Michel's at the Colony Surf
2895 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Michel's at the Colony Surf
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.michelshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8089236552
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Reservation Times: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30PM
Brunch Reservations: First Sunday of Every Month: 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Eberhard Hardy Kintscher
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The combination of food, service, ambiance and view make for an unforgettable event.
- Private Party Facilities: We have several rooms we can use as private areas. It ranges from 12 - 150 people based on availability.
- Private Party Contact: Amber 8087283463
- Entertainment: Nightly: Sunday - Thursday 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday 6:30pm - 10:00pm
Two time Grammy award winner Jeff Peterson calls Michel's home on Thursday, Friday and Saturday's when he is home in Hawaii.
A word from Michel's at the Colony Surf
Come and experience French fine-dining cuisine at its best at Hawaii's premier ocean front restaurant, voted "Most Romantic Restaurant" by "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" on Oahu's Gold Coast.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Michel's at the Colony Surf - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Michel's at the Colony Surf reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (90)special occasion (90)scenic view (89)fit for foodies (45)notable wine list (37)neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (11)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- GREAT for romantic dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The view is ridiculous you can't get any closer to the water! A great spot for a romantic dinner and to catch a beautiful sunset. The food is OUTSTANDING and very fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country folk from Kaua'iOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014A truly great dining experience for my wife and I. We flew in from Kaua'i and celebrated my wife's birthday. Food was wonderful; loved the fois grois; the waiter and staff were very friendly and attentive; Waikiki sunset da best; and the evening was punctuated with the fantastic guitar of Jeff Peterson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining eventOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014The service was the best we ever had. Attention to detail was superior. The quality of the food was outstanding. You must visit when you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AralenDined on 8/21/2014Everything was very good. We enjoyed a nice view and quiet restaurant. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best!foodserviceproVIPDined on 8/18/2014This is simply one of the three best restaurants in O'ahu. Incomparable view, great food and professional servers and staff. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny!! I have gone many times and will continue to do so.Special Features:
- Slow start, strong finish808davoDined on 8/15/2014The service was slow initially with no waiter in sight. No introduction, very cold, no discussion of the menu. Finally about the time we were well into our appetizers, a transformation took place and the waiter was engaging, friendly, attentive, and it saved the evening. Food as always was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10th commemorationPIRATES28Dined on 8/13/2014We chose the meal in Michel's at the Colony Surf in commemoration of the 10th travel to Hawaii in this time. The meal could also be delicious and children could also be satisfied with very polite correspondence of the meal. Moreover, please let me use in commemoration of something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Elegant Ocean Front Restaurant with Excellent Food/Service/Ambience & Million Dollar Waikiki Sunset View.Special Features:
- Will be backGreatDinerDined on 8/8/201411 of us including 4 children visited on the last day of our 10 days visit in Hawaii, and it turned out to be the best night to be remembered. Corner table fit perfect for families and group events, and appreciate michel's arrangement. Course meal was perfect for ladies and elder child to enjoy Michel's speciality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014This is my favourite eatery in Honolulu and on my world top ten list. Absolutuely wonderful. About $110 a head but worth it. Location is stunning right on the water and overlooking lights of Honolulu. Can;t think of a superlative good enough for Michel's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Sunday of the Month BrunchPalakaWineGroupDined on 8/3/2014Michel's Brunch on the first Sunday of each month is a delightful way to spend the midmorning. Complimentary mimosas and a full bar is a great way to spend a Sunday wining and dining with friends.Special Features:
- Fine dining at Michele's DOAEatingHonoluluDined on 7/29/2014Went for a romantic, celebratory dinner with my wife. Screaming children at nearby tables. One family was watching a movie on an ipad. Kids running around the restaurant. The waiter did not inform us of all the specials, nor did he explain that items from the tasting menu were available ala carte. (We heard the full list of specials & the ala carte option as he explained these to a couple at the next table.) The butter and the sauces tasted like the inside of a refrigerator. They brought the wrong appetizer, then insisted it was the right one. (Still pretty good, though.) My spouse's dinner was undercooked even after discussing and confirming with wait staff. Maybe they were having an off night?
- A lovely eveningkonakateDined on 7/23/2014Our dinner at Michel's was for our birthdays but also the night before my husband had surgery. Having been to Michel's a few years ago for our anniversary, I thought it was the perfect place for a memorable evening where nothing would go wrong. Everything was just as we wanted. The food was gorgeous, presentation, taste, serving size, the service was impeccable and nice looking too, the wines were perfectly matched. Oh yes, Jeff Peterson was playing his beautiful music. What a perfectly lovely evening. Mahalo.Special Features:
- Exceptional view with decent foodMarcoVIPDined on 7/22/2014Looking for a restaurant with one of the best ocean view's in Waikiki? If so, Michel's at the Colony Surf will not disappoint. However, this rest of your dining experience may not be as exceptional as the view. The culinary offerings may be good, but they pale in comparison to the meals prepared and served by some of Michel's top competitors. Given the right management team and innovation (with supervision) in the kitchen, Michel's could become an excellent restaurant rather than remaining a "very good" one with a beautiful view of the Waikiki oceanfront.Special Features:
- Delivered in styleGps1378Dined on 7/20/2014Watched sunset and ships while the happy and friendly staff served an awesome meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim65Dined on 7/19/2014Outstanding menu selections. Gracious service. Beautiful sunset view of Waikiki Beach. A perfect spot for romantics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michel's is greatmeyerlvVIPDined on 7/12/2014We always go to Michel's everytime we travel to Honolulu. This is one of the best reataurants on the islands. The Food & Service are fantastic I have 2 children that are teens and they have been requesting this restaurant since we first went in 2000.Special Features:
- AWESOME experience!!!leehawaii0713Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I had an amazing experience celebrating our first wedding anniversary at Michel's. We really loved the food (Bison with Mushroom Red Wine Sauce, Lobster and Crab; Lamb Chops with Au Gratin and Veggies); mouth-watering complimentary dessert; the view from the restaurant overlooking the beach is just breathtaking; the nice romantic ambience and music; and last but not the least, our server Duane and the whole staff were very attentive and thoughtful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most delicious restrautantYdexyerDined on 7/11/2014I was really enjoyed eating there. I love your food, service and scenery. I think Michel's is the most delicious restaurant in Hawaii . Thank you so much your kindness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014the women who can speak japanese was so nice and kind. I loved today's special of fish And Michel's original tequila cocktail.Special Features:
- Food needs workOceanPrimoVIPDined on 6/19/2014I've eaten at Michel's now at least a dozen times and it's the same old story. Food average to below average. Service and atmosphere outstanding. If the restaurant would spend its time and resources to find a good chef with talented cooks, there would be a line out of the door nightly. The food is heavy, with attempted flair that is not necessary, very little flavor and some of the dishes are too heavy. French food should be light and refreshing. Not this menu. Food needs serious work. If not for the outstanding table side Caesar, we would not visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Dining onf the beach in HawaiiHawaiianfoodieDined on 6/19/2014Ambience, service, and food. What else could you ask for!Special Features:
- DinnerLexismomDined on 6/16/2014Dinner was very good, as was the service. There were 2 large wedding dinners while we were there and our table was stuck between them. It was very noisy. The view of the water was nice and our server did the best she could with the amount of tables she was taking care of. On a quieter night, this would be a lovely place to have dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!MaryFVIPDined on 6/16/2014We have been eating here for years and it is always a fantastic dining experience. They continue what many restaurants have stopped and that is tableside preparation of the dishes. Anything served tableside and flaming is a hit. Everyone in the dining room stops what they are doing to watch the flames. Besides that, the food is delicious!! Robert our waiter was wonderful, knew the menu and was excited to tell you about. His enthusiasm only added to our enjoyment. I'm not a wine person, so I can't help you there but, the cocktails were spot on. Every time we are on Oahu, this is our go to spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with Sigourney2soon2retireDined on 6/15/2014Our family enjoyed brunch to celebrate a birthday and father's day. The ambience was just picture perfect--calm waters with families enjoying the sand, water and surf. Loved it! Got a special treat--saw Sigourney Weaver with her family in the restaurant. The service was just what you expected--exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!MichelsDined on 6/13/2014Some of the finest food I have ever had. The staff are all very professional, yet warm.Special Features:
- WonderfulDaveVIPDined on 6/12/2014Service and food were the best!! This was our 35 anniversary and they made it a special night. Maybe the best experience we have had!Special Features:
- とても素敵でしたminiDined on 6/11/2014ハワイ旅行最後のディナーに行きました。海沿いのきれいなレストランです。スタッフの対応、お料理のパフォーマンス、味もとても良く、女性２人で行きましたがとても大満足でした。 一番おいしかったのはロブスターのスープですね。是非また行きたいです。Special Features:
- The most romantic restaurant!AlohaJanetDined on 6/10/2014Michel's is the most romantic restaurant with an open air, scenic view. Food & service, everything is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible viewcsfmdVIPDined on 6/4/2014Usually not the choice for a business dinner, but everyone loved it! The view of course, right on Kaimana Beach was fabulous; especially in the summer when it stays light later. Beautiful pink/orange sunset. Food was fabulous and creative. Strawberries and foie gras for desert?! Divine, sweet and savory. Love the "old school" table side preparation of the peppercorn sauce for the filet mignon as well as the "flambé" deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicekamaainaDined on 6/1/2014Waiter, Dwayne was outstanding. We were seated ocean-side at 5:30 pm. Setting sun made it a little warm and a couple of bees visited the table. A sun screen may help.Special Features:
- In the top 3 best meals everHappy2bDined on 5/31/2014From the incredible view to the amazing preparation and taste of the lobster bisque to the phenomenal wine and tenderloin to the delicious chocolate soufflé the meal was one of our best dining experiences in our thirty years of marriage!!!! Hank you for the perfect meal and experience! The staff was fabulous too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!PerryDined on 5/30/2014This is one Restaurant that is on my "Must" eat at list, every time I am in Honolulu. Love the ambience and the food and their great attention to service.Special Features:
- Overpriced for nothingNotfromhawaiiDined on 5/29/2014superb service but food was not all that great and is way overpriced. Great beach view. Not for kids because we had a child screaming next to us and the manager starred them down and said something to us about the family which I found very unprofessional. Our bill came out to almost $200 for me my husband and daughter which was outrageous for what we got. Never again will I come back to this place. Nor recommend it.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu not so goodTravelQueenVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is usually one of my favoite places in Oahu. Not this time...we had the tasting menu with wine pairings. Sadly, it wasn't the highlight of this restaraunt. The wine that was paired with each dish was excellent, but the food wasn't that great. I would say save your money and order al a carte. Also the service was very rushed. When each course was brought to the table we had to ask our server to tell us what we were eating and about each wine that was paired with the dish. They were actually just dropping the food and not saying a word and the wines were coming out after each course was brought to the table and nothing was being explained. It was a disaster and a disapointment. The dessert on the tasting menu was jello. Very disaponting.Special Features:
- We will be back next Hawaiian visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Everything about Michels is special. When we return to Hawaii in a few years we will be back to dine there. Absolutely love the view. It was my birthday and they presented me with a serving of cheesecake & a Happy birthday sign made out of chocolate stuck in it, nice surprise. Staff was knowledgeable & professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014There was a group of Japanese tourists celebrating a wedding and they got too rowdy for this classy restaurant. It detracted from our dining experience. I wish the manager had asked them, nicely, to quiet down. Unusual for Japanese since they are usually quite and respectful of other people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!CandDJDined on 5/18/2014We selected this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary on our 1st trip to Oahu. What a perfect evening!! Everything was fabulous - down to the last detail; the food was mouth watering and beautifully presented; great table side preparation; the harp music, table with ocean view & sunset added to the romantic evening. Our server, Larry, was the BEST - ask for him!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fine Dining Find!EatMauiDined on 5/17/2014I love the upscale, but very friendly atmosphere. We had a table right by the opening to the beach and the wait staff made our celebratory dinner an experience to be remembered. A couple of dishes served table side (caesar salad and beef tenderloin flambé) really made it special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our evening at Michels!CarolekvDined on 5/16/2014Delicious food, amazing setting. They DID honor my request for a best view table and it was fabulous. Right by the water with view if cityscape at night and Diamondhead. Seafood platter appetizer is fresh and has great variety. Then spinach salad table side - a first. Chateaubriand to die for. Warning - all but heartiest eaters will have a hard time eating it all but it's so good, it's hard to stop! Will make Michels a regular stop for any visit to Honolulu from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.