64 Green Bay Road
Winnetka, IL 60093Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantmichael.com/
- Phone: 8474413100x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michael Lachowicz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Anything on the menu or anything from past menus is available
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant is available for private events and seats up to 100 people. Smaller private room which features fireplace is available for up to 40 people, larger room for 60 people. Restaurant Michael can cater to any type of event, be it a business function or any festive celebration.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 8474046919x
A word from Michael
Chef Michael Lachowicz presents his version of unpretentious fine French food in a casually elegant setting. Three-star rated by the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Magazine with TWO star prices. Restaurant Michael has private dining facilities for up to 100 guests. We can cater to many types of events be they business functions or any festive celebration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Michael - Best Restaurants in Winnetka ›
Michael reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (100)fit for foodies (78)romantic (69)notable wine list (53)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (9)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Restaurant MichaelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014If you want a truly big end experience, Restaurant Michael is the place to go. The ambience is great, the room quiet, the food and service outstanding. It is a bit pricey, but worth every dollar.Special Features:
- excellent food experiencejeffDined on 8/30/2014I have been going to Micheal since I started working in the neighborhood 5 years ago every time its always been the same...FANTASTIC! It is my go to place for special occasions. I love the way he does the sweetbreads and the cheese puff starter is just amazing. The staff is always friendly and professional and seem to love their jobs. This restaurant is always clean and in order and the food comes out quickly you don't wait and hour between courses its great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob1VIPDined on 8/26/2014The best on the North Shore, and one of the very best in the Chicago area. The food is classic and remarkably consistent. Excellent service. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- We'll be back!KennethDined on 8/24/2014This was our second visit to Restaurant Michael and we were not disappointed. Their food is wonderful in its preparation, presentation, and to the palate. We ordered the special lobster menu and were very pleased with it and the wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date nightMelissaDined on 8/23/2014We ordered the 3 course prix fix meal. Hubby ordered: Petite salad maison, lightly smoked lobster and crab ballatine, and the pan roasted halibut for his entree. I ordered the classic salad lyonnaise, diver scallop, and roasted foie gras stuffed hen breast. Both appetizers were great (I preferred the scallop over the lobster/crab ballatine). Salads were okay. Hubby's halibut was terrific. The stuffed hen was good but the seasoning on the hen was a tad too salty. Service was great (our waiter was very attentive and our water glasses were always filled). The 3 course meal completely filled us up (and glad we did not get dessert).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014The Julia Child Birthday commemmoration menu was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie favoriteCharlieDined on 8/14/2014Our dinner was superb! Our first time in the restaurant and it won't be the last. The best food on the northshore so far. The service staff was not up to the standards of the food...pity. I will overlook the staff to eat this remarkable food again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovelylove2eatDined on 8/10/2014This restaurant is definately a gem in terms of food and serivce. Everything was outstanding and having the chef/owner come out for a chat is a nice touch. The smoked lobster/crab roll decorated with thinly shaved radishes was one of the most sublime things I have ever tasted. In adition we loved the simplicity and elegance of the halibut with quinoa combination . As for the decor, this leaves much to be desired as it seems to be a throwback to the days of supperclub and is hopelessly out dated. On another note, we would love to have seen a more extensice wine list as well as an up to date beer list speciffically coordinated to the food for the day.Special Features:
- Can't be beat!THeTsVIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food, excellent service, what more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite FoodJosieDined on 8/9/2014Our first time dining at Michael, and we were not disappointed. The food was marvelous. The staff was very helpful about accommodating my gluten intolerance, and there was still a wide selection of things I could eat. My only suggestion for improvement was to space the tables just a bit further apart. We heard every word of the conversation at the next table, which was a bit distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentRockyDined on 8/7/2014Michael always has really outstanding cuisine, friendly service, and very good wines. Our "go to" place for a pleasant, relaxing night out, with a terrific menu.Special Features:
- madame1971VIPDined on 8/5/2014I have eaten here several times and have always been exceptionally happy with my meal. I was a little disappointed this time. The salade lyonnaise was underdressed, and the egg had a very strange consistency. My pork chop was delicious and the portion generous, however my date's halibut portion was quite small. The desserts were good, but not outstanding. I would expect near perfection given the $57.00 cost for the 3 course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always.RichardVIPDined on 8/2/2014What a great place this is. The menu has something for everyone. On this visit, two of us had the Duck combination dinner. Excellent! The ladies had fish -- Halibut for one and Grouper for another. Always a treat to be pampered at Michael.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerNorthshoredaveVIPDined on 8/2/2014Celebrated out 15th anniversary here and the food was great. It was our second time dining here and service was very good. I had the squab which was my first experience with it and it was excellent. My wife had the duck and it was probably the best we have had. Finally the desserts were awesome. The chocolate soufle was perfect. And the other chocolate dessert was great. Great for a special occassion.Special Features:
- Excellent fooddisappointedDined on 8/1/2014Very good dining experience overall. The ante-dining room we were seated in lacked charm, but service and food made up for it a good deal. We settled on the 4-course prix fixe, starting with tuna/salmon tartare and scallops, followed by gazpacho and salade maison. We both chose Alaska halibut, finishing with citron meringue tart and hot fallen chocolate souffle. The Cotes du Rhone I had was superb, my wife enjoyed a cremant and then a special CA chardonnay. Outstanding from beginning to end, the food simply burst with sequentially elegant flavors. Weaknesses: a few ragged serving moments and a curious, rather limited by-the-glass wine list (the 2011 Sawtooth Idaho Riesling is really c. 85 pts, not 90). Highly recommended for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and very delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2014We have been to Michael Restaurant many times and enjoy it every time.The Best Food in a French Restaurant we have found.The waiter staff is very friendly and attentive. Always close by to help. Occasionally the owner will come by each table to talk to his customers. and ask if we are satisfied with our visit. Lovely place to have dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't praise Michael Enough!THeTsVIPDined on 7/19/2014We can't praise Restaurant Michael enough. From the spectacular food to the great service this place is a must visit. This restaurant has to be the best in the Chicagoland area. Don't know why people fight their way into the city when this gem exists in nice quiet Winnetka. We try to visit as often as we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!lilypDined on 7/19/2014The food was, as always, outstanding at Restaurant Michael! Everything, from the (complementary) cheese "puffs" served upon our seating to the delicious (complementary) dark chocolate truffles served at the very end of our meal, was perfection. I had the Vegetarian Artichoke and Exotic Mushroom Risotto that came with asparagus and carrots - yum! I also had the Hot Praline Souffle with Frangelico Creme Anglaise - which was as good as it sounds! Delicious from top to bottom! Highly recommend for any occasion that calls for outstanding food!Special Features:
- Always a great choiceWineLoverVIPDined on 7/17/2014On the North Shore, Michaels can't be beat. Creative food, good service and nice wines. Best is Tuesday evening when you can bring your own favorite wine. We will continue coming back for special occasions or just for a nice meal without travelling into the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/8/2014Celebrated my birthday there and enjoyed it immensely. Service was excellent -- not rushed, yet not inattentive. Food was excellent, too. Nice, creative combinations of tastes & textures. The prix-fix combinations are a steal. Quiet environment was most appreciated. It's very hard to find a nice restaurant with a low noise level, especially in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best kept secret on the North ShorechloeDined on 7/8/2014We ordered the 3 dish prefix from the menu. The Veal sweet breads with escargot was superb. As was the main course of Bison with brisket Ravioli, that I chose. My wife had the Duck, which was very well prepared. We ended our meal with souffles. Service and attention to detail was more than we expected and we will be back when we are next in the Chicago area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to fall in loveIcareaboutfoodDined on 7/3/2014This resturaunt has it all. The food is excellent. The service is excellent. The ambiance is supurb for a quiet romatic dinner. The special evenings are beyond compare. I forgot to mention I wanted the special dinner when I made reservations but the waiter asked the owner and chef Michael and he accommodated taking all the blame even though I said it was my fault. If you love Chef creations and are willing to try, this is the place.Special Features:
- Rose, White & Rouge dinnerSpritleDined on 7/3/2014Michael prepared a wonderful set of seafood dishes as his brother Tom, the new host of the restaurant, matched the offerings with a variety of well selected wines for their pre-independence day dinner at an unexpectedly low price for a 4 course dinner each with paired wine.Special Features:
- winealittleDined on 7/1/2014We have never had a bad meal here. It's one of our favorite restaurants. The menu is fantastic and the service is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014We visited this restorant the second time and always impress with food quality and service. We higly recomended this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful MealjanetjVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was both perfectly prepared and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Still the best on the North ShoreOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014Michael continues to stand head and shoulders above all other restaurants on the North Shore for an outstanding dining experience. The food continues to dazzle and the service, wine and ambiance is first rate. If you haven't been to Michael - Go! and not just for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whay a Treat!foodie2Dined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed the evening very much, the service was fantastic, just right not too intrusive but always attentive and available. The food was excellent,the portions just right. The main entree was a little bit salty.Special Features:
- Favorite Restuarant on North ShoreAliceWZVIPDined on 6/27/2014We love dining at Michael. The food is delicious. The ambiance is lovely and the service is always personal and attentive. We are always happy to see that the restaurant is fully booked because we hope it will stay open for many, many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would go back again and again.FoodFan4LifeDined on 6/24/2014As a repeat customer, I look forward to dining at Restaurant Michael. You can enjoy a fine-dining experience in an intimate and quiet atmosphere where the staff pampers you with attentiveness. Their goal is to achieve your ultimate satisfaction. The food is elegantly prepared and delivered to your table in a timely fashion. You are not rushed, nor are your courses presented prematurely or in a rushed fashion. Whether it's your first visit or your umpteenth time, you are treated like a friend who has come to visit and you leave with their anticipation that they will see you again. It has become our new favorite "special occasion" restaurant but you don't necessarily need one to come dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014This is a restaurant that is perfect for a special occasion. The food is to die for, in which I have never had fish that good. I would strongly recommend a reservation, because it was packed, even though it was a rainstorm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long term favorite disappointedBillVIPDined on 6/21/2014Michael's has always been one of our favorite restaurants in terms of the food experience, service quality and ambience. This time they were off of their game not allowing their chef's tasting menu, their service was less than what had previous been expected (ordered wine poured into previously used glasses), food good but not special and valet service using umbrellas in rain for themselves but not covering guests. All disappointing and not Michael's quality.Special Features:
- Needs better furnitureNitpicker011VIPDined on 6/20/2014The food and service were good enough. It would have been a lot more enjoyable had the tables and chairs been more generously sized. Apart from being uncomfortable, there was no space anywhere for bags and stuff to go (the edges of the chair backs were slightly rounded and not secure enough for hanging items). Diners at other tables had their purses on the ground. I asked the server for a bag stool (which nice restaurants should provide) but they didn't have any. Because I was there after graduation, my family had to place our bags and expensive cameras on the ground. I kept having to look out to make sure the servers didn't step on them.Special Features:
- Usually very good but...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/20/2014We frequent Michael but it seems to have lost a step recently. Some of the new food additions are frankly not good and the wait between courses has gotten steadily worse.
- Great Food Freat ServiceJowyDined on 6/20/2014We went to celebrate my wife Graduation, the group of servers were extremely attentive and made sure that we were taken care of to ensure the evening was spectacular. My wife wine glass was never empty...Special Features:
- A very special dining experienceEdiesfindsDined on 6/19/2014Back for a wonderful dining experience at Michael's. The food is exceptional and the 3 course prixe fix menu is a great value for fine dining.Special Features:
- an incomparable experiencemaestroDined on 6/17/2014Fine dining is as great an art as any of the performing or visual arts, and it needs to be savored in all is multi-layered glory. Restaurant Michael is one of few area restaurants where everything is working together to create one delightful experience after another. It is not the "vibrant, hopping" scene that some seem to seek, yet on every visit we see young people who clearly are enjoying their experience as much as we are. Michael himself remains peerless in the kitchen and has put together so consistently excellent a kitchen staff that the quality remains high even when Michael himself is absent. The service is the finest one could find anywhere, and the ambience is understated, attractive and remarkably quiet.Special Features:
- Ruined Anniversary DinnerMPFoodiesVIPDined on 6/14/2014Our waiter was completely non-responsive: REFUSED to make menu recommendations, did not serve our food, did not describe our food after it was served, did not ask how any part of our meal was, did not offer coffee or after dinner drinks, did not talk to us from after our appetizers until he brought our bill. He actively avoided our table, as did the chef/owner when he made the rounds of the dining room. This was our 29th anniversary, and we highlighted this with Open Table. No acknowledgement was made of our event. I am still so upset by the poor quality of service that I have no comment on the quality of the food. Truly one of the saddest dinners of my entire life and I don't know what we could have done as a family to change it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/13/2014We were a little disappointed. It was a Friday night & there weren't many people there when arrived. The service was slow between courses. Our good wasn't as good as the last time we were there. We do plan to go back any time soon.
- diner2VIPDined on 6/10/2014The only negative was that the night we were there, a golf group was in the back room and the smell of cigar smoke permeated the restaurant for about an hour. Other than that, it was a great evening with terrific food and good service. This is a consistently good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.