Mike's on the Avenue
628 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Mike's on the Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mikesontheavenue.com/
- Phone: 5045237600
- Hours of Operation:
All Day Monday - Friday 11:30 am- 10:00 pm Dinner: Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Mike Fennelly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether you’re planning an intimate gathering of friends, a corporate cocktail reception, rehearsal dinner or celebrating one of life’s milestone occasions—Mike's on the Avenue can help you create a stylish gathering that is deliciously memorable.
Mike's open, gallery- inspired space with soaring twenty-foot ceilings and glass walls overlooking historic St. Charles Avenue creates an eye-popping visual counterpart to Mike's wonderful cuisine.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you’re planning an intimate gathering of friends, a corporate cocktail reception, rehearsal dinner or celebrating one of life’s milestone occasions—Mike's on the Avenue can help you create a stylish gathering that is deliciously memorable. Mike's open, gallery- inspired space with soaring twenty-foot ceilings and glass walls overlooking historic St. Charles Avenue creates an eye-popping visual counterpart to Mike's wonderful cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Vicky Bayley 5045237600
- Entertainment: Twist is a high energy cocktail bar that offers entertainment for events and private parties.
- Special Events: Perfect for hosting large fundraisers or small networking events. We have two large bars, plenty of seating and room for a live auction, silent auction and live entertainment or a D.J. We can display slide shows, pictures and videos over our 8 "52" flat screen T.V.'s. Follow us on Twitter or facebook to catch our next "house event".
- Cross Street: Girod
- Public Transit: The St. Charles Street Car stops at the Corner of St. Charles Avenue and Girod Street in Front of Mike's.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Central Parking has a public parking lot 1/2 block away on St Charles Avenue by Le Chat Noir for $6 or street parking around Lafayette Square.
A word from Mike's on the Avenue
Restaurateur Vicky Bayley and Chef/Artist Mike Fennelly, the creators of the highly acclaimed Mike’s on the Avenue, have returned to the site of their original restaurant in the Central Business District at 628 St. Charles Avenue. Mike's on the Avenue, on the ground floor of the Lafayette Hotel at Lafayette Square, is similar to the original version of Mike's in both food and atmosphere, but with many additional menu options and a new interior that once again reflects Fennelly's talents as an artist and designer. The chef's culinary approach is decidedly contemporary and draws from ingredients that have inspired him during his extensive travels over the years. Many of his dishes contrast Asian and Louisiana ingredients and techniques, bringing a bold-distinctive sensibility to his cooking. Much of Fennelly's food also reflects his fascination with New Orleans cuisine and the indigenous ingredients of South Louisiana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mike's on the Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
- Pure Class, great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Went on a double date here for New Years Eve. It was very romantic with a great ambiance. Everyone was really festive and dressed nicely. The service was fantastic. The food was awesome. There was a special menu of course in which there was three courses. My favorite was the seared tuna. Though pricey, it was worth every penny. Would come back for another special occasion!Special Features:
- We dined at Mike's on theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012We dined at Mike's on the Avenue for New Year's Eve in a group of five. The service was well-paced, the food was fantastic and we loved the overall atmosphere. Would definitely recommend this place to others.Special Features:
- A New Orleans treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2012One of our great dining experiences. Mike's is a New Orleans treasure, and we'll be back.Special Features:
- Mike's is a favorite of ours!nola504VIPDined on 12/24/2012The four of us dined for Christmas Eve. They had 2 prix-fix menues to choose from. The 3 of us that ordered the passion fruit glazed pork chop loved it! One member of our party ordered the steak and oyster dressing and found it to be too small as an entree. The bread budding dessert was very good. I personally love going to this restaurant, and enjoy a cocktail or two at Twist. I hope they bring back the Rosemary's Baby cocktail, as it was no longer on the menu, but fortunately, our bartender was able to prepare them for us. Kudos to the staff. Everyone was aswesome!Special Features:
- We opted for the ReveillonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2012We opted for the Reveillon menu as we have done at 3 other restaurants within the last month. The requirement for the entire party to order the Reveillon is understandable when you have a large party but we were only 3 and were told since one person wanted Reveillon we were all required to order it. Quality and quantity of food were both way below acceptable. For the price it was almost laughable. In a city where we are fortunate enough to have so many great restaurants I am quite frankly amazed this establishment is still open.
- The only complaint is theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012The only complaint is the service was very slow. I noticed all the tables were slow so it wasn't just our table We were seated in time but it took 1 1/2 hours to get the first course. The waiter kept apologizing. They could have at least sent out bread.
- The kitchen took the nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2012The kitchen took the night off. Party of 7. The food came out barely warm -no hot. This includes both appitivers and entrees. We had the food taken back and nuked. No what should be tolerated in a supposedly top of the line restaurant. We were only one of two tables with diners so the kitchen was hardly over-taxed. The food was mostly very good after it was headed properly. The waited do an excellent job handling a bad situation.
- The food was good. Nice spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012The food was good. Nice spot in the Arts/Warehouse District. We had issues with the waiter and his "sense of humor" which was not appreciated. However, I would go backSpecial Features:
- It was evident when we arrivedKenAVIPDined on 10/27/2012It was evident when we arrived that they were understaffed. No hostess for several minutes. Items that were on the current web menu were no longer available. My wife ordered two appetizers that came out twenty minutes later including luke warm gumbo and pot stickers. We did not wait for main courses and left for another spot. Also VERY loud there.
- They seemed slightly understaffed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012They seemed slightly understaffed. Only saw 3 waiters and 1 bartender making everyone's drinks. Other than that, a great place to dine. Food was different, but very tastey.Special Features:
- Service was average not veryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/26/2012Service was average not very helpful. Party of 6 one of us had cold food, 2 of us had food that was almost too salty too eat. 1 of us had a great steak. Would have sent food back but had tickets for theatre and couldn't delay dinner. a lot of money for very mediocre food and service.
- Was very pleased with meal.DineinwdcDined on 10/15/2012Was very pleased with meal. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere, fun waiter,EatNolaDined on 10/10/2012Fun atmosphere, fun waiter, some dishes fabulous but a couple were our disappointing.Special Features:
- The restaurant was quiet because7savage58Dined on 10/6/2012The restaurant was quiet because there was very few people there. It was a 6pm reservation though. That would usually be a red flag, but surprisingly the food and the service were both very good and I would go there again.Special Features:
- Needs a menu revampOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2012Positives: Mike is also an artist so he designed the servers ties and most of the art in the dining room. Plating was beautiful with the use of rock salts, banana leaves, etc Atmosphere was elegant and I loved the handblown glassware Negatives: As a local foodie, the menu lacked. I had a hard time finding a dish that I was excited to eat. The bouillabase was so bland and disappointing My single tanguaray was $10 ? How much was the Hendricks,$15? Overall, we wont be back. We ordered one app, cup of gumbo, one entree and 2 drinks each for $120 and left unsatisfied
- It was nice. Suprisingly,TrepDined on 9/28/2012It was nice. Suprisingly, very good. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Lovely romantic dinnerChanterelleVIPDined on 9/25/2012We were very pleased with our meal at Mike's on the Avenue. Husband's duck dish was perfectly cooked. We had a lovely table overlooking Lafayette Park. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- The duck was wonderful! IfTraceyDined on 9/20/2012The duck was wonderful! If it is a specialty of the house I would recommend it! Mike's salad was great!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2012The scene is very subtle and romantic, however the food is what makes the restaurant. The food has a very unique flavor (it's fresh and light).Special Features:
- Would recommend.eatoutDined on 9/14/2012We had a great time and enjoyed our dinner. Our server was a bit inexperienced, but not likely indicative of the overall service of the restaurant. Very good appetizers--nice flavors. If I had to nit pick, I would say the shrimp dumplings could have been more delicate (read: thinner dumpling) and the brie flatbread could have been a bit thinner. But that's picking. I had a great filet with an amazing steak sauce and green chile mashed potatoes. My dining partner had the bouillabaisse packed with fresh seafood and al dente veggies--not a traditional preparation but good. Would recommend this place.Special Features:
- DisappointedLuvsteakDined on 9/13/2012We went to this restaurant during Louisiana seafood restaurant week. I was extremely disappointed at the portion size and I am sure it was because of the cost during this promotion. But, in my opinion, during this promotion week is when you try to get some loyal customers so that they will return to visit your restaurant again and again. We visited a few restaurants this week and this one was probably our least favorite. I do not think we will be visiting this restaurant again. Service was almost non existent. I think they were very short handed. Our bread pudding which was supposed to have won an award was cold and dry.
- We popped in for a late lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2012We popped in for a late lunch so not a lot of diners at that time. Lovely bright space. Mike's was participating in a New Orleans-wide seafood lunch special where you got an appetizer, entree and dessert. My son-in-law had the salmon special and everything looked and tasted fabulous. Would definitely go again. I liked the Asian Fusion menu.Special Features:
- Would not returnAnnKVIPDined on 9/13/2012Very casual restaurant. Food was unusual. I think the group expected a fancier restaurant. Drinks were not strong enough. Best thing was the dessert...bread pudding with chocolate and whiskey sauce. Service was very slow.Special Features:
- I am a native New Orleanian,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2012I am a native New Orleanian, so my expectations are pretty high when it comes to food. Many times note able restaraunts do not live up to the hype. I went to Mike's on the Avenue during Louisiana Seafood Week, and I'm going again three days later!Special Features:
- Very much enjoyed my lunchimsimplyDined on 9/12/2012Very much enjoyed my lunch dining experience. Amberjack dish was fantastic!Special Features:
- Fusion surpriseDennyJDined on 9/11/2012This creative St. Charles gem has a contemporary fusion menu. It's not your typical Nola food. The Amberjack fish, bronzed and skewered on sugar cane will not disappoint.Special Features:
- Old Friend RediscoveredOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/8/2012I had not been to this restaurant since it reopened in the same spot after having been closed for many years. Wow. Even better than I remember. Food is great, service is great and you can get great special offers from the restaurant's website. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- We had a great dinner. ThereBillMcKinney1986Dined on 9/7/2012We had a great dinner. There were 18 of us, and they didn't have any problem keeping up with food. The $35 4 course dinner was a really great value. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Considering I was there onOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2012Considering I was there on the coatails of Isaac, and restaurants menues were limited to their ability to get deliveries, Mike's did a great job putting together some awesome menue items.Special Features:
- Despite some changes in theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2012Despite some changes in the various dishes that were available (due to the approach of Hurricane Isaac), the overall experience was excellent. Food, particularly desserts, outstanding!
- Mike's made a special mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012Mike's made a special meal for our family memorable. Our daughter is a freshman at Tulane U. and thought Mike's looked nice when we walked by during our visit for Orientation weekend. We decided to have our celebration of the start of her Tulane career there. Mike's didn't disappoint. Our waiter (sorry, but I don't remember his name) was very helpful. The appetizers and entrees were fabulous and I want to go back ASAP for the lemon souffle dessert (I live in NJ). We will be back during a future visit to NOLA.Special Features:
- Coolinary LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012Mike's was a great mid-day spot. We overlooked Lafayette Square as we enjoyed our 'Coolinary' lunch. The special selection was varied enough to entice us there and the food was delicious. The grilled amberjack came with a sweet and sour sauce that was not too sweet - just right. The rice cake with lump crabmeat was an unexpected delicate side with perfectly prepared asparagus. The chocolate bread pudding and lemon souffle' were both light with just the right amount of sweet to finish the meal. And we were pleasantly surprised by a special on champagne cocktails when we arrived. Our waiter seemed a little overwhelmed and not particularly personable, and he took a while to arrive to take our order, but we enjoyed our meal.Special Features:
- Really Enjoyed Mike'sNOLocalDined on 8/10/2012Took a couple of friends to Mike's and overall we enjoyed our food and service. Found the drinks on the "pricy" side but overall we had a great time. For dinner we had as appetizers, the oysters and the gumbo, and our main courses, the amberjack and steak. All were cooked perfect and delicious. Their break pudding was also awesome! Would certainly go back to Mike's again.Special Features:
- The food was delicious, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2012The food was delicious, but the service of the food coming out of the kitchen took extremely long. It took 2 1/2 hours for us to get our complete meal. Great place to go if you have hours to spend dining.
- Food was fair but very smallOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2012Food was fair but very small portions. Service was good just a little slow. Price was great.Special Features:
- A great place to dine in New Orlea.BZanoDined on 8/4/2012A great restaurants ith reasonable rates in a nice area of town. Will always go back there when visiting NOLA.Special Features:
- Only went because I foundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2012Only went because I found coupons for a great deal online, but so glad I did! This place was amazing! Great value for an exquisite meal! Don't expect to see salt or pepper on the table here- the chef is more than confident of his ability to put out an amazing meal!Special Features:
- Fantastic EveningALA50VIPDined on 8/3/2012Mike's On the Avenue was fantastic!!! Everythng was top-notch and the waiter was very friendly and knewledgable about the different menu items. HIGHLY recommend this restaurant to everyone!!!Special Features:
- Vicky Bayley has done a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2012Vicky Bayley has done a great job in bringing back the best of Mike's and making her guests feel welcome and comfortable in wonderful surroundings. The menu and food quality are consistently great.Special Features:
- The food was very good andsouthernfoodieDined on 7/20/2012The food was very good and we all had a wonderful time!Special Features: