicked, would come here on a romantic date. The party was :) who would have thought this spot was in Brooklyn, the decor aw!, this is one of many hidden gems in Brooklyn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic scene but youDedeDined on 4/11/2014Great romantic scene but you cant hear the person that is sitting right in front of you. Great live band and when I booked online(twice) and requested a booth both times I never received it. So I don't think they read special requests. The receptionist were friendly but kind of confused on how to seat ppl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful but...DanyaDined on 4/10/2014The restaurant was awesome. the food was really good and the ambience and waiters were wonderful. The only thing I wish they had was a wider range of food choices and more booths for people with smaller crowds to sit at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Milk River, April 10, 2014LadySavvyDined on 4/10/2014I came here with an out of town visitor for the first time. I was so impressed the moment I walked in. An art deco space, great for a first dge. The unisex bathroom space was very impressive. The bar is a nice size and gorgeous. There was a mariachi band that added a nice touch to the atmosphere and ambiance. I had the crab cakes as an appetizer, shrimp salad, and side of the seasonal vegetable fried rice. My friend had the pineapple jerk wings as an appetizer, and the salmon as an entree. We had no issues sharing. the dessert was just awesome. I had the icecream cake and my friend had the apple oatmeal cobbler a la mode. The martini I had was fine as well as the service.Special Features:
- Bit expensiveYaYaDined on 4/9/2014Great atmosphere! Small menu and but food is really good. Tad bit pricey.Special Features:
- Birthday FunSonyDined on 4/9/2014I decided to come here for dinner on my birthday and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it may be a bit dead in their because it was a Wednesday evening but they had a live band and they even called me up to sing happy birthday. It was a great experience and the food was delicious!! I would definitely return.Special Features:
- The atmosphere and food wasTamekaDined on 4/5/2014The atmosphere and food was excellent. I would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, although loud...SilisticDined on 4/4/2014I've noticed many complaints. I however find that you shouldn't listen to reviews without trying a place first. I almost completely disagree. The food was delicious. I had the braised short ribs with rice and peas, butter beans and steamed cabbage, while my family had the oven roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetable fried rice. They loved it (as did I when I had a taste) and being Trinidadian, it took them back home for a bit. I also had the rum punch. It wasn't the greatest cocktail, tasting like something I could make at home. Now as for the noise level? It's completely RIDICULOUS.. The live band was great, but volume was WAY too loud in the seating area. Service was timely, for a Fri night, Try it yourself and see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014I enjoyed Milk River this is my fourth experience at the restaurant, but the first time having dinner and I invited two friends and they also loved the food and the lounge upstairs .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely1893VIPDined on 4/2/2014It claims to be a Carribean restaurant but doesn't serve oxtail or curry goat?!?!Special Features: