Michael's - Santa Monica
1147 3rd St.
Santa Monica, CA 90403Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Michael's - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.michaelssantamonica.com/
- Phone: 310-451-0843x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour / Bar: Monday - Saturday 5pm to Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Stern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Michael's - Santa Monica
Come enjoy our NEW exciting, sharable and accessibly priced chef-driven menu! Michael's Santa Monica has maintained the standard for 'California Cuisine' with our newly renovated art filled indoor/outdoor garden dining, bar and private party spaces. Our new menu is composed from the finest ingredients from the Santa Monica Farmer's Market and products responsibly sourced from the best sustainable producers. Enjoy one of our "Farm-to-table" cocktails, craft beers or a a bottle from our award winning wine list.Continued
"A true locavore experience"
"A true locavore experience"
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Michael's - Santa Monica - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Michael's - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (56)romantic (40)neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (32)good for groups (17)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (10)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fifth visit was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/22/2014We like MICHAEL'S, but on Friday evening things went great we had a bad table, every table was too close, lots of groups, waiters bumping our guest's chair as they passed (did not appear to realise they were bumping her chair), brought the wrong wine by the maître de, waited nearly 45 mins for starters, food was nice however not the market driven food we gave enjoyed previously. Not sure we will return - certainly not in a hurry.
- Still greatChesterVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had another lovely dinner at Michaels this week in which we did a small plates style meal. Everything from the charred corn soup to the duck tacos, hamachi appetizer, sliders and mushroom pizza was perfect and it was fun to try so many of the dishes that mark the change from the spot's white table cloth days to the fresher, more casual present incarnation. Michael's is always on our short list and we will be backSpecial Features:
- Great Outdoor Dining and AmbienceLuv2dineVIPDined on 8/16/2014Summer time is perfect for a visit to Michaels to enjoy their patio. The garden experience allows you to hear your dining partner without the clatter of most restaurants in this day and age. They have a varied menu that offers items that are reasonably priced for a prestige restaurant such a Hamburger sandwich ($18), Tacos ($12) and pizza from $12 to $14. Three persons in our group of six enjoyed the hamburgers. One person ordered the Pork Chop which was excellent. Salmon and Sea Bass are $27. Our dinners averaged $100 per couple, but the experience was worth it. Lots of sides & appetizers ranging in price from $5 to $18. Service was good. Michael was on hand to great the guests. A special occasion treat.Special Features:
- Just WOW!!MeeeishhDined on 8/15/2014I knew I was in for a good experience, but I had no idea it was going to be one of the BEST dining experiences ever!! I'm a frequent diner of top restaurants all around, so I feel confident in saying this restaurant was very on point! Beautiful ambiance, great staff--full of personality, food was amazing, cocktails were delicious and creative, and the wine list was one of the best I've seen! The GM let me try a new wine he had added, and the owner, Michael himself, even came by! Just what a charm. I want more restaurants to be like this!! Go here and you'll be happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michaels is AwesomePlasiter67Dined on 8/14/2014Go - you won't be disappointed. Michaels is simply fantastic in every way. Great food/service/ambiance. Awesome. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AB FAB!!cathieloloVIPDined on 8/2/2014We really ordered well. Fish tacos, vegetable pizza, citrus salad, corn soup. All EXCELLENT! Thanks, Michael's. :)Special Features:
- First time I've been disappointedcathieloloVIPDined on 7/26/2014Menu's cropped 2 items I **ADORED** - the wonderful vegan Risotto that could be transformed into a vegetarian or non-vegetarian dish. SORELY missed. The other item is the amazing green salad with walnuts and goat (?) cheese, that I always ordered. Now, for what we did order. The Roasted Mushroom Taco was so-so. The Corn Chipotle Aioli, Cotija Cheese was so-so. The Heirloom Tomato and Burrata was so-so. The Charred Broccolini Feta, Lemon was INEDIBLE. Neither of us could cut it with a knife, or chew it. Exchanged it for corn soup. I'm going again on 8/2 and will order differently. I'm SURE it will be much better this time. Don't know what was up with the chef 2 nights ago - not a pretty picture; definitely not up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Michael's Again!RonInSantaMonicaVIPDined on 7/24/2014Although it is only 3 blocks from where we live we have not been to Michael's for years after seeing all the poor reviews. On the suggestion of a friend we tried again and the new chef has turned it around. Service was great and when we asked too many detailed questions the chef came out and explained everything in detail. He now changes the menu regularly, we will be back to see what's new. Only strange thing was that the Dine LA menu was actually more expensive in some cases than ordering the same items a la carte - I have seen this at other places, Dine LA is something of a fraud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back again...mekleeDined on 7/23/2014I hosted a private party here 25 years ago so have a sentimental attachment to this beautiful space. I am impressed with its longevity as we all know that the restaurant business can be fickle. Praises to Michael for being adaptive to change. What used to be a pricey special occasion place is now affordable with a fun and varied menu while remaining special.Special Features:
- Michael'stopangaVIPDined on 7/22/2014We always love to dine here...Michael always has time for his diners; friendly, helpful staff and the food and setting are lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersLeonaDined on 7/18/2014This was a lovely experience. It was the first time we have gone to this restaurant. Our waiter was friendly, knew the menu well and did come to check back several times to see if we needed anything. The plates were pretty to see and wonderful to eat. Sitting outside on such a beautiful night was typical of southern California.Special Features:
- Nouvelle Michael's06annieDined on 6/28/2014Michael reinvented itself with small plates options (there are some traditional dishes too). Everything we tried was delicious, the service was great, the garden ever so pleasant and...you can even hear yourself talk. Definitely on the top of the list.Special Features:
- Don't Go!AlanTDined on 6/26/2014My wife and I decided to go back to Michael's since we had not been in over a year. We had friends in from out of town. Don't know what's going on. The food has gone down hill. We ordered the salmon starter had to send it back it smelled off. Service was slow and inept. Even the wine guy was bad. There are so many good restaurants around don't go to Michaels.
- Not GoodTerribleDined on 6/21/2014While waiting for the table we could not get a drink at the Bar - Barman ignored us- stood there for 20 minutes.Did not get served . Starters took 1 hour to be served after waiting 45 minutes for the order to be taken.Main course was burnt and fish was off. Had to send the meal back . Terrible Terrible place.
- Another Great Meal at Michael'sDateNightDiningDined on 6/21/2014We have been to Michael's about 10 times over the last 7 years. We have never had anything but a terrific experience. The fun starts in the small but very nice bar area. Let their bartender mix something up for you, and then grab a couple of items from the happy hour menu. The drinks are strong and terrific. Michael changed the style of the menu a year or two ago, and it now features more small plates. The result seems to be a younger and somewhat more vibrant crowd.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2014Michael's was excellent in all respects. Chef visited our table. We'll return. Prices reasonable for the quality of the experience.Special Features:
- Beautiful PatioBigBuyerDined on 6/13/2014My girlfriend and I stopped in for late night dining. The patio was very inviting. The service and food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael's doesn't disappointBellaVIPDined on 6/11/2014definitely a great experience. Loved the outdoor dining and the service and food was up to par. Would definitely like to go back often (even though it is not in my neighborhood). Worth the drive.Special Features:
- The Happiest of BirthdaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014We had dinner here for my husband's birthday. The food, service and ambience were outstanding. The wait staff as well as Michael himself went out of their way to make this birthday event extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, delicious eveningpierpartierDined on 5/31/2014Michael's is a classic that keeps reinventing itself. With the arrival of new executive chef Dustin Taylor, it promises to transform itself yet again. Dustin has already introduced little touches like saffron in the salmon tartar (worked beautifully), but is working on more of his own signature dishes that will appear in the next few months. Meanwhile, on the 23rd anniversary of our first date (!) we shared everything. For us, it's the most fun. The food is very bistro-esque. Gazpacho. Mussels Basquaise. Dutch white asparagus in bacon beurre blanc with an egg yolk. Aged New York steak with crispy frites. Cheese plate and a little Orange Creamsicle Panna Cotta for dessert. All exquisitely prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/31/2014This place is a gem. Make sure you check out the new menu and all the wonderful choices!Special Features:
- Was very disappointedcurlygirlinsmDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 12 year anniversary. I checked the menu before to make sure there were vegan options for my husband, and there were about 4 or 5 options for dinner. I made the reservation at least 3 weeks in advance, and when I received a phone call from Michael's on Friday to confirm our reservation, the hostess acknowledge our anniversary and told me they would make it special. We were seated at a table near a lot of foot traffic outside on the patio. Not a great table. There were only 2 options for vegan food. Two. My husband was not impressed. I had the Jidori chicken and fries. Too salty. Couldn't even finish. Nothing special happened for dessert. No acknowledgement of our anniversary. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Way over pricedMrMaxerooDined on 5/11/2014On Mother's day you can expect it to be busy, which it was. Service was slow and sporadic. Not being a fan of fixed menus, I thought the selection was adequate for our group. However, $55 per plate was way over priced. You would think for that price you might get at least glass of mimosa or champaign, not. You had to pony up an additional $13 for that. My wife had a salad entrée and my son a salmon fillet, which they seemed to like. I had the Eggs Benedict, at least I think that's what I thought I ordered. Two small muffin halves, ham and over cooked poached eggs with a dab of hollandaise sauce. Pathetic. No way was this meal worth $208. Never again at any price.
- The wait staff was not on it!JacksMomDined on 5/11/2014Perhaps they had other help working because it was a holiday but the food order was wrong, drinks didn't come. Almost everything that should have happened didn't....
- Michael's ReinventedJacarandaBlueDined on 5/10/2014Michael's remains fresh and refreshed through the years. New menu with small plates added is full of wonderful surprises. Service has always had a unique informal formality which is very comfortable as well.Special Features:
- AwesomebethebelDined on 5/9/2014Went on Thursday, loved it, took pur friends there friday. The patio is GREAT, and they have heaters if it's chilly out. We had the pizza and risotto, both were delicious. And the heirloom tomato and burrata salad was too. The chocolate cremeux was the best! Very attentive staff. Overall terrific experience. Will return when next in Santa Monica.Special Features:
- Not as good as it once wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/5/2014Michaels is no longer the Michaels that we all once loved. The food and the customers resemble a bad chain restaruant.Special Features:
- The following 614 reviews are from the Michael's - Santa Monica reviews archive.
- They tried to be good.Wanted2likeDined on 5/3/2014took my wife to michaels for our anniversary. I notified them in advance & they gave us a nice table in the patio- a great outdoor patio setting. Our server was very nice. However these are the only positives I can say about Michaels. Most bothersome was that the meals were brought to the table by people who could barely speak English and they tossed our food on the table and left without making sure they got the order right-they didn't. We ordered the margarita pizza, which was basically uncooked dough, with medium warm tomato paste & a small blob of cheese in the middle of each piece. Also had the mushroom risotto which was watery & had little taste.ichaels has been great in the past but it felt like michael hasn't been paying attentionSpecial Features:
- Santa Monica WeekendchefbobcatVIPDined on 5/2/2014This past weekend, Friday, May 2 thru Sunday May 4, my wife and I enjoyed a fantastic weekend in Santa Monica. Friday night we had a memorable dining experience at Michael's. Prior to dinner we enjoyed cocktails at the cozy bar in the front of the restaurant. It was a pleasure to watch Jeff the Bartender mix and pour cocktails of many different varieties that are specialties of Michael's. Just as enjoyable, was our dinner. This restaurant has a menu that should appeal to all different tastes. If you like duck, steak, chicken, vegetarian, etc., you will find excellent choices to satisfy your palate. Also, the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Not a good experienceEmilyVIPDined on 4/26/2014Arrived at 7:30. Took too long to get our drinks. Never saw a morsel of food for one hour. Most of the food was served cold. The excuse was a "new chef". Come on, this restaurant has been in business for years. Show some professionalism! They comped some items on the check to compensate us, however, You can't comp an unpleasant birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Amazing!SparkyMcSparkDined on 4/23/2014Blew away every expectation! Exactly perfect. And those truffle fries... Exquisite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAS1958Dined on 4/19/2014The truffle fries were exceptional. The swordfish was butterflied giving it a less streaky quality and it was well poked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerdgdiningDined on 4/19/2014I reserved through OPEN TABLE for a special occasion dinner for my wife's birthday. We had been to Michael's about 25 years ago. Then it was very upscale and expensive.We were seated in the covered patio which is still a beautiful environment. The menu was very different from our first visit. I had the anchovy salad while we ordered the brussell sprouts as an appetizer. My wife had the salmon while I had the pork chop. The food was good but not great. Service was efficient and unobtrusive. I had informed the restaurant of the birthday and asked for a dessert with a candle. Nothing came of the request other than the regular dessert menu.Special Features:
- Nice to be at Michael's againDeDeVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had not been in awhile and it was nice to be back. The restaurant is still a lovely spot for dinner in the garden. The food is great and not overpriced, as compared to so many restaurants these days. We will be back.Special Features:
- Lovely, delicious and reasonable!JamieDined on 4/12/2014Hadn't been in years-been hearing good things lately. We sat out on the patio on a Saturday night. Not Loud, which is so hard to find in LA these days.. Warm, inviting service. Great cocktails. The truffle fries were too good!! We couldn't stop eating them and the bowl was huge! The salmon was moist, slightly smokey and cooked to perfection. The cheeseburger was great. The fish tacos were actually little tostadas, but really flavorful. For dessert we ordered the sticky toffee pudding and the budino. Both were versions that were different than we expected. ST pudding was spice cakey and budino was like molten chocolate cake. Enjoyed both-just not what name implied. Big surprise was that prices were reasonable! Great dinner! Going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantDiegoGalDined on 4/4/2014I booked a res for me and my husband for our fifth anniversary. We were really impressed. They seated us on their beautifully lit patio in the back. The food is fantastic. My husband loved the extensive wine list and wants to come back just to taste more wines. I went vegan last year and was pleased they had a few vegan items on their menu. The service was great - the waiter was knowledgeable and both the general manager AND the owner walked over to our table to check on us at some point during dinner. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, one of the mostOutstandingDined on 4/1/2014Outstanding, one of the most dining experience in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Spothappy4Dined on 3/22/2014We had a great time at Michael's. The owner, Michael, greeted us at our table. We felt like regulars and at home, even though its been twenty years. All staff were gracious and affable. The food was excellent, market fresh,and creative. The truffle fries were hot and addictive. The Washington oysters lovely and light with a blood orange vinaigrette. My loup de mer was perfectly crusty and delicate and the dark chocolate budino dessert was excellent. The garden setting is intimate, comfortable and vibrant. We were four, three generations, and my 22 yr old son felt it was definitely a hot hangout for an older crowd! Yet he thoroughly enjoyed his hamburger! It was a special occasion, an anniversary celebration, and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but we could barelynankiDined on 3/22/2014Great food but we could barely see what we were eating. Sat out on the patio which is lovely, but in sore need of some outdoor lighting - little white "christmas" lights under the umbrellas would do a world of good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice in 8 days - I'm so lucky!cathieloloVIPDined on 3/15/2014Yes, I was able to bring two Michael's "virgins," as Michael McCarty named them, this Saturday, as well as last Saturday! Both friends loved their food, and I am never disappointed with ANYTHING - the food, atmosphere, or service. Also, Michael McCarty makes the rounds to the diners' tables, and his presence adds to the wonderful experience that is to be had at Michael's!Special Features: