Michel's at the Colony Surf
2895 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Michel's at the Colony Surf
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.michelshawaii.com/
- Phone: (808) 923-6552
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Reservation Times: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30PM
Brunch Reservations: First Sunday of Every Month: 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Eberhard Hardy Kintscher
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The combination of food, service, ambiance and view make for an unforgettable event.
- Private Party Facilities: We have several rooms we can use as private areas. It ranges from 12 - 150 people based on availability.
- Private Party Contact: Amber 8087283463
- Entertainment: Nightly: Sunday - Thursday 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday 6:30pm - 10:00pm
Two time Grammy award winner Jeff Peterson calls Michel's home on Thursday, Friday and Saturday's when he is home in Hawaii.
A word from Michel's at the Colony Surf
Come and experience French fine-dining cuisine at its best at Hawaii's premier ocean front restaurant, voted "Most Romantic Restaurant" by "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" on Oahu's Gold Coast.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Michel's at the Colony Surf - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Michel's at the Colony Surf reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (87)special occasion (81)romantic (80)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (38)great for outdoor dining (23)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Excellent food with a sunsetCharlesDDined on 11/17/2014We celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary with a romantic dinner at Michel's. We were seated immediately at our requested table at the window. One has a beautiful view of the ocean and beach with the sun setting on the horizon. The staff were very attentive, while providing us enough time to settle down. The wine list included the wines that were on preferred list. We enjoyed the lobster bisque, our favourite! The entrees were prepared just as we ordered, the vegetables and the meats. Michel's provided us with a special gift of a complimentary dessert for our anniversary. Overall a really memorable place for a romantic dinner with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The old romantic standby with a lovely view!buffalohaVIPDined on 11/16/2014Food was very good. Although the live lobster behemoth was a bit underwhelming with the sauce and flavor. Nice table side presentaitons. Sitting by the window supposedly takes a 3 month lead reservation. An old favorite for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic dinnerMakanaDined on 11/15/2014This is the 3rd time I've taken my wife here for our anniversary and always pleased with the service, Chateaubriand and of course the sunset view. The wait staff were very friendly and down to earth, not snobby or arrogant. Good recommendations for wine from the lead waiter and very attentive. We highly recommend a romantic dinner or group. Good to see the Asian tourists enjoying the restaurant, nice solo musician providing ambiance. My wife recommends the seafood salad. I recommend the escargots.Aloha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonchanDined on 11/12/2014The view of sunset is wonderful.When some dish is served, we can also enjoy performance.Only 30minuts walking from Waikiki beach,we can spend special quiet diner time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableElanglDined on 11/9/2014We requested and were sat at a table next to the beach. It was so romantic watching the sunset. White table cloths and gorgeous place settings added to the ambiance. Stanford was our waiter and he did a fabulous job. We had the signature onion soup, chateau briand and the grand marnier souffle. The onion soup was pale and lacked flavor. That was the only negative. Everything else was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jydeguzmDined on 11/8/2014Amazing view and service! Food was just okay and way to overpriced!Special Features:
- DisappointingAussieChicksDined on 11/6/2014Our experience was sadly not very good at all... The service was ok but the actual food was overcooked and over priced. Definitely not going back!
- One of the RestaurantsshotaroDined on 11/5/2014The staff was very polite. View at most, I was able to get a meal in a pleasant atmosphere. Chateaubriand steak was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michel's - Great Food & ViewCarlDined on 11/3/2014Michel's is truly a fine restaurant. Located on the water. the food is excellant, wine list complete, and live guitar, make it a treasure.Special Features:
- Honolulu Jubilee at Michel'sTootieDined on 11/3/2014Glorious sunset view. Delectable lamb chops. Superior service. Memorable evening topped off with amazing, delicious cherries Jubilee. Potent Mai Tai. No rushing. Perfect evening. Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michels Oct 2014HeythereDined on 10/30/2014The restaurant has a great location for night time views of the Honolulu skyline and the lapping of the waves on the shore beneath adds to this setting. There is a good selection of dishes to suit most tastes and preferences and there was no sense of urgency to finish your meal so the table could be cleared for other diners;not sure if this is always the case or the fact it was the night before Halloween & Waikiki was quiet at this time.I was disappointed with my main course but it was probably more an error on my part than the dish itself;my husband had lobster thermidor & it was delicious. There is a vast choice of wines starting from about $50 so not cheap but then if you want cheap,don't go to Michels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location/ambiance, Poor FoodcasualchefDined on 10/27/2014Service good, but food was lousy except bread.Both onion soup and lobster thermador not properly made,particularly for the price.Supposed to be French.Wasn't.Onions in soup not caramelized, no crusty 3-cheese top.Lobster topping tasted like pastry roux or mashed potatoes.Should have been rich and memorable.Food a failure.Won't return or recommend.Special Features:
- Table Side Appetizers are a rip offOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014$36.00 for Caesar's salad (for 2), served tableside. The romaine lettuce per serving amounted to a very small salad each. The dressing was made tableside but is that the reason for the price? The lobster bisque, also served tableside, had less than a claw-worth of meat, I'd guess about an ounce of lobster meat. Sad. So incredibly over-priced. And it's not like they were doing anything at tableside but heat up the lobster meat for a few seconds since the bisque was already done. I had the farm-raised venison, which did not have the gamey-ness that I love, even though the waiter stated I would taste it. Bad recommendation and overly priced appetizers means never going back there again.
- Great dining experience...MrdrDined on 10/12/2014The best time to enjoy this restaurant is around sunset for one of the best views. The setting is old world classic. I found the service to be exceptional with helpful wait staff who knew the menu well. Food was delicious despite the fact I was expecting a few more traditional French dishes which were not on the menu. Aside from that, a wonderful dining experience for couples and small parties. I definitely find myself going back.Special Features:
- most romantic sunset in Waikikidrk008Dined on 10/11/2014It doesn't get any better than sipping champagne and enjoying the sunset at Waikiki beach in the cool shade of Michel's. I love the wine selection to go with foie gras, oysters, abalone, endive salad and tenderloin. Lobster is wonderful (bisque table side, thermidor or steamed whole). Save room for the souffle. Our waiter is the best and foremost reason it is always a festive and happy occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Michel'skremleyDined on 10/6/2014Our dining experience was fabulous. Our server was the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable!GourmandVIPDined on 10/4/2014It had been over 15 years since we had been to Michel's. Oh what we missed! Fantastic evening of food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningMeiMeiLoves2EatDined on 10/2/2014After we confirmed our flight plans to Honolulu I asked my husband where he wanted to go for his birthday. He immediately said Michel's. We try to go there for special events when we're in Hawaii and so far we haven't been disappointed. Todd our server recommended the vetello as the starter. The tuna and veal together was delicious! There was live music in the background and a gorgeous sunset to enjoy. If you're visiting Honolulu and would like to dine in a beautiful setting with great food, go to Michel's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice one of the last gemsnicksacopVIPDined on 9/29/2014great old school spot in Honolulu but has maintained the quality these past 30 years. Many people like it for the sunset view but great for a later dinner as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oyster38Dined on 9/28/2014Our waiter and other staff members did a great job, making us feel special, particularly regarding my friend's birthday. Spectacular setting in which to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 最高なレストランHNTMDined on 9/24/2014とても記念に残る景色とお料理でした。 事前にオススメを調べて行ったので、ビスクもお肉も皆さんが言うようにどれも本当においしかったです。 シャンパン・ワイン・そしてサービス。最高に幸せな時間を過ごせました！！ ただ、海側のお席を予約しましたが窓側でした。そこだけは残念・・・。 次は海側の席でまた伺いたいです。Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb food, ambience and servicemikesblocalDined on 9/21/2014my wife and i love the location and food. this is our go to special occasion restaurant. the best Chef in Honolulu. foie gras speciality.Special Features:
- Michel's (Honolulu, HI)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014This place continues to impress! An amazing location at base of Diamond Head, with an awesome view of the ocean and sunset. The service by Robert was exceptional, and we highly recommend this venue to others when visiting Honolulu!Special Features:
- Great Food and scenic viewthe808Dined on 9/20/2014Food was outstanding. NY steak was so good. Make a reservation just before sunset and you will be treated to an unbelievable view.Special Features:
- BEST OF THE BESTOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything was fantastic! Service, food, cocktails, dessert! A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014The entire evening was great. The food was exceptional, would have like lights a bit lower, but with a lot of dishes being done at the table it's safer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with great viewkichaDined on 9/18/2014I had a good time with great view and delicious food. Strongly recommend to visit there during sunset time.Special Features:
- Fantasticbobw1Dined on 9/16/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday here and it was just fantastic.Special Features:
- THE BEST OF THE BESTBESTDined on 9/14/2014ALL GET LARRY AS HE IS THE BEST OF THE BEST AT THE BEST.. TRAVELED THE WORLD BEEN AT THE MOST EXPENSIVE AND MICHELELS IS TOP OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice food with great sunsetkymyDined on 9/13/2014For some menus waiters did small performance (maily easy cooking) in front of guests when they served, which really impressed. We were happy with their service and nice food. Warm apple tarte with cinnamon icecream was must-try.Special Features:
- Not quite worth the costfinedinerDined on 9/10/2014Went to eat at Michel's based on recommendation from a friend. Staff was wonderful and attentive, views were romantic, and tables were nicely set. Food was not as good as I expected for the price. Bread that came to our table was hard. Virgin cocktail ( pina colada) lacked flavor, had large ice chunks, and was garnished with fruit soaked in alcohol. My appetizer and entree were very heavy on the caraway seeds. They have a very strong flavor and were overpowering to say the least. With a few modifications this could be a #1 spot for fine dining but it missed the mark for us in more than one way.Special Features:
- A lovely dining experience.nettiemaeDined on 9/10/2014This restaurant is beautiful, both the interior and the view - casually elegant, a perfect blend of chandeliers and beachfront. Our dining experience was superb, from the little extras from the chef to the professional, warm, and welcoming service. The waitstaff works together calmly and seamlessly for their guests' comfort. Chateaubriand was delicious, as well as the side dishes (mushroom mashed potatoes, broiled tomato, and a wonderful little bundle of fresh veggies). The lobster we saw served to other diners will be a must next visit!Special Features:
- seasoned70sDined on 9/9/2014Michel's has been a perfect dining venue for special occasions in Honolulu for a very long time. The delicious classic French cuisine has remained intact. (There were other more "fusion" dining choices for those who prefer a lighter fare.) And the attentive service is still very much alive and superb as it was in the past. (The only thing we were apprehensive was the new relaxed dress code where shorts are allowed. Lucky for us, on the night of our visit all the male diners had long pants and all the ladies had smart looking outfits.) We will continue to treasure Michel's and make high recommendations to anyone who looks for a special place to celebrate in "haute gamme".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencejabw9Dined on 9/8/2014This is one of the finest dining experiences on Oahu. Martini's are always the way we like them, extra dirty. Wine list is impeccable, and suggestions for pairings are always right on. Caesar salad for two made at the table. Steaks are always cooked perfect, medium with a little pink in the middle. Finish is either chocolate or grand marnier soufflé or molten chocolate cake with coffee. The service is always outstanding !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT for romantic dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The view is ridiculous you can't get any closer to the water! A great spot for a romantic dinner and to catch a beautiful sunset. The food is OUTSTANDING and very fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michele's-Nothing but Classy!!CoachDined on 8/30/2014We were celebrating our second anniversary and there is no other place more romantic than at Michele's At the Colony Surf. We had not been there in awhile so it was a pleasant and reassuring experience that you will always get top notch food, service and a great sunset view. We will definitely be returning for many more anniversary celebrations. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country folk from Kaua'iLub2uDined on 8/29/2014A truly great dining experience for my wife and I. We flew in from Kaua'i and celebrated my wife's birthday. Food was wonderful; loved the fois grois; the waiter and staff were very friendly and attentive; Waikiki sunset da best; and the evening was punctuated with the fantastic guitar of Jeff Peterson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining eventOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014The service was the best we ever had. Attention to detail was superior. The quality of the food was outstanding. You must visit when you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AralenDined on 8/21/2014Everything was very good. We enjoyed a nice view and quiet restaurant. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best!foodserviceproVIPDined on 8/18/2014This is simply one of the three best restaurants in O'ahu. Incomparable view, great food and professional servers and staff. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny!! I have gone many times and will continue to do so.Special Features: