Michael's on Simcoe
100 Simcoe St
Toronto, ON M5H 3L2Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Michael's on Simcoe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.michaelsonsimcoe.com/
- Phone: (416) 260-5100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 5:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Derek Von Raesfeld
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: RESTAURANT, BAR AND LOUNGE CAPACITIES
Dining Room: 90 guests
Bar and Lounge: 40 guests
Semi-Private section in the Lounge: 16 guests
Dining Room, Bar and Lounge: 140 guests
Stand Up Reception
Dining Room: 150
Bar and Lounge: 150
Semi-Private section in the Lounge: 50
Dining Room, Bar and Lounge: 250
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 4162605100x
- Entertainment: Live DJ
A word from Michael's on Simcoe
Michael’s on Simcoe playfully combines the best of contemporary cuisine, featuring USDA prime steak, fresh seafood and authentic homemade pastas. Classic cocktails are re-invented to tantalize your taste buds and our extensive wine list will tempt even those with the most discerning taste. Conveniently located in the heart of the Financial and Entertainment districts, Michael’s on Simcoe brings new life to one of the most energetic districts in downtown Toronto. This restaurant breaks down the barriers of a traditional steakhouse by challenging the overly masculine ambience that has long been the trademark of its genre.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Michael's on Simcoe - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Entertainment District ›
Michael's on Simcoe reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)romantic (33)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (26)good for groups (22)hot spot (20)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Birthday Celebration at Michael'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2014love the ambiance of this place – like an elegant dining room setting for a special occasion. The Staff made our evening very enjoyable right from the the moment we stepped into the restaurant to the time we left. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The Chateaubriaund for two was amazing and the Kale lettuce salad was to die for. My son whose birthday we were celebrating had the 16oz Rib Eye and is still raving about it. The extra touch in presenting the Birthday Deserts was a nice surprise. Our Waiter was very knowledge, service between the dishes was well-timed and outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014For a steak that will melt in your mouth, Michaels is the place to be. Excellent wine list and servers are extremely thorough. All staff were very friendly and accommodating. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NathDined on 11/16/2014The service was terrible. The waiter ran away while before I even finished giving my order. The food was not that special. When i asked for a suggestion for wines the waiter automatically pointed to the most expensive one, seriously? For 145$ I expected delicious steak but instead got a bland piece of meat with no flavouring other than the meats own natural flavour. Jacobs offers much more than this place. Would not recommend at this price.
- Very Disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014My friends and I visited Michael's on Simcoe this past Saturday to celebrate my 25th birthday, and although the evening began quite well, we left this establishment feeling overwhelmed with disappointment and awe. Our server was quite lovely and attentive during the duration of our dinner; however, upon the delivery of our bill, over $300.00 of additional charges had incurred- none of which we were made aware of, or had agreed to. We were charged for water we had not ordered, over $50.00 to cut my birthday cake, and a 20% gratuity fee (which is very reasonable for large parties, but information I would have liked to know prior to the bill arriving). After calling the restaurant to inquire about a potential resolution, I was told that it was my responsibility to observe our waitress during the dinner service and that the regular clientele was usually comfortable with such incurred costs at a fine-dining restaurant like theirs. At this point, there was no reason to defend myself or inform the host of my personal experiences at such restaurants after having been so poorly judged and labeled. She offered to refund 50% of the cake-cutting fee, which equated to 7% of the total additional fees I was charged with. I promptly declined this offer. In the future, I hope that no other customer is treated with such great disdain and blindsided with misguided fees. This is the first time I have ever felt inclined to write such a negative review about a restaurant, but in this situation, I feel a complaint is very much warranted.
- Very good restaurantAvalonDined on 11/11/2014This was our second time at Michael's on Simcoe. Love the menu...so many excellent choices. This time I ordered the carpaccio and it came as rolls stuffed with arugula. I much prefer the traditional way of serving carpaccio. Excellent halibut (daily special). Last time I shared the Porterhouse with my daughter and ti was very good. Service is the best!! Its our favourite in the downtown area of Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/11/2014This was the third time I've been to Michael's - it's a bit off the beaten path and would go un-noticed if you weren't looking for it, however, the food is excellent. All three times I've eaten at Michael's, it's been very quiet - only one or two couples in the restaurant - the wait staff are very friendly and knowledgeable, if not a bit too attentive.Special Features:
- Down HillBrynnerVIPDined on 11/1/2014The setting is open, white, spare, bright and loud. Server seemed slow and bored. Steak at 50$+ was way under cooked and so laced with membranes and gristle that a fork could not penetrate the side; also, it was served room temperature. Signature onion rings were dripping grease. Lamb was over cooked, served cool, and tasteless. There is a reason the other steak houses of Toronto were booked days ahead, and reservations available here on the day of dining. If you are looking for a great steak, look elsewhere.
- Amazing Food!!! Every time!!!KJSteamboatVIPDined on 10/30/2014This is still one of the BEST restaurants in the city!!! The Staff, Food and Ambience are outstanding! I took 4 friends for dinner who had not been to Michael's before, and they LOVED everything we ate, and drank!!! Wine list is impressive! Wait staff are so friendly, knowledgeable, and service minded! I will go back very soon!Special Features:
- outstanding food and service!BrettDined on 10/28/2014As always, the dry aged beef is the best I have ever had. Cooked to perfection. The butter tart with cinnamon ice cream is over the top. Top that off with a great recommendation on the wine, and those little touch service elements made a great evening. Well done Michael's on Simcoe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu great, but fails to deliver.GMS33306Dined on 10/24/2014Steak was good but certainly not great. Sides were fine. 3 of us split the approx. 52oz dry aged USDA prime porterhouse for approx. $150 with a couple of sides and felt hungry after. There are better steak places in Toronto and of course, worse places. Service was better than average.
- Excellence on Simcoeluv2dineDined on 10/21/2014Service and food were excellent...thanks so much. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Nice but very expensiveslalomDined on 10/18/2014Overall, this was a great meal, well prepared, presented in excellent surroundings. For the quality of food and service, we found the prices extremely rich. Specialty martinees, while good, were overpriced at $21 each. Sauces for the rather bland chateaubriande ($112) for two were added to the bill at $12 additional. We didn't believe the quality of the meal or the experience justified the high cost - ($600 for 4).Special Features:
- The Keg has better steakPorkins4lifeVIPDined on 10/17/2014Was surprised, as this was my second time at Michaels on Simcoe, to find that the quality of their Wellington raised local meats are sub par at best. Veiny, over-seasoned and too fatty, their 8 oz. striploin was seriously not worth the $36 price tag. I've had better steaks at the Keg. Not to mention they were out of several wines which I had attempted to order. Service was very good and the restaurant itself is beautiful and well kept. Think i'l go to Jacobs next time.....Special Features:
- A wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the dinner, service and wine. Even when the vintage ordered was out of stock, a recommendation was given which surpassed our expectations of the original. The unique method of preparing brussels sprouts was absolutely delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Perfect BirthdayStrawberricDined on 10/16/2014Mouth Watering Food + Lovely Service + Lounging Music = An amazing birthday. Thank you so much Michael's On Simcoe for an unforgettable birthday dinner with my close five friends.Special Features:
- not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014everything on the menu was overpriced starting with the $19 cocktails. the burrata salad was bland and lacked seasoning. My steak was tough and the onion rings have far too much batter on them leaving the onion inside tough as it was not properly cooked. Overall this restaurant did not live up to the hype
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014We went for a birthday dinner and it is a lovely restaurant, I enjoyed the music too although a little surprising. We had excellent steaks although a little pricey. Shrimp cocktail was excellent as were the onion rings. Very nice wine list had a Moscato from Australia.Special Features:
- Simply Outstanding - Oct 4, 2014GmanDined on 10/4/2014Michael's is a fantastic in all aspects. Best steak of all times, delicious drinks, excellent atmosphere. This was our first time and it certainly hits the top of our list going forward. Jenezza, who took care of us all night, was exceptional, funny, accommodating, knowledgeable, informative and just a great young women. Michael, who dropped by the table many times throughout the evening, made us feel welcome as newcomers. Jude, who was in charge of the music that evening, had every song he was requested to play and many more. The sounds satisfied the variable age crowd that were there for the evening and everyone enjoyed it. I felt like I was at a friends place with a variety of company at all ages and we all just had a great time.Special Features:
- Good experienceRoadrunnerDined on 10/2/2014Overall good experience. Staff very attentive and know their stuff. Food was very good. Everyone at our table had a good experience. Prices are high for the value. Nothing to prevent us from coming back, but for these prices we have had 5 star performances elsewhere.Special Features:
- Styles1Dined on 9/27/2014First time there. Can honestly say service (Kelly) was as good as I have ever experienced. Everything timed perfectly and the advice and food choices were outstanding.Special Features:
- First Time VisitingKunajeSelvamDined on 9/25/2014Took my girlfriend here for a romantic dinner. I was very impressed by the service. The staff was attentive and professional. We had the filet and we absolutely loved it! Dessert was great as well. Would definitely re-visit. The only issue was traffic. There is a lot of congestion in the area so we had to take a detour. Michael's did have valet service for $15 (not including tip) which was convenient at the time. I'd recommend taking the GO-train and then subway from Union to Osgoode station.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Absolutely wonderful. From the moment we got there and interacted with the security guard to the moment we left everything was impectable. The server was very attentive and knowledgeable. The food was amazing, drinks were delicious. The overall experience was terrific and look very forward to my next chance to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HendoDined on 9/12/2014The service was impeccable. The waiter explained everything asked of him (ex. Regarding the menu/food) very elaborately and sufficiently. The service provided was incomparable to any other restaurant I've been to. The food was also really good, met my expectations. The environment I felt was great, more so for a romantic dinner or special occasion. Overall, great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGtrishDined on 8/27/2014Michael's on Simcoe is a five star plus dining experience! Michael's attention to detail, hospitality, wine list, menu is meticulous. It was one of the finest dining experiences we have had in Toronto! Aside from the outstanding food and service, the ambience can't be beat! I highly recommend this restaurant to all who appreciate the finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Amazing ServiceLorysaVIPDined on 8/23/2014My boyfriend and I are regulars here as the food and service are both phenomenal. The second ever time we came, the staff remembered both us our and preference for flat water/white wine/etc. As we've continued to come back, the service gets better each time! The kitchen staff are absolutely amazing and produce some of the best food in Toronto (in my opinion). Of all of the amazing restaurants in Toronto for us to choose from, we keep coming back to Michael's because it is simply the best.Special Features:
- cinOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Went for special occasion. .beautiful napa wine..the gnocchi was outstanding...the mac and cheese was decadent. ..steak was delicious...fish was slightly overcooked but was flavourful. Great service..I would highly recommend it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJerry2033VIPDined on 8/17/2014We had to push our reservation back an hour due to late flights, and they could not have been more hospitable. The food was awesome, and the staff was great. When ever i go to Toronto, i will be back. The bar was very upscale, and the service was prompt. I had a group of a dozen and everyone asked how i found such a great restaurant. A real findSpecial Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/14/2014As usual the excellent food at Michael's was matched by great service. We have been there a few times and the waiter recognized us and even more remarkable remembered what we had ordered the last time ??!!?? Great evening, would highly recommend and suggest that first time patrons not be influence by the fact that the location is in a basement. Once there the décor and staff will make you feel as if you are dining on the top floor of a building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding foodMaleks1Dined on 8/12/2014A must try. This place is a hidden gem. The food is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant evening w/ v good foodnickDined on 8/8/2014Gracious pleasant ambiance; accommodated our Open Table request (re seating away from fridge meat display, advance notice about one vegetarian); nice wine & drinks choices; lobster gnocchi & veg risotto both excellent, recommended; all the staff are v professional. Beef choices extensive (and expensive although beef prices are up now), seems to be their specialty - but we were v satisfied with the Italian options. Winning resto when you'd like to be taken care of in a courteous manner indicating that your patronage and experience were valued.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ecellent food & service experience!JennDined on 8/6/2014I’m always nervous finding the right restaurant when my colleagues come to Toronto as they are foodies with very high standards, but Michael’s exceeded all of our expectations! There were seven of us for dinner and three have different food allergies (always a tricky situation). Our primary waiter was Kelly and he ensured that every detail was taken care of for our dining experience. The food and wine was excellent and everyone enjoyed the evening. I highly recommend Michael’s!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael's on Simcoe!ormond17Dined on 8/5/2014Michael's continues to offer the same impeccable food and service as experienced during earlier visits. Nothing appears to have changed except we found it an even better dining experience than previously! My husband had lamb which he claimed to be the best lamb he has ever had in a restaurant setting. I had the halibut which was fresh, creamy and unbelievably flavourful. My daughter loved the rib steak and her side of macaroni and cheese. One member of our party had the strawberry risotto which we all tasted and loved. The steaks were, as usual, excellent and the service attentive and knowledgeable. We had an assortment of desserts, each and every one of them beautifully presented and exceptional in taste. Lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Food and serviceGwenDined on 8/1/2014Exceptional fine dining and outstanding service. I would highly recommend Michael's for everday meal or a special occassion. We celebrated a birthday and the staff made sure to remember the little touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Michael's on Simcoe reviews archive.
- Exceeded ExpectationsJDM53Dined on 7/24/2014This has to be one of the finest restaurants in Toronto. The food was beyond reproach but the service was even better. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- letsgrabdinnerDined on 7/22/2014We went to Michael's for a b'day dinner. It was great and we enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome RestaurantAfroGirlDined on 7/22/2014My 3 friends and I had dinner here on a Tuesday night and we absolutely loved it. My corn risotto was lovely and I ordered a perfectly done rib-eye steak and was extremely happy with it. My friends also had steaks and we all felt they were the best steaks we've had in a long time. Great desert menu and wine list. Awesome service, our waiter Kelly could not have been more attentive without being intrusive. The surroundings were lovely and the bathrooms are a treat. I leave you to discover why yourself. All around excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- rubberDined on 7/19/2014Loved the Ambience, The bar was really cool.Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Good foodlookingforrealfoodDined on 7/19/2014The food was very good. But the portion size was a bit too small even for a small portion lover. The waiter I found cold and not friendly enough. No small talk, no attempt to sell the daily specials. We were seated in the back corner which I found from a decorating perspective to be extremely boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprisefitfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Did lunch at Michael's for summerlicious with a couple co-workers, and we were all pleasantly surprised. Incredibly attentive service, great food, and a very calm ambiance. The dining room was the perfect temperature, nice modern decor, and comfortable chairs. Not sure what the pricing is like on the regular menu, but the summerlicious menu was great value. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SummerliciousLiciousFanDined on 7/17/2014Two of us went for lunch (first time @ this restaurant) as the menu selection/descriptions appealed to us, but we were disappointed. Appetizers: Tomato sauce for the Calamari was acidic/harsh & the pasta lacking in interesting flavours, although the fennel sausage was tasty. Mains & Dessers: Burger & Orata were okay, but nothing special, as were the Fruit Crumble & Cheese Cake. The breads served prior to the appetizers, as well as the bun for the burger had great texture & were delicious - kudos to the kitchen for the breads if baked inhouse.