Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelsmithkc.com/
- Phone: (816) 842-2202
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30-2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Smith
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Smith 8168422202
A word from Michael Smith
Michael Smith is an Upscale Contemporary American restaurant in the crossroads district of Kansas City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Michael Smith - Best Restaurants in Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard ›
Michael Smith reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)special occasion (57)romantic (41)notable wine list (37)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (9)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- This is the 2nd best 5-star in townJEPritchettVIPDined on 11/22/2014Blue Stem is the best 5-star. Michael Does a good job with most of the food selection. Presentation and quantity of some of the courses is small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Had anything I didn't likeunixrabVIPDined on 11/13/2014Had a good meal. The Italian Menu was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday to me!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014Excellent food, fabulous atmosphere, amazing service - we had the place to ourselves on a Tuesday night. I had the tasting menu. Loved it! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time is the CharmF3FoodFriendsFunDined on 11/11/2014Michael Smith's was an extra special treat for a midweek dining experience. The contemporary and sleek dining room created a perfect backdrop to an outstanding meal. The menu included many wonderful and unique offerings. Each was beautifully served and deliciously prepared. The service was extraordinary. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the entries, provided personal suggestions and talked about the chef's menu favorites. He gave utmost attention in a very discreet way. Our needs were always fulfilled without interruption to our conversations or meal enjoyment. We were all so happy with our first time at Michael Smiths! Kudos to the entire restaurant team.Special Features:
- Great experienceBillDined on 11/8/2014Michael Smith was a great dining experience. We tried the 6 course tasting menu which with the wine pairings. It's not something to do on a regular basis as it was a bit pricey, but when put in the context of what was presented was absolutely worth it. The worst thing that we tried was still very good. Probably our favorite was the duck breast...will likely order that by itself next time we go there which will be soon.Special Features:
- not worth the pricesabsDined on 11/4/2014We went to this restaurant based on fact it was a james beard award winner and was a wine spectator award winner. We attempted to order three bottles from the wine list - all of which were unavailable. The bread that was served with meal seemed as if it was in the freezer and just thawed in microwave as the top was still damp and remainder hard. I had a pasta dish which didn't have any flavor or taste. We also had the rib eye which tasted like it has been sitting around for several days.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The food, especially the appetizers were great. The pan seared foie gras had an amazing blend of flavors, we also got a complimentary chicken wing appetizer which was fabulous. The service was good as well. Overall it was a lovely experience. Will definitely like to go again.Special Features:
- Losing steamTraveladdictkcVIPDined on 10/24/2014Michael Smith used to be our favorite restaurant in Kansas City for the last 3 1/2 years since moving here, however, our last two visits have left a little something to be desired. Service which is typically spot on was a little slow and it wasn't even that busy. Food was good but I can't say I'd call it great this time. Might need to find a new favorite and just stick with Extra Virgin from now on.Special Features:
- VickiDined on 10/18/2014The food was wonderful and portions were just right. The service was great!Special Features:
- Big NightJeroenVIPDined on 10/16/2014We dined at Michael Smith on Thursday, and it was Big Night, which meant 50% off of all Italian wines! Needles to say that we enjoyed a Veneto prosecco rose and a wonderful Barolo with our perfect dinner. We were advised to order the four course and that was good advise. The octopus in the starter was grilled to perfection. The hand made rigatoni with braised beef was delicious as ware the scallops. After dinner we met Chef Michael at our table for a nice chat, we had a great evening.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/14/2014We love this pale, and enjoy coming when we have a special occasion to celebrate. It is pricey, but well worth it. You can tell the menu is developed with care, and the wait staff is well trained. We had the pasta tastings as entrees, which were a bit more than we expected to pay and ingest, but they were delicious.Special Features:
- SublimeSiobhanDined on 10/14/2014Michael Smith always knocks it out of the park with wonderfully prepared, local food items. The short ribs were fabulous! Our waiter suggested the perfect wine pairing.Special Features:
- loves itpctkcmoDined on 10/7/2014second time here with my wife, loved it both times. that sea urchin budino, tho. yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingchowhoundDined on 10/4/2014As always, a great meal, the service was excellent and made for a wonderful evening. This is our special occasion place and they never fail us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014As always fantastic food and superior service. Will absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelychristynmichaelDined on 10/3/2014genuinely enjoyed our experience. the menu could have been a little more diverse. but we appreciated the focus on fresh and local.Special Features:
- A Need for Some Self Evaluation?RichardGDined on 10/2/2014Not 1 of KC's best; not what we expected. A greatly out dated menu. Fine; preparation and food can still be wonderful. Not every place has to be the newest or craziest. But, we got burnt foie gras and shoe leather steak. Foie was melted to about a sixteenth of an inch, if that, with no foie taste; just the taste of burnt oil put on large piece of cake. "Medium rare" steak served two ways was shoe leather on one, well done on the other; one no taste; one decent flavor but way overcooked. A fried chicken cacciatore tasted good and was worthy of any menu - of 1960. MS needs an overhaul badly. Smith is a nice guy and talented. He must re-evaluate and, if nothing else, make sure the plates that leave the kitchen meet some standard.
- Always goodTJW87Dined on 9/19/2014We have eaten here several times and have always had great good and service. We try different items from the menu each time and have never been disappointed. One of KC's gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Date Nightldougherty82Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I chose Michael Smith for a date night out paired with the great Groupon deal we found online. Sometimes I am wary when a restaurant advertises with Groupon, as a few times we have been greatly disappointed. That was NOT the case with Michael Smith. We were greeted quickly by very friendly staff, seated immediately and waited almost no time at all for our waitress to great us. After ordering our dinner the waitress gave an incredible wine suggestion that we both enjoyed and went wonderfully with our food. The service was attentive without being overbearing. The food was melt in your mouth good. The restaurant had beautiful decor and was a nice atmosphere without being too stuffy. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Michael SmithgerryzuDined on 9/13/2014Just a fantastic evening every time I have been there. The creative mixture of foods creates a journey through wonderland for your taste buds. Always a great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Although the 8hr pork raost was fantastic. The duck was not preapred well. It was rubbery. I shold have just ordrered the ribeye.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Night--ThursdayMaryDined on 9/4/2014Excellent 4-course meal, definitely one of the best of KC. Only negative is a bit pricey for us to eat there as often as we would like.Special Features:
- Back again and loved itRewired2Dined on 8/30/2014We were delighted upon our return to Michael Smith. My husband and I enjoyed the waiters recommendation The heirloom/watermelon salad was delightful as was the rabbit gnocchi and peach desert. My husband had the scallops and wished the portion was larger (there were three on the plate). Once the train line is in, this is guaranteed to be a hot spot! Wish he had a Restaurant in Minneapolis!Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceJMMHVIPDined on 8/29/2014Nice place for a special meal. Food is salty so I just ordered to get my food with no salt. Other than that food is very good as is the service.
- Excellent!tallyhoVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had impeccable service and food. Always consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- microbesVIPDined on 8/22/2014I think Michael Smith is a very imaginative, innovative chef. We had barnacles for the first time; I don't know that I'd try them again, but I'm glad I tasted them once.Special Features:
- Lost their edgeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/21/2014This is the second time we have been recently and they seem to have lost their edge. Overall good but not great and not worth wha they are charging. Time to close?
- Great StuffKCDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Toward Full Disclosure - We have dined often at Michael Smith's Regardless, our dinner last Saturday night may have been the best ever !!! The current edition of seared foie gras is spectacular with the sweetness of the cherry sauce and fresh peach sections wrapped in bacon, what an incredible combination of flavors. From the foie, move on to the BLT Salad, superb, followed by the scallops, then finishing with the Banana Split Desert AND, we were almost sad to hear that Tuesday, August 19th the menu changes, however, it is those constant changes that keeps our interest peaked, and us coming back to Michael Smith's toward enjoyable, interesting dinners.Special Features:
- We've never had a problem heresomeguyDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I eat at Michael Smith Restaurant a few times a year and always enjoy the food, atmosphere and service. It is a must for those in the area.Special Features:
- MY go-to RestaurantschradeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Consistently an outstanding dining experience. Servers are great and knowledgeable about the dishes. I love how I can go as a single diner and never feel my experience is less because I am alone, in fact I often feel it is enhanced. I often use a groupon, but often go without one.Special Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Lovely room, spot on service. Gorgeous presentation, great use of seasonal ingredients. Elegant yet unpretentious. Satisfying. Worth the $$. Will return. Went to the other local Beard winner the night before. Both were terrific.Special Features:
- Off their game.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014Usually love this restaurant but was disappointed this time. The food was not as good as usual. But for the banana split the desserts were awful. We could only get later reservations yet the restaurant was mostly empty when we arrived.Special Features:
- Great Service and Good FoodJMMHVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our sever was outstanding. The food was very good. A little to salty for us but I am sure fine for most people. Great place with nice atmosphere.
- food was amazingladyofthelakeDined on 7/30/2014We had dinner before a concert and the food was so good we kept talking about it all night. We had scallops, halibut, salmon and pork. Every dish was delicious. Our server was very knowledgable and attentive. I have eaten at Michael Smith's several times, and I would recommend anyone looking for a great meal to make plans to eat there.Special Features:
- The following 1375 reviews are from the Michael Smith reviews archive.
- Almost a great eveningLovemd0716Dined on 7/25/2014We loved the look of the restaurant and the service was very good. Having Michael Smith come to our table was a wonderful honor. Everyone was very hospitable and attentive. I had the Roasted Duck and it was excellent. The only draw back was my wife's dinner. She had the Pork Roast which came highly recommended by our server. The crush on the outside was very hard almost inedible, the internal meat was tender and flavorful. All in all it was almost a great evening.Special Features:
- HalibitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Was slightly over done, which I wouldn't have expected from this style of restaurant but it could have just been an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerDBd4Dined on 7/11/2014What a great place to dine! We just happened to make reservations at Michael Smith's on the 7 year anniversary of the restaurant. We celebrated with a delightful 7 course meal that was like no other. Fresh lobster, a filet that melted in your mouth, fine cheeses, and a delightful chocolate brownie dessert that was so good. Michael even came to our table to wish us a happy anniversary. We received complimentary champagne from the house. What a great night at this neighborhood gem. Will definitely go back! Fresh, lively, great staff, and personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014As always at Michael Smith, everything was outstanding, which is fortunate, as this page again only allows 'outstanding' ratings. Rob provided excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsAdmiralbirdDined on 6/20/2014Michael Smith's has been one of the premier restaurants in Kansas City for many years, but on my last two visits has not lived up to its reputation. There were four in our party on the most recent occasion and all were of the same opinion. I had the a salad of fava beans and hearts of palm with minimal evidence of either, but lots of greens. The entree was roast pork, which was deep friend and a bit overcooked. While I don't remember what I ordered on my visit last year the memory was of a similar experience. We were there on a Friday night and there were few other patrons. A bid sad as this has in years past been one of my favorites.Special Features:
- DisappointingalwayshopefulDined on 6/20/2014We waited an extra long time for everything, as though the restaurant was short of help that night (friday June 20). I ordered the Alaskan halibut, which was dried out, with an inadequate amount of sauce to add moisture. After a long wait following my dessert order, the waiter brought the wrong one; the correct one was brought after yet another very long wait. When it finally arrived, the dessert (Blackberry Cobbler) was ridiculously tiny, with extra-sour blackberries surrounding a 1/4 cup serving of crust with small ice cream. Not satisfying at all. We were a little disappointed in the wine we ordered. It was not the kind of wedding anniversary celebration we expected.