Mijares Mexican Restaurant
145 Palmetto Drive
Pasadena, CA 91105Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mijares Mexican Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mijaresrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6267922763
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Antonio Campos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Full off premise catering. We cater from 25 to 500 guests. Partial or full bar is available. Our catering menus are available on our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Jesucita's Banquet Room holds 100 people or more with the adjoining patios. Great for birthdays, anniversaries, wedding rehearsal dinners, graduations, business seminars, (breakfast and lunch) meetings, fundraisers, showers, baptismals, and quincenieras. Dance floor, bar, and restrooms. Beautifully decorated with eight Mexican chandeliers.
- Private Party Contact: Maria or Arlene 626-792-2763
- Entertainment: Trio Tesorito is a strolling trio that serenades our customers Friday and Saturday nights from 6-9pm and Sundays during Brunch from 10-2pm.
- Cross Street: Pasadena Ave.
- Public Transit: Bus stop at California Blvd. and Fair Oaks Avenue or the Metro Gold Line to the Fillmore Station.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have parking in our parking lot. Enter our lot from Pasadena Avenue. There is unlimited street parking and a private lot across the street.
A word from Mijares Mexican Restaurant
Over 92 years ago Jesucita Mijares fled the revolution in Mexico searching for a new life for her family. After settling in Pasadena she opened a small tortilla factory. It quickly became known for its tiny restaurant featuring Jesucitas's original recipes, tortillas, tamales, and sauces made with her metate stone grinder carried from Mexico.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Mijares Mexican Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Mijares Mexican Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (6)special occasion (5)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)fit for foodies (1)scenic view (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Had a great time!!SoCalGalDined on 10/4/2014I joined some long time friends and their 2 1/2 year old grandson. We could laugh and talk, there were crayons for the youngster, and the Mariaichi band added nicely to the ambiance. Good food selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKLAnativesVIPDined on 9/25/2014As a Pasadena native, I have dined at Mijares many times over the years, and just recently went again. Maybe times and/or tastes have changed, but the food was so average, the salsa blah, the chips cold, the skinny Margarita simply lemony water -- dreadful all around. I'm sure there are still many local patrons, and the bar was lively and filled with an older crowd, and there is a pretty outside patio, but the ample, airconditioned dining room, even on a hot Thursday night, was nearly empty. Taco salad with broccoli, (weird but might have worked?) but didn't, with tough green stalks and grisly meat. The tamale, weirdly sauced. My friends seemed to enjoy their fajitas, but I was sorry to have recommended this place.Special Features:
- Delicious !SavydinerDined on 9/12/2014The food was delicious and the service was really good. Nice to have a traditional Mexican Resturant here in Pasadena that has such great history!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay Mexican Food for GringosOsprey4356VIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was okay. Not bad. Not outstanding. They will try to suck you in with their homemade guacamole made table-side. It's really expensive and not worth it. Too much beans and rice with the meal.Special Features:
- Eh...DilloDined on 7/27/2014I love brunch but at this place??? We had I don't know how many waiters. I take advantage of my unlimited mimosas but I kept having to flag someone down at This place!! The first mimosa can in a hug glass with tons of ice and ok!!! What!??? So our next round we asked without ice and finally got it in a flute.. I read all the reviews And thought this would be a fun place but all I got was a wild goose chase for a waiter..
- Authentic Mexican CuisineLuvgoodfoodDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant is one of the best Mexican restaurants around. The food is authentic and delicious, the atmosphere is wonderful, and the service is excellent. I'm so happy this place has continued through the years. I went there years ago when I was in high school, and now it's fun to share it with my kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, patio needs makeover!foodieDined on 7/9/2014Great food, noise pretty loud, patio in desperate need of makeover, service gets worse as number of people increases.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mijares is Wonderfulluv2dineoutLADined on 6/28/2014I made a reservation at the last minute through Open Table for a 6 of us. I didn't specify that I wanted to sit outside and when I got to the restaurant, Tom, the manager moved us outside when I requested that we be moved. He couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The restaurant was crowded, but he made it work. The service and food were fantastic. Highly recommended. There's a reason that this restaurant has been around for 90+ years.Special Features:
- The following 66 reviews are from the Mijares Mexican Restaurant reviews archive.
- excellentDelishoshoDined on 6/21/2014I had heard about this restaurant through family and because my cousin contracted the trio that sings there and decided to take my parents for breakfast. The hostess and waiter who assisted us to our table were very friendly and the waiter Alfredo who attended us was awesome! The food was delicious and you are able to tell that its fresh Mexican food and not canned food .... my family and I give it a two thumbs up and plan on going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKRKenDined on 6/15/2014Nothing special about Mijares anymore. The food is just average. It's been years since eaten there and now I remember why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very comfortableElGordoDined on 6/14/2014We've been looking for a Mexican restaurant in the area and feel like we've found one. Good food, nice atmosphere. Didn't sit on the patio but definitely plan to take advantage of it during the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very slow serviceSheldonTBDined on 6/13/2014The restaurant was not very crowded, but it was 20 minutes before anyone came over to even take our drink order. The wait staff was not very attentive. What should have been a one hour late lunch ended up being an hour and 30 minutes experience. I was disappointed in the service even though I have dined here twice previously.Special Features:
- enjoyable eveningmenumavenDined on 6/10/2014friendly, efficient , knowledgeable waiter, great grilled shrimp, authentic Mexican vibe , the best margueritas in recent memory - all at a decent price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Historic Mexican PlaceMartinDined on 6/2/2014My favorite local Mexican restaurant in Pasadena, which is way better than the franchised El Cholo. I love that it's an historical restaurant in Pasadena that also has good food, drinks, and service. Pros: Fun atmosphere, friendly staff, good salsa, historic business (90+ years), good selection of different tequilas, very spacious Cons: Parking can be difficult, guacamole could use a little more depthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ValuejamatoDined on 6/1/2014Majaries is a super spot for all comers... Great food, wonderful atmosphere, and super value. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Mother's Day DisappointmentFirstandLastTimeDined on 5/11/2014Not the experience that I expected. Door staff were friendly, and sat us outside right away, which seemed like a good thing as there were many walk-ins that did not have a reservation waiting in a long line. However, just after being seated, I went to wash my hands, and as I come back, the woman that sat us said that she erroneously placed us in an area that was "reserved", and had already told my mother that we had to move, but she was waiting for me to return from the restroom. Well naturally my 75 year old mother was mortified, when I reached her, I could see the embarrassment in her face. We were then seated in a cramped area where the waiters kept bumping into my shoulder as they passed time and time again. Had to ask for refills.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Pickyeater1VIPDined on 5/9/2014Loved, loved, loved this place. Great energy and pretty decent Mexican food. Beer list could be improved but with that said, this Mexican restaurant carried all the notable Mexican beers.Special Features:
- Lots of choices!FirstFoodieDined on 4/27/2014The Sunday brunch is a great bargain! You get tons of options! Beef, chicken, lengua, and asada tacos, omelettes, chorizo, eggs, bacon, fresh fruit (not the fruit cups) pasole, enchiladas, ribs, menudo, and lots of desserts too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 46 birthday celebrationStephlikesDined on 4/11/2014We went on a Friday night and expected a crowd. Overall the food was good, guacamole very good and the margaritas are nice. Service was good but slow at times. The noise level was too high and just made it too difficult to talk. I recommend a less busy evening but overall thumbs up.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2014Sometimes the seating gets a little crowded where it's difficult to have a dinner conversation.Special Features:
- a real classicbirdermomDined on 3/14/2014My girlfriends and I wanted a place to enjoy some top-quality margaritas and each other's company. Mijares delivered. I strongly recommend the George's Special margarita. We also loved the grilled shrimp and poblano tamale. The service was mostly fine, though sometimes we had to work to get the waiter's attention. The patio is lovey in the evening, and the live music was very professional. I've been coming here for 40 years, and it still delivers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best margarita in PasadenaChrissieDined on 3/7/2014Tortilla soup was terrible, made with beef broth? Had to send it back but they graciously replaced it with the Albondigas soup which was great. We were at our fav table on the patio. Taquitos were really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!EmilygmVIPDined on 2/16/2014There was so much to choose from, didn't know where to start! The choices I made at the brunch buffet were all great! Will definitely go back and this time bring the family.Special Features:
- ChaosKLS2013Dined on 12/28/2013We booked thru Open Table. We had a 2 year old. On arrival, they claimed not to have our reservation. Then "found" it in their computer. Then it was "lost" again. Then, "we're having some trouble with our reservations." Then, "it will be an hour." I looked over the shoulder of the person at the desk and our reservation was on the computer screen with all the right information. Many unhappy customers were milling around the front of the restaurant, so I infer that it was not just our reservation that was mishandled. Conclusion: poor management of their systems. Or worse, they simply accepted all reservations, but knew they would not have the tables available - they were counting on being able to simply make people wait an hour.
- Ignored and disappointedNotafoodyDined on 12/15/2013We were a large party that was seated in the far back corner of the outside patio. There was an extremely LOUD group also seated out there which was annoying. We were ignored the entire time, having to go to the bar to get our drinks, and several trips up to refill our own chips and salsa bowls. We had to go into the restaurant to ask for a waiter to come out...after sitting there for over a half hour. They never came back to ask if we wanted more drinks, or to ask how our meals were...nothing. We tried to flag someone down several times to get additional drinks and milder salsa, but they brought our bill w/o bringing the items requested. Of course, since we were a large party, they added in the tip for themselves.Special Features:
- Great for a PartyCathyDined on 12/8/2013We really enjoyed celebrating a family birthday at Sunday Brunch. Our server, Miguel, made sure the musicians played for us. We got to choose several of our favorite songs. The free flowing champagne contributed to the festive atmosphere. The food was good. I really liked the street tacos. The desserts were also good, I liked that they served fresh fruit along with an assortment of pastries. The Mexican hot chocolate was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mijares is the Very BestDereckDined on 12/7/2013As the former business editor of the Pasadena Star-News, I can highly recommend Mijares as the premier Mexican restaurant in Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley. When you want the very best in authentic Mexican cuisine, Mijares is the place to dine. Signed, Dereck Andrade Business Editor, Pasadena Star-News (1999-2003)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- music made the dinner !whitneyDined on 11/23/2013The 3 person walking guitar and bass playing and singing group at our table was SUCH A TREAT. They are beautifully professional Latino performers with an extensive repertoire. We ate there just before the Kingston Trio concert at Cal Tech ( Beckman) and this trio was the Latino equivalent ( tho they humbly told me of another group coming to town called " Los Trio Reyes" 3 kings in Spanish. PLUS the food ( Wahoo fish special) was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mary and DaveSpearfishermanDined on 11/7/2013Excellent food and service at reasonable price. Ample free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friends thanked me...MosecelticDined on 10/23/2013I brought a small group of people from out of town to Mijares for dinner. The large and varied menu easily accommodated everyone's taste and the waiter was even able to advise one of the group with a medical condition about the ingredients of the dishes to wish he might be sensitive. Our meals were delicious, the margaritas excellent and the service warm and efficient. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing after 97 yearsWhidbeyIslandFan1Dined on 10/18/2013My wife and I enjoyed another excellent meal after having been absent for several years because we live in the Pacific Northwest. George's Margarita was one of the best margaritas I have ever had. Both our entres were tasty and plentiful. The special treat was the strolling musicians, who played two requests for my wife as she sang along! Heartily recommend Mijares.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having previously been atKJ6TAVDined on 9/17/2013Having previously been at Mijares for lunch only, I was pleased that for a large dinner group (about 18), the service was just as prompt and professional; everyone was seated outside (perfect for the hot weather) and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Patio DiningpattimilesDined on 9/11/2013Mijares was excellent everyone in our party loved there dishes. We will definitely return to mijares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for GroupsMom2mrnickDined on 9/10/2013Our group has met at Minjare's many times over the last few years. They have always been super accommodating whether we have 25 or 5 people. The buffet works out great for us, everyone can have what they like and it is easy to divide the check!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow...bland Mex foodJacqueVIPDined on 9/1/2013Very bland Mexican food, horrible Margeritas....even the special order Petron ones!!! Service was ok but can you say loud...wow..too loud and I really was wondering why people go there....nothing worth going bad for and in face I could not wait to leave. Even the chips are bad.
- Consistently great!SocalGalVIPDined on 8/25/2013I had made reservations for patio seating for a large party. We arrived early and realized that it was too hot for outside dining. Management quickly offered us an inside option and we were seated in minutes! Excellent food and service as alwaysl!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican Food and Love the VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2013The food and drinks are delicious, very friendly staff, terrific service and really enjoy the trio band singing so beautifully!Special Features:
- MijaresCsulDnrDined on 8/9/2013Very poor dining experience. I ordered the chili verde, my wife got an appetizer platter that was a sampling of usual Mexican dishes and my son had a taco plate with rice and beans. The food was tasteless for all three dishes. My sons taco, which I tried, was made with low quality beef. It was made with groud beef which was tough and chewy. we tried this restaurant upon recommendation of some acquaintances who said it was their favorite Mexican restaurant. I really don't understand how it can be considered a good restaurant at all. I would never recommended this place to a friend.
- Had higher expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2013Being a family owned and operated business for decades, they pride themselves on that and the authenticity of their menu. My husband and I didn't find the menu selections or our dinner choices to be all that authentic. The beans and rice were standard as most restaurants serve, no options for black beans or garlic rice, etc. I order a shrimp dish and the shrimp was far from being tender. The flavor was okay but nothing I would want to order again. We were seated after waiting for nearly 15 minutes for the hostess to even show herself and then it was another 10 minutes before a waiter came to the table to take our drink order. Chips and water were put on the table after the drinks arrived, which is now 20 after being seated.Special Features:
- Company Dinner SuccessCatalinaPacAssetsDinnerDined on 7/23/2013We decided to have a company dinner at Mijares. We are a smaller company but wanted to celebrate our success and our employees' hard work. This is a great place for groups. We had a group of only 15. The outside patio is ideal and great for summer nights. Plus the margaritas are fantastic!Special Features: