Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
130 N.E. 40th Street
Miami, FL 33137Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelsgenuine.com/
- Phone: 3055735550x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday 11:00 am - 2:30pm
Sunday: 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Monday - Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Friday: 5:30 p.m. - Midnight
Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - Midnight
Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Schwartz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: N.E. 1st Avenue & N.E. 2nd Avenue
- Public Transit: Miami Dade Transit Bus Lines # 2, # 3,# 9, # 10, # 36, # 93, # 202, # 236.
For detailed route information go to: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street Parking and Valet Parking available.
A word from Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 90 indoors and out, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Miami’s evolving Design District showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu is chock full of choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. At the same time, Michael's takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink - Best Restaurants in Design District ›
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (175)great for outdoor dining (144)neighborhood gem (105)hot spot (88)great for lunch (82)special occasion (81)great for brunch (60)notable wine list (44)vibrant bar scene (41)good for groups (41)romantic (40)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (5)Show More
- No nos gustóBeatrizDined on 8/29/2014Esta es la cuarta vez que comemos en este lugar . La primera martes al medio día, excelente. La segunda y tercera sábado de noche excelente y la cuarta viernes noche Fatal muchísimo ruido la comida SÚPER SALADA ! Incomible. Sí hubiera sido en la primera vez no volvemos más ! Lo he recomendado a muchos amigos! Después de este día no lo recomiendo más!
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014the food was delicious. the waiter was very great and knowledgeable. everything was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and ambianceBellDined on 8/24/2014we went on Sunday for dinner, most surrounding businesses were closed. Michael's is very cozy and nicely decorated. Service was excellent. Food was very good, fresh and nicely presented. However, With the Farm to table concept you'd think there would be at least one vegetarian entree choice. When asked about this, the one offered as entree was not on menu, not entree size and very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteBeatrizDined on 8/21/2014Menu sencillo , fresco y refinado!. Lo recomiendo para toda ocasión! Quede encantada!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains among the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Michael's remains one of my favorite restaurants, the service was excellent and the sommelier was very good. He was accommodating even though his buttons were pushed a couple of times with weird comments. They need to be careful so as not to get sloppy with their staple dishes; the boneless short ribs were a bit dry and there was not enough kimchi on the porkbelly. That said, the pigs ears were outstanding (just had them the week before in Madrid and were not half as good as these) with the squeeze of lime (which I would have never thought of) was perfect and the black grouper was superb. They came up with a pudding/fruity dessert (cannot even tell what it was) that was worthless; acidic and mushy texture. DO NOT OVER ORDER OR OVEREATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellenttrigeekVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have frequently dined at Michael's Genuine for lunch with business colleagues. All of the meals have been excellent no matter what the menu selection is.Special Features:
- It was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014The only issue was that they allowed a diner to have their non-stop barking dog dine within 3fwet of everyone else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaudeBenz68Dined on 8/13/2014Overall a go to destination spot. Food was inspired. A near perfect meal. Pasta fell short not only served just warm, lacked richness and spice. Again, happy that was my only complaint. A winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saving MiamiFoodandServiceVIPDined on 8/13/2014Best food experience we had on our trip to Miami. South Beach food was utterly disappointing and too pricey for the takeaway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nodropshotsDined on 8/13/2014Loved the small plates and appetizers. Perfect for sharing many different dishes and flavors among our group.Special Features:
- Great restaurantRamyDined on 8/10/2014Had a great dinner, food is fresh and tasty, service is great and service staff is knowledgeable. Will definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best brunch evermyseastoryDined on 8/10/2014delicious food, impeccable service and great ambiance, we love it every time and recommend to every friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Col705Dined on 8/9/2014Only complaint was about grouper appetizer. We ordered $12 grouper collar appetizer, which was outstanding, but were charged $20 for a "large" grouper appetizer. The option wasn't listed on the menu, would have preferred the bartender ask first. Bar was too busy at our departure to bother bringing it up. All food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUST do for a foodieCPaulGrpDined on 8/8/2014Thanks Eddy and Michael S for a great dinner evening. The food was on point as always. Great service. See you soon.Special Features:
- Hard to TopLatina1966Dined on 8/7/2014This is my Brother's favorite restaurant. I was in town with a leadership team from work and wanted to give them a great dining experience. The food, wine, ambience and service were awesome! The team is heading to Chicago and Dallas and they said, the Miami dining experience has been the best and will be HARD TO TOP!!! Thanks to Alex and Michael's Genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!Joe3Dined on 8/7/2014About the 10th time here; food quality excellent every time. Service friendly and professional. Outside is very nice and quieter than inside. Super wine list with lots of boutique options. Perhaps nowadays my favorite Miami resto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great combination of flavorsAlexDined on 8/3/2014Michaels keeps up its great value proposition of delivering delicious food with great combination of flavors. Pricr is right as is the ambiance.Special Features:
- DissapointedJohnnyfineDined on 8/2/2014Went to Michales based on reviews and hype. The food choices are very unique as well as flavors. That being said all of our main courses arrived cold. Our waitress was disconnected. $79 dollars for a bone in ribeye was way yo much. Overall not worth the money or experience.Special Features:
- Always a success!August1stDined on 8/1/2014Michael's is my go to when celebrating or I have a few friends in town. The food is consistently good, service is spot on, and the atmosphere is very pleasant. This is a no frills place that is isn't trying too hard to fit in the "hip" Miami food scene, but does what it does extremely well on all levels. I consistantly try new items on the menu and am always pleased. This time I had the gnocchi and could not stop talking about it. It is light and full of flavor. I cannot get enough!Special Features:
- Saturday Night LoudKAT3Dined on 8/1/2014We loved Michael's, wait staff is friendly, thoughtful & knowledgeable. Food is good tasting & the menu is imaginative. The bartender was unpleasant & seems not to like her job. The noise level inside is really @ a high level. Sitting outside in the summer is a bit warm. Good food, enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Good foodSlckingDined on 8/1/2014Interesting menu- informed waiters- good food and service but overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and serviceWannalikeitVIPDined on 8/1/2014Michael's never fails to deliver a great dining experience. Expensive but terrific...ending up being a good value if you love fabulous food and drink. My oven roasted whole fish ( yellowtail this time) was the best I ever had. Moist, flavorful and they even de-boned it...which I never had done before at other places when ordering a whole fish...impressive! Hand crafted cocktails and killer desserts...looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Lovely.SORoDined on 7/29/2014We had a fantastic dinner for my fiance's brother's birthday. Notable dishes: baked egg yolk with parm, stracciatella with mangoes (the last we had it was with heirloom tomatoes, so I think the dish changes seasonally), pork shoulder and for dessert the bourbon cherry and chocolate cheesecake jar. Service was very nice, great beer & wine selection - Stoudt's Carnival Kolsch is a perfect summer beer (and reminds us of our Philly origins) and the home brew is fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fresh!Peazy23Dined on 7/29/2014At Michael's you can expect the food to be top quality and fresh. Not a complicated menu whatsoever, so it's not intimidating. They make classic american comfort foods and they make em well. The atmosphere is very "happening" but not in a pretentious way. Michael's is definitely a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in miamijkudrakDined on 7/27/2014During our recent vacation to Miami we went decided to dine at Michaels genuine. This was by far the best food and service we had during our 7 day vacation. The menu is seasonal and there is something for everyone. I recommend the pork belly with Kim cheese and the duck confit. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu and paced our meal out and ensured we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedSirbyDined on 7/27/2014Went for Sunday brunch solo. Nice location, good service, but I just wasn't feeling the love from the three small plates that I ordered. Under-seasoned "generic" food that was not the least bit memorable.
- SurprisedInalpVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had been there before and liked the food. This time around I did Not.Special Features:
- Always good!LolaDined on 7/24/2014Good service. Delicious bucatini pasta! Nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableALISONVIPDined on 7/23/2014Always enjoy the local and fresh food served here, especially the salads. Not so happy with the service. Slow and with a bit of an attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/20/2014I visit Miami many times per year. Most restaurants are not abut the food, but about the vibe. I am glad to say that Michael's Genuine has the best food I have had in Miami...ever. Here is a place that understands it is the quality of the ingredients and the ability to make them shine by simple preparation! I recommend this place above all others in Miami.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceToonsDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I hadn't been out on a date for ages (I blame the baby) and a friend recommended this place. Well talk about feeling like a regular (hot) adult again. It's a very cool, chic place and we sat outside for some good people watching. Our server was prompt and gave great recommendations. The pork belly and kimchi slaw was fantastic as was the chicken liver crostini (love me a good pâté). The drinks were great as well. I was a bit underwhelmed with the dessert we tried (something blueberry bread pudding) but I think there are some others I would have loved to try instead. All in all, a wonderful date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodhighDined on 7/19/2014Simply put... fabulous food, personable service- close your eyes anything on the menu is terrific.Special Features:
- StellarrvaxDined on 7/18/2014Unbelievable service. All the waitstaff worked together for seamless food delivery, drink refills, and other requests. Food was very good; meatball pizza excellent. Pork chop not as tender as I would have liked but the peach chutney was superb. Okra, mashed potatoes, and cauliflower with parsley sauce were all yummy. Duck rellette appetizer also decadent. Would highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner as always.JohnVIPDined on 7/17/2014The food and service is so good, this is a must-visit restaurant whenever we're in Miami. The menu changes and the dishes are creative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatrg83Dined on 7/17/2014Pork belly pizza was great, although not surprisingly very greasy. The Ceviche app was not amazing and tiny! It needed more of a limey taste, seems like it wasn't left in the lime juice for long enough. We also had the pork belly app which was good but again the kimchi that it came with wasn't marinated in the vinegar for long enough, still the main part of that dish(pub belly) it was AMAZING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best food in miamimpeanoDined on 7/15/2014We were six at the table and asked all diferent dishes. They were all outstanding. Very good food Just a little noisy inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatmarchDined on 7/15/2014Our dinner was very very good. The food and service was perfect. I only have one observation about the desserts were not as good as the rest of the meal. I can not say they were bad, but we expected more.Special Features:
- Great Find!JRDinersDined on 7/10/2014The food and the service were excellent! We would definitely recommend Michael's Genuine to everyone! It's in the Design District, so you can shop or browse before or after dining.Special Features:
- Disappointing Visit to Michael'sRobBVIPDined on 7/9/2014This has long been one of my favorite restaurants in Miami. However, this most recent experience was a true disappointment. Our server was somewhat attentive, but not overly so. The menu was not nearly as interesting as it has been in the past. Several dishes contained garlic, but garlic was not listed as an ingredient on the menu. The same was true for other dishes and onions. Why don't restaurants list all of the ingredients on their menu when describing a dish? Kale with lemon zest should taste like kale with lemon zest and not garlic.
- CaptLTDined on 7/7/2014The food was tremendous. Eclectic and executed very well. We'll be back with friends.Special Features: