Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelsmithkc.com/
- Phone: 8168422202
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30-2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Smith
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Smith 8168422202
A word from Michael Smith
Michael Smith is an Upscale Contemporary American restaurant in the crossroads district of Kansas City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Michael Smith - Best Restaurants in Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard ›
Michael Smith reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)special occasion (53)romantic (40)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (8)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good Food and ServiceJMMHVIPDined on 8/29/2014Nice place for a special meal. Food is salty so I just ordered to get my food with no salt. Other than that food is very good as is the service.
- Excellent!tallyhoVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had impeccable service and food. Always consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- microbesVIPDined on 8/22/2014I think Michael Smith is a very imaginative, innovative chef. We had barnacles for the first time; I don't know that I'd try them again, but I'm glad I tasted them once.Special Features:
- Lost their edgeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/21/2014This is the second time we have been recently and they seem to have lost their edge. Overall good but not great and not worth wha they are charging. Time to close?
- Great StuffKCDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Toward Full Disclosure - We have dined often at Michael Smith's Regardless, our dinner last Saturday night may have been the best ever !!! The current edition of seared foie gras is spectacular with the sweetness of the cherry sauce and fresh peach sections wrapped in bacon, what an incredible combination of flavors. From the foie, move on to the BLT Salad, superb, followed by the scallops, then finishing with the Banana Split Desert AND, we were almost sad to hear that Tuesday, August 19th the menu changes, however, it is those constant changes that keeps our interest peaked, and us coming back to Michael Smith's toward enjoyable, interesting dinners.Special Features:
- We've never had a problem heresomeguyDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I eat at Michael Smith Restaurant a few times a year and always enjoy the food, atmosphere and service. It is a must for those in the area.Special Features:
- MY go-to RestaurantschradeDined on 8/16/2014Consistently an outstanding dining experience. Servers are great and knowledgeable about the dishes. I love how I can go as a single diner and never feel my experience is less because I am alone, in fact I often feel it is enhanced. I often use a groupon, but often go without one.Special Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Lovely room, spot on service. Gorgeous presentation, great use of seasonal ingredients. Elegant yet unpretentious. Satisfying. Worth the $$. Will return. Went to the other local Beard winner the night before. Both were terrific.Special Features:
- Off their game.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014Usually love this restaurant but was disappointed this time. The food was not as good as usual. But for the banana split the desserts were awful. We could only get later reservations yet the restaurant was mostly empty when we arrived.Special Features:
- Great Service and Good FoodJMMHVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our sever was outstanding. The food was very good. A little to salty for us but I am sure fine for most people. Great place with nice atmosphere.
- food was amazingladyofthelakeDined on 7/30/2014We had dinner before a concert and the food was so good we kept talking about it all night. We had scallops, halibut, salmon and pork. Every dish was delicious. Our server was very knowledgable and attentive. I have eaten at Michael Smith's several times, and I would recommend anyone looking for a great meal to make plans to eat there.Special Features:
- Almost a great eveningLovemd0716Dined on 7/25/2014We loved the look of the restaurant and the service was very good. Having Michael Smith come to our table was a wonderful honor. Everyone was very hospitable and attentive. I had the Roasted Duck and it was excellent. The only draw back was my wife's dinner. She had the Pork Roast which came highly recommended by our server. The crush on the outside was very hard almost inedible, the internal meat was tender and flavorful. All in all it was almost a great evening.Special Features:
- HalibitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Was slightly over done, which I wouldn't have expected from this style of restaurant but it could have just been an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerDBd4Dined on 7/11/2014What a great place to dine! We just happened to make reservations at Michael Smith's on the 7 year anniversary of the restaurant. We celebrated with a delightful 7 course meal that was like no other. Fresh lobster, a filet that melted in your mouth, fine cheeses, and a delightful chocolate brownie dessert that was so good. Michael even came to our table to wish us a happy anniversary. We received complimentary champagne from the house. What a great night at this neighborhood gem. Will definitely go back! Fresh, lively, great staff, and personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014As always at Michael Smith, everything was outstanding, which is fortunate, as this page again only allows 'outstanding' ratings. Rob provided excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsAdmiralbirdDined on 6/20/2014Michael Smith's has been one of the premier restaurants in Kansas City for many years, but on my last two visits has not lived up to its reputation. There were four in our party on the most recent occasion and all were of the same opinion. I had the a salad of fava beans and hearts of palm with minimal evidence of either, but lots of greens. The entree was roast pork, which was deep friend and a bit overcooked. While I don't remember what I ordered on my visit last year the memory was of a similar experience. We were there on a Friday night and there were few other patrons. A bid sad as this has in years past been one of my favorites.Special Features:
- DisappointingalwayshopefulDined on 6/20/2014We waited an extra long time for everything, as though the restaurant was short of help that night (friday June 20). I ordered the Alaskan halibut, which was dried out, with an inadequate amount of sauce to add moisture. After a long wait following my dessert order, the waiter brought the wrong one; the correct one was brought after yet another very long wait. When it finally arrived, the dessert (Blackberry Cobbler) was ridiculously tiny, with extra-sour blackberries surrounding a 1/4 cup serving of crust with small ice cream. Not satisfying at all. We were a little disappointed in the wine we ordered. It was not the kind of wedding anniversary celebration we expected.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/20141st mediocre experience ever at Michael Smith's. Food & wine mostly poor this evening. Service & ambience pleasant.
- Wow factorFuntodinningDined on 6/13/2014Great service with extensive wine list and drink menu. I would recommend the multi course meal with a group, this is great for sharing and seeing a lot of different items. The cheese with a scotch put it over the top!Special Features:
- ExcellentDEDBVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food and service is excellent. Great restaurant...Special Features:
- Awesome, Awesome, Awesome...HappyCoupleDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I are semi-new to the KCMO area and are just starting to explore the foodie scene. We are gourmet lovers and I tend to lean towards French when spending a lot of $$. I was really nervous but we gave this place a change. I am SO (!!) glad we did. We even went out on a limb and did the chefs tasting menu and didn't give any requirements. We were totally open and had the 5 course with the wine pairings. We would have done the 6 course but hubby isn't big on a cheese course, so we skipped. I couldn't be happier. It was an incredible night out. We will definitely be coming back. The rabbit was phenomenal, the ceviche was top notch, the pork was to die for... HIGHLY recommend! A must try.Special Features:
- Will vist againLaurenjoDined on 5/31/2014My husband an I had a lovely meal at Michael Smith. From the tme we walked in to our leaving, service was top notch. I found the servers to be knowledgeable and provided wonderful suggestions. The food was delicious, well-prepared and lovely to look at. Our only negative was a long wait from our salad to entree, due to a big order that was put in before ours. We used a Groupn, which brought the cost down considerably, but the prices were comparible to other fine dining establishments. Groupon or not, we will definitely will go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014We had a quiet corner table and enjoyed the atmosphere and the good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Michael Smith!SUSUDined on 5/24/2014Michael Smith Restaurant is our favorite in Kansas City. There are many wonderful places to dine in KC, and this is consistently top notch. All the menu choices we've made here are creatively presented and amazingly delicious. Heartily recommended!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningdonfromwestboroughVIPDined on 5/22/2014Went on a Thursday which is their "Italian" night. 4 course priced fixed meal was $45. A bargain for quality of food. Plus 30+ wines (Italian) were half price. Interesting, well thought out food, well prepared, service was very good. Mr. Smith came by to introduce himself, answered questions about the food. Had a very engaging conversation with him about his menu. A welcome mixture of a friendly restaurant with a nice degree of formalness so that the overall experience of dining is there. Clearly one of the 2-3 best restaurants in KC.Special Features:
- 4 stars1sttimerDined on 5/17/2014This was an excellent restaurant for a special occassion. Food was very good but my fish was a little under cooked. Service was excellent. Tables are fairly close together so little privacy. I would like to go there again!Special Features:
- DickDined on 5/16/2014Great food, we'll presented in a delightful atmosphereSpecial Features:
- mother's day eveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014quiet evening after a storm. good food as always, but disappointed when wrong dessert came and waiter said I thought you ordered this one and did not offer to remove-stated that it was his favorite. not mine, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC13VIPDined on 5/7/2014Consistently a fabulous dining experience. Really a no brainer when it comes to having a special event, like celebrating an anniversary, the place to go Michael Smith.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversarytimescottiegirlDined on 5/7/2014We were celebrating a wedding anniversary and ready to splurge but food did not warrant expense. My steak was tough and my vegetables were over-salted; my husband's fish was dry. Our view out the window was of a street under construction. They knew it was our anniversary but offered no special services other than to say "happy anniversary." There were very few people in the restaurant so I don't think they can blame being under pressure. It was nice and quiet, which made it easy to have conversation...but, overall advice would be that if you put your name on your restaurant, you better make sure the food is scrumptious.Special Features:
- The following 1356 reviews are from the Michael Smith reviews archive.
- A very solid restaurantSammyDined on 5/3/2014A very solid restaurant. A great wine list. Fantastic food. The waitstaff is very experienced and doesn't miss a thing.Special Features:
- Go for the food!StewVIPDined on 5/2/2014Michael Smith is a master chef with creative presentations. He melds flavor stores perfection. A truly wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Kansas City's Bestfoodie4funDined on 4/30/2014This was my 4th trip in to Michael Smith and my husband and I love this restaurant. Every dish is layered with well thought out and intricate flavors. The food looks beautiful and the quality of ingredients and preparation is top notch. The eight hour pork is a tasty standard on the menu, but for the more adventurous I'd recommend the panchetta wrapped sturgeon. I've tried both soups and salads here and have always been pleased. Even the desserts which tend to be throw aways at many nicer restaurants are decadent and delicious. I highly recommend the pot de creme and the dark chocolate apricot tort with bacon ice cream. The wine selection is excellent. This is a wonderful restaurant and I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Golden!MichaelsMealMusingsDined on 4/29/2014Everything Michael Smith touches, at least food-wise, turns into a golden feast of deliciousness! Had the seared steak with guava bbq sauce, which came with a potato and carrot hash that had a wonderful kick to it. Also ordered a side of garlicky spinach, which could have used a little more seasoning for my taste. Fiance had the chorizo stuffed chicken with artichokes. Both dishes the meat was tender and done to perfection! Rob gave us samples of some wines to sample, as I am a relative newbie to drinking wine. Settled on a German reisling, which was very good! For dessert had the lemon cake with blueberry compote which was outstanding!Special Features:
- Kansas City WOW!!NorthlandFoodieDined on 4/29/2014Best dining experience we've had in Kansas City and probably ties for #1 overall. Our waiter was extremely helpful, made suggestions and explained everything. We will be going back very soon. From the very first small bite to dessert, every plate was amazing.Special Features:
- Always a great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/26/2014Our favorite in KC. The menu is always great, the service and food are top notch. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- still one of the bestcarlDined on 4/26/2014We've been dining all over Kansas City for years and have followed Michael Smith the person throughout his career here. The restaurant that is his namesake continues to impress. We took some friends from Phoenix there before a show at the Kaufmann Center and they couldn't have been more impressed. The salads were all outstanding but I especially liked the asparagus Leek salad with a perfect egg. All our entree's were very well prepared from Osso Bucco to Halibut. Great place to dine and wine list is excellent although I wish there was more natural light in the place not obscured by curtains.Special Features:
- Vegan-Friendly?DinnerMusicDined on 4/25/2014Many restaurants have made the effort in today's increasingly health conscious society to include vegan or vegetarian options on their menu. This is not one of those restaurants. If you or one of your dinner guests is vegan or vegetarian, CALL AHEAD to let the chefs know so they can think up something to offer you. I just wrote it in the comment section on the Open Table reservation and they did not get the memo, so it took both the server and chef by surprise which caused an inconvenience for both us and them. The music played was quite diverse, and didn't really add any thematic element to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Thursdays !!!KCDinerVIPDined on 4/24/2014Michael's 4-Course Italian Thursday combined with their half price off $100 wines is an outstanding culinary experience Add an order of the seared foie gras !!!Special Features:
- Back to Culinary SchoolEventsonthegoVIPDined on 4/18/2014After our much anticipated visit on April 18, we walked away wishing for a big KC BBQ. I had the special - slow roasted 8 hour pork roast. Let me just say: I LOVE SALT. After that meal, I may never touch a salt shaker again. The pea risotto was delightful, however. My husband ordered the steak, which came sliced with an abundance of sauce all over. Yikes! Our waiter seemed not too overjoyed with his job and it showed. We absolutely did not want to complain, ate what we could and departed for a nearby bar. We left him a generous tip. I really wanted to enjoy Michael's inspirational cooking -Antelope Chop, Seared Skate Wing - all the wonderful things he is know for since I have been following his career. It was not to be.Special Features: