Michelle's On Market Square
10 Market Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
Michelle's On Market Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://michellesonmarketsquare.com/
- Phone: (603) 427-8253
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Provencal
- Executive Chef: Scott Massidda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Michelle's On Market Square
Closed Monday and Tuesday. Open for dinner Wednesday-Sunday. Open for brunch Friday-Sunday 9-2pm. Please call us if you have any questions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Michelle's On Market Square - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Michelle's On Market Square reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (25)great for brunch (22)romantic (15)scenic view (9)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Cooking with love.liv2eatVIPDined on 11/15/2014Michelle's on Market in Portsmouth, NH is a family run bistro where you can feel the love. From the warm, welcoming and accommodating staff to the exquisitely prepared food, everything was just perfect. Our party included six adults and one well-behaved infant. We all agreed that the food, to a plate, was exceptional. Scrambled eggs with black truffles, salmon BLTs, salads, French toast and crepes were all so delicious that no one was willing to share. We remained at our table for quite a while feeling catered to and un-rushed. We are looking forward to a return visit to sample other parts of the menu. The description of the scallops on the dinner menu made my mouth water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Eveningluv2eatoutDined on 11/14/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the food and ambiance of this place. My entree, the Provencal seafood was outstanding! My husband said his entree, the pork special dish, was also outstanding. Service was very good, although I would not call it "attentive". The onion soup was a disappointment for me, as it was very thick, very peppery and had far more onion in it than I like. My husband loved his very unique appetizer - the wild mushroom with poached egg on a bagette. Flour-less chocolate cake was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheesecake, yum.1RasselmazzelDined on 11/12/2014I went to Michelle's for a girls night out dinner during restaurant week. Typically, the restaurant week specials only allow you to choose from a limited menu, but Michelle's did their entire mune. It was a great value. Each of us got something different and there are still things to go back and try. Lots of yummy and creative choices. The desserts were all from scratch and amazing, go for the cheesecake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portsmouth Dining WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2014We had the cassoulet, which was rather dry and topped with too many croutons. The room was very loud, which made it hard to carry on a conversation. Glasses of wine were overpriced, ranging from $ 11/glass to $ 14/glass. We mentioned this to the server, who stated that they do a 8 oz. pour, which turned out not to be the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & ServiceBBR2VIPDined on 11/9/2014The service was efficient, friendly and unobtrusive. The food was well prepared, presented and tasted great. Enjoyed the evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousHols10VIPDined on 11/8/2014Must go....It was terrific. Best onion soup I ever had. Great roasted chicken and Beef bordeux was amazing.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week dinnersPedrocatDined on 11/8/2014Visited during Restaurant Week, so it was very busy. But, the 4 of us all had great service and great food. All apps and meals were tasty. But the Salmon and lamb/wild boar meals were especially flavorful. We thought because of rest. week the meals might be smaller than normal, but not the case. Hope to get back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner November 6thOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We had an amazing dinner at Michelle's for restaurant week. We could select our course on their regular menu and found the food to be oth delicious and plentiful. The sirloin, pork and scallop dishes were are worth returning.Special Features:
- Great birthday brunch!CarolDined on 11/2/2014Warm and welcoming place for brunch on a rainy/snowy Sunday! Everyone in our party of 8 enjoyed their brunch selections which ranged from eggs benedict to seafood crepes and roasted vegetables. Felt like we were in our own cozy room with leather club chairs and couches grouped together. Seafood crepes were generously overflowing with scallops, shrimp and lobster and an excellent sauce. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Went for Sunday Brunch. Coffee served from caraffes was luke warm, even on second cup. Food was good not great. Service was slow and not attentive, overall not good enough to go back.
- Great brunchGlennRDined on 10/26/2014Went to Brunch at Michelle's twice and each time was wonderful. Took the kids also and they enjoyed. Love the omelet where you can choose any or all ingredients inside. Only place I have ever seen where you can take all of the options and ask for others. Will be back often when visiting my daughter at UNH. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2014Such a charming place! Feels like you are dining in someone's home with all the unique seating and cozy feel. The food was amazing!!! Great service too!Special Features:
- Regional gem.SurreyGuyDined on 10/10/2014In a state not known for good city dining, Michelle's gives you a good reason to visit Portsmouth. This was our second trip to this city this year and this time we went for diner and brunch during the course of a long weekend in the town. The food is based on some very good European foundations but has imagination and flair. The busy kitchen turns out some great dishes that will feature local fish and seafood, plus meats and pastas. The historic building and upper level views of the market square only add to the experience. It's a family business and it shows in the dedication of the staff and the warmth of their welcome. Service is steady and attentive, but not rushed - we like that. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- june36Dined on 10/4/2014most enjoyable gastronomically and in variety of menu itself. we had dinner this time but have had superb brunches twice before.Special Features:
- slightly upscalegreatexpectatonsDined on 9/28/2014Brunch on a Sunday in Market Square. Food was good, but nothing that would knock your socks off. With the exception of the OJ. Really good fresh squeezed!Special Features:
- So DissapointedHappy2Dined on 9/20/2014I am not a picky person by any means and I appreciate how hard people in the food service work. With that said I was so disappointed with my experience at this place. Staff was very friendly but over worked. Our waiter said he had been there since 8am and it was not 8:30pm. Perhaps that is why the service was awful. It took 20 minutes for us to get our drinks. And it took an hour to get our food which then came out incorrect- one person in our party was given the wrong dish. The food was ok- some of our dishes were dry. There was never a water refill or checking in on us and it was quite pricey. Never even asked us if we wanted dessert or coffee- think he knew it was not the best seating?
- Great atmospherejroushVIPDined on 9/20/2014The atmosphere was unbelievable with the food very good with large portions. The service was good with the waiter giving us the required attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the foodWayneDined on 9/18/2014The food is excellent. We dine in the bar area and his wine recommendations are right on. Love this place!Special Features:
- No point in making reservationsLucille11Dined on 9/14/2014Second time this has happened to me. Make reservation and I get there and there are no tables and they scram to put something together -like having you sit in lounge chairs using a side table as your dining table. Service is bad -really bad. Always forgotten and this time, my plate was taken away before I was done eating and my drink order was wrong but since it took 20 mins to get a drink, I didn't bother saying anything in fear of going thirsty the entire meal.
- Great Eggs BenedictBruncher2Dined on 9/13/2014Bloody Mary was not the best...seemed to be lacking some spiciness and came with no celery or pickle- just one green olive and a lime. The Eggs Benedict was amazing and were cooked just right. Prices were very fair considering the quality of the food. Duck fat roasted potatoes were to die for! Other menu items also looked terrific and everybody in our party enjoyed their food. Staff was very friendly. We sat in a cute little lounge area with couches that fit our entire party quite well while we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we made itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We had booked for dinner but couldn't make it and went the next day for lunch instead. Had a fantastic lobster brie salad and an outstanding Italian Pino Griggio. Our first time to Portsmouth and to Michelle's on Market Square. We'd recommend it and we will go back on a future visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeDined on 8/30/2014The co-owner and bartender Chris was friendly and really made our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We made a reservation at Michelle's based on other reviews and were not disappointed. It is a wonderful, charming, warm, friendly place to dine. Chris at the bar is adorable and very knowledgeable about food, wines and spirits. Zack is chef extrodinaire. We sat in the small bar on the 3rd floor and enjoyed all the action down in Marketplace Square. Would go back again -- would like to experience on a cozy winter day and sit in one of the smaller cozier dining areas.Special Features:
- Fantastic!tototooDined on 8/28/2014This restaurant has such warm and friendly ambiance-- run by a family, one feels like one is being welcomed into a home of old friends. And the food matches the congenial atmosphere--wonderfully prepared with bountiful portions. The restaurant itself is lovely with many tables situated by windows looking out to the Portsmouth downtown. It was absolutely the best dining experience we had there and it would be a reason to return to the area. Don't miss it!!Special Features:
- Try this place.CourtDined on 8/15/2014Great food and service in a nifty, untypical atmosphere. This place has several small dining rooms, each with a different character. We ate in a second story room next to a window with a great view. They even have sidewalk tables. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelle'sPeterDined on 8/6/2014It was a great find.The service was great and we were greeted by a very friendly man who seated us upstairs.The wine and liquor list was outstanding,All 6 of us loved are dinner.Our waiter was outstanding and suggested specials to us .What a great credit he was to Michelle's.The restaurant was clean and the settings were first class.The owners should be real proud of their restaurant.I will tell others of this terrific find. DonSpecial Features:
- Just OK...PortsmouthFoodieDined on 8/2/2014I ordered the tuna special and it came out very overcooked. I like my tuna rare but the server never asked me how I would like it cooked. Our server couldn't remember any of the specials so he read from his book and kept his head down. He didn't write down our order and forgot what my dining companion order. At least the server came back and asked what he had order instead of guessing. Our server did complain about working since 8AM and how he was fried. AND he never brought us bread, even though I asked. My dining companion ordered the scallops and those were very tasty but overall, it wasn't the greatest experience and we probably won't go back. There is just too much competition in Portsmouth for an expensive mediocre experience.Special Features:
- fantastic view!majorettefoodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014The dinner we had at Michelle's on Market Square was wonderful. We were treated to the best seats in the restaurant overlooking the square. I even saw "Waldo" while I was sipping a nice glass of Pinot Noir. The host was magnanimous and gracious. Bob recanted the history of the Michelle's with much attention to detail. Our waitress, Lindsey, was fantastic also. I would without a doubt return to Michelle's for the terrific food, ambiance and welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 266 reviews are from the Michelle's On Market Square reviews archive.
- Brightened a rainy day :-)moretennis4meDined on 7/27/2014We landed in Portsmouth and drove straight here for brunch. First impression is a very hands on owner, nice touch with welcoming demeanor :-) He seated us at a window table for 2. I'm wheat free and have difficulty finding dishes which support this healthy eating style. I ordered the lobster brie salad thinking the brie was on the salad. It was melted on bread. The waitress immediately brought me brie to top the salad. Very accommodating. The lobster was much better than what we have in FL but not quite as fresh tasting as what we've eaten in Portland. Definitely worth a return trip :-) Thanks much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very best of PortsmouthNomadDined on 7/25/2014Don't miss this place for exceptional food fantastic friendly service. Everything a restaurant should be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as it appearsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant is a wanna be great restaurant. The food was below average and more like dinner style food. They need to get there act together.
- Awesome brunch!amarieDined on 6/15/2014I took my father here for brunch on Father's Day. The atmosphere was great, the service was great and the food was delicious. I loved this restaurant and will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good the second timeCelticsFanDined on 6/11/2014Our second visit was as enjoyable as our first. Everything from the wine, bread and salad through the entree's, desert and coffee was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully DoneFoodieNHDined on 6/5/2014We're frequent diners in the Portsmouth, NH area. There are a number of great restaurants to choose from, but we always come back to Michelle's. It's a great, small restaurant in a nice spot overlooking Market Square. As always, the food is top notch; not a single thing to criticize. Drinks are good, and the owner, Michelle, is always warm and welcoming. The noise level in the bar area can get a little loud at times if you're having a quiet conversation, but it usually stays fairly quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!blitzy65Dined on 6/4/2014Been back many times and always leave happy, having enjoyed a great meal and experience.Special Features:
- All About MichelleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014The food was fine, not exceptional, but still very good. However, the owner Michelle, was very loud, and seemed more interested in presenting herself, than on attending to her customers. She was very loud, at one point carrying on a conversation with the people at the next table and we could not hear each other. She was really very distracting from what would have been a nice quiet and enjoyable meal.
- ReunionAthena77Dined on 5/17/2014I had dinner at Michelle's with a friend whom I have not seen in 24 years. The meal was exquisite. And our waiter was perfect. He didn't hover, but checked in on without disturbing our conversation. It was the perfect spot for a reunion. The only less that perfect rating I would give is for noise. We were there on a Saturday night and our table was the closest to the bar area. That is why I didn't give a high rating for noise. I know that had we sat at a different table, this rating would have been higher.Special Features:
- Pretty good...could be betterBeaglemomDined on 5/10/2014I was looking forward to brunch at Michelle's for a day-early Mother's Day with my family. The space is charming but small, so reservations are a must. My berry crepes were great. Both my daughters got Eggs Benedict with roasted veggies instead of Canadian bacon; the roasted veggies were a uniform gray-brown--I hope they tasted better than they looked. The English muffins in the Eggs Bennie were so tough they couldn't cut though them with a knife. My husband's Monte Carlo was enough for at least 2 meals. The hostess was very loud when seating and speaking to other diners. I really really wanted to love it, but not quite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will become regulars!CaseyTVIPDined on 5/3/2014We enjoyed dinner here even more than the brunch we had a month ago. The food was fantastic, the atmosphere upbeat and friendly. If you are looking for a quiet dinner spot, this probably isn't the place but if you like lively, you will love this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Brunch at Michelle'sHigsDined on 4/20/2014Great time was had by all. the service and food were great!Special Features: