Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
130 N.E. 40th Street
Miami, FL 33137Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelsgenuine.com/
- Phone: 3055735550x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday 11:00 am - 2:30pm
Sunday: 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Monday - Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Friday: 5:30 p.m. - Midnight
Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - Midnight
Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Schwartz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: N.E. 1st Avenue & N.E. 2nd Avenue
- Public Transit: Miami Dade Transit Bus Lines # 2, # 3,# 9, # 10, # 36, # 93, # 202, # 236.
For detailed route information go to: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street Parking and Valet Parking available.
A word from Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 90 indoors and out, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Miami’s evolving Design District showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu is chock full of choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. At the same time, Michael's takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink - Best Restaurants in Design District ›
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (180)great for outdoor dining (142)neighborhood gem (108)hot spot (88)great for lunch (82)special occasion (76)great for brunch (56)good for groups (48)notable wine list (39)vibrant bar scene (36)romantic (33)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (4)Show More
- Michael's Still Trending...Sugartime4Dined on 9/13/2014Michael's has interesting food combinations that are delicious! We ordered the razor clams, chicken liver pate, hummus,short ribs w/ pasta, pork shoulder, chicken gardeniere, garlic mashed potatoes and zucchini in anchovy butter. All delicious and garnished with the unusual. Most items can be served small plates or larger. The bar offers some specials but is reluctant (would or could not?) to prepare a regular cocktail or mixed drink that is NOT on their specialty menu for the night. Service is good and food prices are reasonable. Drinks $10 - $14 each! Still a trendy pick if your in the design district, but I wouldn't go out of my way just to eat at Michael's Genuine.Special Features:
- Good flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014Went there for lunch, were seated very fast, I like when restaurants respect reservations, Tuna tartare was very good, you can tell they were using very good fresh ingredients, pastrami sandwich had good flavor but small amount of beef and too much bread for the beef. Hummus is not so tasty and pita bread that comes with it was boring. 20% tip was already included when check arrived (we were six) I don't like when restaurants do that (but I understand 18% for large parties with an option for additional tip) service was good though. Music I didn't like, was a bit stressful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014The food and cocktails were very good and came out quickly. Only downside were: 1) the ambiance and of the side room we were seated in; not nearly as nice as the main room or outside. 2) the waiter forgot or honestly didn't hear us order an appetizer and dessert, which happens, but both times tried telling us we never ordered them...which everyone at the table heard ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkDined on 9/12/2014Delicious food nut large plates are far from large. Portions smaller than expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MGF&D still the best!CiboLover2013VIPDined on 9/12/2014This is probably, without a doubt, one of the best places around this areas. The food is absolutely delicious and the prices are reasonable for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Excellent!!!CrushedSnailVIPDined on 9/10/2014Excellent use of seasonal and fresh local ingredients. Always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice-had dinner & lunch another dayIllyDined on 9/8/2014Preferred lunch over dinner more options that I enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, As AlwaysFoodie15Dined on 9/7/2014Consistently good meals at Michael's Genuine. Service was excellent. It was an unusually quiet Sunday night on our last visit, but everyone was friendly and attentive. Love the butter lettuce salad. My friend loved her octopus app.Special Features:
- Great place for brunch in WynwoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I am not big on brunch especially if it's the usual bacon and eggs thing. I travel around the world and the breakfast and brunches do all look the same. No matter if it's Singapore, HongKong, LA, NY or London: eggs any style, bacon/ mystery meat sausages/ ham, nasty sweet beans, fatty potatoes. 1,000 kCal / bite dish. This place is different: the chef put some effort in designing/ making little plates with selected ingredients. Not too many ingredients per dish to make it look like a barock expression of food. They plates are rich, but not exaggerated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always stellar!foodsurferDined on 8/31/2014Michael's Genuine is one of our all time favorite restaurants, and we eat out often. Whether we are in Miami or visiting a nearby city, we will make a quick dash to this terrific restaurant. While many food spots will get our attention for a while, they will eventually lose some of their luster. For us, Michael's always surprises with great food. It's nice enough when wanting to celebrate an occasion, but casual enough if you want to go often. It's proven to be exceptional dinner location for business, family or friends. Being in the Design District is an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No nos gustóBeatrizDined on 8/29/2014Esta es la cuarta vez que comemos en este lugar . La primera martes al medio día, excelente. La segunda y tercera sábado de noche excelente y la cuarta viernes noche Fatal muchísimo ruido la comida SÚPER SALADA ! Incomible. Sí hubiera sido en la primera vez no volvemos más ! Lo he recomendado a muchos amigos! Después de este día no lo recomiendo más!
- Great, and keeps getting bettertravelerhnlVIPDined on 8/29/2014Michael's Genuine is the most reliable, low-key restaurant that I've been to in Miami. It's all about the food and service here. It has a casual, low-pressure vibe that is relaxing and friendly, and the food is delicious. Unlike Miami's trendiest restaurants, here you won't find a steady parade of high-heeled women stuffed into short dresses and their dates with v-shaped torsos and shirts open down to there. I've dropped five hundred dollars for dinner for two in this town (more than once -- shame on me), and you'll get out of Michael's for easily half that even with pre-dinner cocktails and a good bottle of wine. The waitstaff are knowledgeable, not at all formal or stiff or scripted. This place is the real thing, in fact "genuine."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMSarahDined on 8/25/2014the food was delicious. the waiter was very great and knowledgeable. everything was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and ambianceBellDined on 8/24/2014we went on Sunday for dinner, most surrounding businesses were closed. Michael's is very cozy and nicely decorated. Service was excellent. Food was very good, fresh and nicely presented. However, With the Farm to table concept you'd think there would be at least one vegetarian entree choice. When asked about this, the one offered as entree was not on menu, not entree size and very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteBeatrizDined on 8/21/2014Menu sencillo , fresco y refinado!. Lo recomiendo para toda ocasión! Quede encantada!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable MealfoodlovinlizzyDined on 8/21/2014Two weeks later, and my husband and I are still talking about this meal! It's one for the memory books - favorites included the ceviche, burrata cheese with figs, short ribs, and sundae. Truly amazingly delicious and highly recommended. I'm returning to Miami for a girls' weekend, and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Remains among the bestMartinDined on 8/20/2014Michael's remains one of my favorite restaurants, the service was excellent and the sommelier was very good. He was accommodating even though his buttons were pushed a couple of times with weird comments. They need to be careful so as not to get sloppy with their staple dishes; the boneless short ribs were a bit dry and there was not enough kimchi on the porkbelly. That said, the pigs ears were outstanding (just had them the week before in Madrid and were not half as good as these) with the squeeze of lime (which I would have never thought of) was perfect and the black grouper was superb. They came up with a pudding/fruity dessert (cannot even tell what it was) that was worthless; acidic and mushy texture. DO NOT OVER ORDER OR OVEREATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellenttrigeekVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have frequently dined at Michael's Genuine for lunch with business colleagues. All of the meals have been excellent no matter what the menu selection is.Special Features:
- It was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014The only issue was that they allowed a diner to have their non-stop barking dog dine within 3fwet of everyone else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaudeBenz68Dined on 8/13/2014Overall a go to destination spot. Food was inspired. A near perfect meal. Pasta fell short not only served just warm, lacked richness and spice. Again, happy that was my only complaint. A winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saving MiamiFoodandServiceVIPDined on 8/13/2014Best food experience we had on our trip to Miami. South Beach food was utterly disappointing and too pricey for the takeaway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nodropshotsDined on 8/13/2014Loved the small plates and appetizers. Perfect for sharing many different dishes and flavors among our group.Special Features:
- Great restaurantRamyDined on 8/10/2014Had a great dinner, food is fresh and tasty, service is great and service staff is knowledgeable. Will definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best brunch evermyseastoryDined on 8/10/2014delicious food, impeccable service and great ambiance, we love it every time and recommend to every friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Col705Dined on 8/9/2014Only complaint was about grouper appetizer. We ordered $12 grouper collar appetizer, which was outstanding, but were charged $20 for a "large" grouper appetizer. The option wasn't listed on the menu, would have preferred the bartender ask first. Bar was too busy at our departure to bother bringing it up. All food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUST do for a foodieCPaulGrpDined on 8/8/2014Thanks Eddy and Michael S for a great dinner evening. The food was on point as always. Great service. See you soon.Special Features:
- Hard to TopLatina1966Dined on 8/7/2014This is my Brother's favorite restaurant. I was in town with a leadership team from work and wanted to give them a great dining experience. The food, wine, ambience and service were awesome! The team is heading to Chicago and Dallas and they said, the Miami dining experience has been the best and will be HARD TO TOP!!! Thanks to Alex and Michael's Genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!Joe3Dined on 8/7/2014About the 10th time here; food quality excellent every time. Service friendly and professional. Outside is very nice and quieter than inside. Super wine list with lots of boutique options. Perhaps nowadays my favorite Miami resto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great combination of flavorsAlexDined on 8/3/2014Michaels keeps up its great value proposition of delivering delicious food with great combination of flavors. Pricr is right as is the ambiance.Special Features:
- DissapointedJohnnyfineDined on 8/2/2014Went to Michales based on reviews and hype. The food choices are very unique as well as flavors. That being said all of our main courses arrived cold. Our waitress was disconnected. $79 dollars for a bone in ribeye was way yo much. Overall not worth the money or experience.Special Features:
- Always a success!August1stDined on 8/1/2014Michael's is my go to when celebrating or I have a few friends in town. The food is consistently good, service is spot on, and the atmosphere is very pleasant. This is a no frills place that is isn't trying too hard to fit in the "hip" Miami food scene, but does what it does extremely well on all levels. I consistantly try new items on the menu and am always pleased. This time I had the gnocchi and could not stop talking about it. It is light and full of flavor. I cannot get enough!Special Features:
- Saturday Night LoudKAT3Dined on 8/1/2014We loved Michael's, wait staff is friendly, thoughtful & knowledgeable. Food is good tasting & the menu is imaginative. The bartender was unpleasant & seems not to like her job. The noise level inside is really @ a high level. Sitting outside in the summer is a bit warm. Good food, enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Good foodSlckingDined on 8/1/2014Interesting menu- informed waiters- good food and service but overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and serviceWannalikeitVIPDined on 8/1/2014Michael's never fails to deliver a great dining experience. Expensive but terrific...ending up being a good value if you love fabulous food and drink. My oven roasted whole fish ( yellowtail this time) was the best I ever had. Moist, flavorful and they even de-boned it...which I never had done before at other places when ordering a whole fish...impressive! Hand crafted cocktails and killer desserts...looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Lovely.SORoDined on 7/29/2014We had a fantastic dinner for my fiance's brother's birthday. Notable dishes: baked egg yolk with parm, stracciatella with mangoes (the last we had it was with heirloom tomatoes, so I think the dish changes seasonally), pork shoulder and for dessert the bourbon cherry and chocolate cheesecake jar. Service was very nice, great beer & wine selection - Stoudt's Carnival Kolsch is a perfect summer beer (and reminds us of our Philly origins) and the home brew is fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fresh!Peazy23Dined on 7/29/2014At Michael's you can expect the food to be top quality and fresh. Not a complicated menu whatsoever, so it's not intimidating. They make classic american comfort foods and they make em well. The atmosphere is very "happening" but not in a pretentious way. Michael's is definitely a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in miamijkudrakDined on 7/27/2014During our recent vacation to Miami we went decided to dine at Michaels genuine. This was by far the best food and service we had during our 7 day vacation. The menu is seasonal and there is something for everyone. I recommend the pork belly with Kim cheese and the duck confit. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu and paced our meal out and ensured we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedSirbyDined on 7/27/2014Went for Sunday brunch solo. Nice location, good service, but I just wasn't feeling the love from the three small plates that I ordered. Under-seasoned "generic" food that was not the least bit memorable.
- SurprisedInalpVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had been there before and liked the food. This time around I did Not.Special Features:
- Always good!LolaDined on 7/24/2014Good service. Delicious bucatini pasta! Nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.