532 Margaret Street
Key West, FL 33040Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelskeywest.com/
- Phone: (305) 295-1300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Requests for specific tables will be honored on a first come first serve basis. If a specific table is a necessity please feel free to call us at 305-295-1300 after 3:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Wilson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Michaels can cater any event from 20 to 200! You can expect our same attention to detail and excellence that you get when you dine with us! Let us make your special occasions out of this world!
- Private Party Facilities: Michaels can accommodate groups from 12 to 30 in our intimate garden. Is your group larger? Our main ding room seats 40. Larger still? Rent out the whole restaurant for a truly memorable event.
- Private Party Contact: Melanie Wilson 305-295-1300
A word from Michaels Restaurant
One of the finest Key West restaurants is nestled among the charming tropical back streets of Key West's Old Town District. Come discover a garden oasis where Chef Michael Wilson and his wife Melanie offer a classic menu with an island twist. Their emphasis on quality and service, coupled with casual island elegance, has established Michaels Restaurant as a favorite of Key West locals and visitors with discriminating dining palates. If you're searching for Key West restaurants, search no further. Treat yourself to a delicious dining experience outdoors in a relaxing Key West garden atmosphere or indoors in one of our two dining rooms. Michaels Restaurant is in Old Town Key West, near the corner of Southard Street- on Margaret Street. "From the first chilled martini to the last sumptuous bite of the warm chocolate volcano, Michaels will delight and satisfy. "Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Michaels Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Key West ›
Michaels Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)special occasion (65)great for outdoor dining (62)romantic (54)fit for foodies (52)notable wine list (31)good for groups (19)late-night find (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- disappointedDrBethDined on 11/20/2014Had heard of great steaks there. We ordered a New York strip...found it to be thin and slightly overcooked. Not in the mood for a redo as late and we just got into town. Oyster appetizer was wonderful. Ambience great.
- ANOTHER GREAT EXPERIENCELinbilDined on 11/19/2014All of our dining experiences @ Michael's have been great and the latest was no exception. Service, food and ambiance are consistently outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!bgsuDined on 11/17/2014As seniors, we appreciated the list of meals served in half portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy a great dinnerDineOutDined on 11/17/2014If you are searching for a place to have a nice dinner in Key West, I highly recommend Michaels. The food was excellent - cannot beat fresh fish and it was very well flavored. Having dinner out on the deck was a very enjoyable way to end a great day and the service was first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent and service was friendly.JakefromRIDined on 11/15/2014The food was absolutely delicious and the service was friendly and observant. Never needed to have to wait to have dishes cleared. Drinks were always topped off and the menu was not overwhelming. However only certain items were available at the bar only such as the cheese fondue which we really wanted but they had plenty of other options. The restaurant was also off the beaten path in a neighborhood and was a good walk from our B&B on Simonton St. That said though it was away from all of the Duval St commotion which made it a unique place. We highly recommend this place if you want great food and be away from the hectic Duval St crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Job!!!!MsTSmith13Dined on 11/14/2014My girlfriends and I spent the weekend in the Keys for 2 birthday's. We did not celebrate a birthday on this night, however it was a great place the food was awesome and I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the Keys! Great job to our server and the entire staff!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most amazing veal chop ever.DougDined on 11/14/2014Had two meals there this trip. First was an amazing veal chop. Flavor was unbelievable, presentation was first class. Second was an excellent cajun spiced rib eye steak. I have had the veal chop there twice before ,a year ago and , it was perfect each time. Service and ambiance are first class. We have been visiting Key West once or twice a year for about 20 years now and have enjoyed what is an exceptional restaurant climate. However , Michael's reigns supreme at this time. We recommend a visit .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly poor serviceGlennHDined on 11/12/2014My wife and I have eaten at Michael's multiple times and up until our last visit this past week, it was always one of our favorites in Key West. The service had always been great, but not this time. Once we were seated, we were not even acknowledged by our server for approximately 20 minutes. We were literally moments away from walking out when he finally came to take our drink order. When I asked about the by-the-glass cabernet special they had, all our server could tell me was that it was from California and that I'd love it. He could not tell me the AVA or even the region - and it was $19/glass. Very odd. After we ordered the wine, it was another 10-15 minutes for it to arrive at our table, and all the while we could see it sitting on the bar. When we placed our appetizer order, I'll admit that I totally butchered the pronunciation but we were both very surprised a the condescending way I was corrected by our server. But the line of the night came when we were ordering our entrees and our server asked us to "take your time, I'm in no rush". Yeah, we pretty much got that already. At least it gave us something to laugh about. As for the food, I've always been very impressed with Michael's and this time was no exception. But it was the service that will probably keep us from returning. There are just too many other great choices in Key West to risk another experience like that.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Wonderful, as always. One of our very favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lite fare menu!LaceyDined on 11/11/2014Loved the fact that for an extremely reasonable price, you can get smaller portions of many of the standard entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food & ServicesoutherndocDined on 11/10/2014We celebrated our anniversary dinner at Michael's. It was our third time dining here, and the food was just as amazing as before. Highly recommend for either a romantic dinner or for those visiting Key West. We eat here every visit, and we plan to eat here again on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best!ExpectedbetterDined on 11/9/2014This is always our best meal in Key West! Highly recommended! Great food! Drinks and wine! Steaks are exceptional. Service is the best around. Try to get a table outside, inside decor is not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbMrZeeDined on 11/9/2014Excellent food.....delicious drinks....and a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Execellent Dining at MichaelsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I love dining here; it was found by a friend of mine and she took me there for my birthday dinner. It was my husband's birthday and I decided to take him there. It was fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost its warmthcatwomynDined on 11/8/2014This was the 3rd time my husband and I have eaten at Michael's over the last 10 years, and while the food was excellent, we found the place has lost some of its warmth. Perhaps it is under new management? We felt that we were being rushed through our dinner, even though the restaurant was not crowded and I had made our reservations months in advance. When my husband asked why we were seated inside, rather than outside, the maître d' inexplicably said that area was reserved. It still was not full (nor was the inside of the restaurant) when we left. So we may skip Michael's the next time we go to Key West. We had much nicer (and less expensive) experiences at Louie's Backyard and Blue Heaven.Special Features:
- Michael's is SO goodmbcubDined on 11/7/2014We returned to Michael's which is our favorite restaurant in Key West. The food and service were as excellent as always. We enjoyed out table outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the listGerriDined on 11/6/2014There are several exemplary restaurants in Key West, but Michael's ranks at the top. The service was wonderful. The food was plentiful and beautifully cooked and presented. Michael makes sure to stop at every table and greet each of his patrons, and the staff emulate his friendly and charming attitude. Absolutely superb meal!Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceChubbycoupleDined on 11/5/2014Having only read great reviews we were looking for to a very special meal. Unfortunately, while the food was prepared well, it did nothing to "wow" us or to entice us to come back again. The salmon special was perfectly prepared, but not as imaginative of a dish as I was expecting. The veal chop, while once again, was prepared properly, reminded me more of a breaded pork chop rather than an expensive cut of meat, worthy of grilling rather than soggy bread crumbs.Special Features:
- Great find in Key WestSparky1976Dined on 11/4/2014We have been coming to Key West for many years. Little did we know what we were missing. We went to Michael's on the recommendation of our favorite lodging establishment, The Garden's Hotel. Michael's is one do their favorites and now one of ours. Only a few blocks walk from The Garden's Hotel and not far from Duval St., yet you have the felling of a neighborhood setting far removed from the Key West hustle and bustle. Michael's is well appointed and we had the fortune to sit outside right in front of a lovely water fountain. We were not rushed and our courses came out well paced. Everyone's meal was over the to delicious and our server was very engaging, knowledgeable, attentive and professional. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- DinerVIPDined on 11/4/2014I have been to this establishment on a number of occasions. So, we were looking forward to a wonderful dining experience, which is the norm. The best part of the evening was the warm, gracious and welcoming greeting by your host, Greg. Our dishes were decent, but service was curt, perfunctory and simply lacked warmth. It took 35 minutes to prepare and although nicely done - pork and meat loaf, no apologies or acknowledgement that we were kept waiting this long was attempted.
- Expensive, butnoodlesDined on 11/4/2014Expensive, but worth every penny. Food is always top-self.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014We had the best experience at Michaels. Our Waiter Rob was excellent, very friendly and informative about our food choices. He gave use wonderful recommendations for both dinner and dessert and he did not disappoint. I had filet mignon with potatoes and veggies. It was done to perfection. You could cut it with a fork. My husband had the veal chop which was also great. For dessert Rob recommended the warm chocolate cake with the gooey chocolate center along with Kahlua and coffee ice cream. It was the best. The atmosphere was very quiet and romantic. It was off the beaten track in Key West. We walked from our hotel and it was very close to everything. I would definitely go back and recommend to all .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get dessertSangriasallyDined on 10/30/2014If banana ice cream is available you should order it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!JjmtmwDined on 10/29/2014Great food! Just couple blocks away from busy Duval street to have nice and quite dinner! Nice appetizers selection and Veal chop was done very nice!Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The staff was very helpful, service was excellent as was the food. I would highly recommend Michael's if you are in Key West. This was by far the best place we had dinner, another place that was highly recommended was not even close to this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodGrantandSusanDined on 10/23/2014We like Michaels. We've never been disappointed. Great steaks, catch of the day, and always the meatloaf (at the bar). Another good dining experience.Special Features:
- RiccoNickDined on 10/22/2014Our party of 10 was seated promptly in the garden during a very busy night during Fantasy Fest in Key West...the food and service was 5 star plus. Michaels is one of the best restaurants in the Keys !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014This restaurant is not listed in any of the magazines for 'local' places to eat, however, came recommended by locals we met when we stopped in Eaton Bike Shop. My husband had the filet mignon, which was perfectly cooked to his liking and was very tender. I had the duck, and it was also prepared very nice with potatoes, vegetables and an excellent reduction sauce. There is a casual atmosphere, we were in The Keys, of course, yet somewhere we could have a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Green salad was a little disappointing because of size, the apple watermelon salad was a better sized salad. The fish (hog-fish and snapper) were both well prepared, and an excellent dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJWurtzDined on 10/16/2014The food and ambience were outstanding!! Would definitely go back here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014Must be one of Key West's most unexpected pleasures. Excellent food and we were treated like royalty. Outside dining was charming and cozy. We loved the entire experience and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodDinerReviewerDined on 10/14/2014We ordered the veal and macadamia mahi, and both were very good. The vegetables were steamed nicely. Outstanding service by Kim. Parking around Michaels is mostly by permit, but we found a spot on one side of Southard St. Inside was nicely air-conditioned.Special Features:
- steakloversDined on 10/13/2014Michael's definitely exceeded our expectations. The presentation was very nice and the steaks were perfectly prepared. Dinner was not inexpensive, but worth it. The service was attentive without being obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant in Key westJeffVIPDined on 10/11/2014I only wish the restaurant was inclosed and had air conditioning! We walked quite a way and it was humid out. Dress accordingly. Everything else was wonderful!Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 10/11/2014Much hype about this place had informed host and open table about anniversary. Given secluded table outside back corner near stairs. Owner kept coming and going by table through narrow space. No fans or AC despite 85+F. There were good selections but high prices. Cocktails were excellent, wine choices limited. Excellent server Kim apologized. We left after appetizers that were so soSpecial Features:
- Fantastic dinner at MichaelsRR05Dined on 10/8/2014A small but well put together wine list started us off to a great dinner. The oyster appetizer was delicious and our main dishes were spectacular - my husband had the stuffed filet forno and I had the snapper both perfectly prepared. They had a chocolate volcano available for dessert but sadly between apps salads and the main we were too stuffed to consider it. The outdoor dining area is nice we sat next to the fountain and it was a bit loud but not too bad - we could still hear each other. We would DEFINATELY recommend Michaels to our friends .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 10/6/2014Lovely Key West mainstay. Wonderful service, along with a warm greeting from the young gentleman host. Meat dishes superb and the wine list is quite noteworthy. Definitely partake of this fine restaurant.Special Features:
- joanq12Dined on 10/3/2014It was wonderful and the food and service were superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceFishfinderDined on 10/2/2014Dined here for our anniversary. Very enjoyable meal and the server brought out a very memorable dessert. It is a few blocks away from the crowds and hustle of Duval Street, which is nice. We will be sure to dine here again visiting Key West again in the future.Special Features:
- Great DinnerDianeDined on 9/30/2014It's our 2nd time at Michael's and again it did not disappoint. It is our favorite place for dinner in Key West! Upon entering the restaurant, we requested inside, not knowing we had to do so when we made the reservation. Gregg the host took care of us beautifully and we were sat inside in a matter of minutes.. Love all the staff and can't wait to go back!Special Features: