Michelle's On Market Square
10 Market Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
Michelle's On Market Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://michellesonmarketsquare.com/
- Phone: (603) 427-8253
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Provencal
- Executive Chef: Scott Massidda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Michelle's On Market Square
Closed Monday and Tuesday. Open for dinner Wednesday-Sunday. Open for brunch Friday-Sunday 9-2pm. Please call us if you have any questions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Michelle's On Market Square - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Michelle's On Market Square reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (25)great for brunch (22)romantic (15)scenic view (9)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Brunch/LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014My party had a mix of brunch and lunch selections. Overall the food was very enjoyable and we will most certainly return. The breakfast selections outshined the lunch menu although they were close. Only one dish was sub-par; a lamb special. The lamb was rather fatty and tasted as though it had been cooked quicky rather than slowly on low heat at it should have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and unique!TluvsfoodDined on 4/20/2014We had an Easter Sunday brunch that was better than any brunch we'be had in years! Even my 3 and 5 year old ate every bite and wanted more! We had the lobster eggs benedict, seafood crepes, scotch egg, and french toast. Coffees, hot cocoas, bloody mary's...mmmmm! And they were super sweet to our kids. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014This is my second brunch at Michelles and again we were impressed! It's amazing to eat gourmet food that has great presentation, fabulous taste & all around a great find in Downtown Portsmouth.Special Features:
- What a great place!BR9248Dined on 4/18/2014The food was wonderful and the ambiance was, too. Michelle, herself, goes table to table to make sure you are enjoying your meal. Lovely evening all around.Special Features:
- very nice dinnerStanLapVIPDined on 4/12/2014Well-prepared French-inspired food in a small, crowded restaurant. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2014I dined at Michelle's with 5 girlfriends during restaurant week and we were all very impressed with our meals and the service. We loved that they offered the full menu for restaurant week so we were able to try some of their most popular dishes. The service was great and our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and able to answer all questions. This was a first visit for many of us, but we're all planning to go back frequently.Special Features:
- Last Time to Michelle'sNikMDined on 4/5/2014I'm a Foodie and have enjoyed Michelle's on several occasions. Perhaps "restaurant week" is to blame for the unbelivable miserable service we received. We made a reservation on Open Table, apparently the Host didnt check it. They sat us at a high table in the bar when there were plenty of comfortable looking tables open. We were waited on by the bartender who was completely preoccupied with those sitting at the bar and the other restaurant staff. Was scoffed at when we didnt order any alcohol, had to ask 3 times for a steak knife and a further 3 times for the check at which point the Chef or someone dressed like a chef starting mocking me indirectly, thinkining I couldnt hear him. The waitress on duty appeared to have been overserved....Special Features:
- Always leaving happyJillianDined on 4/5/2014Every time I go to Michelles I have a wonderful dining experience. It's a hot spot for brunch because the food is great and the staff is amazing. It's a smaller place but the view from the upstairs bar makes the wait that much more enjoyable.Special Features:
- Excellent!pjdidomenDined on 3/23/2014Great Brunch menu. After trying to decide what to order, I settled on the scrambled eggs with salmon and a bloody mary. They both were excellent and I am picky about my blood marys. It is a small place with multi levels (so might not be good for people who have trouble with stairs) I loved that there were different rooms of tables. Our table was on the second floor in front of a window that overlooked Market Street. The entire staff was friendly and the service was prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid like the plagueChefAlDined on 3/23/2014Obviously this place can only survive based on out of town tourist traffic. I can't imagine anyone going there twice.
- very disappointedDisappointmenntDined on 3/14/2014I was at Michelle's for brunch and was impressed. Dinner was a complete disappointment. We felt ignored by the waitstaff and the food was nothing special.
- Always Amazing BrunchLocalsDined on 3/9/2014Brunch is nothing short of amazing! Always delicious and the best brunch in town.Special Features:
- Michelle's charm and cuisineTRex86Dined on 3/7/2014Nice corner location on Market Square. Good French-American cuisine. Fun bar scene. Large portions, well prepared. Also great for Sunday Brunch. Dover sole and seafood pasta were excellent. the wild mushroom appetizer is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedBogieDined on 3/2/2014First experience but a lasting one!!!!Excellent service an food choices for brunch...something for everyone!!!! Will return for late night fun.... I'm advising all my associates of the great place to have good food and fun. Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Bistro upscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/1/2014We has two seafood mains. Well executed, perfectly as described and right in Market Square. We were two full for extras but appetizers looked very appealing. Most of dining is upstairs in this charming town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Sunday Brunch!lynnDined on 2/23/2014I took a friend for her birthday last week - we had a great time! Both the food and the service were outstanding. A little jewel in the middle of Downtown Portsmouth! I had the cured salmon with goat cheese - yum - and she had the seafood crepes - double yum! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Michelle's rivals if not exceedsJamesPDined on 2/23/2014Michelle's rivals if not exceeds some of the best eateries in Boston! The depth of flavor, nuance and consistent execution in every meal we have had here makes Michelle's our go to destination. Fabulous menu selection - knowledgable, friendly and accomodating staff - Michelle's has it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Brunch at Michelle'sVeeeDined on 2/15/2014Went to Michelle's for brunch this Saturday. Had a Bloody Mary that was a meal in itself and sooooo good! Also had to have the grits - creamy, cheesy, grits! We were a party of four and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Memorable ValentinesSarahDined on 2/14/2014Loved the ambiance here! What a great restaurant! The food was delicious and the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotTenaftertenVIPDined on 2/8/2014Quaint small city venue with friendly service and good food. Window table upstairs was a little tight and although they didn't have my brand of vodka, everything else was nice with the possible exception of some political loud talkers. Why is it that the least interesting people in the world have the loudest voices?Special Features:
- from start to finish thisRICHDined on 2/8/2014from start to finish this is atop restaurant. I plan to return. The server was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Portsmouth RestarauntSarahODined on 2/7/2014This place NEVER disappoints. Every time we come here we are so very pleased with the service and the wonderful meal. Best thing to get is the French onion soup. Best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly ExcellentJamesPDined on 1/24/2014No matter when we go to Michelle's dinner or brunch on weekends we experience nothing less than great service, great food and an upbeat & warm attitude from bus staff to the owners. 4 Star!!!!! An absolute GEM in Portsmouth - a city know for exceptional dining!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2014We went to Michelle's for brunch. The food was very good. The service was a little slow, but we did have a large party. The staff was friendly & helpful. I would return & would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite ImpressiveScottDined on 1/10/2014This was my first time there. My wife and I went with a couple. We were very impressed. The food is creatively done. Everything tasted great. There was a nice selection of cocktails, beer, and wine. The desserts were some of the best I've had in a long time. The waiter was conversational and helpful. The ambience was top-notch. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Needs to update menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014We have been to Michelle's several times over the last couple of years and have always been happy. But they haven't changed their menu in a long time (two years), there was literally no one there (but it was extraordinarily cold out and a Friday night), we didn't have proper wait service and the food just wasn't that good. We want outstanding when we go out - after babysitter expenses and dinner costs, we'd like our experience to be more memorable.Special Features:
- Only okOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Cassoulet was dry and had way too much bread on top. Cheese plate was boring and offered only one type of cracker.Special Features:
- Feels comfortableGrdnritaVIPDined on 12/31/2013I love Michelle's. You are treated like a guest of the family as soon as you walk in. Food is always great. Travis the bartender/ server is a gem. Owners check in and chat. We love it!Special Features:
- Charming spotLizCDined on 12/28/2013We requested a table for two at the window overlooking the square. Very enjoyable ambience, service was pleasant and food was very good! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningboilermakerpeteDined on 12/28/2013Steak and seafood were beautifully cooked and presented. Excellent wine, quiet and romantic. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelle's a GemPortpairDined on 12/28/2013Best Sunday brunch in a town with lots of competition. Not the routine breakfast menu. Some real special items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes the mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2013Good service is often the linchpin of a good dining experience, and the service at Michelle's was top notch. I was dining alone, which often means the staff gives you little or no attention. Not true here where the server was attentive and helpful with everything from menu suggestions to shopping tips. The intimate dining spaces facilitated table to bar conversation (the server was also the bartender) and the second floor view onto the square meant there was plenty to look at, Coffee was good and served in a huge cup, obviating the need for frequent refills. A bloody mary was spicy, but nice and seafood crepes tasty, although the texture of the lobster meat was a bit spongy. Overall, a veryngood choice for brunch in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelles RocksTRex86Dined on 12/14/2013Charming addition to downtown Portsmouth. We had the good fortune to dine during a lovely snowstorm seated in the bar upstairs with a view of the swirling snowflakes in the street lights. Friendly service; lovely ambiance; good drinks; good French-Mediterranean food. It's cozy and classy--a great place for a special meal or just to drop in for a cocktail. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great timesusieqDined on 12/7/2013We made a last minute reservation and they were able to accommodate us. The food was great as usual and the staff was friendly and personable. Our waiter was new and very personable. Service was a little slow, but we didn't mind because he was so nice. We always have a great experience at Michelle's and would recommend it for a nice dinner and the price is just right...not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and location good, service?DanHDined on 12/6/2013The food was very good. We had the beet salad and a special soup, followed by the Chevre Salmon and the Seafood Provencal. A bit heavy on the Chevre for the two dishes that had it, though. Service and seating were a bit weak. We were seated at a window table in the brightly lit bar, when a more appropriate window table was available in the main upstairs dining room. The bartender was watching some entertainment show - Honey Boo Boo? - with the volume up relatively loud, so that meant we were watching, too. There were no proper wine glasses, so when we ordered a bottle of wine it was initially served in a goblet. The bartender complained they were leaving all the glasses on unused tables when they were running short.Special Features:
- Warm and invitingRobertVIPDined on 12/4/2013Michelle's is ideally located at Market Sq. in downtown Portsmouth. French bistro style with fairly diverse menu featuring several classics. Warm and casual vibe. Great food, gracious and attentive staff. Wine list is limited but very creditable and appropriate for menu. Prices reasonable. We will definitely returnISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in PortsmouthOccassionalfoodcriticDined on 11/16/2013Michelle's was recommended to us for an anniversary dinner, I hadn't heard of it but we tried it anyway. We were pleasantly surprised at how delicious the was and enjoyed sitting on the first floor amid the hustle and bustle of the kitchen and the fun staff. Reminded me of dining in Europe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad table, hot foodNewmarketerDined on 11/16/2013We had been to this restaurant before and had a pleasant experience but this time was not so great. We ended up with the worst table in the restaurant despite booking early. A very small table right next to the entrance door where the entire restaurant staff congregated, chatted and new guests waited right in front of us. We ordered the Bouillabaisse and the Lamb&Wild Boar Cassoulet. The Bouillabaisse was good but the Cassoulet disappointed for several reasons. It was covered with fat soaked croutons that had turned completely soggy on the underside. The meat was tender but very plain tasting without seasoning. The dish was served in a hot cast iron bowl that kept it so hot that I had to wait about 10 minutes before I could start eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and New EnglandScruffleguyDined on 11/10/2013We were very early for our brunch reservation, but they were able to get a seat at the bar while we waited for our table to be ready. The bartender was prompt and courteous and made a great Bloody Mary. Not long after, our table came available. Our server got us coffee and beverages quickly. I ordered the shrimp and grits, which I highly recommend for a cool, fall day. The shrimp were tender (not rubbery) and the grits were creamy and seasoned perfectly. My wife and mother-in-law got the truffle eggs, which were also delicious and cooked to perfection! If you're looking for a quintessential New England restaurant with great service, food, and drinks, definitely try Michelle's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude Owner Michelle balks customersResidentDined on 11/9/2013Friends raved about Portsmouth's restaurants so we looked forward to having good food in stylish settings as we relocated from Washington D.C. to the Seacoast area. On Saturday, November 9, 1014, we visited Michelle's on Market Square for the 2nd time. We were sat without menus (had to take them off another table ourselves), ignored for over 15 minutes before being approached for drink orders, & left feeling shunned by the aggressive and unpleasant nature of the owner Michelle who passed by our table many times without any eye contact. I guess in Portsmouth location helps restaurants stay in business. Unfortunately, this restaurant's prices do not fit their uninviting local.