817 Common Street
New Orleans, LA 70112Neighborhood:
Central Business District
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://milaneworleans.com/
- Phone: 5044122580
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Sunday: 6:30am - 10:00am; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Allison Vines-Rushing, Slade Rushing
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from MiLa
MiLa is the culmination of both the marriage of chefs Slade Rushing and Allison Vines-Rushing and their respective home states cuisines Mississippi and Louisiana. With a heavy emphasis on provisions sourced from regional farmers, MiLa fuses traditional Southern classics with fresh and surprising ingredients. Dine in an elegant yet relaxed dining room in downtown New Orleans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
MiLa reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (22)romantic (20)special occasion (15)notable wine list (10)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Such a disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We expect good things from New Orleans and had such a poor experience at MiLa. The wait was long despite a mostly empty restaurant and reservations. From the time we were eventually seated to food presentation was over 1 1/2 hours. My husbands porkchop was raw inside so we had another wait while it was cooked. Yet we still paid full price for the subpar meal.
- tasty but limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Went to MiLa with a party of 4. All was delicious. Ambiance is a little stark but attractive - I'd say the only soft items in the entire place are the napkins. They take the approach of only cooking a few things but coming them very well. Only five appetizers and maybe six or seven mains. Only one seafood dish that night, for instance. While it's nice to know everything is excellent a little more choice would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service in New OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014We just went to MiLA for a friends Bach party. We spent three hours there. We were served water. Never asked again for drink orders. An hour later ordered dinner. An hour later received cold dinner. Had checks waiting to pay for 47 minutes before we Went to the bar to pay.Special Features:
- hotel restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2014This appears to be a daytime venue, we were the only people in the restaurant at 8:30 PM The food was very good but menu limited and mostly sandwiches and salads. I had thought from a review that this was a local food to table venue and it was not. But as I said, food was very good.
- Just okaynolagirlDined on 9/21/2014We went for breakfast and although the food was good, it took 30 minutes to get a mimosa & mu husband's bloody mary was pretty bad. The breakfast buffet looked really awful. This place caters more to hotel guests who want a quick breakfast before they check out. If you go, order food & skip the buffet because the breakfast was pretty good.
- Well kept secretMattingly516Dined on 9/19/2014MiLa was outstanding. Not many patrons because of street maintenance. The food was top Mitch and the service was the absolute best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CCCBDined on 9/17/2014Our food was exceptional. Everything we had was delicious and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was great, waiter wasn'ttraveljunkieDined on 9/13/2014The greatness of the food could not compensate for what our waiter lacked. The restaurant wasn't busy- I could only see three other tables of people, yet our waiter seemed aloof and distracted. Among a few things, he spilled my soup on me, and didn't know what to do, I had to ask him to please get me something to clean it up with... If you get any other waiter, I'm sure your experience will be great!Special Features:
- How soon can I go back?artloverVIPDined on 9/13/2014Easily the best meal I had in New Orleans. We booked this because it was close to our hotel on Canal St. & the reviews looked reasonably good. The service was attentive without being overbearing. The food was amazing. I'm still trying to copy the cream cheese polenta. The skirt steak was tender & perfectly cooked. The banana creme brulee for dessert was to die for. Even sharing with my husband, the portion was generous. The music was was restaurant music should be - subtle background ambiance. I would definitely go back if I ever find myself in New Orleans again.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I was pretty let down. Was there on business, and we did have some amazing soup. Everything else lacked severely. The waiter was abysmal. He kept refilling my glass with the wrong thing. I was given 3 different beverages over the course of lunch. Plus, our waiter went MIA for a while. Service was slow and the place had at least a 1:1 ratio of waiters to tables (it was empty). Worst of all, I ordered the lamb burger. It was supposed to be medium. It was raw on the inside...like raw raw. Took forever to get another one. That one, of course, was over cooked...but at least it was edible. No comp on the bill. When you're paying between $15-20 for lunch entrees and $9 for soup (even amazing soup), the lunch should be much better.
- Food & ServiceNOLAdinerDined on 8/23/2014When we viewed the menu we were a little apprehensive due to the limited choices. Wow! It didn't matter. Two appetizers & entree's later we were amazed. One of the best meals we've had in a long time. Service was very good & unobtrusive. Go & treat yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOLA Favorite never disappointsJderekreeseDined on 8/19/2014Everything is always as it should be at Mila. Service staff is attentive and food is always perfectly prepared - presentation on plates is appetizing. Missed foie gras from menu but plenty of yummy choices to pick from. We will usually stop by on our NOLA trips as we are confident of a good meal and experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingJD2cMMDined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing and the drinks were wonderful! The service was fantastic as well. We had a great time!Special Features:
- ConfusedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is consistently rated as one of the top dining destinations in the city. I do not understand why. We had dinner on a Saturday night, the place was empty. We made a last second reservation and other places were booked, so I know it was not the summer time doldrums. I was not sure if the waiter was drunk or stoned. It took approximately 15 minutes to get our drinks. Food arrived with no silverware. He waited for us to hand him our plates. We ordered several apps to share. The oyster salad had minuscule oysters, so small the batter was falling off of them - other restaurants seem to not have a problem with oyster size this time of year. There were problems with the other dishes too. The highlight of the meal was the dessert.
- Oustanding. Diverse menu.ChillPillDined on 7/30/2014Superb food and ambiance. The sweetbreads were amazing, as was the lobster salad. The tuna was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, elegant, quietRoseanneDined on 7/15/2014We enjoyed dinner at MiLa on a weeknight, perhaps that was why it was quiet. We could have a conversation with our guests and relax the elegant dining room. The waiter's attention to our group was perfect, not too much the, not too little. We ordered the saucteed Atlantic Salmon, Vadouvan Spiced Monkfish, and the terrific Crispy Baby French Chicken. The portions were generous especially the chicken. We passed on ordering the most popular Pan-Seared Sweetbreads to save room for dessert; sorbet, ice cream, and the Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding (Wow!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in quiet settingthepopsterVIPDined on 7/11/2014MiLa continues to serve outstanding food thoughtfully prepared in a space where you can have a conversation with friends. If one were to rate food quality, service and noise level, MiLa would certainly be in the top three of New Orleans restaurants.Special Features:
- was there for breakfastfishccyVIPDined on 6/17/2014decent breakfast like in most hotels, was hoping to see some special items from the lunch/dinner menu though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodLadyluckDined on 6/10/2014Our meals were amazing. Good portion size. Should try to make the restaurant more visible from baronne street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchpamelaidaDined on 6/10/2014We thoroughly enjoyed lunch at Mila. They have some of the best salads I have eaten. The Crabmeat Chef salad is excellent and the Fried oyster salad was simple but excellent. For the first time ever I ate the Sunchoke soup. This rare vegetable made for an excellent and unque soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidatlantaVIPDined on 6/5/2014In a great city for dining, this one is just not up to the competition. Very unenthusiastic staff and boring ambience. The food was good but not memorable.
- The following 791 reviews are from the MiLa reviews archive.
- Go somewhere else...Celebr8foodVIPDined on 5/18/2014Started out with 3 requests to get one Bloody Mary at brunch. Then another person at our table asked for a drink....again, it took three requests including trips to the bar asking the bartender directly for the drinks. I asked if it was a problem since we had to ask 6 times for 2 drinks. Very lackluster response from the hostess, too busy folding napkins to apologize, get the drink right away.....the server was totally out of it, and the restaurant was not that busy. Wow, with such a foodie town I don't know how this place stays in business. Probably since it is in the hotel it gets the too lazy to step outside guests to eat there. Take my advice - don't go here.
- Outstanding food!SprecksDined on 5/17/2014Foodie friends visiting from CO. This was our 3rd restaurant in 3 nights. Each course blew us away. OUTSTANDING!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every morsel was wonderful!lotsatravelVIPDined on 5/17/2014We went to Mila early before going to the Saenger Theatre. It is a great spot to dine before going to the show because you can walk there. But what we loved most was each course was wonderful! We shared the soup and the delicious corn and crab salad. They were both excellent! Both of our fish entrees were equally delicious, with very interesting ingredients surrounding them. For dessert, we had the root beer float, which is not what you think. If you are adventurous, you should try it. We would order all of these again, for our dinner was wonderful!Special Features:
- Mixed experienceItaliangirlDined on 5/16/2014Very romantic and atmospheric, with great appetizers and some lovely food. Unfortunately, the steaks we ordered, although well-prepared, were tough. Given the price, that was a disappointment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014Food and wine for lunch were divine. All the choices seemed good. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding mealFoodieEckDined on 5/8/2014The sweetbreads appetizer and the lobster appetizer are both exceptional. All other food items we tried were also great! Would love to go again, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealLisaVIPDined on 5/2/2014We had a great meal and excellent service! Oyster salad was outstanding, duck was tender and halibut tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiLa2foodiesDined on 4/28/2014We were looking for a place that offered a selection of Southern food, so this was perfect. The tuna was excellent. Cooked perfectly and seasoned perfectly. We were both very happy with our meals. They even had a vegetarian option on the menu. The service was great. We arrived early, they seated us early. They were very attentive. Our waiter seemed to always appear right when we needed him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEHSECpplDined on 4/26/2014We ate here on a double date and I chose it because I read that they were able to accommodate gluten free. The options were very limited for gluten free, and subject to the server's discretion for whether or not he thought it could be done. I wish they'd just have the chef come out. Our server warned us that the bread they brought out was terrible...and according to the others in my party, it was! Our appetizers were the SMALLEST plates I have ever seen. I would expect those portions to be for one! Our food was so-so..tuna and steaks were pretty good, and the chicken had a great flavor but a too tough. The duck came out looking like a mound of tar, especially in the LOW lighting. This place is nothing to rave about. Just another pricey spotSpecial Features:
- Best meal in New Orleans!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014The food we had a MiLa was the best we had in New Orleans. That includes eating at Nola and 2 of John Besh's resturants. I would strongly advise eating there.Special Features:
- Very good service and food.ChipDined on 4/15/2014Awesome location for getting back in touch with friends and taking time to relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dealRoyTDined on 4/11/2014Mila was a dinning gem. The chief sent out a delightful dish for us to try and it was simply delicious. The service was great. Our waiter was attentive and responsive. The food was well prepared and tasty, not too much, just enough, great flavors. The desert, wish I could have taken back to my room so I could use my hands to eat it. It was wonderful. Price, a little on the pricey side but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in New OrleansgaryVIPDined on 4/4/2014Went there on 4.4.14 and the food was awesome. We both had the fried oyster salad that was superb. It wasn't a salad dressed up with a few fried oysters thrown on top. The oysters were worked into the texture of the salad. Just great. I had the sauteed drum with Vadouvan spices (french curry) that was outstanding. These people really know what they are cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best hidden restaurantmck738VIPDined on 4/1/2014great food times two--just not quite in the usual tourist location but convenient to everythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in Business DistrictNOLANativeVIPDined on 3/29/2014MilA started off very good several years ago and continues to improve and is one of my favorites downtown. The menu changes regularly but always provides wonderful new additions. It is rarely full and never noisy. Perfect place to relax with a terrific meal and great service. Also great for business meetings where you can actually hear who you are talking with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Choice!TaylorDined on 3/29/2014In a city FULL of wonderful dining options, MiLa's was a fabulous choice. The chief had wonderful flavors in every part of our meal.... And the bartender.... He rocks! Everything about our dinner was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiLa is a favoritedelta3Dined on 3/25/2014Our visit to NOLA this time was an unplanned one, but fortunately we were in a hotel less than two blocks from MiLa, one of our all-time favorites. We ate there twice, both at night, and both times our meals were top-notch. I especially liked the celery root soup, but everything we ordered on the menu was extraordinary. The green salad, with its lemony dressing, was spectacular. All praises to this fine restaurant; may it enjoy many successful years.Special Features:
- milaKpcmjcDined on 3/22/2014Food was good but felt to be overpriced. Nice atmosphere, romantic.
- What a pleasant surprise!Okla2NolaVIPDined on 3/22/2014Went to Mila's our first night in NO because everything was booked already on a Saturday night. Food was outstanding! Everything was so fresh & prepared perfectly. Combination of flavors & creativity is unmatched anywhere. Presentation was wonderful. The amuse was lobster pho which left us wanting a bowl not just a bite! The sweet potato rolls & lima bean puree was just amazing.the organic lettuce salad was perfect with lemonette dressing, watermelon radish & cucumber. Highly recommend the blackened drum & bacon wrapped tenderloin. So glad we discovered MILA. We are going back again this week for our last night in NO and MILA will be on our list of musts for every visit in the future!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.