24 West 55th Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelsnewyork.com/
- Phone: (212) 767-0555 ext. 1
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 9:30am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Closed on Sunday (Private Events Only) Contact Robyn Wolf Director of Special Events 212-767-0555 ext 6 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kyung Up Lim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Our beautiful indoor Garden Room welcomes private parties from 20 to 150 guests. Decorated with fresh seasonal flowers and contemporary works by noted artists including Frank Stella and Robert Graham, the setting is ideal for a wide range of events
- Special Events: It's always a great party at Michael's New York, where we take pride in delivering great food, great drinks, and great service.
Our beautiful indoor Garden Room welcomes private parties from 20 to 130 guests.
A word from Michael's
A unique, spacious dining and garden room filled with fresh flowers and modern art by Stella, Johns and Hockney as well as sculptures by Robert Graham.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Michael's reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (57)fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (34)hot spot (21)good for groups (17)romantic (15)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (11)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/24/2014Everything we had was great. We went for a friends birthday and the staff was awesome. We shared some appetizers and had big plates. Definitely consider an extra side for a small plate dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael's is like dining in a private museum.OnnieDined on 11/21/2014This is a warm and gracious restaurant with superb service. Near MoMA, supper was an extension of our museum visit. Our menu was proffered with a catalog listing of the contemporary art that lined the walls. This is my new Manhattan favorite, accommodating both theater goers before a show, or those of us interested in a leisurely cocktail and scrumptious meal to end a perfect day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My usual go-to was a miserable showingLagourmandeVIPDined on 11/21/2014I have been to Michael's many times for lunch and often bring clients. It is usually a special experience. This time, it was awful. We had trouble gettinf the order in and sat for over two hours. When we finally did place the order of a simple salad & pizza, it was already 40 mns into lunch. We asked 3times for limes for the sparkling water, it never came. We asked 4 times for bread and it was brought after we were served our salad. Then, it was taken away. We waited for our second course and tried to get their attention. Mind, we were sitting in the front room near the entrance where there was a lot of traffic. Second course never arrived. My guest had to return to the office. I spoke to the wait staff and to the manager, but everyone just shrugged and seemed not to care. I spoke with Danny and he too apologized. Damage was already done. My bill was $45 for a salad, $5 for bread that came and went and $9 for water. This is no longer my go-to spot. I was truly surprised by how little they cared and the neglect we experienced during our visit.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing place and Michael is wonderful!krzeee1VIPDined on 11/19/2014We heard about this place and it certainly lived up to what I had been told and read. Thanks for a wonderful meal, great service, and we will be back next time we are in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Spot for Lunch or DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/19/2014Michael's is incredibly consistent - good food, great ambiance, gracious staff and a host, Michael McCarthy, who cares about his guests' experience. This is the best place I know of for an unhurried experience. The staff is attentive but allow the guests to set the pace. What a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- in a corner, content, Michael says Hello.jamesthe1stDined on 11/17/2014we found a corner table free and were free ourselves to just be there and talk without distraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the "Best" in New York - don't miss it!Papa46Dined on 11/10/2014Atmosphere, food ,service and Staff; all top of the line! In my opinion this is in top 5 of NYC restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DWC1919VIPDined on 10/31/2014Consistently good food and service. One of the few resataurants where you can carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backboston2nyDined on 10/31/2014We loved the food, the service, and the fact that even our 6 year old granddaughter proclaimed this her new favorite restaurant in NY. She was treated royally. But even if we had been there without her, we would have been just as pleased with everything and we are so glad we discovered Michael's.Special Features:
- An occasion - not just lunchgmaloneDined on 10/31/2014Michael meets and greets and takes care of all guests assiduously - from the famous regulars to the one-off drop-ins. The dishes are a thoughtful blend of ingredients that "work" and the wine list is well-priced. But, it's the ambience that makes Michael's really special. Colourful art, a wonderfully light garden room - and a constant buzz.Special Features:
- A good, solid choiceNanaphilaDined on 10/24/2014My husband picked out Michael's, conveniently located near MOMA and a comfortable walking distance from Broadway theatres, for us senior day-trippers from Philadelphia, celebrating my birthday. It filled the bill perfectly, serving as a quiet respite from the noise and bustle of the world outside, especially as we ate early (5:30 pm). The ambiance is white-tablecloth conventional-elegant, certainly not hip or youthful but very pleasant. The menu is eclectic, some odd pairings (e.g. Duck confit tacos) but nothing shocking and each dish we tried was truly delicious. The only problem was not great value, to our eyes. Small portions, everything is a la carte, water is a $6 or $8 liter, $8 for an espresso. It's Manhattan, be prepared.Special Features:
- Quite lovely!NICKISFNYCDined on 10/23/2014I can't say enough good things about this restaurant, quite lovely on all counts. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Not as good as many others nearbyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was fair, uninspired, the pork chop "special" was actually tough. Although the menu states that bread is $3, we were surprised that it cost $6 for the two ofus and it was just so-so quality bread at that. Would not return.
- SuperbNancyVIPDined on 10/7/2014Great food and service. Perfect place for a special lunch or business meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall averageAmadeus301VIPDined on 10/6/2014I found Michaels to be an ok place. Service was a bit slow and the food was good. So many choices in the area with an overall better offering; i am not sure if I will pick Michaels in the near futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/24/2014Breakfast California omelette overlooked and tasteless. Toast cold. Coffee good.
- Great againPRSperoVIPDined on 9/23/2014"ordinary" shrimp cocktail, grilled salmon, glass of Barolo simply estraordinarySpecial Features:
- rushed and impersonalkombuchamotherDined on 9/17/2014Service was poor. Food was fine. Restsurant needs a facelift.
- southendfoodieDined on 9/15/2014Have been here numerouse times and always love coming back. Wonderful staff, excellent food and great prices for the area. Will continue to come back and refer friends to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marina2Dined on 9/10/2014Food was excellent. Portions weren't too big. My one complaint is that the noise level was "energetic," ie, I had to strain to hear what my guest was saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/29/2014MICHAEL'S is always good and classy, not usually "great". Ours was a quiet business lunch on Friday, the start of the Labor Day week, so Michael's was relatively quiet. I selected for the location primarily for the convenience of my client.
- DiamondreamDined on 8/21/2014Generally good experience just more expensive than expected.Special Features:
- disappointmenttopcatDined on 8/18/2014seems like the menu and the restaurant is in need of a refresh and update - seems stale
- Wildly good food; service not soEatsWellNYCVIPDined on 8/18/2014What wonderful food! But the waitstaff seems harried and disorganized, as if they were dropped from the sky into a restaurant. First, it took about 8 minutes for our server to appear. I had to ask if there were specials (there were). I had ordered iced tea, which came after my entree, once I asked for it a second time. The beet salad was amazing, nicely dressed, beautifully presented. My husband asked for cocktail sauce with his oysters, but it never came, until he asked again. There was a looong wait between courses. The crusted salmon was perfectly cooked and the sweet corn ravioli was heaven. I would walk 5 miles for the spinach and the grilled asparagus: crazy good. Please work on the service, people. Your kitchen richly deserves it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I ordered the food from the restaurant week menu. The salmon tartar, it melts in your mouth and flavor is excellent. The ribeye steak is delicious but the ice cream is a little to sweet for my taste. Their ambience is very suitable for couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael's Is A Find!!!Generallyeasy2pleaseVIPDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful restaurant with all the attributes you seek in the "finest"! All is great at Michael's and I would return every week if I could. Can not say enough about this marvelous "find".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014food was good, but I found them a bit sneaky. I had to ask for a restaurant week menu, though it was a restaurant week. Menu did not have a price on it. They suggested to order a side dish for the burger, we did not realize that it will be $9 extra for a plate of stir fries. So be careful what you order, and ask questions, do not assume anything. They charge for bread too.Special Features:
- NoisyVIPDined on 8/13/2014Michael is the consummate host - he greeted every table, and added to the inviting atmosphere. The food was very good, and even with restaurant week menus, the portions were substantial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new findSylviaDined on 8/12/2014I selected Michael's for a Restaurant Week lunch meeting because the menu included items that my friend and I could eat on our restricted diets and also because of the location. The food was delicious, not especially inventive, but well-prepared and attractively presented. My favorite part of my meal was the carrot-ginger soup, which WAS inventive with its additions of yogurt and almonds. The staff was cordial and attentive, and Michael himself came to greet us as if we were special guests. I was most appreciative of the low noise level, due perhaps to the ample space between tables, that allowed us to have a quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food ok but too noisyloveditVIPDined on 8/12/2014Liked that you could get a small glass of wine. But who charges extra for bread?Special Features:
- Michael'sOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/7/2014Had the bulgogi burger, which was awesome. Juicy and tasty.Special Features:
- Good food and setting.CriticalbutniceDined on 8/6/2014Lovely room and food. Attentive service. Bright and colorful dining room; good looking, well dressed crowd. (Nice art displayed!) Not big, or noisy. A pleasure.Special Features:
- service with poor attitudeNYCgalVIPDined on 8/5/2014The restaurant may be filled with customers who are not regulars during restaurant week. This appears to allow service to become very unwelcoming and abrupt to others. The very good food does not compensate for the very poor service - long time to take orders, condescending attitude to reasonable questions (such as what is the difference between a regular Arnold Palmer and Michael's Arnold Palmer).Special Features:
- Good, not great.neeneeVIPDined on 8/4/2014Went here with friends because it was convenient for our theater plans..food was okay, not memorable (can't remember what we ate)! However, we DO remember asking for bread and then finding a $12 charge for it on our bill!
- Good pre-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/1/2014We went to Michael's during restaurant week and before going to a show at nearby Manhattan Theater Club. The pre-fixe dinner menu was very nice. The Salmon Tartar appetizer was particularly good. The room was lovely and the noise level was relatively low, good for being able to hear your dinner partners' conversations. All in all a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinedanddinesDined on 8/1/2014The food and ambiance were excellent. However, our server, when we asked a suggestion for a cold, pre-lunch drink suggested a rose'. We didn't ask the price but we were shocked to discover that while our lunch was a restaurant week bargain, the one glass of wine was $16.00, which brought our total cost up to $45 for lunch. While they are certainly entitled to charge what they want for wine, it might have been more gracious to indicate the cost of a "full" versus a "half" glass of a very expensive rose'. It seemed as though the expensive glass of wine was designed to offset the reasonable charge for a very pleasant, but not outstanding lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Went for restaurant week. Enjoyed our experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/31/2014Our experience here was "Very Good" but in the context of a Restaurant Week meal it was "Outstanding"! Congrats to Michael's!
- Lovely meal, flawed serviceopentableopentableDined on 7/28/2014A lovely meal with two significant service flaws. We were served our check the instant our dessert plates were empty. On leaving, even staff that were standing nearby didn't thank us for coming, wish us a good night, or express a desire that we come again.
- The following 555 reviews are from the Michael's reviews archive.
- Just DivinebklynflashDined on 7/25/2014I went to Michael's during the summer restaurant week promotion. I had a wonderful salad with olives which was absolutely divine followed by the sea bass which was very tasty, it 's one of those things that after you consume it you wish there was more. My desert choice was a fruit sorbet it served with fresh summer fruit. Prior to ordering I asked the waitress if I could have the sorbet without fruit and she indicated that would be fine. However, it was served with fruit, this was the only downside to my otherwise tasteful dining experience at Michael's.Special Features: