Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
130 N.E. 40th Street
Miami, FL 33137Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelsgenuine.com/
- Phone: (305) 573-5550
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday 11:00 am - 2:30pm
Sunday: 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Monday - Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Friday: 5:30 p.m. - Midnight
Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - Midnight
Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Schwartz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: N.E. 1st Avenue & N.E. 2nd Avenue
- Public Transit: Miami Dade Transit Bus Lines # 2, # 3,# 9, # 10, # 36, # 93, # 202, # 236.
For detailed route information go to: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street Parking and Valet Parking available.
A word from Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 90 indoors and out, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Miami’s evolving Design District showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu is chock full of choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. At the same time, Michael's takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink - Best Restaurants in Design District ›
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)great for outdoor dining (108)hot spot (75)neighborhood gem (72)great for lunch (56)special occasion (49)vibrant bar scene (36)great for brunch (36)good for groups (32)notable wine list (31)romantic (19)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014Food, service, atmosphere. All fantastic. Their brunch is my favorite of their menus, tapas style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngeVIPDined on 11/23/2014Great experience! Went for brunch and everything we ordered was delicious! I will definitely be going back and would recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great service!FoodiesDined on 11/22/2014Michael's is ALWAYS delicious! If you want an intimate dining experience, choose another restaurant, as this one is always loud and bustling. We had a little difficulty with lunch, as the tables were literally 4 inches apart inside, making it difficult to have a personal conversation. So go with a party atmosphere in mind, and it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellrnyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/14/2014All dishes were excellent. Fried pigs ears were surprisingly delicious. Noisy room though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No moreweekenddinner1VIPDined on 11/13/2014Chicken was undercooked and like rubber, Beet salad was just ok. Service was nice. Veery disapointed
- Very good productsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2014good products well cooked We had the pork shoulder it was so "fondant" the lamb was delicious also the sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food with a local feelHeatherSDined on 11/9/2014We were tourists visiting Miami (all of our other restaurant selections were in South Beach) but a local friend recommended Michaels Genuine and we loved it. The food was outstanding - especially the short rib pasta and the grits. We all ordered dessert, and each and every one was delicious! Our server, Scott, was friendly and helpful without being annoying - truly a professional.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014Love the new decor. Food was outstanding. Service was great.Special Features:
- Lived up to reputationkarenonthamesDined on 11/9/2014Trying four different medium plates, I found all to be uniquely spiced, fresh, and delicious - east coast Florida oysters, duck confit, stracciatella, and the pork belly. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for the foodie. We look forward to returning and eating our way through other items on the menu. Definitely thumbs up.Special Features:
- AMAZINGpcantonDined on 11/9/2014We recently celebrated our first year wedding anniversary at Michael's for brunch! We were attended by Nicolas who was very friendly, knowledgeable, and funny! He made it a very special experience and took great care of us. All of the Michael's staff was courteous and engaging to make sure we were comfortable. We had the Straccitela, fried yuca, corn, turkey slider, yogurt and granola, ginger macaroon, and bread pudding. Everything was out of this world! The flavors were all delicious and just right! We were very impressed at how great this place was! Service and food are two thumbs up for my wife and I! Michael's continues to do a killer job at both their service and their kitchen!!! I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- A bit disappointed actually.ThenameischrisDined on 11/9/2014This place came so highly recommended but quite frankly I was disappointed I went for brunch on Sunday with a group of friends we ordered many different things off of the menu as the dishes are served sort of small tapas style it seemed like they were mass producing the dishes and just had them lined up in the kitchen ready to go they were coming out so quickly which in itself was fine except they weren't really all that hot so if I'm going to pay nine dollars for one tiny little pancake it better be hot. But it was barely warm and same for the syrup. All the food was like that. With that said--it was delicious and service was excellent. Plan on spending about $50 per person if you get a drink.Special Features:
- mediocre food & atrocious servicesibbearDined on 11/9/2014While tapas-style brunch is an interesting concept, it is also very risky. All the dishes have to be cooked perfectly and delivered to the table immediately or they will go cold. Another important aspect is grouping dishes into courses avoiding clashes of flavors and textures. Our server miserably failed this part. The first dish we received was a sweet pastry and the last one would have been snapper tartare (that I had to cancel since I did not feel like eating raw fish for dessert). Most of the dishes we have tried were average at best, a couple were sub par. Thick cuts of badly burnt bacon were the worst. The flavors were not there, the temperature of the dishes were less than ideal. Too many bussers and not enough servers on the floor.
- Delicious as alwaysOliverDined on 11/9/2014We had an amazing brunch as always. It was a great place to celebrate my mom's birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is Michael!?DJC555VIPDined on 11/8/2014Loved MGF several x's a yr. since it's opening. We've always enjoyed our MGF lunches. 6 months since our last trip down, we brought a S. Fla friend, mom, my sister & her husband to our favorite" go to" place. Our classic appetizer, creamy burrata & heirloom tomatoes (delicious)- the rest of the food meh: pizza avg., pasta not impressive, turkey club Ok, hamburger subbed w/a thin ciabatta roll & not the usual thick yummy burger MGF known for. Absolute worse part: the service, was 4 * now a 1*!. We had a reservation, called ahead re: additional person, yet had to wait until a table was created but worse than that was the inattentive waitress who cashed in for her 20% tip included in the bill! We protests this tip, it was NOT deserved.
- Loud but unique food and drinksPBGFOODIEDined on 11/7/2014Very loud but casual restaurant that has great food but even better snacks and apps. I had the Octopus Pizza and it was delicious. Over the top apps like deviled eggs, chips and onion dip, falafel. I would go back again in a minute but if you are taking clients out for dinner then consider its a loud dining room-another positive is Valet is only $3 and you can use any valet along the strip to get your car-trust me in South Beach and Miami Beach its $35 and always a 30 minute wait to get car.Special Features:
- camyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Great dinner! Perfectly timed. Food quality excellent. Love the snapper, oysters and clams!Special Features:
- ExcellentLionelrdDined on 11/7/2014The food and presentation awesome nice trendy neighborhood also the staff I highly recommend the pastrami sandwich!!! AAAA ++++ the heart of Design DistrictSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael's Genuine FoodJessicaVIPDined on 11/7/2014This was a bit more of a scene than what I'd usually like but the reviews seemed good so we tried it. Glad we did. Highly recommend their mushroom soup. Don't know why restaurants don't have more soup, this one is worth coming here to indulge in. Tried the Butter Lettuce salad, will pass next time, not bad, but forgettable and at a $13 price point definitely not a value point. Tried their Sundae in a Jar...knock you off your feet yummy. I don't typically like dessert and while this was super sweet my goodness it was treat. Ate at the bar, more approachable and kinder service there it seemed like after I watched service at some of the tables, more regulars and locals there than the "I'm here to be seen crowd" at tables.Special Features:
- Very bad servicevv88Dined on 11/6/2014I was at the restaurant on Thursday, November 6. Service was HORRIBLE! We ordered an appetizer, which arrived about 30 minutes after we had ordered it. I had to ask the waiter for the appetizer and he just said, "it is coming". When we finished the appetizer, the main course was nowhere to be seen. Again, I asked the waiter for the food. He said that he was waiting for us to finish the appetizer to order the food so that he could bring the food fresh. However, 20 minutes passed by and we didn't get our food. It was four of us and when the food finally came, only two of us was served. After about three or five minutes we all got our food. Besides, the restaurant was empty, so that is not even an excuse for the bad service!
- Always ExcellentBethesdaEmptyNesterVIPDined on 11/5/2014It's hard to know where to start - every aspect of Michael's is excellent. The snacks are delicious. Our favorites are the deviled eggs and the homemade potato chips. You could make a meal of just the snacks, but of course we don't. We eat a meal's worth of them and then we have starters and main courses. Our party had fish, pork, and beef, and all were delicious. The stratiatella was out of this world. Diana, our server, was very attentive and helpful. My only negative about Michael's is the high noise level. However, it's worth it. Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Fantastic food and serviceGoguifVIPDined on 11/3/2014Everything was perfect in food and service. Very attentive when you arrive same when you leaveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- game overgitusVIPDined on 11/2/2014It WAS one of our favorites restaurant in miami.They lose everything :food quality,creativity and sometime service's skills.Special Features:
- Always enjoyable!bbmiamiVIPDined on 11/2/2014Whether you go for a business lunch, dinner out or Sunday brunch, you can't go wrong at Michael's Genuine. The food is good and they regularly change-up the menu. The service is always very friendly.Special Features:
- Love dinner at Michael'sfussyfoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2014We always enjoy our dinners here. For mains we both ordered the leg of lamb which was superb. For starters, my husband had the shrimp ceviche..also excellent. I had the seared salmon with shiitake mushrooms. I wasn't crazy about it. The salmon had no flavor. It was just very oily. The taste of the mushrooms overwhelmed everything else on the plate. Also, the service wasn't as smart as it usually is. A bit disorganized and inefficient. Very unusual for this place. However, we will always love going to Michael's and will definitely return.
- Wine selection!Me2013VIPDined on 10/31/2014The wine selection is very small! Please brIng more options to the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/30/2014Always outstanding all around! After years it keeps getting better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Miami lunch haunthappyeaterDined on 10/29/2014Eating outdoors at Michael's Genuine for lunch is always a delightful, relaxed experience. The mushroom pizza, not always on the menu, is as good as it gets. So is the falafel wrap. The menu changes daily, everything is extremely fresh, the service is very attentive. It's an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food vs. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014This is the second time I've visited Michael's in the last few years while visiting from out of town. The food is outstanding in particular this time, the short rib ravioli and the sweet potato ice cream sundae at the end of the meal were excellent. The issue on Saturday night was that there appeared to be 1 server for the entire outside area which was 10+ tables, all completely filled. There were runners, but it was almost impossible to find our waiter throughout the entire meal. He was a good guy, but he was left to the wolves. I would have expected someone at the management level to step in and help the guy. This would not deter me from returning. I'd chalk it up to an overwhelmingly busy night and not enough staff.Special Features:
- Second chanceMarlaVIPDined on 10/19/2014We had been here several years ago and found the experience average. Decided to give it another shot since several people recommended we try again. Food was good - not exceptional. Limited number of options and several items were not available. Nice outdoor courtyard. Service was uneven. Server was pleasant but not efficient.Special Features:
- A must in MiamiFoodiextroardinaireDined on 10/18/2014Michaels has always been a great choice. The food and service are top notch. Consistently delicious. Don't miss the Beet Salad and the strip loin steak was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OH NO!LovetoeatoutVIPDined on 10/17/2014We love going to Michael s because of the food, great service and atmosphere. Lian, our waiter, made the experience quiet uncomfortable. He was not attentive - Never pouring water, not asking me for a 2nd drink order, giving us the desert menu before our entrees arrived and charging us for the "complementary snack. Waited over 45 minutes for our appetizers after ordering and I assume that after he gave us the desert menu he put in our entree order. We would have called it a night by then but he said it would come out soon which it did not! He is on the job 3 months and if he stays he will kill any new business to Michael's. We will go back soon to kill our memory of that night!Special Features:
- NvizbleVIPDined on 10/17/2014This place would be so much better if it weren't in the over priced design district neighborhood it is in. Hard to get to with road work in the area.Special Features:
- Good Food and AmbienceCassyVIPDined on 10/16/2014We have eaten here several times. It is convenient to our home. The food is very good and the restaurant is lively.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014The food at Michael's was incredible with a great wine selection. Kudos to the dessert chef as well for coming up with such original desserts. The food flavors just exploded in my mouth.Special Features:
- BEYOND!LiebeVIPDined on 10/13/2014Michael's Genuine in that wonderful Design District setting never disappoints. It is always spectacular food with service to match. The heirloom tomatoes with stracciatella cheese is beyond! Fried hominy is another yummy indulgence. My lunch date had a fresh turkey sandwich with bacon and cheese on brioche. He loves it every time! Today we tried a maple flan dessert that was out of this world worthy in both flavor and appearance. It was truly spectacular. They've recently renovated and added a big raw bar. It's a great addition to an already phenomenal restaurant. Hats off to Michael Schwartz and his entire team from the greeters to the bus boys to the servers to the chefs. It's all simply and reliably fantastic.Special Features:
- Michael's Genuine is a Must DofscorchDined on 10/11/2014The menu has great diversity, and the food is perfectly prepared. Service is excellent as well - friendly and knowledgable. This place is great for sharing, if you like that, but also has plenty to offer those that prefer not to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MGFD- Ready to dine again!Greeneyze10VIPDined on 10/10/2014Great food and service! The weather was amazing and that made our dining experience even better. Our server was busy but always there to answer a question! We had other servers take time to ask if we needed anything now that is the way all restaurants should train their staff or maybe it is the servers who know how to really take care of the customers! We had several small plates starting with the Pig Ears (too small of a portion) could have been seasoned more,too bland for my taste. The Polenta and grilled Octopus excellent. Our server Andres was on point about the Snapper for the three of us.....SUPERB! This Snapper was huge! Dessert by Hedy Goldsmith and Panther coffee was a great finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunlover1Dined on 10/10/2014The food at this restaurant is incredible. It's noticeable the difference fresh locally sourced produce makes. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. The only issue was that the restauarant was busy when we were there and it seemed there were not enough waiting staff to keep aa close eye on the tables being served. Price of food here is very reasonable given the quality of the food. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little to foo fooneilVIPDined on 10/9/2014Far too noisy, though I understand that is all the rage; food above average but portion size relative to cost not nearly a good value. Drink prices silly for a "neighborhood" restaurant: $14 for a glass of wine, puleeze.Special Features:
- Best meal I've ever had in Miami.BadKittyVIPDined on 10/8/2014This place is amazing. Delicious food, top-notch service, delicious wine, variable portions perfect for tasting and sharing. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.