Edmonton, AB T6N 1L5Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Mikado Japanese Cuisine - Southside
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mikadorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7804324500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30 Am - 4:00 Pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00 Pm - 10:00 Pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00 Pm - 11:00 Pm, Sunday: 4:00 Pm - 9:00 Pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Yuwa Sakaguchi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Our private rooms are complete with two types of seating styles: the traditional Japanese style tatami rooms or the more modern tables & chairs.
- Private Party Contact: Tomoya 7804324500
Mikado has many customers who have continued to visit since opening in 1972.
Mikado relocated in 1989, modernized the interior design & business increased.
Since that time, we have strived to be "Precious moments with precious people.
”In the spring of 2004 a second location was opened up on the Southside.
Mikado has many unique qualities, such as the importing of fresh fish from Japan on weekends.
Visit us to experience the food, service & atmosphere that is only available at Mikado.
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
- Great foodqwhackerDined on 8/11/2014I'm not really too exotic with my food, and Mikado has an awesome selection that doesn't really intimidate us newbies. Great atmosphere tooSpecial Features:
- Great Japanese Foodseafood2die4Dined on 8/10/2014This is a great restaurant for a good variety of Japanese food, attentive and fast service, and comfortable seating. There are open areas and also booths and rooms for quiet conversation. It is best to make a reservation as this is a busy spot. When a reservation is made on their website there is a space to write your preferences, like seating arrangement requests. I highly recommend this restaurant for one person, or many. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great FoodANSDDined on 8/3/2014We've been to Mikado Southside alot and it never fails that the food we get from there is always top knotch and always the same. Doesn't matter if we haven't been there in over a month the quality food is still there which will definitely keeping us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great especially the serviceKikideanDined on 7/16/2014Mai at Mikado SEC was the consummate server. She made our daughters birthday a special event. Very attentive, polite and thorough. The sashimi is always fresh and beef tataki presentation beautiful. No complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFoodRaverDined on 7/12/2014Took my friend here because her husband doesn't like to try new foods but she does. She loved it and I showed her that there are foods that her husband would like offered on the menu as well. She was impressed and plans to bring her family there next time. Great service and food as always. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Edmonton's FinestdimsumfanDined on 6/29/2014I've enjoyed Mikado for many years. Initially it was the write up in the paper about the "sushi pizza" that drew me in but Mikado has so much more to offer than that. The food is amazing. The variety of dishes such that you can order something new every time. Staff is friendly and and efficient. I recommend this place to anyone who asks me where to go for dinner in Edmonton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itMeatsweatsDined on 5/28/2014Honestly I travel a lot and I travel for food sometimes and it's never a disappointment here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's all the hoopla about?GrazerDined on 5/27/2014This is my 3rd visit there, and 1st through Open Table. The service we received fell short of expectations. Being a Tuesday night, the restaurant wasn't busy. Yet we waited almost an hour for the food to arrive. No explanation nor apology was offered for the tardy service either. When we asked for the bill and I asked for change back, the waitress reminded us there was no service charge as if she was afraid we were not going to tip her. We did but not the customary 15%. Would seriously consider going back there again.Special Features:
- The following 122 reviews are from the Mikado Japanese Cuisine - Southside reviews archive.
- Great Lunch with a First Time GuestKimberDined on 4/25/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the service and the large portions of food! The staff was very attentive and gracious which impressed my lunch partner as it was her first time there. I would definitely go back for lunch or dinner for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanDined on 4/18/2014I like it at all and i am a regular customer! Just a improvement suggestion: let us do reservations throught opentable after 5pm please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014The service and food were great. We made reservations online and were seated right away. The food was brought out quickly and the rolls were good size and delicious. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sashimiShoshanaDined on 1/17/2014This place is as good as it gets! Great food and phenominal service!Special Features:
- SatisfiedHappyCustomerDined on 1/11/2014Had a great time at Mikado southside. It was my first time booking online and requested tatami room. Booking was achieved and we were seated in a tatami room. Food was great, as always. Server was very friendly and accommodating. The only thing that we noticed is how the dragon eyes' portion is now smaller (with the price) and the taste is a little bit bland than it used to be. Overall, we all have a great time and will consider Mikado in our future dining destination.Special Features:
- Nice and quiet during the weekOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/6/2014My wife and I were celebrating a special occasion, and as we were visiting during the week the restaurant was not busy. Service was very fast, food was good, and it was pleasantly quiet. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nicekmacd11VIPDined on 1/4/2014This was my first time at Mikado and I will make sure to come again. They have a great box concept which allows you to try different things in one meal and perfectly set for one portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usual & our serverEPountneyDined on 12/30/2013Excellent as usual & our server was very good as well.Our favourite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013Great restaurant. Did not eat in the private rooms, only in the main dining area. Found the tables for 2 a little close together. Felt like I was dining with the strangers in the table beside us. Staff were very attentive an food was great. I recommend trying one of there flavoured saki's. We look forward to returning again.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerYumFoodDined on 12/12/2013Mikado was accommodating in reserving a room for us and holding the reservation due to traffic. Service and food was great. Mikado does some of the food items the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TreatgoodeatsDined on 11/25/2013Food was nicely prepared and beautifully represented. Staff was friendly and helpful, although it did take awhile for the waitress to come to our table. Enjoyed my lunch bento box and would definately eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodofficialcoopyDined on 10/19/2013I love their Sushi. I haven't been to Japan, so I don't know what authentic tastes like, but the fish tastes pretty damn fresh here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, BAD serviceKatieBDined on 10/5/2013The food was good, as always. Our service, however, was awful. We waited at least 15 minutes before someone took our order, and it wasn't even our waitress. When our waitress finally came, you couldn't hear a word she said. We will be back because we love the food, but if this was our first time, based on service alone, we would never return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent PlaceANSDDined on 9/24/2013We had a really great time, the food was amazing and service was great! They have a very large menu so there is something for everyone at this restaurant. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a little unorganizedjndiayeDined on 9/20/2013I requested a private room for my husband and I. We made the reservation on open table and when e arrived, we were informed that we could only request a private room if we made the reso over the phone. I was not too happy about this and after complaining they finally put us into a room. The service and food were very good once we actually got in the room. The prices are a bit expensive but it is a good once in a while place to go.Special Features:
- Excellent as always,our grandsons,1EPountneyDined on 8/5/2013Excellent as always,our grandsons,11 yrs& 7yrs old think this is an awesome restaurant. Especially that we had a special room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time, loved it!JazzVIPDined on 7/24/2013I am not a Japan-food nor Sushi fan. However the meal (Bento Box at lunch) was truly excellent. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fresh sushiRobbybrownDined on 7/20/2013We had the sushi boat and it was perfect for two people. Very fresh and I was very impressed with the taste. I will be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mikado ExperienceWineandDineVIPDined on 7/18/2013The sushi was amazing but the service was sub standard. It took the server forever to bring the food and bill and even longer for the machine to pay. We waited for about 10-15 minutes for her to bring the Interac machine. We find the Mikado West end location more enjoyable than the other locations due to the quality of service and atmosphere. Out of the three locations the south side has the worst ambiance.Special Features:
- Good fusion rolls, buuutNovaScotiaDined on 6/29/2013The creativity of the rolls was great, and they were tasty, but I also like to have some traditional rolls with my fusion stuff. Overall, though, very tasty and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double DateyumyumDined on 6/29/2013We had a great time trying new things at Mikados for our double date. We ordered the coast to coast (which comes served on a wooden boat) There was enough sashimi (pardon my spelling) and sushi for all four of us. We also had 2 orders of the fantastic dragon eyes (a must have!) Had great time in one of the private rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2013We always enjoy our twice-a-year visits to Mikado South. The staff is invariably cute and friendly, the food is always terrific, and so is the sake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mikado is always a great stapleShoshanaDined on 6/20/2013Great, fresh food as always. Service was excpetionally fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great birthday place!DiniDined on 6/14/2013It was my son's birthday, we were seated iin a tatami room & they gave him a dish of green tea ice cream at the end. The Dragon Eye's & tofu tapas were delicious! We had bento boxes all around & all were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun girls nightgr8n8toutDined on 5/18/2013Great food and service. Two of my friends have never been before and enjoyed themselves. We will all be coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is mediocre. Was disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013Food is mediocre. Was disappointed at one of the cooked beef dishes. The menu said with melt cheese like texture on the beef . When it was actually on the table, I did not find any melt cheese like texture on the beef, and the beef was somewhat dry.
- Birthday Party ExcellenceFrugalFoodieDined on 4/6/2013Came for my daughter's 14th birthday party and booked a Tatami room, which is why I listed this as quiet. If you are not in a room, the noise level is much higher because this is such a hot spot. The service was extraordinary, attention to detail and speed and efficiency second to none. We brought our own cake and it was brought to the table at the exact perfect moment. Everything fresh and delicious with the exception of the spider roll, whose crab meat I felt was overcooked. Everything else was perfect. It is the perfect spot for a very special occaision. *If you want a tatami room, you must book ahead!Special Features:
- Good food. Good service. NicechatchewDined on 3/29/2013Good food. Good service. Nice environment for talking. I'll come back.
- My table had the Miso soupOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013My table had the Miso soup dragon eyes and the avocado tempura roll. The presentation was excellent. The only problem I had was that the avocado was more mushy than I like.Special Features:
- The food was great. We dinedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/13/2013The food was great. We dined early in the evening so the service was fast and the restaurant was quiet. I am relatively new to sushi and this was a great experience for me.Special Features:
- Honestly one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Honestly one of my favorite restaurants. Atmosphere is always good and the food never disappoints!Special Features:
- Wish they were open till atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013Wish they were open till at least 11pm through the week Mon-Thurs Other than that everything was great.Special Features: