3343 Lakeshore Avenue
Oakland, CA 94609Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.michelbistro.com/
- Phone: (510) 836-8737
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Michel
We are proud to introduce to you Michel Bistro. We are from south of France, Provence, and are excited to share our love of cuisine and all that it entails with the East Bay. Our goal is to bring to Lakeshore avenue a Bistro that will have French and traditional dishes made with high quality products at an affordable price.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Michel reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (159)fit for foodies (141)notable wine list (47)special occasion (43)romantic (42)hot spot (29)great for brunch (29)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great neighborhood, or even destination spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/25/2014This was my second time at Michel's and everything was perfect. I can't recommend it too highly. I really liked the panisse hors d'oeuvres and my companion was crazy about the bison tartare. I had a delicious flatbread (vegetarian) and he had the cassoulet. Both terrific. The only problem was, I didn't have room for dessert. Oh, and the wine list is very interesting and reasonable.Special Features:
- Great BrunchrobinVIPDined on 11/23/2014The unique take on benedict was amazing, as was the tartare. The duck hash was ok, however not as great a we were hoping. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best french food in the area hands down!frenchVIPDined on 11/19/2014I have eaten at a lot of French restaurants recently and this one was the absolute best. the escargot was amazing and different not just soaking in butter. the muscles were of an extremely high caliber and very large and the bone marrow was to die for. I had it for dessert. The wine selection was particularly good as well. And the staff was fantastic, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous French food, ambienceoaklandeaterVIPDined on 11/15/2014I had been to Michel twice before for dinner but never for brunch. It was fabulous! We went to celebrate my birthday. My friend and I both had the Croque Monsieur, add egg, so it became a Croque Madame. Perfectly grilled bread -- the best part of the sandwich -- and delicious, crispy (even till the end when they were cold) frites (fries). They also serve a very tasty, spicy Bloody Mary, which is hard to find. The only thing I would have liked to have been different is the service. While the hostess/server was nice, she was aloof, not warm, and not attentive at first. She warmed up as the meal went on. The other two times I've been there, everyone was friendly and warm and attentive so maybe it was just an off day. Would highly recommend brunch and the Bloody Mary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch reviewfarpointdiveVIPDined on 11/9/2014Although we've eaten at Michel's several times for dinner, this was one of our first brunches. Excellent choices and creative presentations. Although we didn't have wine for brunch I know they have a truly fun wine list that you can experiment with. Lakeshore is a fun place on Sunday mornings. Lots of sunshine and good walking about.Special Features:
- Excellent in every wayTravelingGeorgeDined on 11/8/2014Our search for a genuine French-style bistro is over. Michel hits all the notes, from food quality and ambiance to service. The all-French wine list is a delight. The only downside, and it is small, is that the menu choice is somewhat limited. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and very good foodBarbhmVIPDined on 11/8/2014Four of us ate here for lunch over the weekend. The lamb burger my husband ordered was the best he's ever eaten. Two of us had the Croque Monsieur with frites--frites were perfect and the cheese on the sandwich was delicious. A wonderful French bistro and we would definitely come again--next time for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I want this place to suceedMunchmunchVIPDined on 11/7/2014Go here for the great service, french accents, super wine list and ambience. The bib salad was delicious. Mussels were fine, fries portion a little on the small side perhaps. Escargot dish very interesting - in a good way. Get a main dish that you KNOW (or can hope) is cooked "to order" (stake, burger etc). My sole dish was almost cold, reminding me of canteens/large kitchens I've worked where cooking up a large tray of any one dish saves time. I hope this is not what happened but it was disappointing as was the cassoulet. But I do think that Michel Bistro is onto something good, and will iron out early kinks.Special Features:
- OtownsusieDined on 11/1/2014This was our first visit to Michel but won't be the last! We were there at lunchtime on a Saturday and they were using the brunch menu. We had a hard time deciding as everything coming out of the kitchen looked fantastic. I had the duck confit hash which looked gorgeous and was delicious. My companions had the Croque Monsieur and a Croque Madame and agreed they were the most beautiful ones we had ever seem! Tasted amazing, too. The French owners are friendly and charming. A very relaxed and unpretentious atmosphere, and it has a full bar. A great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not Classic FrenchMikkiVIPDined on 10/31/2014We liked the ambience very much. We ordered Fr. On. Soup and we got very sweet caramelized onion/shredded chicken or turkey, some croutons of some sort, a few dabs of cheese; Ordered a mushroom tart and got a crispy flat bread with many roasted garlics, mushrooms, onions, sun dried tomatoes ... didn't look like a tart but more like a facsimile to a pizza and tasted different. Service: ok. ordered mussels that were excellent. Prefer all dishes to be traditional fr. fare. Oh well
- French bistro foodfarpointdiveVIPDined on 10/31/2014They had French onion soup on special that evening which is what my friend, whose birthday we were celebrating, really loves so that was perfect. I love the ability to order a half bottle of really good wine. The escargot was a disappointment...I'd expected garlic and butter and had them out of the shell in pesto which I didn't enjoy quite as much and I have all of my Provençale tart in the fridge because it was too salty and too rich. Will have to go back for other stuff including brunch!.Special Features:
- Great Brunch Spot!alexandraDined on 10/25/2014Loved this place! Yummy food, fantastic brunch. And they take reservations! No more waiting 2 hours for a table on a Sunday morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bountiful bistroCoupdeGrace5Dined on 10/19/2014Hard to find a great "real" bistro, but Michel comes as close to Paris as I've found in the States. Easily one of the best charcuterie and cheese plates I've had. Our server, Natalie was attentive without being intrusive, and was quite knowledgeable about the wine as well. My husband and I were treated to a complimentary burlap bag of warm sliced baguette served with green olive tapenade instead of butter. We could've ended our dinner there. We shared a salad, the charcuterie plate, the cheese plate and then then moules frittes...any one of the items following the salad would've been enough...we left more than satisfied.Special Features:
- would have really enjoyed it!farpointdiveVIPDined on 10/19/2014There were tons of people there for brunch and we are so sorry that we headed out and had a lovely brunch then realized we were in the wrong restaurant.
- WaltDined on 10/18/2014Excellent Food and service. Innovative dishes. Loved the bone marrow. Canneloni was excellent. The sole was served with an excellent rendition of brussels sprouts. dessert was terrific, pumpkin spice creme brulee. The best French restaurant we have experienced in the Oakland area.Special Features:
- Good food good winefoodforthoughtVIPDined on 10/18/2014Many wines by the glass, the duck confit hash is fantastic.Special Features:
- At last!MsFoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Finally, a French neighborhood restaurant we can really recommend. Service was great & when a quieter table opened up shortly after we were seated the hostess asked if we'd like to move. Bread & green olive tapenade was yummy. The bone marrow was so rich we could have stopped there (but we didn't) and the gem salad was served with a very flavorful whipped roquefort dressing. The lamb burger was good, although hubby complains that lamb doesn't taste like lamb any more. Probably most people don't mind that. We don't know French wines, but we picked a very interesting tannat that went well with the lamb. The only mis-step was pumpkin creme brulee. Traditional is best, especially with other bistro favorites like mussels, frites, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pefectly French!SunnySandyVIPDined on 10/17/2014This was our second time at Michel. We enjoyed it so much that we had to bring our friends to it! As in the first time, the food and service was perfect. We had a variety of appetizers and enjoyed every one of them. The main courses were delicious. Our first visit we were seated in the front of the restaurant and it was a bit too energetic for us. This time we were seated in the back of the restaurant where there only are two tables. It was perfect - quiet and cozy. Our only suggestion would be to have more than one seafood choice on the menu.Special Features:
- Truly FrenchOaklandbornDined on 10/17/2014It is so nice to have a neighborhood restaurant that provides a friendly french staff that is happy to engage in conversation in either English or French. The food is delicious and the wines and cocktails varied and pleasant, yet not commonly found elsewhere. We enjoyed sharing the lamb burger and the gem salad this time, after an appetizer of wonderful chickpea flour "panisses".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Restaurant in the RotationlivinLGVIPDined on 10/12/2014Michel has a great, simple menu. I love it when restaurants make only a few things but make them very well which is what this restaurant does. I am always wary of the restaurants that have a million things on the menu--it means they make NONE very well. I had the rabbit cassoulet with a wonderful squash soup and loved it. The service was good and helpful in making decisions. I will definitely go back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gem!LuluDined on 10/12/2014Great food, amazing service, and an incredible value. We've spent double the money at other restaurants and haven't had such a wonderful meal or experience. Happy to have found it; will definitely return. Looking forward to trying their brunch.Special Features:
- French food MedleyLadyTVIPDined on 10/10/2014It's so nice to have authentic french cuisine in Oakland. Gem salad, charcuterie assortment, and modules frites were excellent! Service was relaxed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jfhsVIPDined on 10/10/2014Unbelievably good food and service. The best mussels I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the DriveCoCoCountyDinersDined on 10/9/2014After trying to locate a French restaurant in Contra Costa County for our 43rd wedding anniversary and based on the reviews here, we decided on Michel's restaurant and made the 40 minute drive. Parking on Lakeshore was a small challenge. We were greeted at the door by both Michel and his wife, who said to take any double table we wanted. We chose a window seat tucked in an alcove, which might have increased the restaurant noise level, but still very acceptable. Their champagne cocktail was unique and complemented the large cheese platter. Both entrees were excellent with the sole being the best I've had. The service was both friendly and attentive. No matter where you live in the east bay, I would recommend giving Michel's a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A needed additionjmrobertsDined on 10/5/2014There aren't really any French restaurants in Oakland, so I was really excited to try Michel. Right off the bat, the service was really disappointing. Basically, if you are hungry or in any kind of hurry, don't eat here. If you have 2 and a half hours for dinner, go for it. It took 5 minutes to even get waters and then over 10 minutes for our server to say hi. The starters we got, duck salad and potato leek soup were only OK, but our entrees were very good. We tried Sole Meuneire and Hanger Steak. The sauces were good and everything was really well seasoned, not over-salted. I would recommend coming here and sitting at the bar counter to bypass the slow table service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at MichelSundaybruncherVIPDined on 10/5/2014Had Sunday brunch for 4, we were all pleased with the food and service, dishes ranged from eggs benedict to croque monsieur, very French/province like fee, as advertisedSpecial Features:
- Favorite BistroHCheng13VIPDined on 10/4/2014Love it. Went there twice in one week. Wonderful French offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findHillfolksVIPDined on 10/3/2014The chef/owners are doing a great job of creating a cozy but hip neighborhood place with personality and style. The French inspired menu is done right and the way the accompanying (French) wines are offered by class grouping is enjoyable for both novice and experienced drinkers. The service was pitch perfect and the music, which is often innocuous or distracting at other restaurants, was an added dimension of enjoyment. The personal touch in all areas of the dining experience is what will make you remember Michel and want to return. Another example of the blossoming Oakland restaurant scene...Special Features:
- Michel was having an off nightJNChVIPDined on 10/3/2014This was our third time dining at Michel. Unfortunately this time was not a good experience. It took forever for the waitress to take our drink orders. But the drinks never arrived. After about 40 minutes our salads arrived but still no drinks. We finally flagged down the waitress, and she admitted that she never placed the drinks order. The owner came by and said the wine and mineral water would be on the house. The drinks arrived shortly. Unfortunately we had to wait another hour to get our entrees. We had been seated at 7:30p but didn't get our entrees until 9:45p. Needless to say we didn't order dessert. To cap off the evening, the electricity went out for about 5 minutes. We may give Michel another chance, but not certain.
- Great new neighborhood spotjojomaDined on 10/1/2014Love Michel! We made our reservation on Open Table with a special seating request and was pleased to see that they took special note and saved the exact table we wanted! It was a lovely evening, I would say to any diner, don't come here if you're in a rush. It's a great place to relax and enjoy the cheese platter and the warmed olives with your drinks before dinner. Lamb burger is great, triple cream Brie is heaven, oh the bread, cocktails and wine selection is fine. I will continue to visit Michel!Special Features:
- Mmmm Mmmm GreatLakeshoreLocalDined on 9/27/2014GREAT food, efficient charming service and noise level tolerable even on a full Saturday night (for quasi-geezers like us) as the restaurant is small. It's not an elegant, white tablecloth place, more like a bistro setting with superb food. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spot, will be a regularmoonieDined on 9/26/2014Of all the new places in Oakland, this one is our favorite, so far. Very warm, friendly and attentive service, and delicious food as well.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantJCPostDined on 9/26/2014The service was excellent and the food was very good. We loved the cheese plate, olives, french fries, and escargot. The wine was excellent and the option of purchasing wine in 350 and 500 ml portions was appreciated. We had the poached cod and short ribs for our main course. Both were good, but could have been improved in execution.Special Features:
- nice placeseniors2dineDined on 9/18/2014Nice addition to Lakeshore. Parking is biggest problem. Food very good. French waiter friendly but slow and seemed little stressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new additionCarterWhoDined on 9/17/2014Lakeshore/Grand has been a hotspot of new exciting restaurants. Cuisine fusions and mixtures are the rage but a true French cuisine is a rare find. Michel is a creative gem built on traditional French DNA.Special Features:
- Brunch at MichellovetoeatgreatfoodDined on 9/14/2014Very tasty dishes however, hygienically speaking... I ordered a cup of coffee with cream and as I sipped away, I noticed a food particle attached to the inside of the cup. I notified the wait person and she took my cup. She returned with another cup of coffee, however, it did not appear to be a fresh cup of coffee. She returned it with what appeared to be my coffee with cream in it. I don't know if she just poured my old coffee into another cup, but found this to be unappetizing and pardon the pundt, "not my cup of "coffee" to drink again, possibly just poured into a new cup? I expected a new cup of coffee with fresh black coffee in it where I would add my own cream. I am hesitant to return due to the coffee incident.Special Features:
- Tranported to ProvenceHereNowDined on 9/11/2014Sat at the bar and felt I was actually in Provence - very authentic. Friendly, knowledgeable help. The food and wine was 'magnifique'. Had gem salad with fresh, fresh lettuce, shaved radishes, and a wonderfully light vinaigrette dressing. The short ribs were lean and tender with a sauce bursting with Provencal flavor. Topped off with a sensual peach mascarpone tart creation for desert. Wines (French, of course) were excellent. Highly recommend Michel.Special Features:
- Great new findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2014We were happy we found this place. The lamb burger was really good and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has so much charm!ThankyouandenjoyDined on 9/10/2014This place has so much charm! The food is wonderful, the service and presentation are beyond exceptional. I feel well cared for when I'm there.Special Features:
- Excellent Neighborhood BistroDaveyKnowsDined on 9/10/2014Inventive and delicious food, perfect service, creative wine arrangement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.