Michael Forbes Bar & Grille
128 W. 63rd Street
Kansas City, MO 64113Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Michael Forbes Bar & Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.michaelforbesgrille.com/
- Phone: (816) 333-4355
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm;
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner 4:00pm-10:00pm 11:00pm friday & saturday
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Cross
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From 10 to 500 people we provide excellent food and service...Please call Forbes for details..816.578.2324
A word from Michael Forbes Bar & Grille
Great Brookside neighborhood restaurant with a causal feel and freshly prepared food. Steaks, fresh seafood,salads, sandwiches and appetizers. Michael Forbes Grille has been in the Kansas City area since 1985.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Michael Forbes Bar & Grille - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Michael Forbes Bar & Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)great for lunch (19)fit for foodies (19)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (13)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (9)romantic (6)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Our Server was the Best!luvgoodfoodDined on 11/21/2014Our server, Kerry, was the very best. No request was too difficult and my Dad and I really enjoyed ourselves. Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept SecretFamilyguy32Dined on 11/1/2014We drove past this restaurant several times before we actually attempted to try it. We were very happy with our choice. Food was excellent and the price was very reasonable for me and my wife to have date night. We decided we have a new spot and we will be back very soon.Special Features:
- Neighborhood SpotkcmandyDined on 10/20/2014I still miss Sharp's that used to be in this spot, but the food was good. The menu is fairly common fare but a few things have unique twists (like the smoked red pepper pasta that was deliciously smoky). The garlic burger with mushrooms and swiss seemed misnamed but the garlic sauce was very tasty. We noticed we were definitely the youngest party in the room (mosty over 60 crowd at 6 pm on a Monday evening). The server was pleasant and helpful but seemed like he could have used some help. When we walked in the hostess was back in the bar (helping serve?) - possibly understaffed all around. All around good, convenient place to go when you don't want to spend a fortune or dress up to go out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatinkcluv2eatinkcDined on 10/18/2014Great atmosphere however, it was a little loud but other than that the food was great and so was the service. The appetizers were particularly delicious! Love the calamari! Complete perfection. It's hard to find good calamari and you guys got it right. I would love to come back and try the Bunch menu some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing outstandingkcfoodieDined on 10/15/2014Food and service were fine, just nothing outstanding. Menu was a hodge podge of cuisine.
- DelightfulrlcbyjanDined on 10/3/2014Staff makes you feel very at home and no request is too intrusive. Looking forward to trying other items on extensive menu.Special Features:
- Neighborhood TraditionJuliaButterflyDined on 9/28/2014This location has been a Brookside Neighborhood gathering place for years (altho' a different name until last year or two). We had terrific service and my husband will order the Sunday special of fried chicken again. My soup and salad were yummy and just what I wanted.Special Features:
- get control of your kitchenKctoolguyDined on 9/27/2014Great server! salads were served with onions after requesting them without because I can an allergic reaction to them and I had explained why, then the pizza was covered with onions too after we requested it to be cooked with out. it was returned and the second one was burned on the bottom but by then we were so hungry we ate some of it just to get out of there.
- Step back in time with great foodTravinaDined on 9/26/2014Old steakhouse vibe, great food. The fried chicken is amazing! Smoked chicken tacos are worth a try! Very reasonable prices on everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, food, ambiance.GourmandDined on 9/26/2014Great food is here, but you must choose well. The fish & chips were delicious, anything more is excellent, while most less is mediocre. Decipher that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously AccommodatingSteveEatsalotDined on 9/24/2014Party of five (aged 55 - 88) enjoyed an array of different menu items/cuisines & had to regrettably leave after 2 hours due to appointments! Special assistance cheerfully given by all staff to wheelchair-bound person. Would be rated 5 ☺ stars except for the 'kind of' complicated entry (required someone to hold 1 or 2 doors for wheelchair) & "grandfathered" pre-ADA 1990 parking for disabled vans... nonexistent within seventy-five feet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming back!mojobeeDined on 9/18/2014From the moment we sat down, the service was stellar. We were asked about drinks and not pressured at all to decide immediately. Our waitress knew all the beer selections very well and was helpful in our decisions. When it came time to order, she made the special sound so delicious I don't think any of us had a doubt that it was going to be our dinner. The food came out perfectly cooked to our specifications and was outstanding. I am still not sure what was better, our food or our waitress. Both were exceptional. We will absolutely be coming back.Special Features:
- A neighborhood food stopjacksonDined on 9/17/2014Not fine dining but a good solid dinner and bar spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Our out-of-town guests really enjoyed themselves and were very impressed with the tacos and BBQ.Special Features:
- Great service!AndyDined on 9/6/2014We came to the restaurant, as we love the food and service. If you're down in the Brookside area, we would definitely recommend this place. The food tastes great, and not that expensive at all. Also, the staff is extremely friendly and enjoyable. I had the salmon salad, and my partner had a sliced steak-type thing - both delicious and hitting the spot. Our waiter was very personable, and had great recommendations for us. We ill definitely be going back here!Special Features:
- Back Again!JoJoDined on 9/5/2014Michael Forbes is one of those places that comes to mind when you can't think of someplace you really want to go, but you know you want a good meal. It's reliable, the staff is always friendly, and the food is always good. It's good to have a restaurant like this in one's back pocket.Special Features:
- CatfishWhitehorseDined on 9/5/2014Prepared Perfect. Debnoned at tableside if you prefer,none better since RomenellisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindJuliebDined on 8/30/2014I haven't been here is years but will definitely come back. The food was delicious and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Great selection... Every thing we have tried is excellent.... Red Pepper Pasta, Steak Tacos, Prime Rib, White Chocolate Bread Pudding. Service is very friendly and efficient. We eat here regularly because of the warm atmosphere and reasonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for foodiesToughcrowdDined on 8/24/2014Michael Forbes puts an edgy twist on traditional favorites like the Chicken Fried Chicken and fish tacos. Good-sized burgers for good-sized appetites along with great drinks and comfortable atmosphere for catching the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had the salmon salad - the salmon was cooked to order as in NOT OVER COOKED. That was a big plus since lots of reataurants cook fish til it's dry & tasteless. A glass of $5 house wine is a nice touch.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food & ServiceTheLofFatherDined on 8/16/2014This was our first meal here and believe me when I say we were not disappointed in the least! You begin with your server bringing each one at your table one of the most mouth-watering dinner rolls I've had in a long time. The fried artichoke hearts and the calamari appetizers were perfectly prepared. Will highly recommend the Chicken Fried Chicken and Steak Mirin for your entrees...they were delicious and filling. All of the staff was friendly and gracious (the latter, not being something you always encounter in a "bar & grille"). So all in all a wonderful dining experience for us and our friends. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolJDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I had eaten at Michael Forbes several times, so when our dinner group was going to get together, we recommended that we eat there. It was the first time for the other 3 couples. They all commented on how good the food was and all would definitely go back! Waiter was attentive and food was served in a timely manner. The Smoked Red Pepper Pasta is delicious!!! I found a new favorite! This is definitely a place to try and go back to again and again.Special Features:
- A great last minute choice!rocchocmdDined on 8/9/2014We had eaten here once before and at that time, determined we would return. Saturday evening in Kansas City found us late without dinner plans. Open Table indicated that Michael Forbes had a table available so we booked and drove 30 minutes. We were seated promptly; the food was terrific and the service outstanding. The atmosphere was quiet; it was a wonderful experience. This may become a staple when we visit Kansas City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FindQuietdinerDined on 8/8/2014Michael Forbes is a great Brookside neighborhood restaurant. Staff is friendly and food relatively good. Fried catfish is very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was great and the menu had a good variety to choose from. Our server was EXCELLENT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerskerns86Dined on 8/1/2014Saw a Groupon and decided to give Michael Forbes a try. I came in with my girlfriend and parents before the One Republic concert and was surprisingly able to be sat right away. Our waitress was great! I forget her name but she was a young African American girl, probably in her 20's, very friendly and attentive. The fish tacos, dill chicken and fish and chips were all good. The prime rib sandwich on the other hand was way overcooked and didn't have much flavor. Maybe upgrade from the cheap silverware, too. Overall, I was satisfied. I'll be back for more tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- down to earthHappyDined on 7/31/2014This is truly a neighborhood place. Food was good. Service was great. Good place to take friends out to dinner.Special Features:
- The following 311 reviews are from the Michael Forbes Bar & Grille reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2014There was a mix up with my veggie sandwich. They brought me a meat sandwich. Husband's veggie burger was burnt. They took it off the bill. Waitress was good.
- Good findRajoDined on 7/27/2014This was our first time to visit Michael Forbe's, and we enjoyed our meal. It is a good neighborhood restaurant that is friendly to families. The food was good and the staff were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hmmm, so so.FromLeawoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food on our visit was not cooked properly or did it taste that good. Messy presentation. Disappointing.
- CharlieTwin1Dined on 7/22/2014This is a great place to stop in the neighborhood to get good food.Special Features:
- Our First TimejgnjrosDined on 7/19/2014We went to try something new and found a spot we will go many times. The food was fabulous and the service was personal and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014Food was good and waitress was awesome. Our group arrived in increments and she was very patient and gracious with us.Special Features:
- WonderfulDined on 7/6/2014Our server was the best part of our experience at Michael Forbes, she was very good and attentive and had a great personality.Special Features:
- Reliable and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Michael Forbes is under appreciated. Unique calamari appetizer is a must-have. The half chicken was fall off the bone good, and orzo tender and lightly flavored. All around good meal worth it's cost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise!JimFVIPDined on 6/26/2014We were very happy that we tried this restaurant and we will be back!Special Features:
- Won't ReturnJMMHVIPDined on 6/22/2014My daughter and I went on a Sunday evening. We wrote in advance, no black pepper. We arrived and confirmed with the server, no black pepper. The Ahi Tuna was fresh, good and no black pepper. We also got ribs that came with fries and beans and crab cakes. It all, even the fries, had black pepper. Additionally, all of it tasted like prepared food with the exception of the Ahi Tuna. That plate was fresh and good. But we are not going back.
- Good food but...Kcf0odie89Dined on 6/21/2014The resturant was extremely warm and humid inside. Beer was served warm. Food was good but probably won't be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- You have to try it.KCLongDined on 6/14/2014I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The snapper was a wonderful.Special Features: