64 Green Bay Road
Winnetka, IL 60093Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantmichael.com/
- Phone: (847) 441-3100
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michael Lachowicz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Anything on the menu or anything from past menus is available
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant is available for private events and seats up to 100 people. Smaller private room which features fireplace is available for up to 40 people, larger room for 60 people. Restaurant Michael can cater to any type of event, be it a business function or any festive celebration.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 8474046919x
A word from Michael
Chef Michael Lachowicz presents his version of unpretentious fine French food in a casually elegant setting. Three-star rated by the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Magazine with TWO star prices. Restaurant Michael has private dining facilities for up to 100 guests. We can cater to many types of events be they business functions or any festive celebration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Michael - Best Restaurants in Winnetka ›
Michael reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)fit for foodies (75)romantic (59)notable wine list (44)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (7)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Expensive!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I'm not sure that the rating given on Open Table is accurate. This restaurant is pricey! Food, service, and atmosphere made for a very pleasant evening; just be aware that this restaurant is $$$-$$$$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerGlencoeFoodieDined on 11/11/2014The food was excellent and the server was very attentive. We each ordered the 4 course dinner, and everything was presented beautifully. Appetizers were sweetbreads, escargot, and fois gras. Salads included pistachio-encrusted goat cheese and a spherical poached egg, among other ingredients. The venison and duck breast were prepared to perfection, and the desserts were a rich way to end a celebratory dinner. We definitely plan to return, and have already recommended it to friends. The dinner we enjoyed was worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Shore GemJIDiningDined on 11/9/2014Michaels is a restaurant one would hope to find in the world capitols. It is extraordinary in cuisine, ambiance and service. Conveniently located on Chicago's north shore, it truly is a hidden gem that we greatly appreciate. For a very special dinner for guests, we would never consider heading downtown because Michaels is here and it is simply the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!!BurkeDined on 11/7/2014Best food ever! Great service also! Had a romantic evening with my husband!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale joint in the burbjra0055Dined on 11/1/2014Great place for special occasion - table are far away from each other to be able to converse freely. Food is great - specially foie gras. Prices are steep though :)Special Features:
- A Constantly Wonderful ExperienceNoNNameVIPDined on 11/1/2014We have been frequenting Michael's since before he was in Winnetka. The experience and all one looks for in a quality restaurant is in his establishment. It is wonderful for any special occasion or for a just a nice place to come to during the week. His Friday night special dinners are simply wonderful. The ambience and relaxed but purposeful atmosphere make for a true fine dining experience every time. Thank you Michael, Sergio and all of the staff. You are very special people. Larry and Ina RosenthalSpecial Features:
- Still our favorite on North ShoreAliceWZVIPDined on 10/31/2014We love this restaurant. The service is lovely and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- A High ComplimentPickyDinersVIPDined on 10/29/2014This occasion at Michael was the second time we treated close friends on their anniversary; my wife and I go there fairly regularly. Our friends were thrilled to learn we would be returning to Michael, and Michael as usual didn't disappoint. A splendid meal in every respect. Our entrees covered the field from pork to beef to duck to lamb, and each was unique in every respect. Between ourselves, we gave Michael the highest honor the four of us can accord a restaurant: It is in many ways comparable to the late, very lamented Le Francais, which we all agree was, in its time (and according to the New York Times), the best restaurant in America. Michael may not quite be in that category, but in our opinion, it doesn't miss by much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French cuisine, as it should be.LainchDined on 10/25/2014Everything about Michael's is charming - the dining room, the menu, the service. And the food is masterfully prepared. My butternut squash soup was one of the most riveting interpretations of that beloved fall dish I've ever had. And the chef was kind enough to give me a portion to take home. Even though this restaurant is a bit of a hike from our Loop home, we're going to become regulars.Special Features:
- Just the Absolute BestTHeTsVIPDined on 10/18/2014I can sum up Michael in just two thoughts: Excellent Food, Superb Service. If that doesn't convince you to go there is no hope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michaels is specialFoodDined on 10/15/2014We had a terrific dinner at michaels. The pumpkin soup with little soft puffs of gnocchi was to die for. The salads were good. I had duck that was cooked perfectly and displayed beautifully. My wife had salmon that was delicious, but under cooked. Their wine list was good. We had wines by the glass - a rose that was ok, and a pinot that was very tasty and in the price range expected. Impeccable service. It is pricey, so I'd call it a special occasion place. Very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LEP25VIPDined on 10/15/2014It always a lovely experience at Michael's. The ambiance, service and food are top notch!Special Features:
- ReunionBuckarooDined on 10/15/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Each item, the salmon and the grouper, the gratin potatoes, cauliflower, and potato purée were distinctly unique and very flavorful. Service and the wines were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodie restauranteoddoDined on 10/10/2014I enjoyed the four course prices fixed menu at Michael. The prices were high but the food was spectacular. Service was good but nothing to write home about. In the end, I was pleased I made a decision to try this restaurant out. I think it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for special occasionjra0055Dined on 10/4/2014Foie gras is outstanding, the rest of food was very good, but seems to be bit pricey for what it is. Still, nice to have a high end restaurant with great ambiance and excellent service in north suburbs, where haute cuisine is practically non-existent.Special Features:
- Wonderful - AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/3/2014What can I say, but just another wonderful experience at Restaurant Michael. This has become one our favorites, and is an outstanding find in the suburbs. On this occasion, we visited with neighbors. Everyone enjoyed the food and the wine recommended by Brad was superb. The tag team service approach kept us well taken care of without being overbearing. Our appetizers included smoked salmon, sweat breads, and salmon tartar. Dinners were duck, Grouper (2) , and Pork Tenderloin. Lots of flavor and well prepared. And, the Chocolate Bombe was the bomb!!! We always find the servers here to be friendly and knowledgeable. What else could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrashDined on 10/3/2014Pricy but perfect. This is a small very upscale fine dinning. Portions are small, and the courses done European style. They have a fixed price for 3 or 4 course offerings.Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/1/2014Food was exceptional but there is no excuse for poor service in a restaurant at this price point. No clue who our waiter was, plates delivered at different times and forget who ordered what, never offered coffee/tea or dessert for that matter, waited over 20 minutes for attention. Brought the one dessert that was ordered with the meal but neglected to ask anyone else. Our guest ended up ordering dessert and instead of rushing it through made us wait another 20 minutes. Business dinner and quite the embarrassment. Parking difficult to figure out, wait staff having a cigarette out front advised us.
- Suburban GemHappyDinerVIPDined on 9/30/2014We had a lovely celebration at Michael's with perfect service and amazing food. A lovely evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!GelatoMermaid9Dined on 9/30/2014The food, service, ambiance and background music were outstanding. We arrived for a special occasion anniversary dinner at 5:45 on a Tuesday evening, so it not yet very busy, but it filled up as the evening progressed. I had the 3-option GF prefix and my fiance had the 4-option prefix dinner. All the servings were incredibly amazing....not sure where we put it all, but practically licked our plates. The finale was a molten chocolate GF dish with hazelnut crusted gelato placed on a large plate with "Happy Anniversary!" written in chocolate on the border of the plate......Oh my gosh - what a memorable experience.Special Features:
- I love this placeStJohnVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food and ambience, as always, was exceptional. Service was a little slower than I thought necessary, but this is still one of the best restaurants in the whole Chicago area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never dissapointedAnyaVIPDined on 9/26/2014I have had dinners at Michael before and was never disappointed.. no matter what you order, it taste delicious. Also, the wine list is extensive so you can always find what you enjoy the most.Special Features:
- Fabulous !CLHPDined on 9/20/2014Michael is a special place. Food was wonderful . Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up for MichaelTHeTsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Michael can't be beat. Great food, great service. Why fight your way downtown when you can get the best food in Chicagoland right in Winnetka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Service as usualbisonteVIPDined on 9/19/2014Food is exquisite, service is excellent, room is pleasantly quiet so you can have a nice conversation with your spouse without raising your voice. We are very lucky to have Michaels in the North Shore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandySandyDined on 9/19/2014The food is always just what you would expect from a fabulous French Resturant. The preparation and presentation are par excellent. It will keep you returning again and again for the food that delights. The dining room is lovely and staff well trained. Lucky to have this gem in the north suburbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to please!maestroDined on 9/19/2014Restaurant Michael provides the finest imaginable dining experience: the complete package. Chef/owner Michael Lachowitz is a world-class chef who surrounds himself with superb employees in the kitchen and the dining room. Service is impeccable. His new sommelier, who happens also to be his brother, has greatly improved the wine list. The atmosphere is second to none in metro Chicago: elegant, understated and absolutely quiet even when filled to capacity. This is the place to take close friends and professional associates.Special Features:
- excelllent French style restaurantCorlissDined on 9/16/2014For once these days, it was wonderful to be in a quiet, comfortable restaurant. The service was terrific but not overbearing, and the cuisine was classic French but with a nouvelle touch. A delightful experience all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014We went to Michael for a very special occasion and we had a wonderful time. The dinner was leisurely served without pretension. Each course was more savory than the last. The dining room is well appointed and very conversation friendly. While the cost is high end, it was worth it! It will be a great place to return for a memorable evening when celebrating something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Restaurantrds2evVIPDined on 9/2/2014We went to Michaels for our 25th wedding anniversary and it was superb. The food was excellent and the ambiance is terrific. Instead of driving all the way down to the city, we were able to have an incredible evening on the North Shore. The service is perfect - attentive but not over powering. Also, I used the flowers from open table and they arrived there and were waiting when we sat down. It was a terrific evening and Michaels is a win.Special Features:
- Restaurant Michael1dinerDined on 8/31/2014If you want a truly big end experience, Restaurant Michael is the place to go. The ambience is great, the room quiet, the food and service outstanding. It is a bit pricey, but worth every dollar.Special Features:
- excellent food experiencejeffDined on 8/30/2014I have been going to Micheal since I started working in the neighborhood 5 years ago every time its always been the same...FANTASTIC! It is my go to place for special occasions. I love the way he does the sweetbreads and the cheese puff starter is just amazing. The staff is always friendly and professional and seem to love their jobs. This restaurant is always clean and in order and the food comes out quickly you don't wait and hour between courses its great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccablemaestroDined on 8/27/2014Everything is right: world-class chef, superb sommelier, unequaled service, elegant and quiet atmosphere, diverse menu, gourmet cuisine, ample free parking, great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob1VIPDined on 8/26/2014The best on the North Shore, and one of the very best in the Chicago area. The food is classic and remarkably consistent. Excellent service. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- We'll be back!KennethDined on 8/24/2014This was our second visit to Restaurant Michael and we were not disappointed. Their food is wonderful in its preparation, presentation, and to the palate. We ordered the special lobster menu and were very pleased with it and the wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date nightMelissaDined on 8/23/2014We ordered the 3 course prix fix meal. Hubby ordered: Petite salad maison, lightly smoked lobster and crab ballatine, and the pan roasted halibut for his entree. I ordered the classic salad lyonnaise, diver scallop, and roasted foie gras stuffed hen breast. Both appetizers were great (I preferred the scallop over the lobster/crab ballatine). Salads were okay. Hubby's halibut was terrific. The stuffed hen was good but the seasoning on the hen was a tad too salty. Service was great (our waiter was very attentive and our water glasses were always filled). The 3 course meal completely filled us up (and glad we did not get dessert).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014The Julia Child Birthday commemmoration menu was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie favoriteCharlieDined on 8/14/2014Our dinner was superb! Our first time in the restaurant and it won't be the last. The best food on the northshore so far. The service staff was not up to the standards of the food...pity. I will overlook the staff to eat this remarkable food again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovelylove2eatDined on 8/10/2014This restaurant is definately a gem in terms of food and serivce. Everything was outstanding and having the chef/owner come out for a chat is a nice touch. The smoked lobster/crab roll decorated with thinly shaved radishes was one of the most sublime things I have ever tasted. In adition we loved the simplicity and elegance of the halibut with quinoa combination . As for the decor, this leaves much to be desired as it seems to be a throwback to the days of supperclub and is hopelessly out dated. On another note, we would love to have seen a more extensice wine list as well as an up to date beer list speciffically coordinated to the food for the day.Special Features:
- Can't be beat!THeTsVIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food, excellent service, what more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.