Midtown Kitchen and Bar
203 N Lasalle
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Midtown Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://midtownbarchicago.com/
- Phone: 3123795086
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Luis Avila
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Select from our catering menu or ask about any of our Restaurants-America Chicago location menus. We also customize menus to fit your special needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have two floors with two full bars. We have a private dining room as well. We have the space to accomodate nearly every need.
- Private Party Contact: Jude Abella 3122220627
A word from Midtown Kitchen and Bar
Business professional meets social scene in this urban Chicago loop kitchen and bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Midtown Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/20/2013Great place for lunch. The special burger that day was very good as was the bbq chicken salad. It's good that they take reservations for lunch.Special Features:
- Could Have Been BettercrtneyvVIPDined on 8/13/2013My friend and I chose Midtown Kitchen because it's close to the Cadillac Palace Theater. We arrived and it was pretty slow. Ordered drinks and thought everything was going to be fine! But then the waitress never came back. She was playing double-duty as waitress/bartender, and we understood that, but how could a busy restaurant in the loop not be staffed enough for happy hour during the work week? There were literally 4 people working...total. So, after we finally got our food ordered we watched as it sat in the delivery window for 5-10 minutes. When it finally came, the food was good, so there's a bonus! Then we got the check and we were overcharged for our drinks. There's potential here - they just need more staff!
- For what its worthdesignsbywozDined on 8/8/2013We used this place as a meet and greet for our Light the Night walk team meeting. The server was great and the bussers were great - but the folks greeting and seating were a nightmare. We had this reservation for 3 weeks, and when I walked in to ask where the party was I got a blank stare - I clarified that I had called and spoke to Petra earlier in the day to confirm and add about 5 people to the rsvp list. I was directed to the table with a hand wave over there and arrived at a table with only 10 seats. Needless to say it took a while to get everyone on the same page. At least we had a good server and a great topic for the meeting.Special Features:
- Updated AmericanBRT2738Dined on 8/5/2013We frequent this restaurant for lunch since it is near our office. I always have the Mexicali Salad.. so good with pieces of roasted spicy pepper mixed into the greens. All of the sandwiches and other things are updated American style...not the plain jane stuff you'd get at a bar. The one thing we have found that isn't great is the fish and chips. The fish breading is dark and greasy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchJackMacDined on 7/10/2013Did a reservation for lunch because I was nervous it would be packed, but it wasn't too crowded and good/easy for lunch!Special Features:
- vegan + gluten free optionsJacqVIPDined on 6/19/2013I scheduled a big team lunch here for about 15 work friends. I let them know when I made the reservation I needed a gluten-free menu. The server acknowledged this right away and took the time to point me in the direction of excellent options for gluten-free and vegan. I had a BIG mexicali salad featuring greens, poblano pepper, black bean, pico de gallo and avocado, I reuqsted they hold the tortilla strips, chipotle ranch and cheddar. With pico de gallo and avocado, no dressing is needed! It was a very satisfying meal for lunch, the poblano peppers were a spicy, pleasant surprise!Special Features:
- We left before the food....MmmmmVIPDined on 6/14/2013Because PRIMEBAR is so good, we wanted to try this too. When we arrived another server was chatting with hostess so we couldn't get to stand to give name. She finallly moved and hostess took our name, told man to seat us at table. We waked to 2small tables together, by booths, seats 4. He pulled apart tables, pushed 1 in aisle and told us to sit there, the other 1 was reserved. As we were sitting, he asked what we'd like to drink. We hadn't even sat down, yet. He reached across to "reserved table" and gave us their flatware. I was already "rubbed the wrong way" We sat down & opened menus. No one could walk around our table as we were in the aisle. I was uncomfortable about the whole situation, so we left. Too many other good rest. choices
- Happy Hour Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2013Great place to have lunch or grab cheap eats during happy hour. Typical glammed-up bar with flat screen TVs and comfortable booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/3/2013Service was fine. The food was average at best. Portions were small for the price. I left hungry.
- Nice lunch spotSoxy12Dined on 5/30/2013Good food, moderate prices. The last time I was there, I had good service. However, on past experiences, service can tend to be a little slow. Be sure to ask for you check as soon as your food arrives - it could take awhile.Special Features:
- Poor Service, Okay FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/29/2013Service was slow even though there were not many people there. I asked them to leave out an ingredient in a cocktail (cranberry juice) and they forgot. We had to ask for water after about 15 minutes. I had ordered a side of vegetables, and I think they forgot because I had to ask for it, and it came about 5–10 minutes after my meal. The server kept hovering over us to take our plates away. I think he asked about 2 or 3 times if we were finished, as if we were being pushed out the door. I won't go back here. The restaurant was picked solely on location for a meeting with a friend downtown. I definitely would not recommend.
- From the outside, this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/14/2013From the outside, this place looks a bit run down (under the Lake Street tracks, can't see in very well), but don't let that deter you, once you're inside, it's great. I've been here twice and was pleased with my meal both times. The waitstaff is very courteous. Bonus - they're one of the few places in the area that take reservations for happy hours and lunch.Special Features:
- MehAllisonDined on 5/13/2013Midtown Kitchen and Bar has potential to be a great work hotspot. However, I found the food and service to be lacking. Our waiter was unattentive (there were only about 4 occupied tables in the place). I ordered the Popeye Salad. Boring. The brie and cornbread croutons did not add anything special and the strawberries tasted old. I might try midtown again for dinner, but I think there are better places in the loop for lunch and after dinner drinks.
- Good food, good service, wayShakekspeare1Dined on 4/26/2013Good food, good service, way too loud to hear each other talk.Special Features:
- Good food, fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/5/2013I really liked this place. They kept the kitchen open for my group which was awesome however the kitchen was closing at 9pm on a Friday night which seems ridiculous for a city restaurant. Anyway all is well that ends well. We had a great time! Pulled pork there is fantastic (my friends ordered that)! I had the burger which is also good.Special Features:
- The nachos were cold, theTommyDined on 3/15/2013The nachos were cold, the cheese barely melted. The carnitas sandwich was really just some shredded meat DROWNING in an overly sweet and thick sauce. Not good.
- Midtown is a lunch and happymmmmDined on 3/6/2013Midtown is a lunch and happy hour spot similar to several others in the loop. I came for a late lunch with a friend. My Midtown Burger (the one with the bacon and egg) was great -- highly recommended.Special Features:
- Took a large work group hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2013Took a large work group here (15) on a late Friday afternoon....even with making reservations well in advance, they were not prepared. Had only 1 bartender handling the entire place. After more staff came on board, service improved. Food was pretty good for a bar scene, especially the bacon wrapped shrimp!Special Features:
- It took 10 minutes for anyoneMaxineVIPDined on 1/31/2013It took 10 minutes for anyone to come to my table to greet me and ask for my drink order. This was 5 minutes after I flagged down a bus boy to ask for a waiter. I specifically asked for no oonions on the salad and repeated myself twice. The salad had onions. Although the green salad with grilled salmon was good, I will not go back due to POOR service.Special Features:
- I went at lunch and it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/29/2013I went at lunch and it was pretty much empty. the working lunch moved into the early evening and then the place was hopping. it was a perfect place for my working lunch and drinks.
- Food was good. service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2013Food was good. service was fair but felt that the waitresses had too many tables and not enough time to service tables as they should be. one of the food runners was completely rude. when i asked for hot sauce when bringin out our food, he just gave me a look ,didn't say a word and turned around and ran off. 10 minutes later my waitress ran by (as she was bringing drinks to another table and asked if we wanted hot sauce, i say yes). 5 minutes later we got our hot sauce (almost done with my meal at this time). Waitresses did their best but need to be staffed better to handle the lunch crowds. more waitresses / better bus boys and / or food runners to off set the waitresses work load. my 2 cents.Special Features:
- Met up with some colleaguesEwagenaarDined on 1/15/2013Met up with some colleagues for a late lunch and some business talk. Bustling energetic atmosphere when we arrived but when it empties out, it empties out QUICK. Food was good and portion size was generous. Happy hour specials will definitely get me back there again. Overall, service was handled well and we were in and out in a reasonable time. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Very lively lunch crowd.pppatpc2VIPDined on 1/10/2013Very lively lunch crowd. Good daily specials. Server very friendly and patient.
- It was a little louder andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2013It was a little louder and more casual than I expected. I expect a more diverse and exciting draft list at an upscale bar/restaurant these days. But the food was good.
- Eh, this place is just okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/8/2013Eh, this place is just okay. I had the carnitas sandwich and it was dry and overly salted. I was there for a downtown business meeting and it was a convenient spot, which is why it was chosen. I wouldn't go again.
- Quick and painless lunch option.Sahara18VIPDined on 1/7/2013Solid service and I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious my food was. The initial impression is not fabulous - its dark and very bar-y. But the food was great! I had the buffalo chicken wrap, and my friend had a salad. We were both very happy.Special Features:
- The restaurant is relativelyFrequentDinerDined on 12/28/2012The restaurant is relatively close to nearby theaters and shopping on Randolph and State St. The food was great and the service was attentive and courteous. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Staff was very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2012Staff was very accommodating to allow us to change our reservation to a larger group at the last minute, and still seated us early even though our whole party had not arrived. It's a good after work drinks and dinner spot, but clears out early in the evening. I would visit again!Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/20/2012They tried sitting my table of two in the very back corner of the restaurant... right next to a table of 6... so close that I would've had to walk sideways to get to the table. The problem with this is that the restaurant was 80% empty. Why are you stuffing me in the back when you have literally 20 other tables open? Not a good start. Food was decent, service was pretty slow and I had to twice ask for things that I shouldn't have to ask for (bread and more water). Overall, very unimpressed... likely won't be back.
- Went to Midtown for lunch.RichDined on 12/14/2012Went to Midtown for lunch. The server was excellent. He kept coming by the table to check up on things and refilled the drinks automatically. The food was brought out quickly and tasted great. I will be going back to Midtown.Special Features:
- The food tastes really good,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/6/2012The food tastes really good, the portions were huge, and prices were great for this downtown restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice Lunch Spot In LoopcallenDined on 12/5/2012Met with business colleagues for upscale yet casual lunch. Service was friendly, efficient. Burgers were significant notch above typical bar food. Atmosphere was comfortable, busy but quiet enough for easy conversation. No rush to flip table.Special Features:
- Great loop spot for lunchTigluvVIPDined on 11/29/2012Great loop spot for lunch or happy hour. good specials too.
- The waitress did not writeAmykinsVIPDined on 11/21/2012The waitress did not write down any of our orders so I was expecting something to missing or wrong. Surprisingly, she got the special orders right, but forgot to put my order in. I received my sandwich 10 minutes later than the rest of my party but she did comp it.Special Features:
- Newly Found MidtownOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2012This was a good spot to meet for lunch. The calamari was good and the Carna Asada tacos were okay, but I do plan to go back and try other items.Special Features:
- This is a decent place forTerryVIPDined on 11/7/2012This is a decent place for lunch centrally located in the business district where there are not a lot of sit down places to meet for lunch. The food was pretty good, not stellar, but reasonably priced. The menu has a bit of a Mexican flair to it but also has the standard lunch fare of salads, burgers, etc.Special Features:
- It was okay - nothing to writePeggyCDined on 11/1/2012It was okay - nothing to write home about. Very noisy and not private at all. Good only for a quick meal.
- Terrible service. MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/26/2012Terrible service. Mediocre food. I wouldn't come back.Special Features:
- They have a great specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2012They have a great specials menu - was there on a Monday evening for dinner, and took advantage of the $3 burger special. All the extras cost more (cheese on the burger, fries, etc.), but even so my group of three still paid under $30 after including drinks, tax, and tip!Special Features:
- Good for a large group happyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2012Good for a large group happy hour. Something was really wrong with the A/C and it was stuffy, hot, and uncomfortable. Our group would have stayed longer, but left and went elsewhere due to the environment.Special Features: