Michael's Genuine Food & Drink Grand Cayman
Suite 4103, 47 Forum Lane, Canella Court, Camana Bay
Grand Cayman, Grand Cayman KY1-9006Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink Grand Cayman
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://michaelsgenuine.com/
- Phone: 3456406433
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: Noon - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Schwartz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Michael's Genuine Food & Drink Grand Cayman
Michael’s is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 75 indoors and 75 outdoors, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Grand Cayman's evolving Camana Bay showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu provides choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. Michael's also takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink Grand Cayman - Best Restaurants in Grand Cayman ›
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink Grand Cayman reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)great for outdoor dining (8)neighborhood gem (5)scenic view (5)hot spot (4)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- A GemCallumDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I joined two young friends for lunch and had a splendid time. The service, food and ambience were all first rate. We think the island is lucky to have such a reliable and convivial place to enjoy good food and company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Food great staffGOODSTUFFVIPDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant had a most creative menu. The food was fresh and the wait staff. Was friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysNixon1Dined on 8/14/2014Every year when we come to Grand Cayman we have dinner at Michaels Genuine in Camana Bay. The food and atmosphere is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantSurprisedDined on 7/6/2014Good food, great service and creative menu including lion fish when available!Special Features:
- Awesome findOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/22/2014We visited michaels on a Sunday and so unfortunately all the stores at Camana bay were closed, but thankfully the food made up for it!! Good was delicious and creative! My kids loved the make your own sundae- they tiedye vanilla ice cream!! Delicious! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 77 reviews are from the Michael's Genuine Food & Drink Grand Cayman reviews archive.
- Fantastic FlavorslocalluverDined on 6/8/2014Great food at somewhat reasonable prices for Grand Cayman.The menu, set up like a tapas menu allows for variety. The "large" selections are huge and can feed two. The two best dishes we ate: Pork Belly with slaw and local snapper Ceviche. The Pork had a lovely sweet and tangy sauce - not too much sauce, allowing the pork to remain crunchy on the outside - delicious! The Ceviche was top notch. Fresh tropical fruit and generous pieces of local fish in the perfect marinade - not too much citrus. Desserts, if you are still hungry, are delicate and sweet! The alcohol selection is extensive and good. I was pleasantly surprised to see such a beautiful variety of bourbons. The service was excellent, knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food!AMluvfoodDined on 4/27/2014If you love farm to table and a great outcome from such.... this is the place! Great service, ambiance, setting and view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable ExperienceToddDined on 4/24/2014Very enjoyable experience for both lunch and dinner at Michael's Genuine Food & Drink at Caymana Bay this past week. Great small plate and drink options. Would not hesitate to recommend MGFD to friends. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Glad We Found You!MellVIPDined on 3/28/2014The first time I heard of Michael's Genuine was on the food network. I was thrilled to be able to actually try this place out on a recent trip. The food at dinner was amazing, so much so that we went back for lunch the next day. I can't believe I got to sample the Popcorn & Peanuts, featured on the Best Thing I Ever Ate. It was amazing!Special Features:
- No worry restaurantIowafoodieVIPDined on 3/21/2014This is the type of place that you do not have to worry about getting a good meal. Pan roasted chicken was excellent- crispy skin and flavorful bird. Excellent wine list, better prices than Ortanique next door. Both places are go- to spots in Grand Cayman, Ortanique has more atmosphere especially if you get a table by the water looking out at the little palm filled island but food was excellent at both restaurants. Also nice for lunch as I found it was really difficult to get a nice, non fried food lunch anywhere on this island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 2/22/2014Dining at Michael's was an enjoyable experience. We sat outdoors an enjoyed the beautiful Caymanian winter weather. The service was friendly and efficient. The portions were generous. The food was excellent, especially the octopus and Patrick's pan roasted chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here and it was great...TanyaVIPDined on 2/19/2014This was the first restaurant I tried, when I arrived in Grand Cayman. I have no complaints about the food ....it was great. However, my friends who told me about this restaurant may have over sold it. I didn't think it was out of this world or the best I've had but it was really good. I have visited some of the best restaurants in the world and my expectations were very high and for this reason, were not met. We had the tuna tartare (really good!), I had the tuna as a main (it was good), and my husband had the lamb (very good-interesting because it was like a lamb steak). Dessert was also good - we had a popcorn dessert w/ a chocolate fondant. I would recommend this restaurant to others because food is good and atmosphere is great!Special Features:
- Best on the islandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2014We enjoyed the outdoor setting and the meal was the best we had in our 10 day visit on Grand Cayman. The menu had very good variety and the portions were generous. My wife had the wahoo and I had the pork shoulder. We enjoyed both. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant inJamieDined on 2/14/2014Our favorite restaurant in Grand Cayman. The food is masterfully prepared and the ambience is terrific (particularly outdoor dining). We'd recommend to anyone in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Spot in Camana BayStephenPlusGwenDined on 2/6/2014The menu is excellent--there are wide ranging choices, more american than carribean. But quality of ingredients, local where possible and an instinct for great combinations, like the fire-roasted cauliflower with pesto, the seasoning of the oven-roasted chicken and the freshness of ceviche are not to be missed. The other important aspect of this particular restaurant is staff. One of the best restaurants I've been to in that regard. We had a wine spill--they took care of it very attentively. We mentioned gluten sensitivities. They took extra care to mention all the possible concerns, down to mentioning the fact that the fryer was used both for potatoes and batter that contained gluten. One of the best waitresses ever. Very good som.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our third visit on our vacationneverhomeVIPDined on 1/24/2014our third visit on our vacation so it is obvious that we loved this place. so interesting that the menu changes so much within a few days. we sampled many different things and loved them all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome mealAnneDined on 1/20/2014We had lunch and dinner at Michael's while visiting Grand Cayman. We took our kids for lunch and they had the best time playing outside by the fountains. We came back without kids for dinner and had an awesome meal outside. The octopus salad was amazing along wit the fettucine and snapper. We'll definitely be back. When are you opening one in Raleigh? ???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place. We had theneverhomeVIPDined on 1/19/2014Loved this place. We had the ricotta crostini with our drinks..amazing. Our starters were the cheese plate, wahoo ceviche, crab salad, butter lettuce salad, and something with duck chosen because they were out of the seared tuna. The now large plate was a 2 pound whole snapper and we ordered the carrots and the eggplant. Sounds like so much, but the portions are small and you only get a bite or two. Had the sticky toffee pudding for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013Stayed in Cayman for 1 week dined out every meal. Very disappointed in the lack of menu choices and diversity. If not for the patient waitress we would have given this 0/5. Not at all kid friendly! Reserved weeks in advance while we did dine outdoors we did not know we would be on the sidewalk in front of numerous children in their underwear in the fountains and witnessed many people walking their dogs on the grass right in front of wear we ate…gross. Meal was expensive the food bland and we left hungry. We did enjoy other similarly priced restaurants such as Blue; Luca and Ragazzi. Hostess looked unhappy to work there my husband even made a point to tell her how nice the waitress was on our way out & she could not even mutter "thank you."
- Very UnderwhelmingwasuppVIPDined on 11/24/2013Food nicely prepared but lacked any excitement in terms of flavor. I am told the Miami location is much better.
- Good choice in the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/24/2013Husband and I had dinner here on our last night in Grand Cayman. The menu is a little different than most - there's small, medium and large plates. We split the delived eggs - a little too salty and the chips with french onion dip - these were great! For dinner I had the red snapper croquettes and falafel. Falafel was very good, I didn't care for the dipping sauce that came with it - too much tahini I think. The croquettes were way too fishy - I mentioned this to the server and she took them off the check. Husband had the fettuccine with beef - very good. For dessert we had the ice cream sandwich - I think the cookies were a little stale but overall still very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different menu but reallyKevinVIPDined on 7/10/2013Different menu but really good food. Great happy hour prices as well, which is a plus in the Cayman Islands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but an excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/9/2013We had a fantastic dinner at Michael's. We were seated outside and had a very pleasant, friendly and knowledgeable server. While nothing on Grand Cayman is inexpensive, this was the priciest of the dinners we had while on vacation. That said, the food quality was excellent and we are glad we dined here. We both started off with salads--the one with watermelon was refreshing and delicious. I had mahi for my entree and my husband had the NY Strip (I think that's the cut!). Both were excellent, with the steak cooked as ordered. We had a relaxing dinner and would recommend Michael's for a romantic couples dinner or for a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They were thorough in takingFoodallergyDined on 4/17/2013They were thorough in taking my special requests, but could not get it right in the kitchen. Others were straight off the menu and thought it was great.
- GreatCarlabarVIPDined on 3/7/2013Food was great and service was impeccable. W will definitely return!Special Features:
- This was my first time atmemeinthecityVIPDined on 3/1/2013This was my first time at this restaurant. It was a 5.0 experience. I will definitely return again and will plan to try the Miami location when I get to South BeachSpecial Features:
- Not too many places whereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2013Not too many places where you can casually grab a crispy peg's ear salad. Bacon will never taste the same. And the short rib sandwich, done in the fashion of a burger on a bun, but a whole greain bun at that, with a little bit of , I think, melted goat cheese on the bun, was absolutely amazing. Don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a regular cheeseburger, and I love cheeseburgers, LOL!Special Features:
- Among so many uninterestingDmacVIPDined on 2/19/2013Among so many uninteresting restaurants in Grand Cayman, Michael's is a stand out. It seems the goal in Grand Cayman is to emulate the feel of Southern California..l so it is wonderful to have a place that actually serves good food.Special Features:
- Great farm to table food servedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/13/2013Great farm to table food served by friendly staff. Very attentive to gluten free diet.Be sure to eat outside facing the water.Special Features:
- Decor is very casual, moreTLumDined on 1/25/2013Decor is very casual, more of a waterside bar than a restaurant. Food was so-so. There are many better choices for food in Grand Cayman.
- One of the best meals we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2013One of the best meals we had in Cayman. Pie in a Jar and the Home Brew are must haves.Special Features:
- Michael's continues to beEDCJRVIPDined on 1/21/2013Michael's continues to be innovative but not pricey, one of the best spots on the island. Happy hour (4-7 weekdays) is a real treat...you can make a meal of the appetizers and drinks at a really low price. The regular menu still shines, with leg of lamb Greek style and pork belly among others. Very good service. Warning- bring a menu light just in case they are all being used...Special Features:
- A Too Noisy DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2013Overall noise was deafening, impossible to talk or enjoy the otherwise good food. Service very slow, thirty minute wait between courses, no attention whatsoever by the team of servers. Dishes were nicely prepared and plated, a testament to the fine kitchen, however the service staff needs attention, and something done about the excessive noise (bar/ overall) which diminished a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- The kitchen is well trainedchefevDined on 1/3/2013The kitchen is well trained and the food reflects this. We were a party of 8 and everyones appetizer, seafood, meat, and pasta dishes were all executed perfectly. Good balance of flavor in all the dishes, great ambiance, good vibe, outdoor eating available. Highly receommended.Special Features:
- Great patio spot in a vibrantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Great patio spot in a vibrant area. Food and service were a little disappointing but still good. We would give it a second try for sure. It's a hot spot surrounded by other trendy restaurants and shopping in the popular Camana Bay outdoor mall.Special Features:
- Appetizers limited to chipsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/2/2012Appetizers limited to chips and fried things. Overall expectations were high with the large group I took and we were thrilled with the outside environment and atmosphere, but food was just fair.Special Features:
- We've always loved MichaelsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2012We've always loved Michaels for Lunch and Dinner, we brought our neighbors for Brunch and we all agree'd Michael's is a new favorite spot for Brunch.Special Features:
- Michael has a winner in CaymanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012Never disapointing at all!!! Food is fantastic new and different. The help is unparrell and I will continue to come hereSpecial Features:
- Best Restaurant on grand caymanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2012This restaurant has everything great food,fantastic outside dining,ask for Ronnie,the best waiter on the island. Sticky toffee pudding for desert was delicious and braised short ribs was best ever. If you bring children bring swimsuits ,outside showers for kids are the best of camana baySpecial Features:
- WE ENJOY THIS RESTAURANT FORcoloradoVIPDined on 8/6/2012WE ENJOY THIS RESTAURANT FOR A NICE OUTSIDE DINNER AT CAMANA BAYSpecial Features: