Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
130 N.E. 40th Street
Miami, FL 33137Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelsgenuine.com/
- Phone: 3055735550x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday 11:00 am - 2:30pm
Sunday: 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Monday - Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Friday: 5:30 p.m. - Midnight
Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - Midnight
Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Schwartz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: N.E. 1st Avenue & N.E. 2nd Avenue
- Public Transit: Miami Dade Transit Bus Lines # 2, # 3,# 9, # 10, # 36, # 93, # 202, # 236.
For detailed route information go to: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street Parking and Valet Parking available.
A word from Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 90 indoors and out, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Miami’s evolving Design District showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu is chock full of choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. At the same time, Michael's takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink - Best Restaurants in Design District ›
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (143)great for outdoor dining (115)neighborhood gem (83)hot spot (69)great for lunch (58)special occasion (56)great for brunch (38)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (35)notable wine list (28)romantic (24)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (2)Show More
- A must in MiamiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Michaels has always been a great choice. The food and service are top notch. Consistently delicious. Don't miss the Beet Salad and the strip loin steak was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OH NO!LovetoeatoutVIPDined on 10/17/2014We love going to Michael s because of the food, great service and atmosphere. Lian, our waiter, made the experience quiet uncomfortable. He was not attentive - Never pouring water, not asking me for a 2nd drink order, giving us the desert menu before our entrees arrived and charging us for the "complementary snack. Waited over 45 minutes for our appetizers after ordering and I assume that after he gave us the desert menu he put in our entree order. We would have called it a night by then but he said it would come out soon which it did not! He is on the job 3 months and if he stays he will kill any new business to Michael's. We will go back soon to kill our memory of that night!Special Features:
- NvizbleVIPDined on 10/17/2014This place would be so much better if it weren't in the over priced design district neighborhood it is in. Hard to get to with road work in the area.Special Features:
- Good Food and AmbienceCassyDined on 10/16/2014We have eaten here several times. It is convenient to our home. The food is very good and the restaurant is lively.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014The food at Michael's was incredible with a great wine selection. Kudos to the dessert chef as well for coming up with such original desserts. The food flavors just exploded in my mouth.Special Features:
- Michael's Genuine is a Must DofscorchDined on 10/11/2014The menu has great diversity, and the food is perfectly prepared. Service is excellent as well - friendly and knowledgable. This place is great for sharing, if you like that, but also has plenty to offer those that prefer not to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MGFD- Ready to dine again!Greeneyze10VIPDined on 10/10/2014Great food and service! The weather was amazing and that made our dining experience even better. Our server was busy but always there to answer a question! We had other servers take time to ask if we needed anything now that is the way all restaurants should train their staff or maybe it is the servers who know how to really take care of the customers! We had several small plates starting with the Pig Ears (too small of a portion) could have been seasoned more,too bland for my taste. The Polenta and grilled Octopus excellent. Our server Andres was on point about the Snapper for the three of us.....SUPERB! This Snapper was huge! Dessert by Hedy Goldsmith and Panther coffee was a great finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunlover1Dined on 10/10/2014The food at this restaurant is incredible. It's noticeable the difference fresh locally sourced produce makes. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. The only issue was that the restauarant was busy when we were there and it seemed there were not enough waiting staff to keep aa close eye on the tables being served. Price of food here is very reasonable given the quality of the food. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little to foo fooneilVIPDined on 10/9/2014Far too noisy, though I understand that is all the rage; food above average but portion size relative to cost not nearly a good value. Drink prices silly for a "neighborhood" restaurant: $14 for a glass of wine, puleeze.Special Features:
- Best meal I've ever had in Miami.BadKittyVIPDined on 10/8/2014This place is amazing. Delicious food, top-notch service, delicious wine, variable portions perfect for tasting and sharing. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014food was good, service was lousy, no wifi available, had to ask 4 times for my bill, I did ask for spicy sauce twice, and even so it was not brought to the table,Special Features:
- wineguywineguyVIPDined on 10/6/2014always out of this world.... everything prepared to perfection. what is so nice is to see Michael greeting his guests! place looks greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014You have an outstanding restaurant, almost unbelievable. Thank you for the experience. Hopefully we will make it back to Miami.Special Features:
- Had its eraradmiralDined on 9/19/2014No longer the quality and service it used to be . Poor cleanliness , bad service. We couldn't sit inside because of the smell. I would not recommend it anymore.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Staff is friendly, the restaurant is charming and the food is fresh and excellent.Special Features:
- Not good305ChinoDined on 9/19/2014I made reservations well in advance on open table. I put in the comment section of my reservation that I wanted them to write Happy Anniversary on whatever dessert my girlfriend got. Just to make sure I called the day of our reservation to tell them what I wanted written on the dessert. The hostess assured me that they had seen the note and that it would be done. We get there, eat dinner and everything is going great. My girlfriend orders dessert and the plate comes with no writing on it. I called ahead and wrote on my open table reservation that I wanted Happy Anniversary written on whatever dessert my girlfriend got. Michaels really sucks and I'm going to make sure I tell everybody I know to skip michaels and go to sugar cane.Special Features:
- Sunday, not so funday :(JohnWDined on 9/14/2014It's a wonderful place for exceptional food and wine. I have been to the restaurant previously for a truly 5 star experience. Food is very well prepared while the wine list is full the sommelier was a guide to success in picking a perfect pairing for the menu. Sunday seems to be the shift that the talent takes off. There were a couple of minor food misses, roasted cauliflower that was undercooked short of that nutty richness that could have been and grouper that had a fishy aroma. This alone would not have been an issue. The service was woefully lacking the usual polish that I had experienced before and the sommelier was not even in the building to help navigate the good parts of the wine offerings. Sunday is not the day to dine here.Special Features:
- Michael's Still Trending...Sugartime4Dined on 9/13/2014Michael's has interesting food combinations that are delicious! We ordered the razor clams, chicken liver pate, hummus,short ribs w/ pasta, pork shoulder, chicken gardeniere, garlic mashed potatoes and zucchini in anchovy butter. All delicious and garnished with the unusual. Most items can be served small plates or larger. The bar offers some specials but is reluctant (would or could not?) to prepare a regular cocktail or mixed drink that is NOT on their specialty menu for the night. Service is good and food prices are reasonable. Drinks $10 - $14 each! Still a trendy pick if your in the design district, but I wouldn't go out of my way just to eat at Michael's Genuine.Special Features:
- Good flavorsFoodieWinnieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Went there for lunch, were seated very fast, I like when restaurants respect reservations, Tuna tartare was very good, you can tell they were using very good fresh ingredients, pastrami sandwich had good flavor but small amount of beef and too much bread for the beef. Hummus is not so tasty and pita bread that comes with it was boring. 20% tip was already included when check arrived (we were six) I don't like when restaurants do that (but I understand 18% for large parties with an option for additional tip) service was good though. Music I didn't like, was a bit stressful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014The food and cocktails were very good and came out quickly. Only downside were: 1) the ambiance and of the side room we were seated in; not nearly as nice as the main room or outside. 2) the waiter forgot or honestly didn't hear us order an appetizer and dessert, which happens, but both times tried telling us we never ordered them...which everyone at the table heard ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkDined on 9/12/2014Delicious food nut large plates are far from large. Portions smaller than expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just above averageJenfoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014We weren't blown away - by the setting, the food or the service. It was fine - but there are much better spots in Miami.Special Features:
- MGF&D still the best!CiboLover2013VIPDined on 9/12/2014This is probably, without a doubt, one of the best places around this areas. The food is absolutely delicious and the prices are reasonable for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Excellent!!!CrushedSnailVIPDined on 9/10/2014Excellent use of seasonal and fresh local ingredients. Always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014great overall experience except we were seated about 8 inches from the party next to us and it felt strange...also had to get up in the middle of the meal so the party sitting 8 inches from us could leave.
- Nice-had dinner & lunch another dayIllyDined on 9/8/2014Preferred lunch over dinner more options that I enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, As AlwaysFoodie15Dined on 9/7/2014Consistently good meals at Michael's Genuine. Service was excellent. It was an unusually quiet Sunday night on our last visit, but everyone was friendly and attentive. Love the butter lettuce salad. My friend loved her octopus app.Special Features:
- Great place for brunch in WynwoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I am not big on brunch especially if it's the usual bacon and eggs thing. I travel around the world and the breakfast and brunches do all look the same. No matter if it's Singapore, HongKong, LA, NY or London: eggs any style, bacon/ mystery meat sausages/ ham, nasty sweet beans, fatty potatoes. 1,000 kCal / bite dish. This place is different: the chef put some effort in designing/ making little plates with selected ingredients. Not too many ingredients per dish to make it look like a barock expression of food. They plates are rich, but not exaggerated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always stellar!foodsurferDined on 8/31/2014Michael's Genuine is one of our all time favorite restaurants, and we eat out often. Whether we are in Miami or visiting a nearby city, we will make a quick dash to this terrific restaurant. While many food spots will get our attention for a while, they will eventually lose some of their luster. For us, Michael's always surprises with great food. It's nice enough when wanting to celebrate an occasion, but casual enough if you want to go often. It's proven to be exceptional dinner location for business, family or friends. Being in the Design District is an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No nos gustóBeatrizDined on 8/29/2014Esta es la cuarta vez que comemos en este lugar . La primera martes al medio día, excelente. La segunda y tercera sábado de noche excelente y la cuarta viernes noche Fatal muchísimo ruido la comida SÚPER SALADA ! Incomible. Sí hubiera sido en la primera vez no volvemos más ! Lo he recomendado a muchos amigos! Después de este día no lo recomiendo más!
- Great, and keeps getting bettertravelerhnlVIPDined on 8/29/2014Michael's Genuine is the most reliable, low-key restaurant that I've been to in Miami. It's all about the food and service here. It has a casual, low-pressure vibe that is relaxing and friendly, and the food is delicious. Unlike Miami's trendiest restaurants, here you won't find a steady parade of high-heeled women stuffed into short dresses and their dates with v-shaped torsos and shirts open down to there. I've dropped five hundred dollars for dinner for two in this town (more than once -- shame on me), and you'll get out of Michael's for easily half that even with pre-dinner cocktails and a good bottle of wine. The waitstaff are knowledgeable, not at all formal or stiff or scripted. This place is the real thing, in fact "genuine."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodChanaG2000Dined on 8/28/2014The food was delish! I had the fish which they deboned for me and a martini made with fresh peaches. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMSarahDined on 8/25/2014the food was delicious. the waiter was very great and knowledgeable. everything was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and ambianceBellDined on 8/24/2014we went on Sunday for dinner, most surrounding businesses were closed. Michael's is very cozy and nicely decorated. Service was excellent. Food was very good, fresh and nicely presented. However, With the Farm to table concept you'd think there would be at least one vegetarian entree choice. When asked about this, the one offered as entree was not on menu, not entree size and very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteBeatrizDined on 8/21/2014Menu sencillo , fresco y refinado!. Lo recomiendo para toda ocasión! Quede encantada!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable MealfoodlovinlizzyDined on 8/21/2014Two weeks later, and my husband and I are still talking about this meal! It's one for the memory books - favorites included the ceviche, burrata cheese with figs, short ribs, and sundae. Truly amazingly delicious and highly recommended. I'm returning to Miami for a girls' weekend, and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Remains among the bestMartinDined on 8/20/2014Michael's remains one of my favorite restaurants, the service was excellent and the sommelier was very good. He was accommodating even though his buttons were pushed a couple of times with weird comments. They need to be careful so as not to get sloppy with their staple dishes; the boneless short ribs were a bit dry and there was not enough kimchi on the porkbelly. That said, the pigs ears were outstanding (just had them the week before in Madrid and were not half as good as these) with the squeeze of lime (which I would have never thought of) was perfect and the black grouper was superb. They came up with a pudding/fruity dessert (cannot even tell what it was) that was worthless; acidic and mushy texture. DO NOT OVER ORDER OR OVEREATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellenttrigeekVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have frequently dined at Michael's Genuine for lunch with business colleagues. All of the meals have been excellent no matter what the menu selection is.Special Features:
- It was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014The only issue was that they allowed a diner to have their non-stop barking dog dine within 3fwet of everyone else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaudeBenz68Dined on 8/13/2014Overall a go to destination spot. Food was inspired. A near perfect meal. Pasta fell short not only served just warm, lacked richness and spice. Again, happy that was my only complaint. A winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.