Michelle's On Market Square
10 Market Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
Michelle's On Market Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://michellesonmarketsquare.com/
- Phone: 6034278253
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Provencal
- Executive Chef: Scott Massidda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Michelle's On Market Square
Closed Monday and Tuesday. Open for dinner Wednesday-Sunday. Open for brunch Friday-Sunday 9-2pm. Please call us if you have any questions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Michelle's On Market Square - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Michelle's On Market Square reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (11)great for brunch (9)scenic view (8)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- JakeDined on 8/30/2014The co-owner and bartender Chris was friendly and really made our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014This restaurant has such warm and friendly ambiance-- run by a family, one feels like one is being welcomed into a home of old friends. And the food matches the congenial atmosphere--wonderfully prepared with bountiful portions. The restaurant itself is lovely with many tables situated by windows looking out to the Portsmouth downtown. It was absolutely the best dining experience we had there and it would be a reason to return to the area. Don't miss it!!Special Features:
- Try this place.CourtDined on 8/15/2014Great food and service in a nifty, untypical atmosphere. This place has several small dining rooms, each with a different character. We ate in a second story room next to a window with a great view. They even have sidewalk tables. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelle'sPeterDined on 8/6/2014It was a great find.The service was great and we were greeted by a very friendly man who seated us upstairs.The wine and liquor list was outstanding,All 6 of us loved are dinner.Our waiter was outstanding and suggested specials to us .What a great credit he was to Michelle's.The restaurant was clean and the settings were first class.The owners should be real proud of their restaurant.I will tell others of this terrific find. DonSpecial Features:
- Just OK...PortsmouthFoodieDined on 8/2/2014I ordered the tuna special and it came out very overcooked. I like my tuna rare but the server never asked me how I would like it cooked. Our server couldn't remember any of the specials so he read from his book and kept his head down. He didn't write down our order and forgot what my dining companion order. At least the server came back and asked what he had order instead of guessing. Our server did complain about working since 8AM and how he was fried. AND he never brought us bread, even though I asked. My dining companion ordered the scallops and those were very tasty but overall, it wasn't the greatest experience and we probably won't go back. There is just too much competition in Portsmouth for an expensive mediocre experience.Special Features:
- fantastic view!majorettefoodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014The dinner we had at Michelle's on Market Square was wonderful. We were treated to the best seats in the restaurant overlooking the square. I even saw "Waldo" while I was sipping a nice glass of Pinot Noir. The host was magnanimous and gracious. Bob recanted the history of the Michelle's with much attention to detail. Our waitress, Lindsey, was fantastic also. I would without a doubt return to Michelle's for the terrific food, ambiance and welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brightened a rainy day :-)moretennis4meDined on 7/27/2014We landed in Portsmouth and drove straight here for brunch. First impression is a very hands on owner, nice touch with welcoming demeanor :-) He seated us at a window table for 2. I'm wheat free and have difficulty finding dishes which support this healthy eating style. I ordered the lobster brie salad thinking the brie was on the salad. It was melted on bread. The waitress immediately brought me brie to top the salad. Very accommodating. The lobster was much better than what we have in FL but not quite as fresh tasting as what we've eaten in Portland. Definitely worth a return trip :-) Thanks much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very best of PortsmouthNomadDined on 7/25/2014Don't miss this place for exceptional food fantastic friendly service. Everything a restaurant should be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as it appearsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant is a wanna be great restaurant. The food was below average and more like dinner style food. They need to get there act together.
- Awesome brunch!amarieDined on 6/15/2014I took my father here for brunch on Father's Day. The atmosphere was great, the service was great and the food was delicious. I loved this restaurant and will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good the second timeCelticsFanDined on 6/11/2014Our second visit was as enjoyable as our first. Everything from the wine, bread and salad through the entree's, desert and coffee was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully DoneFoodieNHDined on 6/5/2014We're frequent diners in the Portsmouth, NH area. There are a number of great restaurants to choose from, but we always come back to Michelle's. It's a great, small restaurant in a nice spot overlooking Market Square. As always, the food is top notch; not a single thing to criticize. Drinks are good, and the owner, Michelle, is always warm and welcoming. The noise level in the bar area can get a little loud at times if you're having a quiet conversation, but it usually stays fairly quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!blitzy65Dined on 6/4/2014Been back many times and always leave happy, having enjoyed a great meal and experience.Special Features:
- All About MichelleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014The food was fine, not exceptional, but still very good. However, the owner Michelle, was very loud, and seemed more interested in presenting herself, than on attending to her customers. She was very loud, at one point carrying on a conversation with the people at the next table and we could not hear each other. She was really very distracting from what would have been a nice quiet and enjoyable meal.
- ReunionAthena77Dined on 5/17/2014I had dinner at Michelle's with a friend whom I have not seen in 24 years. The meal was exquisite. And our waiter was perfect. He didn't hover, but checked in on without disturbing our conversation. It was the perfect spot for a reunion. The only less that perfect rating I would give is for noise. We were there on a Saturday night and our table was the closest to the bar area. That is why I didn't give a high rating for noise. I know that had we sat at a different table, this rating would have been higher.Special Features:
- Pretty good...could be betterBeaglemomDined on 5/10/2014I was looking forward to brunch at Michelle's for a day-early Mother's Day with my family. The space is charming but small, so reservations are a must. My berry crepes were great. Both my daughters got Eggs Benedict with roasted veggies instead of Canadian bacon; the roasted veggies were a uniform gray-brown--I hope they tasted better than they looked. The English muffins in the Eggs Bennie were so tough they couldn't cut though them with a knife. My husband's Monte Carlo was enough for at least 2 meals. The hostess was very loud when seating and speaking to other diners. I really really wanted to love it, but not quite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 255 reviews are from the Michelle's On Market Square reviews archive.
- We will become regulars!CaseyTVIPDined on 5/3/2014We enjoyed dinner here even more than the brunch we had a month ago. The food was fantastic, the atmosphere upbeat and friendly. If you are looking for a quiet dinner spot, this probably isn't the place but if you like lively, you will love this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Brunch at Michelle'sHigsDined on 4/20/2014Great time was had by all. the service and food were great!Special Features:
- Great Brunch/LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014My party had a mix of brunch and lunch selections. Overall the food was very enjoyable and we will most certainly return. The breakfast selections outshined the lunch menu although they were close. Only one dish was sub-par; a lamb special. The lamb was rather fatty and tasted as though it had been cooked quicky rather than slowly on low heat at it should have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and unique!TluvsfoodDined on 4/20/2014We had an Easter Sunday brunch that was better than any brunch we'be had in years! Even my 3 and 5 year old ate every bite and wanted more! We had the lobster eggs benedict, seafood crepes, scotch egg, and french toast. Coffees, hot cocoas, bloody mary's...mmmmm! And they were super sweet to our kids. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014This is my second brunch at Michelles and again we were impressed! It's amazing to eat gourmet food that has great presentation, fabulous taste & all around a great find in Downtown Portsmouth.Special Features:
- What a great place!BR9248Dined on 4/18/2014The food was wonderful and the ambiance was, too. Michelle, herself, goes table to table to make sure you are enjoying your meal. Lovely evening all around.Special Features:
- very nice dinnerStanLapVIPDined on 4/12/2014Well-prepared French-inspired food in a small, crowded restaurant. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2014I dined at Michelle's with 5 girlfriends during restaurant week and we were all very impressed with our meals and the service. We loved that they offered the full menu for restaurant week so we were able to try some of their most popular dishes. The service was great and our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and able to answer all questions. This was a first visit for many of us, but we're all planning to go back frequently.Special Features:
- Last Time to Michelle'sNikMDined on 4/5/2014I'm a Foodie and have enjoyed Michelle's on several occasions. Perhaps "restaurant week" is to blame for the unbelivable miserable service we received. We made a reservation on Open Table, apparently the Host didnt check it. They sat us at a high table in the bar when there were plenty of comfortable looking tables open. We were waited on by the bartender who was completely preoccupied with those sitting at the bar and the other restaurant staff. Was scoffed at when we didnt order any alcohol, had to ask 3 times for a steak knife and a further 3 times for the check at which point the Chef or someone dressed like a chef starting mocking me indirectly, thinkining I couldnt hear him. The waitress on duty appeared to have been overserved....Special Features:
- Always leaving happyJillianDined on 4/5/2014Every time I go to Michelles I have a wonderful dining experience. It's a hot spot for brunch because the food is great and the staff is amazing. It's a smaller place but the view from the upstairs bar makes the wait that much more enjoyable.Special Features:
- Excellent!pjdidomenDined on 3/23/2014Great Brunch menu. After trying to decide what to order, I settled on the scrambled eggs with salmon and a bloody mary. They both were excellent and I am picky about my blood marys. It is a small place with multi levels (so might not be good for people who have trouble with stairs) I loved that there were different rooms of tables. Our table was on the second floor in front of a window that overlooked Market Street. The entire staff was friendly and the service was prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid like the plagueChefAlDined on 3/23/2014Obviously this place can only survive based on out of town tourist traffic. I can't imagine anyone going there twice.
- Always Amazing BrunchLocalsDined on 3/9/2014Brunch is nothing short of amazing! Always delicious and the best brunch in town.Special Features:
- Michelle's charm and cuisineTRex86Dined on 3/7/2014Nice corner location on Market Square. Good French-American cuisine. Fun bar scene. Large portions, well prepared. Also great for Sunday Brunch. Dover sole and seafood pasta were excellent. the wild mushroom appetizer is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedBogieDined on 3/2/2014First experience but a lasting one!!!!Excellent service an food choices for brunch...something for everyone!!!! Will return for late night fun.... I'm advising all my associates of the great place to have good food and fun. Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Bistro upscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/1/2014We has two seafood mains. Well executed, perfectly as described and right in Market Square. We were two full for extras but appetizers looked very appealing. Most of dining is upstairs in this charming town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Sunday Brunch!lynnDined on 2/23/2014I took a friend for her birthday last week - we had a great time! Both the food and the service were outstanding. A little jewel in the middle of Downtown Portsmouth! I had the cured salmon with goat cheese - yum - and she had the seafood crepes - double yum! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Michelle's rivals if not exceedsJamesPDined on 2/23/2014Michelle's rivals if not exceeds some of the best eateries in Boston! The depth of flavor, nuance and consistent execution in every meal we have had here makes Michelle's our go to destination. Fabulous menu selection - knowledgable, friendly and accomodating staff - Michelle's has it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Brunch at Michelle'sVeeeDined on 2/15/2014Went to Michelle's for brunch this Saturday. Had a Bloody Mary that was a meal in itself and sooooo good! Also had to have the grits - creamy, cheesy, grits! We were a party of four and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Memorable ValentinesSarahDined on 2/14/2014Loved the ambiance here! What a great restaurant! The food was delicious and the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotTenaftertenVIPDined on 2/8/2014Quaint small city venue with friendly service and good food. Window table upstairs was a little tight and although they didn't have my brand of vodka, everything else was nice with the possible exception of some political loud talkers. Why is it that the least interesting people in the world have the loudest voices?Special Features:
- from start to finish thisRICHDined on 2/8/2014from start to finish this is atop restaurant. I plan to return. The server was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Portsmouth RestarauntSarahODined on 2/7/2014This place NEVER disappoints. Every time we come here we are so very pleased with the service and the wonderful meal. Best thing to get is the French onion soup. Best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly ExcellentJamesPDined on 1/24/2014No matter when we go to Michelle's dinner or brunch on weekends we experience nothing less than great service, great food and an upbeat & warm attitude from bus staff to the owners. 4 Star!!!!! An absolute GEM in Portsmouth - a city know for exceptional dining!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.